Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-497_Black_Beetle

If you fancy a model remember these from the 60's ? You would need a very long straight track. You would need some smoke units too (cough cough) !!

image.png.e49810a28c5efcafeca72516ecfe4704.png

Wot no trains !!

image.png.654c1459266d9b0c7aa077f0ea9efd17.png

Brit15

And a lot of luck to get it to ignite after the late 60s / early 70s!   

I think they changed the formulation of the fuze material around then (probably to make it safer) with the result that the material, which surrounded a very fine wire, was brittle and would crack when it was wound into the required spiral and passed through the nozzle.   Often the flame would not jump across such cracks resulting in many a misfire in my experience.   On one occasion I did manage to get the motor running and the Keil Kraft Hawker Hunter to which it was attached flew away from the hand-launch in a graceful climbing turn.  Only to be totally consumed by flames as the doped tissue covering caught fire ...

Alan

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, MJI said:

Wagons depends, as mainly need for early and 80s BR period

I'm not a wagon expert but the kits I have looked at seem to be pre-nationalisation and first 10-15 years of BR designs.

I have now been relieved of the mountain of railway documents that I had collected from the house so, after taking some time to have a rest after a hectic couple of weeks, I shall make a start on the kit mountain. Locos will be first. 

The railway documents, such as working timetables, special traffic notices, etc that were still at the house and those that I had already collected to give the family some room for manoeuvre pretty much filled a 3t GLW van today. They are all going to a society so will be looked after. 

Edited by robertcwp
Typo.
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I To give one example, there were eight Bachmann Austerity 2-8-0s, five with the same number (90423) and the other three also with the same number (90732 Vulcan). One of the latter has been sold so seven to go.

3 hours ago, robertcwp said:

The chap was focused on LNER and LMS types.

Appreciate you have a lot on your plate Robert sorting all this out but just to say that a lot of what you mention is of interest to me. Anything BR 1950s (LMR, ScR and NeR, as might seen in an around Carlisle). I'd certainly be interested  in one of those WDs for starters. Wagon kits, old loco bodies plus chassis kits sounds all sound equally as interesting.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Appreciate you have a lot on your plate Robert sorting all this out but just to say that a lot of what you mention is of interest to me. Anything BR 1950s (LMR, ScR and NeR, as might seen in an around Carlisle). I'd certainly be interested  in one of those WDs for starters. Wagon kits, old loco bodies plus chassis kits sounds all sound equally as interesting.

Thanks, I shall keep that in mind. 

If you fancy a spot of kitbuilding, there are a couple of DJH Duchesses and various other LMS types. There is even what appears to be a kit for 6170 as rebuilt but I cannot remember the make and it's currently buried away under the layout along with most of the kit stuff. The RTR stuff was all purchased a few years ago so not all is of the current standard, but for example there are four identical Jubilees (Hong Kong) which are essentially the same as the current Bachmann model and at least two 9Fs with 1B or 1C tenders (one with a 1G tender has been sold and there wasn't one with a 1F otherwise another one would have been sold). There is a kit for a Highland TPO van too.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

If you fancy a spot of kit-building, there are a couple of DJH Duchesses and various other LMS types. ... The RTR stuff was all purchased a few years ago so not all is of the current standard, but for example there are four identical Jubilees (Hong Kong) which are essentially the same as the current Bachmann model and at least two 9Fs with 1B or 1C tenders (one with a 1G tender has been sold and there wasn't one with a 1F otherwise another one would have been sold). There is a kit for a Highland TPO van too.

Oh crikey, Robert!

Yes, I would like to build (another) DJH Duchess. 'Utility' front style, like Tony's 46245 ...

Jubilees (Hong Kong) - already got two of them ... but would have two more in a shot. Lovely runners. I absolutely agree with you re RTR stuff from 10-15 years; with one or two exceptions, perfectly good enough for present day use.

Oh, me poor old wallet ...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Oh crikey, Robert!

Yes, I would like to build (another) DJH Duchess. 'Utility' front style, like Tony's 46245 ...

Jubilees (Hong Kong) - already got two of them ... but would have two more in a shot. Lovely runners. I absolutely agree with you re RTR stuff from 10-15 years; with one or two exceptions, perfectly good enough for present day use.

Oh, me poor old wallet ...

Watch this space.

• Like 1

Watch this space.

We will indeed!

It poses the question, at least to me, just how many collections of un-built kits and untouched RTR there might be out there. Hundreds? Thousands?

Is there a type who just collects kits, but never builds them? I know there are collectors who won't breach the packaging of their RTR items; to do so would devalue them, apparently (I don't 'get' that at all). Just collecting kits seems very different to me. 

In my own case, though I suppose I 'collect' kits in a way, I then build them. During the lockdowns, my 'strategic reserve' was heavily eaten into, and I've had to replenish it (20 loco kits didn't last long!). 

