Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Theakerr said:

A signaling technical question because one answer would make life easier to synchronize the signals with the trains.  I suspect the answer will not be that one I would prefer but it doesn't hurt to ask the collective knowledge of the thread.  So on a through passenger train scheduled to stop at a station would the home starter always be set against it (and not pulled off until the signalman was ready), or if the block was clear could the home starter signal be set to clear with the process of stopping controlled by the driver knowing he had to stop at that station?  Fingers crossed!

If "Line Clear" has been received from the signal box in advance then the section signal (which is the Starting signal or Advanced Starting signal if there is one) can be pulled Off. If all the stop signals are Off the Distant signal can also be pulled Off.

The term "home starter" is not common in the UK although it is in Australia.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Theakerr said:

A signaling technical question because one answer would make life easier to synchronize the signals with the trains.  I suspect the answer will not be that one I would prefer but it doesn't hurt to ask the collective knowledge of the thread.  So on a through passenger train scheduled to stop at a station would the home starter always be set against it (and not pulled off until the signalman was ready), or if the block was clear could the home starter signal be set to clear with the process of stopping controlled by the driver knowing he had to stop at that station?  Fingers crossed!

That depends on the period under discussion. Modern practice (where equipment permits it) is that a signal will be cleared if the section it controls is unoccupied, whether or not there is a train approaching. On some lines this is done automatically and on others by a signaller after previous movements pass clear, in readiness for the next booked working. The underlying principle is that you can't have a SPAD on a green signal, so signals should be green unless there is a reason for them not to be. 

Some signals must, however, be maintained at danger for specific reasons, typically (but not exhaustively) at crossing places on single lines, where the signal also protects a level crossing, or to facilitate line blockages granted for work needing to be done. 

The first category may be quite variable, with section (including any formerly aka starting) signals being held at danger if there is to be a crossing movement, but cleared if there is not.  This is the case at my former location, where the majority of crosses nowadays take place at the next loop up the line if the service is running as intended.  The second is self explanatory but drivers should only see greens, so long as the crossing is being worked normally. The third, unless things have changed materially in the last nine years, is "most of the time", though these should be, and usually are, given up early enough that signals can be cleared before drivers are in a position to see them.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

If "Line Clear" has been received from the signal box in advance then the section signal (which is the Starting signal or Advanced Starting signal if there is one) can be pulled Off. If all the stop signals are Off the Distant signal can also be pulled Off.

The term "home starter" is not common in the UK although it is in Australia.

"Home" and "Starter" are two entirely separate things in UK practice; home signals control the exit from sections into station limits and what used to be called starters control the entry to sections, when leaving station limits.

The terms "starter" and "starting signal" had already been expunged from the rule book by the time I joined the railway in 1992, so far as I remember.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

"Home" and "Starter" are two entirely separate things in UK practice, and the term "starter" had already been expunged from the rule book by the time I was one in 1992, so far as I remember.

John 

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether "home starter" might have been in use in ancient times, which is why I was hedging my bets a bit.

I did assume, rightly or wrongly, that @Theakerr's question referred to semaphore signals. Apologies to him if I was wrong.

Fascinating points regarding signals.............................  Many thanks for the comments. 

One question, if I may? One of my tasks is to either write captions to (prototype) photographs or to comment on captions. These are almost invariably in the steam-era, so most signals in any pictures are semaphores.

Now, I was always told that a 'board' should never be returned to 'on' until the final vehicle in any train had passed it. One signalman (steam-era, remember) informed me that one of the guard's duties was to look out for signals and check that all was well. If he (again steam-era) noted a 'board' at danger as his 'van swept by, he'd apply the brakes, assuming the driver had missed it. 

Is this correct? The reason I ask is that, on reviewing a recently-published book, there are several examples where the 'board' has been returned to 'on', yet the train is only halfway (if that) past it. 

Regarding signals being 'off' for stopping trains, that was always the case at Little Bytham (unless the section ahead was occupied). Some guest operators will leave the starter 'on' until the train is due to depart. 

Another thing I see on layouts, which, unless they're prototype-based, are incorrectly-sited distant signals. On fast main lines, unless the block posts come thick and fast (as in stations, for instance), most distants would be a long way from the homes they protect; thus, way off-scene on most model railways. Bytham's were a long way away. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It certainly used to be the case, hence the provision of periscopes (or duckets) on brake-end coaches. It's before my time, and I stand to be corrected, but IIRC, the requirement for the guard to check signals disappeared as a result of the 1964 amendments to the Rule Book. 

