Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, andytrains said:

Why, after all these years are we using Tension Lock Couplings?

They are obtrusive and detract from models.

And don't get me started about the monstrosities they put on N gauge models.

Just my opinion!

Commercial reality. Hornby Dublo, Peco,  Trix and then Playcraft all used a knuckle coupler based on a Patent, IIRC by the Pritchard who was PECO’s founder. Tri-ang didn’t, using an early form of hook and bar. The Tri-ang range stayed the course hence their coupling being the favoured UK style. The lock part of tension lock was a subsequent development to the basic Tri-ang style device. Inertia then kept it as the number one option when later entrants came into the market.

Why the ubiquitous on HO continental loop and spike either wasn’t used early on in the UK, or if it was got dropped, I can’t answer.

Edited by john new
Accidentally double quote now deleted.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Returning to the area for a family funeral about three years ago ............. I looked in at Kiveton Park. A big mistake!

I expect most of us have made that mistake, I rarely visit most of my old haunts now.

My first memory of the railway was just before I was two years old. We were going Brighton to visit one of Mom's ex-army friends for a holiday.  Dad was not train spotting then but was always a railway enthusiast, having many connections on both sides of his family, and even across the 'Company Divide' of LMS and GWR. We went down to New Street to get the tickets for the trip and Dad arranged for that to coincide with his aunt's husband who was a driver at Monument Lane being there working an express. When the train arrived I was duly lifted onto the footplate, my abiding memory being the heat. When the train was due out and the guard waved his green flag Bill lifted me up to pull the whistle then the fireman duly passed me back to Dad who was already on the platform waiting to catch me. 

My next big railway memory was waiting for a train at New Street to go on holiday with my grandparents at the age of four. Grandad was the Proof House lineman at that time so he took me into New Street No.2 box where Walter Pritchard who was pictured in a link I posted about signal box lighting a couple of days ago was on duty. Grandad phone one of the boxes on his patch to check how our train was running and where to get a seat. While we were waiting for the reply Walter took time to explain to me what was going on even though it was a busy summer Saturday morning. Soon the message came back that the train was on time and the last two coaches were empty so we took up position away from the crowd and walked straight on. Next time I spoke to Walter was on my first day with BR, when he was working on New Street panel.

Dad retained his interest in railways to the end, only giving up visiting New Street and heritage railways at the age of 85 when his eyesight was giving problems and Mom's health was deteriorating.

• Like 13

Just in for photography/review, are these...................

1247140727_HornbyCoronationScotcars01.jpg.a570abdf28a62e05bf8cfc97044c36e4.jpg

This 'Coronation Scot' TO from Hornby has a 'put-together' issue; no matter how hard I try, the central part of the underframe (both sides) won't clip into the body as designed. I'll investigate.

1698940311_HornbyCoronationScotcars02.jpg.421206044be34ebb6e1e024b5fd02195.jpg

The Kitchen Car's fit is perfect. 

I have to say, the overall finish is superb.

Does anyone have any opinions on this new range of cars, one way or the other? 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

If my Dad were still around I'm sure he would have wanted the Coronation Scot set. He used to tell of going to the Empire Exhibition in Glasgow in 1938 and seeing the blue streamliner with the full train at the station when they arrived.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I think it always comes to back to being able to say 'I made that'. Nothing can beat that in my opinion.......................

Sorry to be a bit late with a comment - gardening requires attention - Mrs B rightly reminded me.

Afternoon Tony,

I could not agree more with your sentiment although unlike you I also have a lot of "ready to run" loco's from the usual suspects. The diversion, challenge and satisfaction of building your own loco (or coach etc..anything else for the layout) is good for one's wellbeing apart from all the other "rewards".

However, I remember a comment from one of the hobby's guru's (Ian Rice I think?) some time ago.. "its all a fantastic waste of time really..." or words to that effect. So perhaps we need to keep the role our hobby plays in our lives in context. Much more important things in life than our hobby.....I think:keeporder:

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4

Just in for photography/review, are these...................