There's also the type who just 'collects' models built for him/her. Such a person, either through lack of skill or time, cannot build for themselves, so they commission such items. More often than not, these models never run because their home is exclusively a glass cabinet (which seems a shame to me). I have to collect a collection of such (locomotive) models on behalf of a widow. Though 'professionally-built/-painted' for her late husband, I have no idea how these run. In my experience, many don't run very well, though they look pretty. I'll be checking these out and posting pictures soon. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I have been questioned when buying limited edition models.

"Are you a collector or a modeller?"

"Modeller."

"So you want one which runs well."

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

59 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

We will indeed!

It poses the question, at least to me, just how many collections of un-built kits and untouched RTR there might be out there. Hundreds? Thousands?

Is there a type who just collects kits, but never builds them? I know there are collectors who won't breach the packaging of their RTR items; to do so would devalue them, apparently (I don't 'get' that at all). Just collecting kits seems very different to me. 

In my own case, though I suppose I 'collect' kits in a way, I then build them. During the lockdowns, my 'strategic reserve' was heavily eaten into, and I've had to replenish it (20 loco kits didn't last long!). 

There's also the type who just 'collects' models built for him/her. Such a person, either through lack of skill or time, cannot build for themselves, so they commission such items. More often than not, these models never run because their home is exclusively a glass cabinet (which seems a shame to me). I have to collect a collection of such (locomotive) models on behalf of a widow. Though 'professionally-built/-painted' for her late husband, I have no idea how these run. In my experience, many don't run very well, though they look pretty. I'll be checking these out and posting pictures soon. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I think there are lots of collections of unbuilt kits. What I'm dealing with is at the extreme end in that there is no evidence that anything was ever started.

I have made a start on sorting through the kits and bits boxes. The initial stage is to divide locos and loco bits from everything else. It is becoming evident that boxes do not always contain what is stated on the outside.

I commission models from time to time because they can be done more quickly and to a better standard than I can achieve and, until I retire, I won't have time to develop the skills etc necessary, even if faculties permit by that time. However, those models are for use and must run. The latest such example is the restaurant twin that has gone into the King's Cross-Glasgow train on Retford. The biggest example is my layout. If I had done it myself, I would still be building it. It's been operational for over 20 years.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

We will indeed!

Regards,

Tony. 

I think many of us are guilty of buying more kits than we can get through in a reasonable time - I know I am but lockdown has helped reduce the backlog. I have one friend who delights in buying kits/ sides/ and bits to complete them in bulk whenever he can get a ‘deal’. He says he will build them when he retires but he will need to live to a ripe old age!  I have nagged him to start building them and he has finally started to put some sides onto donor vehicles, but that has taken three years so I don’t hold out much hope for the kit mountain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

We will indeed!

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning Tony,

all the evidence suggests* that the majority of people who would call themselves railway modelers, never take the hobby any further than buying things, though a good proportion have a sort of intent to produce something that never happens. I don't think that has changed much over the last few decades, be it kit based or RTR.

* Re the various magazine surveys that have been discussed on this thread in the past and the continuing supply of unbuilt kits coming to market. Many of the latter when sold now, will probably remain unbuilt and will eventually come up for sale again.

Edited by Headstock
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Tony,

all the evidence suggests* that the majority of people who would call themselves railway modelers, never take the hobby any further than buying things, though a good proportion have a sort of intent to produce something that never happens. I don't think that has changed much over the last few decades, be it kit based or RTR.

* Re the various magazine surveys that have been discussed on this thread in the past and the continuing supply of unbuilt kits coming to market. Many of the latter when sold now, will probably remain unbuilt and will eventually come up for sale again.

I have a good collection of unbuilt kits, some of which I know I am the fourth owner of.

Thinking about how my tastes, interests and standards have changed since I bought them, they may well end up with somebody else.

There was a time when I thought a BEC D11 was "good enough" so I bought one. My knowledge of what a D11 should look like has improved and better alternatives are available, so I can't see me ever building it.

The Millholme B5 may yet get built as with a bit of work, they can be made to look half decent.

I do know some people who find collecting models (whether they be RTR, commissioned new or second hand kit built ones) a thoroughly enjoyable way to follow the hobby. They get as excited about searching out a good "find" as I do about finishing a nice model.

I don't have any problem with that. I have never believed that there is only one way to enjoy this hobby.

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

There was a time when I thought a BEC D11 was "good enough" so I bought one. My knowledge of what a D11 should look like has improved and better alternatives are available, so I can't see me ever building it.

I suspect something similar is true of a good proportion of the kits and bits I'm currently dealing with. Many date from long before newer kits or better RTR models became available, although not all. For example, I don't see a great deal of point in converting a Lima DMU to a Class 108 or improving a Lima 20 but many of the kits and bits are of things not available RTR and in some cases no longer even available as kits.