That would make sense, because another change that happened then was that the brake van in a fully fitted goods could be marshalled anywhere in the train.

Naturally, though, it remained necessary not to return a signal to danger until the entire train had passed it, as to do so would make it possible to move any points with which it was interlocked, creating a risk of doing so under the moving train. 

The problem with only clearing the section signal when the train is due to leave is that, on arrival, it will not have "got" the distant, so will have lost a minute or two on the approach through slowing down early. "My" down distant was at 2,002 yards, but fortunately was a colour light by the time I got involved with it! That's roughly 79 feet in 4mm scale....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Addition
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Now, I was always told that a 'board' should never be returned to 'on' until the final vehicle in any train had passed it. One signalman (steam-era, remember) informed me that one of the guard's duties was to look out for signals and check that all was well. If he (again steam-era) noted a 'board' at danger as his 'van swept by, he'd apply the brakes, assuming the driver had missed it. 

Indeed so - and it was, IIRC, one of the contributing causes of the head-on collision outside Hull Paragon in 1927, where a signal lever was put back in the frame early, which for a split second released the locking & allowed a set of points to be reversed...

Mark

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2021 at 21:28, robertcwp said:

The end board on The Elizabethan BCK is the Bachmann plastic one that comes with their Mark 1 BSKs and BCKs. It's more typical of the 1960s. It's very firmly glued on. 

The next time you’re up there if @sandra is happy, ping me a message through here, and if I’m not working I’ll take a look at it with you.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Theakerr said:

Amongst other jobs on the Big Railway I was employed as a Guard for several years up to 2010, which included working trains on lines which still had semaphore signalling.

On stopping at a station and stepping onto the platform, you would expect to see the 'starter' at the end of the platform pulled off; in fact if it wasn't it would indicate 'something wrong' (e.g. previous train still in section).  I am thinking of somewhere like Gilberdyke, a junction on the line to Hull.  Even at a place with a level crossing at the end of the platforms you'd expect to see the gates already open to the railway and the signal pulled off, unless the signalman had been delayed for some reason.

I couldn't give the "Train ready to start" to the Driver unless the platform starting signal was off, but beyond that I wasn't required to check signals.  Nevertheless from the back cab it was sometimes possible to see the signals being 'put back' after the train had passed and it often seemed the signalman would put them all back one after the other in quick succession, e.g. Distant, Home, Starter, presumably after he had finished doing 'other things', e.g. working the Block instruments?

18 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Indeed so - and it was, IIRC, one of the contributing causes of the head-on collision outside Hull Paragon in 1927, where a signal lever was put back in the frame early, which for a split second released the locking & allowed a set of points to be reversed...

Mark

Apart from the requirement for the Guard to check the signals for his train as mentioned earlier, I'm sure I have read that it was a requirement to not put signals back until the whole train had passed over any points which were locked by the signal, to guard against the possibility of the points becoming unlocked and being moved under the train.  I presume that has been superseded with the more widespread use of track circuiting which detect where the train actually is, but might well have applied at many places during the steam era.

In fact it might not have applied at Hull Paragon in 1927 as I think it was an early power installation with track circuiting, but the unlucky signalman just happened to find a 'window' when the points weren't locked?

Quite often on model railways at exhibitions you see semaphores being put back as the loco passes; I think it's because people have become used to watching how colour lights work nowadays i.e. they change automatically to red as the front of the train passes them, but that wasn't always the case.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Theakerr said:

Ask a simple (ha!) signalling question; gets lots of complex / ah-yes-but - but generally erudite responses. 

I think the important principle to appreciate is that, if a train is stopped at a station, undergoing its legitimate station duties, and the signal at the end of the platform gets pulled 'off', that is NOT the signal for the driver to set off. Otherwise he runs the risk of leaving a trail in his wake of open doors, strewn luggage and passengers being dragged along by their coat tails...

It is the guard's job to give the 'ready to start' signal to the driver in such circumstances. Having been given that signal, the driver should then check that the signal (if there is one) is clear before proceeding.