1247140727_HornbyCoronationScotcars01.jpg.a570abdf28a62e05bf8cfc97044c36e4.jpg

This 'Coronation Scot' TO from Hornby has a 'put-together' issue; no matter how hard I try, the central part of the underframe (both sides) won't clip into the body as designed. I'll investigate.

1698940311_HornbyCoronationScotcars02.jpg.421206044be34ebb6e1e024b5fd02195.jpg

The Kitchen Car's fit is perfect. 

I have to say, the overall finish is superb.

Beautiful models.  I live in hope of an LNER streamliner of equal quality. 

How about a quiet word with Simon?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 30368 said:

Sorry to be a bit late with a comment - gardening requires attention - Mrs B rightly reminded me.

Afternoon Tony,

I could not agree more with your sentiment although unlike you I also have a lot of "ready to run" loco's from the usual suspects. The diversion, challenge and satisfaction of building your own loco (or coach etc..anything else for the layout) is good for one's wellbeing apart from all the other "rewards".

However, I remember a comment from one of the hobby's guru's (Ian Rice I think?) some time ago.. "its all a fantastic waste of time really..." or words to that effect. So perhaps we need to keep the role our hobby plays in our lives in context. Much more important things in life than our hobby.....I think:keeporder:

Kind regards,

Richard B

Thanks Richard,

The 'I made that' is very much a personal comment.

And, I'm very much a 'poacher turned gamekeeper' when it comes to RTR. Why else would I assist manufacturers (in a small way) with their product developments?

I don't know if was Iain Rice who coined the phrase you mention, but it has a ring of truth about it. I recall Chris Hawkins (of Irwell) and I once wringing our hands in frustration over an error in one of my books; only for both of us to reflect 'It ain't a cure for cancer, anyway'; which rather puts it into context.

That said, I'm sure the hobby of railway modelling has been a Godsend to many during lockdown(s). It's certainly helped me to retain some of my (not much left) sanity. Not only that, it's been much more than a hobby to me; it's been a means of earning a living, which also puts it into context. 

Returning to the 'I made that' comment, it's in no way a boast. For instance, I've (grudgingly) noted that the recent Thompson Pacifics from Hornby have proven to be as good (if not better) than any equivalent I've made, other than in the livery interpretation; but, the painting of mine has nothing to do with me! 

It's just that, I always enjoy a 'story'; whether I tell it (with a fair bit of embellishment) or, better still, I'm told one. What really has the guy/girl got to tell me if all he/she has to show me is their ability to pay for an article, then put it on the track, then run it? 

A personalpoint of view, of course.

Regards,

Tony.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

The subject has been discussed...........

The problem for any RTR manufacturer is that to produce any of the LNER streamliners will require complete, entirely new tooling. 

Hornby's recent (and beautiful) 'Coronation Scot' set has been able to use a large amount of the tooling from previous LMS carriages the firm has made. Yes, there has been some new tooling needed, but nowhere near as would be necessary for the making of the LNER streamliners. 

I'm sure a 'Coronation'/'West Riding'/spare set would be popular, but, in original condition, a whole train will be needed. Granted, the 'Coronation Scot' in its current livery would only run as a complete set, but post-War all that's needed is a repaint (I believe), and the individual cars can drop into ordinary trains with ease. It's not just a repaint for the ex-LNER streamliners post-War (though some cars retained dual blue for a short time in BR days). Skirtings will have to go, solebar coverings in many cases and extra doors will be needed. These are major retooling imperatives. 

We can live in hope, though I've already built all the types I need!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 4

Going back to the 'droopy t/l coupling from a couple of pages ago.... when I used to use them _I'm an S&W convert nowadays), if I had any of the slip 'modern type that drooped, they were soon cured by adding a slver of thin plasticard under the coupling, when pushed into the housing.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Just in for photography/review, are these................... 'Coronation Scot' 

Does this count as an opinion?

