Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

11 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Speaking of which! Here are two of Dylan’s recent commissions I’ve just finished.

Both weathered using prototype photos kindly supplied by Dylan.

10CBE39C-56CB-4F26-9A4C-0EFE307C040D.jpeg

How can such ugly prototypes look so good! Well done Tom!

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Speaking of which! Here are two of Dylan’s recent commissions I’ve just finished.

Both weathered using prototype photos kindly supplied by Dylan.

10CBE39C-56CB-4F26-9A4C-0EFE307C040D.jpeg

Lovely Tom,

I hope he brings these down when he visits...................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, ArthurK said:

If you spend enough time and effort it is possible to get a half decent result from Jidenco kits.

I have another two unbuilt but I am never going to build them now!

Hi Arthur, 

If you need to find a home for those two LNE ironstone hoppers, I can give them a home... and I can promise you they would get built (that is, if you're sure don't want them).

Clem

Edited by Clem

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Ugly??

:nono:

That doesn't mean to say I don't have any:

60516 Hycilla DJH kit

60520 conversion using Bachmann A2 as a donor

60523 Hornby  

60505 Hornby 

60506 DJH kit

These recent releases have done nothing but cause a relapse for those on rmweb suffering with locoholism.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I don’t know how I feel about posting these up after Tom’s work....

After zero thought or consideration I treated myself to an A2, although not my era, I couldn’t help it.

As soon as I got home it was a test run on DC and then test running on DCC, i had to weather a few wagons so made up extra paint and got to work on her. Not as good as Toms, but I’m happy with it. I also went off a few photos. 

FCE8E290-0B07-41C0-BF60-3A3094544573.jpeg

DE4D7E0D-73EB-4003-8873-C73E1B290723.jpeg

This is 'heroic' weathering Jesse.

Not many would apply so much limescale (even though it's present in the prototype pictures). 

You have a very specific model here; specific in that it represents the loco only in the last six months of its life, with a lipped chimney. 

It's really rather effective.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Very pleased to report that all Bytham's main line signals are now working again; perfectly.

Thanks Graham for your time today. And, thanks for buying some of the models...................

Ah, so I'm surplus to requirements then?

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Graham for your time today. And, thanks for buying some of the models...................

My pleasure; always nice to have a catch up and visit to LB.

Just been enjoying exploring what I've actually acquired - always good fun to dive into a kit box and examine the contents. My goodness, you get plenty of bang for your buck with an Alan Gibson kit! One day I might actually get round to building it (rebuilt Scot); for now, into the kit box to await its turn ...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

This is 'heroic' weathering Jesse.

Not many would apply so much limescale (even though it's present in the prototype pictures). 

You have a very specific model here; specific in that it represents the loco only in the last six months of its life, with a lipped chimney. 

It's really rather effective.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony, 

I must admit it was the first time taking something out of the box and altering it straight away. Normally I watch the pretty engine go round for months before anything happens. 

Now to find some lamps.....

• Agree 1

G'day Folks

I bought a beat up NuCast B1, late last year, received it back in Jan/Feb this year, all the valve gear had either fallen to bits or was mangled, motor not working, and other sundry bits had fallen of, these have all been refitted adjusted or re-soldered, was in very shiny BR lined black, now in wartime livery, more weathering to follow plus nameplates, for 'Springbok'. Not bad for 20 quid.

Terry 'aka manna' 

DSCF5744.jpg

DSCF5745.jpg

• Like 19

For some reason I could not attach a description to the Falcon GWR Cordon on the previous page.  Bought S/H, the entire topsides were junked, as it really was unbuildable.  Added detail completed the underframe, and it now runs on a friend's GW layout.  I subsequently realised that the tank ends should have been concave.  Damn.  At least it is not noticeable.

And whoever buys the Falcon LNER Fruit Van, the very best of luck.

• Friendly/supportive 5

6 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

I bought a beat up NuCast B1, late last year, received it back in Jan/Feb this year, all the valve gear had either fallen to bits or was mangled, motor not working, and other sundry bits had fallen of, these have all been refitted adjusted or re-soldered, was in very shiny BR lined black, now in wartime livery, more weathering to follow plus nameplates, for 'Springbok'. Not bad for 20 quid.

Terry 'aka manna' 

DSCF5744.jpg

DSCF5745.jpg

Not bad for 20 quid, Terry,

Not bad at all. You've made an excellent job of it. 

Just one (usual nit-picky) point. I think the tender should have the rear coal division plate moved back, striding over the filler dome. It was moved forward on these tenders in BR days. 

I've acquired a Bristol Models' B1 kit, unmade (for £20.00!). Never having built a kit from that source, anyone any experience?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A very sweet runner (rather sweeter than the loco I showed you with a High-Level 'box in it - which I didn't build). I know this subject has been aired before, but I made the frames yesterday evening and painted them, leaving them to dry overnight. This morning, no more that ten minutes were spent installing the DJH combo; the result, perfect running. 'You pays your money and you takes your choice.............................'

I understand your preference Tony, but I've found that if you build a High-Level gear box taking care to follow the tips and instructions that come with it and ensuring it is square etc. it invariably results in very sweet running. They don't take long to knock up and the advantage of being able to be hidden more easily than the DJH boxes. The folk I've spoken to that use them - me included - swear by them (not at them!). As I said, I do understand your preference but it's only fair to have the case made for the other side of the story heard.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've acquired a Bristol Models' B1 kit, unmade (for £20.00!). Never having built a kit from that source, anyone any experience?

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

I built the Bristol Models V2 back in 1978. Then I used their K3 chassis under the old Wills K3 later that year. I got both to run okay and used Ks P2 valve gear on both as Bristol only supplied chassis and thin coupling rods if I remember correctly.

But they were models of that era as I used MW005 motors in both and modified Triang Britannia cylinders, although I later fitted NuCast cylinders to the V2. It's hidden away in a box somewhete under the layout!

I think the castings were quite thick and the V2 had the opposite problem to the Bachmann V2. Ie the front boiler/smokebox section is too small in diameter.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My recollection of Bristol Models products were that they were best avoided if possible.

Crude, badly designed and in some cases impossible to build without alteration.

Somebody once offered Roy Jackson an unbuilt kit. I can't remember if it was a B1 or a V2. His response was to offer thanks and to say that he would melt it down to use as weight in a decent model.

Somebody once called them " the worst kits ever" but I think they were no worse than some from McGowan or MTK (cast)  Jidenco (etched).

Edited by t-b-g
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Carrying on with the BI theme, this was Hornby B1 61039 Steinbok, which I weathered then  renamed and numbered to 61025 Pallah as I had photographic evidence of it on Haymarket MPD.

Regards

David

61025_IMG_3917B.jpg

One of the nicest, most natural looking model photos I have seen in a long time. Superb!

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Carrying on with the BI theme, this was Hornby B1 61039 Steinbok, which I weathered then  renamed and numbered to 61025 Pallah as I had photographic evidence of it on Haymarket MPD.

Regards

David

61025_IMG_3917B.jpg

4 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

One of the nicest, most natural looking model photos I have seen in a long time. Superb!

Absolutely superb image - it could be real!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2