Edited by LNER4479
Apologies - similar post to 31A above who was obviously thinking along similar lines!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just to add to the Signal debate.  The requirement with regard to not putting a Semaphore Signal back to Danger until the train has passed the signal still applies.  Most of it relates to the relevant section of line’s regulations and mechanical interlocking within the Signalbox controlling the Signal.  Any electrical interlocking or track circuits present are add-ons.  Therefore the rules with regard to mechanical interlocking still apply.  
At Junctions or pointwork it is expected the Signaller, (p.s. I loathe this word), must not touch a lever, switch or button until the train has passed clear of the Junction or Pointwork, once it is set and a train is signalled to proceed.  Hence a Semaphore Signal stays Off, (clear), until the train is past the relevant location.  However, of course, anyone observing a Colour Light Signal, will see it return to Red.  The signalling system does this, not the Signaller.  
New staff in traditional Signalboxes, sometimes have to be reminded to keep away from the levers, until the train has past to prevent the unexpected.  Mechanical Interlocking can go awry and will, if the requirements are not followed, as commented about Hull Paragon.  Ironically, recently a train was derailed in Scotland under a clear semaphore, when it took the diverging route at a facing crossover onto the line.  Also this week there’s been a Semaphore stuck Off in the County Durham area.  That delayed a few trains.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Quite often on model railways at exhibitions you see semaphores being put back as the loco passes; I think it's because people have become used to watching how colour lights work nowadays i.e. they change automatically to red as the front of the train passes them, but that wasn't always the case.

On both Grantham and Shap, it has been very instructive to have professional signalmen (<-- to use the traditional title, Paul!) operate the layout - I regard myself as a mere enthusiastic amateur in that regard. I have been put right by them several times on this issue!

One interesting example is on Shap. When a train is being banked, then - I was told - the section (starter) signal is put back to danger as soon as the train engine has past so that the driver of the banking engine has the correct 'stop' aspect as he approaches that signal and slows to a stand.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Another thing I see on layouts, which, unless they're prototype-based, are incorrectly-sited distant signals. On fast main lines, unless the block posts come thick and fast (as in stations, for instance), most distants would be a long way from the homes they protect; thus, way off-scene on most model railways. Bytham's were a long way away. 

I think modellers perhaps have to be forgiven for such things, after all distant signals are attractive things, a well documented part of the railway infrastructure, and allow an exciting new colour to be added to the lever frame. On my layout I've got areas that are only a few feet apart, but in my mind, there's rather more imaginary railway lying between them. Allowable in a home layout context, perhaps, where extreme compromises are all but inevitable?

• Agree 3

Advice from an ex-signaller with regard to operating Harton Gill was that the signals on the entrance to/exit from the colliery should be pulled off in both directions when shunting past them down to the limit of shunt board, so that is how it is done. Signals are then put back before any move in or out is signalled.

With regard to operation of Retford, I did wonder about how the distants on the GN in particular should be worked. South Box controls the Queen's Boards distant and North Box controls the distant arms on the gantry just south of the flat crossing. I assume that the distants should not be pulled off until the next home or starter (apologies if this is not the correct term) is also off, which requires each operator to pay attention to what the other is doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PMP said:

The next time you’re up there if @sandra is happy, ping me a message through here, and if I’m not working I’ll take a look at it with you.

Thanks for the offer. It's not a major problem that the rear carriage of The Elizabethan has one of the later BR end boards. It could be changed but I'd rather not mess around with the carriage as Roy made it such a good match for the kit-built Thompson stock it runs with that I think it can remain as it is. As the train passes at the scale 65 mph, it's much less noticeable than the fact that the train correctly has a tail lamp - that's the bit you can see from 30' away.  I've run out of MJT end boards anyway and they were out of stock the last time I looked.

Next little Retford project is to de-rib the roofs of a couple of Bachmann Mark 1 BSKs, paint roofs, convert to EM and dirty up a bit, ready to help turn a generic train into a closer representation of the up White Rose. Being a portioned working, it has four brake vehicles in an 11-coach train.

• Like 3

Robert,

On the real semaphore railway, home and distant signals on the same post are "slotted" in the balance lever arrangement so that the distant arm cannot come off unless the stop is also off. However, provided the box in advance has given line clear and cleared all his stop signals (which implies line clear from the box next in advance), there is nothing to stop the distant lever being pulled off too. Once the box in rear pulls off the associated stop signal, both arms will come off simultaneously. I regularly used to see that at my local station of Castleford.

On Retford (the model), there is no mechanical slotting but it is done electrically. In the up direction, South box can pull off the distant arm on Queen's boards so long as the appropriate platform starter is also off, even though North box has not yet cleared the Queen's board starter. Once this is pulled, the distant arm will also rise. To the best of my recollection, all the distants on Retford are electrically slotted in this way. There is thus no reason for each box operator to watch what the other is doing. The train drivers are the ones that need to do that!