DSC01144.JPG.cefae24ae67e99d25039818afeb4827b.JPG

As a complete trainset, with matching loco, it is a fantastic sight. I splashed out as a little indulgence, mainly with exhibitions in mind. With a suitable trainset to run it on, it should hopefully be an eye-catching sight to entertain show visitors.

As individual vehicles, they add additional Stanier coaches to the Hornby range HOWEVER the roofs are with the pressure ventilation duct moulded in as a single unit, rather than attached separately, so straight re-liverying into ordinary service condition would not appear to be a straightforward option.

The exception is the 50ft kitchen cars as you have illustrated as they do not have the PV ducting fitted. However, there is a quirk here as well. It was 'discovered' by several purchasers that the kitchen cars run on 8 foot bogies as opposed to the standard 9 foot bogies of the other cars. It turns out that, whereas standard service kitchen cars ran on the usual 9 foot bogies, for reasons that aren't totally clear, the kitchen cars that were prepared for the Coronation Scot were fitted with 8 foot bogies which appears to be a retrograde step. (I wonder whether it was to create extra space underneath for larger gas tanks?) Full marks to Hornby however for researching this and creating a separate bogie type. However, in doing so - yes there's another 'however' - the side frames appear to be set ever so slightly (a 'twitch' in your language) too far apart meaning that the wheelsets don't run properly as a pin point bearing. Try pushing the one you have along the track and see if it runs freely ... or not.

Overall - a notable project from Hornby which I think they have pulled off very well, only requiring a few little tweaks by the modeller to make it truly top drawer. And - as ever - how much time and effort would you spend to create something similar?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 14

A2/3 'Mushy Peas' has taken a bit of a back seat, while a much bigger project has been progressing. Whilst that project is in the drying phase again, a quick recap on 'Mushy'. I carried out a paint test on the right hand side rear driving wheel. I feel that this is a much improved LNER green. It's a very close match to that used by Laurie Loveless on his Gauge One and O gauge LNER locomotives, he uses the same paint supplier as the LNER. I shall try a couple of further paint tests before the final repaint decision is made and a bit of surgery is required on the tender but all being well, 'Mushy Peas' will  be requiring a new name and number quite soon.

208487285_LNERgreenreardrvingwheeltest.jpg.5fcc49f05317b1039041925d8fa4586c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Going back to the 'droopy t/l coupling from a couple of pages ago.... when I used to use them _I'm an S&W convert nowadays), if I had any of the slip 'modern type that drooped, they were soon cured by adding a slver of thin plasticard under the coupling, when pushed into the housing.

Stewart

But droop is not their worst problem the loops are too darn small. I very much doubt you could back a rake of those new LMS coaches over a set track reverse curve. OK most people who buy them won’t but if 2nd radius is supposed to be the acceptable minimum for modern r-t-r locomotives manufacturers need to supply a coupling across their range that can cope with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Does this count as an opinion?

DSC01144.JPG.cefae24ae67e99d25039818afeb4827b.JPG

As a complete trainset, with matching loco, it is a fantastic sight. I splashed out as a little indulgence, mainly with exhibitions in mind. With a suitable trainset to run it on, it should hopefully be an eye-catching sight to entertain show visitors.

As individual vehicles, they add additional Stanier coaches to the Hornby range HOWEVER the roofs are with the pressure ventilation duct moulded in as a single unit, rather than attached separately, so straight re-liverying into ordinary service condition would not appear to be a straightforward option.