Meanwhile, the Parkside mountain has grown further as I found about 20 more in a box today, some of which had been opened. I think it has now reached its maximum extent. A Bachmann Mark 1 is included to give an idea of scale:

51244105473_06f51fcc4c_c.jpgIMG_0981m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I do know some people who find collecting models (whether they be RTR, commissioned new or second hand kit built ones) a thoroughly enjoyable way to follow the hobby. They get as excited about searching out a good "find" as I do about finishing a nice model.

I don't have any problem with that. I have never believed that there is only one way to enjoy this hobby.

Good afternoon Tony,

I don't have any problem with it, it is by far the most dominant way that people enjoy the Hobby. In fact I benefit from it, being able to source and build kits that theoretically disappeared decades ago. In reality, they are still available and in as good condition as the day they were boxed, all those years ago.

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I suspect something similar is true of a good proportion of the kits and bits I'm currently dealing with. Many date from long before newer kits or better RTR models became available, although not all. For example, I don't see a great deal of point in converting a Lima DMU to a Class 108 or improving a Lima 20 but many of the kits and bits are of things not available RTR and in some cases no longer even available as kits.

Meanwhile, the Parkside mountain has grown further as I found about 20 more in a box today, some of which had been opened. I think it has now reached its maximum extent. A Bachmann Mark 1 is included to give an idea of scale:

My theory is that a bad kit is "better than the one we haven't got". If there is a better alternative, why bother?

Does Sandra need more wagons for Retford? Some (all?) of those might come in handy. 

1 minute ago, t-b-g said:

My theory is that a bad kit is "better than the one we haven't got". If there is a better alternative, why bother?

Does Sandra need more wagons for Retford? Some (all?) of those might come in handy. 

Sandra has already acquired a lot of Bachmann wagons from the stock I had on offer. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Sandra has already acquired a lot of Bachmann wagons from the stock I had on offer. 

That will save somebody many hours making up kits then!

• RMweb Premium

I can see VanWides (BR VEV or VWV) and a single sliding door van.

Definitely some of interest.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MJI said:

I can see VanWides (BR VEV or VWV) and a single sliding door van.

Definitely some of interest.

When I retire, I might have time to go through the box, and the smaller box of Chivers ones, and the Slaters, Colin Ashby, Coopercraft and Ratio ones, and list them out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I have a good collection of unbuilt kits, some of which I know I am the fourth owner of.

Thinking about how my tastes, interests and standards have changed since I bought them, they may well end up with somebody else.

The Millholme B5 may yet get built as with a bit of work, they can be made to look half decent.

I agree entirely Tony,

Though I did build a BEC D11 some three years ago. It was given to me as a gift, and I thought the best way to thank the gift-giver was to build it. 

It's been seen before, but there are many newcomers to this thread.

624127304_BECD1103.jpg.da5650bf99db68bfec77eda2c4ee8fec.jpg

1232084915_BECD1162662.jpg.aa07bcff87a750cc5e5db2341ab1e82a.jpg

571736703_D1162662.jpg.b8d1613ba5b2575f1b7435c2f8810e4d.jpg

It's certainly open to 'criticism' (though not Geoff Haynes' painting). I doubt if the tender is the correct type, and it doesn't match the loco's ride height. 

What can be said in its defence? Very little, except it's 'mine' in a unique way. 

There are far better alternatives.

1185532146_D1162661.jpg.c7da08322d67e5ec2922aa2b18a76983.jpg

Including this one, made RTR by Bachmann. All I've done here is to detail/rename/renumber/weather it to produce exactly the condition the real loco was in when I saw it at Kiveton Park in 1958. I saw PRINCE OF WALES four years earlier, but this time at Chester Northgate. It was very clean.

Since D11s never ran on Little Bytham post-War, both are really surplus to my requirements.

1391680171_Retford2382001D11.jpg.7f598be00fc9da70fa463833e9a50c89.jpg

That being the case, friend, Ray Chessum, EM-d it for service on Retford (it's carrying the wrong code!!!!!), by the simple expedient of widening the gauge of the loco's drivers and the tender's wheels, substituting the bogie wheels as well. Ironically, it (and another Bachmann one re-gauged by Sandra) are Retford's only working D11s at present (the original one seems to have developed running problems, or had the last time I saw it). A pity, because it's a beautiful model, built by Roy, of course.

293905071_Retford12101929D11.jpg.48c5b808714bfce09506ce9a919b6a0f.jpg

Sandra might well have fixed it by now...........................

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

I'm delighted that there are collectors of loco kits; kits which will never get built, until bods like me acquire them! 

Unless a loco kit is particularly well-made, its resale value is usually less than its un-built equivalent.

I've already said that I'm making it my aim never to take on  any more (or even take apart) a loco which somebody else has started. 

