Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2021 at 19:08, robertcwp said:

Don't forget the carriage roofboards and end boards/pipes and dropped-head buck-eyes on the ends of trains, etc.

Well many of the GN trains were fitted with roof boards where appropriate and practical , I fitted them.  There are a few commercial products for them which weren’t suitable, for example the boards and word spaces being too long, so those that we’re designed for use on Mk1’s weren’t applied to Gresley or Thompson coaches where they clearly couldn’t fit due to the prototype roof board mountings, and where the boards would have been too long. For the date Roy was modelling some roof boards didn’t have the right location mix on either, still those too weren’t used. Some of the consists were made from a blend of Roy’s personal stock and loaned items, loaned items generally weren’t fitted as they weren’t ‘ours’ to alter, there were a few exceptions to that though. End boards weren’t fitted, some designs were out of era, and on the prototype were not used in any great numbers by the date Roy was modelling, so we left them off. 
Buckeyes and pipes were under discussion, (glacially) and again I’m certain would likely have been subject to owned/loaned. Tail lamps weren’t fitted, Roy didn’t like the older white metal cast lamps in any case, and it’s only relatively recently that the higher quality LMS/Modelu lamps have been available.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PMP said:

Well many of the GN trains were fitted with roof boards where appropriate and practical , I fitted them.  There are a few commercial products for them which weren’t suitable, for example the boards and word spaces being too long, so those that we’re designed for use on Mk1’s weren’t applied to Gresley or Thompson coaches where they clearly couldn’t fit due to the prototype roof board mountings, and where the boards would have been too long. For the date Roy was modelling some roof boards didn’t have the right location mix on either, still those too weren’t used. Some of the consists were made from a blend of Roy’s personal stock and loaned items, loaned items generally weren’t fitted as they weren’t ‘ours’ to alter, there were a few exceptions to that though. End boards weren’t fitted, some designs were out of era, and on the prototype were not used in any great numbers by the date Roy was modelling, so we left them off. 
Buckeyes and pipes were under discussion, (glacially) and again I’m certain would likely have been subject to owned/loaned. Tail lamps weren’t fitted, Roy didn’t like the older white metal cast lamps in any case, and it’s only relatively recently that the higher quality LMS/Modelu lamps have been available.

The trains that I recall had boards already were The Flying Scotsman, The Heart of Midlothian, The Queen of Scots and possibly one or two others. I can't remember whether The Yorkshire Pullman has them or not. The Talisman, The West Riding and The Elizabethan did not. Loaned stock, apart from my own, does not have them. 

I tried some commercially available roof boards but switched to making my own. I'm not entirely happy with the commercially available ones I put on The Talisman and may replace them with some I have made. Similarly with the boards I put on my carriages that went into the HoM to make the formation more accurate. They will come off and be replaced at some point.

I don't suppose you or anyone else knows what the boards on the Boat Train (Liverpool-Harwich) said? I can't find any decent photos but boards appear to have been carried on at least some carriages.

I agree about the lamps - all those I have put on Retford are Lanarkshire Models ones. There are lots!

Roy did have an out-of-period 1960s-style end board on the BCK on The Elizabethan. It's so well stuck on that I could not change it without risking damage, so it's staying where it is, as are a few others. I recycled other Bachmann ones to the front carriages, as they are less conspicuous there. The front carriage end boards were generally fitted I believe, except where a corridor tender was in use. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

^^
No idea re the boat trains, I worked from Roy’s instructions, and from books in his and Geoff’s library when doing the consists. 

With the end board if it’s a paper one it’ll cut off with a new scalpel blade, and then make good with sanding sticks+paint. Alternatively the easier option will be to paint it black and then weather it to reduce the fresh paint.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robertcwp said:

There seems to be some sort of group denial about where that kit is going! :laugh:

So that the mystery can be solved, it was me. 

I have been in search of a 3521 for quite a while and the rare ones that have cropped up on Ebay have gone for horrific prices. Under the circumstances, I was happy to offer 140GBP and the money is going to a good cause. 

Thank you Sandra and Tony.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 8

36 minutes ago, PMP said:

^^
No idea re the boat trains, I worked from Roy’s instructions, and from books in his and Geoff’s library when doing the consists. 

With the end board if it’s a paper one it’ll cut off with a new scalpel blade, and then make good with sanding sticks+paint. Alternatively the easier option will be to paint it black and then weather it to reduce the fresh paint.

Thanks. The boat train will have to remain without boards for now. The set has changed somewhat from Roy's day as only five carriages that were in the train when Sandra acquired the layout remain there, the others having been redistributed or, in one case, taken off the layout.

The end board on The Elizabethan BCK is the Bachmann plastic one that comes with their Mark 1 BSKs and BCKs. It's more typical of the 1960s. It's very firmly glued on. 

