Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Headstock said:

How many ships can you name that required 15 to twenty hits for it too be disabled or be sunk? Forgive me but It sounds like some silly computer game. My Great uncles Ship certainly wasn't sunk by that rule of thumb.

Perhaps someone can confirm but I seem to remember that the Yamato and Musashi, the two largest battleships ever built, were sunk by 23 bombs, 4 torpedoes and 17 bombs, 11 torpedoes respectively.  

• Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Perhaps someone can confirm but I seem to remember that the Yamato and Musashi, the two largest battleships ever built, were sunk by 23 bombs, 4 torpedoes and 17 bombs, 11 torpedoes respectively.  

Good evening Nm,

apparently they would have sunk a lot faster if 15 to 20 heavy calibre shells were used instead.

My Great uncles ship, HMS Tiger, was hit by 21 shells, though only sixteen I think were of a heavy calibre. She fortunately didn't sink by the rule of thumb, though he witnessed HMS Queen Mary go down with her propellers still turning.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BMS said:

Expo EM Early Days

I was involved in early circa 1970 Expo EMs at the (Westminster) Abbey Community Centre. A certain Roy Jackson attended.

Paddington was later

I visited some of those as a teenager before we moved to Scotland. That's where I met the late Ray Hammond.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, robertcwp said:

There are two more Brassmasters Black 5 kits in the final lot I collected today. One short and one long firebox. 

Tony/Robert:  Do you think you could post an updated list of what you have available once you've received & sorted it please?

5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Though is quite possible that those ships may have sunk with less hits than that, albeit possibly more slowly.  There must be a very large degree of "making sure" and also stopping them from firing back at you even though they're doomed to sink.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BMS said:

Expo EM Early Days

I was involved in early circa 1970 Expo EMs at the (Westminster) Abbey Community Centre. A certain Roy Jackson attended.

Paddington was later

I recall Roy telling me that he went to the very first one. I think he might have mentioned some at the World Trade Centre too.

My first was at Paddington very likely in 1980. That time we stayed at the hotel at Kings Cross. A few years later, possibly around 1984, we exhibited again after it moved to Bletchley, which is why I know Bletchley Park was still available to use as accomodation in the 80s as we stayed there for my second trip.

We were all young then!

Edited by t-b-g
To add content
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Tony/Robert:  Do you think you could post an updated list of what you have available once you've received & sorted it please?

Tony has already published a list of what I have passed to him.

As for the remainder, yes, once I have listed it all out. That won't be for a while because I have lots of RTR stock to shift one way or another first. Lots of that, principally the old Mainline, Dapol, Lima, etc stock, has not been listed out yet and is currently parked in the loft out of the way. Even for the newer things, the list is very long. Most will probably be sold in bulk to dealers.

I'm not sure what to do with all the plastic wagon kits. I have a very large box full of Parkside ones of various vintages and several smaller boxes with Red Panda, Chivers, Slaters, Ratio and possibly other makes. 

Then there is the stack of etched carriage sides and loco parts such as frames.

There are also boxes full of RTR loco bodies, most of which seem to be of older, now superseded, models, and probably not of much use.

Edited by robertcwp
Add a bit.
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Though is quite possible that those ships may have sunk with less hits than that, albeit possibly more slowly.  There must be a very large degree of "making sure" and also stopping them from firing back at you even though they're doomed to sink.

Good morning Brian,

I'll be seeing Robert again before long, and then I'll post an updated list.

The initial interest has died down, and there are still plenty left.

I've also got a fair bit of obsolete RTR from three different sources - same tale; bereavement, illness, age, winding down, down-sizing ............... It goes on. Some of this includes a Hornby-Dublo breakdown crane, a couple of SD tinplate carriages, Pullman cars (boxed), plus various wagons (none SD). There are also some Tri-ang bits. In all honesty, this is not what I wish to get into, and will probably get shut of it via a trader. 

It was certainly not a new career-path decision for Mo and me to get involved in this way. It's just that (abstracting ourselves), if able to, any right-thinking persons would help bereaved families, the infirm and the old (though one chap is my age!) if they could, especially if a percentage of sales goes to CRUK.

My, what a diverse thread this is - building model railway items, modifying RTR locos, an emporium of SH kits, battleships and memories of past exhibitions. I think we'll all have to accept (not except) that that's what Wright writes is all about. What's next? Racing cars? Aeroplanes? Anything? 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I recall Roy telling me that he went to the very first one. I think he might have mentioned some at the World Trade Centre too.

My first was at Paddington very likely in 1980. That time we stayed at the hotel at Kings Cross. A few years later, possibly around 1984, we exhibited again after it moved to Bletchley, which is why I know Bletchley Park was still available to use as accomodation in the 80s as we stayed there for my second trip.

We were all young then!

I remember Roy mentioning an exhibition or exhibitions at the World Trade Centre. The World Trade Centre was in London by Tower Bridge. At some point in the nineties they dropped the name and it became International House.