To reply to another point, purely in signalling terms, platforms and signal locations have nothing to do with each other - a signal does not need to be present to admit a train to a platform or another one for it to leave. It's just that most station signalling was laid out that way due to the presence of other features such as level crossings, crossovers, siding connections etc.

Edited by Major Clanger
Typos...
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, 31A said:

Amongst other jobs on the Big Railway I was employed as a Guard for several years up to 2010, which included working trains on lines which still had semaphore signalling.

On stopping at a station and stepping onto the platform, you would expect to see the 'starter' at the end of the platform pulled off; in fact if it wasn't it would indicate 'something wrong' (e.g. previous train still in section).  I am thinking of somewhere like Gilberdyke, a junction on the line to Hull.  Even at a place with a level crossing at the end of the platforms you'd expect to see the gates already open to the railway and the signal pulled off, unless the signalman had been delayed for some reason.

I couldn't give the "Train ready to start" to the Driver unless the platform starting signal was off, but beyond that I wasn't required to check signals.  Nevertheless from the back cab it was sometimes possible to see the signals being 'put back' after the train had passed and it often seemed the signalman would put them all back one after the other in quick succession, e.g. Distant, Home, Starter, presumably after he had finished doing 'other things', e.g. working the Block instruments?

Apart from the requirement for the Guard to check the signals for his train as mentioned earlier, I'm sure I have read that it was a requirement to not put signals back until the whole train had passed over any points which were locked by the signal, to guard against the possibility of the points becoming unlocked and being moved under the train.  I presume that has been superseded with the more widespread use of track circuiting which detect where the train actually is, but might well have applied at many places during the steam era.

In fact it might not have applied at Hull Paragon in 1927 as I think it was an early power installation with track circuiting, but the unlucky signalman just happened to find a 'window' when the points weren't locked?

In 1927, there were no Track Circuits at Hull Paragon, if there had been, the accident would never have happened.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

26 minutes ago, Major Clanger said:

Robert,

On the real semaphore railway, home and distant signals on the same post are "slotted" in the balance lever arrangement so that the distant arm cannot come off unless the stop is also off. However, provided the box in advance has given line clear and cleared all his stop signals (which implies line clear from the box next in advance), there is nothing to stop the distant lever being pulled off too. Once the box in rear pulls off the associated stop signal, both arms will come off simultaneously. I regularly used to see that at my local station of Castleford.

On Retford (the model), there is no mechanical slotting but it is done electrically. In the up direction, South box can pull off the distant arm on Queen's boards so long as the appropriate platform starter is also off, even though North box has not yet cleared the Queen's board starter. Once this is pulled, the distant arm will also rise. To the best of my recollection, all the distants on Retford are electrically slotted in this way. There is thus no reason for each box operator to watch what the other is doing. The train drivers are the ones that need to do that!

To reply to another point, purely in signalling terms, platforms and signal locations have nothing to do with each other - a signal does not need to be present to admit a train to a platform or another one for it to leave. It's just that most station signalling was laid out that way due to the presence of other features such as level crossings, crossovers, siding connections etc.

Thanks, I might get the hang of operating Retford one day!  A lever frame is a bit alien to me as most layouts I have operated have had switches on a track diagram, which is what my own layout has. There are no working signals as I never got round to them.

• Friendly/supportive 2

50 minutes ago, Major Clanger said:

Good info from Major Clanger.

The test rig was built for Ricks Queens board can be seen in this post:

The numbers on the switches relate to the corresponding lever  (Switch)  numbers  that need to be pulled for operation.

A schematic , wiring diagram  and operating instructions for the signals that Rick built should be amongst paperwork deposited with Roy.

I think the same happened with the gantries that were built by ML.

Tony Gee would probably be the most knowledgeable person too as on who built what for where and how to get in touch with them as to how things should be operated.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

3 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Paul, the mechanical locking played no part in the 1927 Hull Paragon incident, it was all down to human error and nothing else.

Mick,

I think you missed my point.  Mechanical locking is only as good as the Signalman throwing the levers.  If a lever can be put back in the frame, before the correct moment, the locking is released.  Especially if there are no mechanical train detection bars on the approaches to the pointwork involved.  If the requirement to leave the Levers alone had been followed, the incident may not have happened.

