Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Indeed, but the problem is fitting in how to find that somebody and get things to them when I have an almost full time job to do and lots of other things going on. 

Agree, not criticising you for not listing things individually.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just been asked a question by Jesse, from Australia. 

For the sake of all, I'd like to clarify my answer here. He'd like to repaint a damaged Hornby A2/2 into wartime black and asked (more or less) how authentic that might be. My answer, which appears to have ruined his day, was 'not authentic at all'. 

Hornby's A2/2s represent (respectively) how four of the class might have looked in the early-'50s and how one of the class looked in 1959. That is, as refurbished with Peppercorn boilers or a Thompson boiler. Thus, none is suitable for painting into LNER unlined black. 

Had Hornby made models of (what became) 60503 and 60504, then, with minor alterations, any of the class could be represented in LNER black, LNER green or BR green (up to the early-'50s in the case of 60501/2/5/6). Some commentators think that's what the firm should have done, but it takes into account none of the commonalities between the A2/2s and the A2/3s. 

I've seen so many A2/2 models where these differences have not been taken into account (mainly Millholme, which are rubbish at source, anyway - not the whole range of kits, just the A2/2 and A2/3 ones; see my picture of 60520 some pages back). 

So, by way of a visual explanation to clarify the differences..............

1663008440_6050404.jpg.27ff4ccfd3e2da8176cc13c0414f40e1.jpg

I built this example from a Crownline kit, and Ian Rathbone painted it.

60504 is 'representative' of all the class on rebuilding (other than it was painted black first). Please note longer smokebox, short central footplate section, boiler divided into four sections, slightly higher main handrail and full, 'V'-fronted cab. Without series alterations, this can not be done using the Hornby model. Why not?

1263296370_HornbyA226050206onlayout.jpg.c0fade37227f4279a35fa610291711f5.jpg

Because, please note, shorter smokebox, longer central footplate section, boiler divided into five sections, slightly lower main handrail and cut-back, partially 'V'-fronted cab (with the safety valves outside the roof). 

I modified this from a Hornby 60501. It featured recently in BRM. 

I cried for hours after that email Tony! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

12 hours ago, robertcwp said:

The fun continues.

This is the stack of etched carriage and sides underframes and wagon kits that are in clearly marked packaging. The photo does not really convey the height of the Comet stack - probably about 3 or 4 inches. Also a solitary D&S kit:

51245637499_fd41ed00d9_c.jpgIMG_0983m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

These are the boxes of miscellaneous etches, mostly unmarked, and mostly various carriage or wagon components, amongst other things including what looks like a very old kit for a short Gresley open third. Also some Bill Bedford etched bogie frame kits and other bits:

51244872586_141fbab468_c.jpgIMG_0984m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Shot gun the Jidenco kits, no take backs, no do overs! 

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Indeed, but the problem is fitting in how to find that somebody and get things to them when I have an almost full time job to do and lots of other things going on. 

Very true Robert,

At the moment (including the items from you) I've got five 'collections' to find new homes for, for all the usual reasons. There's another lot to collect in the next fortnight.

Fortunately, Elaine (of Elaine's Trains) is collecting the RTR from from me this week (she always gives a fair price), so a box or two (or three!) will be gone. She might be worth a call with regard to how much RTR stuff you have. 

I'm sure folk realise how much time has to be spent finding new homes on behalf of families, but it's all in a good cause. Thankfully, I still have enough space to store stuff.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Very true Robert,

At the moment (including the items from you) I've got five 'collections' to find new homes for, for all the usual reasons. There's another lot to collect in the next fortnight.

Fortunately, Elaine (of Elaine's Trains) is collecting the RTR from from me this week (she always gives a fair price), so a box or two (or three!) will be gone. She might be worth a call with regard to how much RTR stuff you have. 

I'm sure folk realise how much time has to be spent finding new homes on behalf of families, but it's all in a good cause. Thankfully, I still have enough space to store stuff.

Regards,

Tony. 

I have occasionally bought second hand models from Elaine's Trains, a very good dealer to buy from in my opinion.

Brit15

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'd build the RoCoM kit, Robert.

Or, how about Brian? He'd find it a doddle.