The exception is the 50ft kitchen cars as you have illustrated as they do not have the PV ducting fitted. However, there is a quirk here as well. It was 'discovered' by several purchasers that the kitchen cars run on 8 foot bogies as opposed to the standard 9 foot bogies of the other cars. It turns out that, whereas standard service kitchen cars ran on the usual 9 foot bogies, for reasons that aren't totally clear, the kitchen cars that were prepared for the Coronation Scot were fitted with 8 foot bogies which appears to be a retrograde step. (I wonder whether it was to create extra space underneath for larger gas tanks?) Full marks to Hornby however for researching this and creating a separate bogie type. However, in doing so - yes there's another 'however' - the side frames appear to be set ever so slightly (a 'twitch' in your language) too far apart meaning that the wheelsets don't run properly as a pin point bearing. Try pushing the one you have along the track and see if it runs freely ... or not.

Overall - a notable project from Hornby which I think they have pulled off very well, only requiring a few little tweaks by the modeller to make it truly top drawer. And - as ever - how much time and effort would you spend to create something similar?

A very worthwhile opinion!

I thought the coaches retained the pressure ventilation into BR days, Graham. 

Didn't Robert Carroll show a picture of one in a BR service train some little time ago?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Headstock said:

A2/3 'Mushy Peas' has taken a bit of a back seat, while a much bigger project has been progressing. Whilst that project is in the drying phase again, a quick recap on 'Mushy'. I carried out a paint test on the right hand side rear driving wheel. I feel that this is a much improved LNER green. It's a very close match to that used by Laurie Loveless on his Gauge One and O gauge LNER locomotives, he uses the same paint supplier as the LNER. I shall try a couple of further paint tests before the final repaint decision is made and a bit of surgery is required on the tender but all being well, 'Mushy Peas' will  be requiring a new name and number quite soon.

208487285_LNERgreenreardrvingwheeltest.jpg.5fcc49f05317b1039041925d8fa4586c.jpg

Hello Andrew, that's very interesting.

Can you please tell us how you would describe - and how you achieved - the difference in colour? What I mean is, does your new version include more yellow, or some other colour? Would you say it's has a slightly more 'olive' tinge, compared to "Mushy's" original shade being perhaps slightly minty? Is there perhaps more blue in that original shade, the one still on the rest of the loco?

Quite understand if you prefer not to share techniques you're still working on - I'm asking because I'm struggling with matching and judging some of the greens in use on the GNR and LNER and have been reading quite a bit, trying to make sense of descriptions and relate them to various samples, photos and so forth. I'd like to understand more about what makes different shades of a colour appear so different...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Andrew, that's very interesting.

Can you please tell us how you would describe - and how you achieved - the difference in colour? What I mean is, does your new version include more yellow, or some other colour? Would you say it's has a slightly more 'olive' tinge, compared to "Mushy's" original shade being perhaps slightly minty? Is there perhaps more blue in that original shade, the one still on the rest of the loco?

Quite understand if you prefer not to share techniques you're still working on - I'm asking because I'm struggling with matching and judging some of the greens in use on the GNR and LNER and have been reading quite a bit, trying to make sense of descriptions and relate them to various samples, photos and so forth. I'd like to understand more about what makes different shades of a colour appear so different...

Good evening Chas,

you are correct, the Hornby colour is in the cold/blue end of the colour temperature spectrum when it should be in the warm end (yellow/red) The same is true of their BR green. Fortunately, there are many paint manufactures out there that can help you along, as they have produced superior renditions of LNER and BR green. If you wish to go further, they can also be easier to customise than mixing from scratch. Think of the LNER colour in terms of a English meadow on a summers day. The LNER and GNR referred to it as Grass green but if you like apples, then few would consider an apple to be mint coloured. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have absolutely no records of these coaches working north, or east of London on other Regions, not even on the long distance, summer holiday trains from the Midlands and North to the South (usually Bournemouth) and West (including Sidmouth and Exmouth). 