• Like 2

In response to Andrew (Headstock’s) post a couple of days back; apologies for the delay – computer time and modelling time are both hard to come by for me at the moment.

Can you produce any evidence of the Hush Hush being referred to as being Battleship grey in the 1930's and what version?

No.  But I think we are getting at cross-purposes here.  What I have been trying to say is that IF “people” were referring at the time to the Hush Hush locomotive being ‘battleship grey’, then the colour they were making the analogy with is a dark-ish grey with which Royal Navy ships based in home waters had been painted since the early 20th Century.  And you and I both know that there was in reality no one single exact shade of that colour over time, for all the reasons that have been listed (many of which are common issues to railways too).  Yet there was no shortage of “colour evidence” for what the Public Mind might have been conditioned with, even without actual colour photography – book illustrations, paintings, postcards, cigarette card images, Naval Reviews allowing large numbers to see the ships in the flesh … all of which would indeed have shown subtly (or not so subtly) different shades … but all of which, if a non-specialist was describing a dark-ish grey painted ‘big something-or-other’, would be recognisable and understood to the layman’s eye by the term ‘battleship grey’.  Which, I’d entirely accept, is little use to a serious modeller many decades later ...

How many ships can you name that required 15 to twenty hits for it to be disabled or be sunk? Forgive me but It sounds like some silly computer game. My Great uncles Ship certainly wasn't sunk by that rule of thumb.

If you don’t believe me that was the inter-war broad expectation I was summarising, would you believe the Royal Navy itself?  Andrew Field’s book ‘Royal Navy Strategy in the Far East 1919-1939’ quotes PRO document ADM 186/78 ‘Number of Necessary, Non-Vital Hits and the Percentage of Damage Inflicted on Other Vessels by a 15-inch shell.’

Condensing a complex account, the RN’s assessment of likely damage was based on three types of hits by heavy shell.  The first, ‘Vital Hits’, were any hits likely to blow up the target; next were ‘Speed Hits’ which slowed a target down; and finally came ‘Non-Vital Hits’, the effects of which were cumulative and gradually reduced a ship’s ability to fight.  You may therefore, for example, assign the 1941 loss of Hood to just the first serious blow landed on her as a ‘Vital Hit’, and the complete disablement of Lion at the Battle of the Dogger Bank in 1915 to the accumulated effects of some 15 heavy but so-called 'Non-Vital' shell hits over time.

On this basis, and making some allowance for subsequent improvements in armour-piercing shell technology, the RN broadly expected its older battleships and battle cruisers to be sunk or effectively disabled by about  (emphasis on the 'about') 15 heavy hits (i.e. excluding those hitting nothing of importance, such as just clipping stowed boats etc.).  More modern battleships, including the recently-completed Nelson class, would take about 18 such hits. The US Navy employed a broadly similar assessment approach with broadly similar conclusions about its own and the Japanese Navy’s ships. 

One of the lessons from the limited evidence (major sea battles fought to a finish being actually quite rare events) is that timing of when and where any ship is hit during an action is crucial to how we regard the ship. Hood blew up in five minutes of action from the first serious hit, which found a critical vulnerability that had been known about by the Navy for many years but was never properly remedied (for a variety of reasons including the fact that though she was old she was still younger and more powerful than most of the rest of the Fleet so couldn’t be spared for modernisation). Lion on the other hand was finally crippled from damage to a feed-water pipe incurred by (IIRC) her tenth hit received (of fifteen) in a quite lengthy chase action, which even then took a further 15-20 minutes to actually stop the ship - and she was got home and was regarded as having stood-up well to her punishment.

It's not a question of a specific vulnerability in an Iowa class ship, one that would upset the gunnery and armour table fanatics. You have to except that any Battleship is vulnerable to being sunk. You also have to except that how a particular shell, or armour, or ships structure performs under a specific circumstance is not allowed for in armour and shell/gun penetration tables. 

I do accept that, entirely.  A warships-related website I also frequent has recently had an extensive discussion on this very point.  But the impression you gave me in your earlier comments was that you had heard it said from a reputable source that New Jersey (USN Iowa class) would have been equally vulnerable to the very same shot which put paid to Hood in the very same circumstances.  I now understand that was not what you meant.

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I think there are lots of collections of unbuilt kits. 

I commission models from time to time because they can be done more quickly and to a better standard than I can achieve and, until I retire, I won't have time to develop the skills etc necessary, even if faculties permit...........

I'm as guilty as the rest for having loads of kits. I think the term "KABLE" applies Kits Aquired Beyond Life Expectancy.

Good luck with hoping retirement will give you time to improve your skills! I packed in work nearly ten years ago, and I seem to be busier than ever, and still don't have time to build the kits. So along with others, some of mine will no doubt go on to new owners when I fall off my perch!

Nigel L

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1