Graham,

I believe it is correct.  In fact somewhere in the Sectional Appendix for Grantham, (back in steam days), there was an instruction that the Station Pilot could only assist a departing passenger train within the platform length.  I would suspect the restoring of the Signal to Danger before the train had completely passed the signal to prevent an Assisting Locomotive, entering the section, would have been in the Signalbox Instructions and Footplate Staff and Guards would be made aware as well, to prevent complaints being made.  Different times to now.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Tony Gee would probably be the most knowledgeable person too as on who built what for where and how to get in touch with them as to how things should be operated.

P

That is kind of you to say but is probably not true any longer.

Several others, including some who have posted about Retford on the thread recently will be far more up to date on things than I am.

I used to be able to reel off what each of the 100 or so levers on North Box did and could work it and the fiddle yard "solo" without looking at the diagram but I was a bit out of favour in the last few years and on a running day I was usually relegated to pulling lever 50 a few times an hour at Babworth, while people who really didn't know the layout well tried to run the main panel.

I found it very frustrating and eventually excused myself from operating it at all. Socialising with the people there was much more fun than being one of the people blamed for the operation not being much good.

Having said that, if there is anything in my memory that is of any use to anybody, I am happy to pass it on.

• Friendly/supportive 7

As with most things, Retford panels take a bit of practice. I did largely get the hang of them but then did not visit for four months during the second wave of COVID so forgot some of it. The levers themselves are not really the problem as there is a diagram. It's more about the idiosyncrasies of how to do certain moves, such as remembering to change the North/South switch at North Box or unplug the up GC controller at South Box and plug it into the other socket to drive out of platform 1 onto the GC then put it back in the regular socket. I have now written a cribsheet for those and several other moves. As I did the new fiddleyard lists including which levers are needed for each road, I have no excuse for failing to learn those. I could do that from home. The simplest thing to get wrong, as with most layouts, is forgetting to restore levers to normal after a move.

The basic sequence I wrote, which is for the moment much simplified from the old one, assumes operators can work out which lever to pull and how to execute each move. Sandra and I tried about two thirds of it when I visited a few weeks ago and it worked well. Decisions will need to be made about couplings and stock modified where necessary to reinstate attaching and detaching moves. At present, there is no DMU but if one reappears we can add some moves for it.

The track layout allows for a simultaneous move from the down GC to platform 3 and from the down GN into the goods avoiding line, but the way the electrics are set up did not seem to permit this as both moves seem to require the GN down slow controller. Grateful for any suggestions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

As with most things, Retford panels take a bit of practice. I did largely get the hang of them but then did not visit for four months during the second wave of COVID so forgot some of it. The levers themselves are not really the problem as there is a diagram. It's more about the idiosyncrasies of how to do certain moves, such as remembering to change the North/South switch at North Box or unplug the up GC controller at South Box and plug it into the other socket to drive out of platform 1 onto the GC then put it back in the regular socket. I have now written a cribsheet for those and several other moves. As I did the new fiddleyard lists including which levers are needed for each road, I have no excuse for failing to learn those. I could do that from home. The simplest thing to get wrong, as with most layouts, is forgetting to restore levers to normal after a move.

The basic sequence I wrote, which is for the moment much simplified from the old one, assumes operators can work out which lever to pull and how to execute each move. Sandra and I tried about two thirds of it when I visited a few weeks ago and it worked well. Decisions will need to be made about couplings and stock modified where necessary to reinstate attaching and detaching moves. At present, there is no DMU but if one reappears we can add some moves for it.

The track layout allows for a simultaneous move from the down GC to platform 3 and from the down GN into the goods avoiding line, but the way the electrics are set up did not seem to permit this as both moves seem to require the GN down slow controller. Grateful for any suggestions.

Some of the cab control switching was not really intuitive. You throw some crossovers but you needed to learn which bits of track end up on which controller.

The twin moves you suggest would not be able to happen together as you are quite right, they would both need the Down Slow controller.

Platform 1 had a manual switch to select either the main or slow controller but Platform 3 didn't have the same facility.

Anybody who wants to start modifying the wiring to allow the move is much braver than me. Roy explained to me how he did it once and his idea of logic and mine are quite different!

There is still plenty of scope for simultaneous movements. One good one was through Pl 1 to the GC plus one on the the up main. We called that the "Red Arrows" move due to the way the trains would split away from each other, with the locos side by side through the platforms. Or there was my favourite, putting a goods on the down slow and running an express past it and bringing the goods back out behind it without stopping the goods. That requires great teamwork from South Box, North Box and Babworth and good speed judgement from the drivers but when it went right, it was superb to watch.

Another one was something coming round Whisker Hill curve onto the up main while another train went into Platform 1.

• Like 5