How do I know this? I worked in this building for 16 years in the 90s and 00s but I was totally unaware of there having been exhibitions there until Roy mentioned it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, sandra said:

I remember Roy mentioning an exhibition or exhibitions at the World Trade Centre. The World Trade Centre was in London by Tower Bridge. At some point in the nineties they dropped the name and it became International House.

How do I know this? I worked in this building for 16 years in the 90s and 00s but I was totally unaware of there having been exhibitions there until Roy mentioned it.

I learn something every day!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sandra said:

At some point in the nineties they dropped the name and it became International House.

Probably because they built a new WTC at Canary Wharf in 1991, which five years later was bombed by the IRA.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, sandra said:

The show at the World trade Centre, St Katherines Wharf was my first Expo. I'm struggling to remember the year, though I recall it was a superb venue with easy unloading arrangements.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

I think the coach sides and loco frames would sell well on here Robert. I would certainly be interested.

I need to sort out what they all are first. There are lots and they are spread over quite a few boxes and mixed in with other things. Some coach sides are Comet, others Bill Bedford, some MJT, and some are loose in boxes and I don't know the origin or in some cases even the types.

The loco kits I have found include DJH, Proscale, Brassmasters, Jidenco, GEM, Caley Coaches, Alan Gibson, Nu-Cast, Martin Finney and possibly others. Frames also include some from Dave Bradwell and various others as yet unidentified. 

I would like to dispose of the 30 or so boxes or RTR things before tackling the other kits as they are taking up lots of space in my house. To give one example, there were eight Bachmann Austerity 2-8-0s, five with the same number (90423) and the other three also with the same number (90732 Vulcan). One of the latter has been sold so seven to go.

The tale is similar with other types. The chap was clearly into Bachmann Fairburn tanks (8 of which 2 have been sold) and Standard 4MT moguls (8 of which 5 have the less common 1B tender), amongst other things. 

Almost all the RTR locos have either never been out of their boxes or if they have it was only for brief examination and possibly testing.

What does baffle me somewhat is why there were blue/grey DMUs, and one in Network SouthEast, and a few Inter-City livery Mark 1s, but hardly any blue diesels or blue/grey stock. There was also little in the way of crimson and cream Mark 1 stock, just one of each of most of the Bachmann types. There were about 40 maroon Mark 1s. Before anyone asks, the Mark 1 stock is already spoken for.

This is going to be a long project.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

My, what a diverse thread this is - building model railway items, modifying RTR locos, an emporium of SH kits, battleships and memories of past exhibitions. I think we'll all have to accept (not except) that that's what Wright writes is all about. What's next? Racing cars? Aeroplanes? Anything? 

Regards,

Tony.  

I've just been flying, does that count?

I've been taking instruction down at my local radio control flying field, with a view to getting my "A certificate" in basic rc competence.

Three take-offs today, but only one landing, as the plane conked out on us twice in the air and my instructor brought it back in dead-stick, luckily with no damage. The motor had been struggling with a too-lean fuel mix and possibly an oversize prop.

Al

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I would be interested in some of the wagons depending on what they are, also possibly some of the carriage sides, there are a couple of ones I would like if they are in the pile, a Mousa (Bedford) GWR BT for a start.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Hold my beer, someone.....

Not racing cars, but this is usually the month of the Isle of Man TT, one of the last great un-sanitised motor sport events in the world.  The weather at the moment would have been ideal for some even more bonkers lap times than previously.  Can you imagine driving from London to Preston in about an hour and forty minutes, using only the B-roads?

Rob

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Well, now you come to mention it Tony as well as my fascination for all things aeronautical I do love a nice Lotus 49.   

And to help get the thread back on track, there is at least a quick reference to "The Flying Scotsman" in the video ..... :D

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MJI said:

I would be interested in some of the wagons depending on what they are, also possibly some of the carriage sides, there are a couple of ones I would like if they are in the pile, a Mousa (Bedford) GWR BT for a start.

I don't think there is much, if anything GWR. The chap was focused on LNER and LMS types.

4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Hold my beer, someone.....

Not racing cars, but this is usually the month of the Isle of Man TT, one of the last great un-sanitised motor sport events in the world.  The weather at the moment would have been ideal for some even more bonkers lap times than previously.  Can you imagine driving from London to Preston in about an hour and forty minutes, using only the B-roads?

Rob

Been there, done that. (Racing on the Isle of Man, not driving to Preston)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, GH in EM and O said:

Been there, done that. (Racing on the Isle of Man, not driving to Preston)

Been there, done that, moved there.....happy life.  Even better, happy wife, who now works for fleet services - which includes the railways!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-497_Black_Beetle

If you fancy a model remember these from the 60's ? You would need a very long straight track. You would need some smoke units too (cough cough) !!

image.png.e49810a28c5efcafeca72516ecfe4704.png

Wot no trains !!

image.png.654c1459266d9b0c7aa077f0ea9efd17.png

Brit15

• Like 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1