I have to say, what an extraordinarily eclectic mix of kits. Three DJH 'River' kits? I've sold one, still got one here and you've found another. 

I've only ever seen one made-up and running on a layout (other than the one I built years ago for a late friend, a picture of which appeared in the early days of BRM). 

1803044396_Eaglesham06.jpg.0f3244aacce7bb67b0aea29012bd2f98.jpg

Running on Eaglesham (it appeared in the RM a little while ago). 

I remember a 'River' (years before DJH) running on Gavin Wilson's stud-contact Highland Railway layout. 

Has anyone else made one? 

Three DJH 'Rivers' and two DJH 2-10-0 'Austerities' (one now sold)? The time period to be depicted must have been very flexible...................

Regards,

Tony.

image.png.99268db797217d22b3d191c30c97e1eb.png

River class, built by the late Ewan Crossweiller. Fitted with a Porterscap and runs beautifully in EM gauge.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, robertcwp said:

The fun continues.

This is the stack of etched carriage and sides underframes and wagon kits that are in clearly marked packaging. The photo does not really convey the height of the Comet stack - probably about 3 or 4 inches. Also a solitary D&S kit:

51245637499_fd41ed00d9_c.jpgIMG_0983m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

These are the boxes of miscellaneous etches, mostly unmarked, and mostly various carriage or wagon components, amongst other things including what looks like a very old kit for a short Gresley open third. Also some Bill Bedford etched bogie frame kits and other bits:

51244872586_141fbab468_c.jpgIMG_0984m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

I may be interested in some of the Jidenco/ Falcon kits, depending on what you have. Perhaps I'm strange, but I used to quite enjoy making models from these 'impossible' kits. :)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, robertcwp said:

So, only another 62 wagons to go!

I did a lot of wagons for Carlisle involving new EM wheel sets, 3 link couplings and weathering.

I used a lot (900+) sets of Alan Gibson wheels (Colin was fairly laid back about the order), lots of smiths couplings (which were supplied in standard packaging), a few exacto chisel blades and a fair amount of ink and powder. Once you get into the swing of it you soon knock out a lot of wagons.

Baz

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andytrains said:

image.png.99268db797217d22b3d191c30c97e1eb.png

River class, built by the late Ewan Crossweiller. Fitted with a Porterscap and runs beautifully in EM gauge.

It looks splendid. Thanks for showing us.

Is it worth checking the drop link from the crosshead to the union link? It should be fixed, in a vertical position. Yours seems to have come loose. I mention this because it could cause an impediment to the beautiful running. 

Regards,

Tony. 

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It looks splendid. Thanks for showing us.

Is it worth checking the drop link from the crosshead to the union link? It should be fixed, in a vertical position. Yours seems to have come loose. I mention this because it could cause an impediment to the beautiful running. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony.

Thanks. I had not noticed that. I will have a look when I get the River out next,

Andy.

• Thanks 1

I checked which Jidenco and Falcon Brass wagon kits I had. Six Jidenco ones have already been claimed. Here is a list of the remainder:

If you are interested, the kits I have found are:

Jidenco:

2x LMS Refrigerated Meat Van

8x LMS 6t Fish Van

4x LNER 12t Fruit Van

1x LMS 12t Single Plank Wagon

Falcon Brass:

2x 224 LMS Ballast Plough Brake Van

2x 226 LMS 25t Ballast Hopper D1800

£10 each excluding any postage. Buy five and have a sixth one for free.

PM me if interested. The weight would make them expensive to post though.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I checked which Jidenco and Falcon Brass wagon kits I had. Six Jidenco ones have already been claimed. Here is a list of the remainder:

If you are interested, the kits I have found are:

Jidenco:

2x LMS Refrigerated Meat Van

8x LMS 6t Fish Van

4x LNER 12t Fruit Van

1x LMS 12t Single Plank Wagon

Falcon Brass:

2x 224 LMS Ballast Plough Brake Van

2x 226 LMS 25t Ballast Hopper D1800

£10 each excluding any postage. Buy five and have a sixth one for free.

PM me if interested. The weight would make them expensive to post though.

Of the Jidenco ones, only six LMS 6t fish vans remain available.

The four Falcon Brass ones are still available.

Edited by robertcwp
Clarify a point.