I haven't seen any evidence of them on services through Snow Hill. My recollection of these was that the summer trains were mainly Maunsells and some long Bulleids until the Kent Cost electrification when the Mk1s appeared on some services. A lot of the Bournemouths went via New Street and the S&D and were largely LMS and LNER stock, although I have seen an instance of Bullieds at Bromsgrove, just need to find it again but I think they were long ones.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 30368 said:

I think that quote sounds rather like Oscar Wilde's, "All art is quite useless".  At first reading it's easy to misunderstand what he meant, which is that the things in life that have no real use or importance, are what make life worth living.

• Round of applause 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

A very worthwhile opinion!

I thought the coaches retained the pressure ventilation into BR days, Graham 

Sorry Tony, I didn't explain myself very well. Unlike the LNER streamlined trains, the Coronation Scot vehicles were not purpose designed for the train, they were just examples of regular Stanier coaching stock 'blinged up' for the train. Other examples of the same diagram number were running around in other trains.

So my point is that, in creating the Coro Scot train, Hornby have added further diagram numbers to the pool of Stanier RTR vehicles available. But they can't easily be turned out as other 'everyday' examples of the same vehicle type because of the moulded PV roofs, except for the kitchen cars (which would then need 9 foot versus 8 foot bogies ...)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I mentioned it in a recent email with Simon. I said I hope the Coronation Scot sells really well so they consider doing an LNER Coronation.

I've actually got a Mailcoach set stashed away (for more than 25 years) but I've got too many pre-grouping brass coaches to build plus locos that I know now I'll never get around to the Coronation!

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Additional comment
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, andytrains said:

Why, after all these years are we using Tension Lock Couplings?

They are obtrusive and detract from models.

And don't get me started about the monstrosities they put on N gauge models.

Just my opinion!

Hi Andy

I do because they work and as a one man operator at home I cannot be bothered with any other type.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Speaking from a position of total ignorance, I wonder if the underframe is the wrong way round (i.e. if you try to fit it the right way round it doesn't fit but if you fit it the wrong way round it does).

3 hours ago, Iain.d said:

We have had some very wet and stormy weather in Perth over the last day or so which has meant I had to spend more time indoors modelling, rather than outside tidying up the garden…

The time has allowed me to finish off part of a breakdown train that I’m putting together.  I cut down a Ratio Lavatory Brake Third bogie carriage and converted it to a 6 wheel 31ft MR Clerestory to be used as a crew coach. Its finished in dark grey (Vallejo German Tank Crew 333). The transfers I did myself, basing the wording on images I found on the internet and finished with a sprayed matt varnish.  The W irons are Bill Bedford and the chassis/underframe built from plastic sheet, brass strip and wire. It has Midland sprung buffers and screw couplings.

172104792_Ratio6WheelConversion(06).jpg.3089a46900616f560ba41ee10e6563e5.jpg

It’ll be paired up with this Worsley Works Caledonian Railway 45ft Full Brake masquerading as a tool van.  There’s a little modellers licence here as none of these brakes survived beyond about 1937 and my current period of interest is the 1950s, which going on recent discussions of when we base our models, is about 15 years before I was born. This kit soldered together beautifully, literally ‘falling together’. It is running on Roxey Fox bogies and has sprung buffers – these are LNWR ones as I couldn’t seem to find the right Caledonian Railway ones. I need to cut down or paint the bogie fixing/mounting screws. 

1622322185_CaledonianRailway45ftFullBrake(07).jpg.fda694ca935bf502117ab6f6875c173d.jpg

It sits much lower than the 6 wheeler; both are the right height (I think) but I suspect the Full Brake had gas lamps on the roof, where I have put the vents, and also some sort of skylight box on the roof. Certainly some of the very similar LNWR Full Brakes seemed to have this feature.

989250531_Ratio6WheelCR45ftFullBrake.jpg.b065bb49710d46970ed116d446c4a8ed.jpg

In the queue to build soon is the accompanying D&S Cowan Sheldon 15T crane and its match truck.

Kind regards,

Iain

I have been eager to see your work and the result was worth the wait,well done. Doug.

• Thanks 1