I normally attach end boards with black tack. They remain in place but can be changed easily. All the MJT etched ones I put on Retford trains are done that way so they can come off if someone else can do better.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Both those types are available from MJT if I remember correctly, so they’d be a reasonably straightforward replacement if the Bachmann one is irreparable. Replica Model Railways are also likely to have a  Mk1 gangway available as a spare.

• Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

Re, the signal 'Falling over' on Retford, I think  Roy 'Pushed' it over, his way of saying, 'that loco's not heavy enough'..........:P

Terry, (aka manna)

• Funny 7

10 hours ago, Craigw said:

So that the mystery can be solved, it was me. 

I have been in search of a 3521 for quite a while and the rare ones that have cropped up on Ebay have gone for horrific prices. Under the circumstances, I was happy to offer 140GBP and the money is going to a good cause. 

Thank you Sandra and Tony.

Regards,

Craig W

I wasn't going to say Craig..................

Thanks for your generosity.

The other thanks are due to Sandra, who donated the model. I'm just part of the postal chain. It'll be on its way to you early next week. I'll have quite a pile to take to the Post Office! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I don't suppose you or anyone else knows what the boards on the Boat Train (Liverpool-Harwich) said? I can't find any decent photos but boards appear to have been carried on at least some carriages.

Hello Robert

I may be wrong here, but I have a feeling that a roof board is visible in a British Transport Film...the problem is, which one!

I'll have a look through some possible suspects soon.

Not suitable for Retford, but one 'cinema film ' that was on TV recently had a very clear view of Cambridge Buffet Express boards on some crimson & cream stock departing King's Cross.

Brian

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Would I be correct in thinking that train reversed at Manchester Central having arrived in off the CLC route, then took the Fallowfield loop to Guide Bridge where it would have handed over to electric traction? Two loco changes within 10 miles / 20 mins of each other!

I've had a look in a couple of my Manchester-centric books. No luck so far but I've got a couple more I can check out...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/06/2021 at 21:50, Tony Wright said:

Some more (rather splendid) new books in for review.................

740128791_DerbyshirePeak.jpg.47af1e6670e95bbd9eb458dbb5594760.jpg

Fascinating.

1700245014_LBSCRCarriagesVol4.jpg.0eea75c20ea36500397e7cff6b4fd0b1.jpg

A new 'standard work' on the subject.

1341166198_MarketHarborough.jpg.1d5621f319e2ec4511ca5f6c6df16b49.jpg

Rather good. 

338227101_NorthWalesChesterandtheWirral.jpg.98b58440137404f3bcdbf784865af235.jpg

I proof read this and suggested captions.

940545231_StandardPacifics.jpg.c2a12e3215dae23c1055d1ac6269d878.jpg

And, I did the same for this. 

Good morning Tony,

Where will your review of the book on the first 25 years of BR in North Wales, Chester & the Wirral be published? I ask because like you it was my stomping ground having been born & brought up In Bebington & later lived for a short time in Chester.

William

46 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Would I be correct in thinking that train reversed at Manchester Central having arrived in off the CLC route, then took the Fallowfield loop to Guide Bridge where it would have handed over to electric traction? Two loco changes within 10 miles / 20 mins of each other!

I've had a look in a couple of my Manchester-centric books. No luck so far but I've got a couple more I can check out...

Correct. Two carriages added at Manchester Central and two more including buffet added at Sheffield Victoria. 

Thanks for looking. I have not had any luck so far. 

12 hours ago, PMP said:

Both those types are available from MJT if I remember correctly, so they’d be a reasonably straightforward replacement if the Bachmann one is irreparable. Replica Model Railways are also likely to have a  Mk1 gangway available as a spare.

Indeed they are. I have used MJT ones on Retford but they were out of stock recently. 

• RMweb Gold

Hello Robert

There is photo of the loco and first carriage at Sheffield Victoria 1954 in the book Steam Around Sheffeld, Mike Hitches.

The boards cannot be read in the printed book, but the photo is credited to B Green - perhaps Brian Green of SRRS?

Brian

52 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Robert

There is photo of the loco and first carriage at Sheffield Victoria 1954 in the book Steam Around Sheffeld, Mike Hitches.

The boards cannot be read in the printed book, but the photo is credited to B Green - perhaps Brian Green of SRRS?

Brian

Unfortunately no longer in SRRS. 

• RMweb Gold

Hello Robert

Colin (last name escapes me!) of Stony Stratford used to have some involvement with his photos. I can't recall if he was SRRS or Mangotsfield Railway Circle.

Memory kicked in: Colin Stacey!

Brian

Edited by BMacdermott
Added name