Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Some interesting items to photograph today....................

Built from a Judith Edge kit, this NE electric (what's its wheel-arrangement - 4-2-2-2-4?) was a first on Little Bytham. 

2-Co-2?

Lovely looking model

Edited by LNER4479
Mike (just!) bet me too it. Clive's a bit slow out of the traps ...
  • Like 2

The model of No13 is powered thus; a NWSL gearbox on two of the axles, connected by a layshaft with two flywheels, and connected by means of a universal joint to a large Mashima motor in one bonnet. The third axle just goes along for the ride.

I also have a model of NER Bo-Bo No.5 powered by most of a Bachmann class 25 mechanism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Clem said:

I think they started fitting the new arrangement about 1955. My recent K3 conversion (61833) has the later - and incorrect - version. I fitted about 1980 before I knew all the subtle differences you could find within classes. 61379 Mayflower was common as muck around Nottingham even though she was an Immingham engine but for some reason or another I always missed seeing her. I never did. I've heard she was a bit of a duff one.

I had also heard that she was a bit of a Wally and that was why she was so often on the local pick-up goods and by default why I was able to cab her many times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I won't say, Mark,

Because he's now died and it would be insensitive in the extreme. The 10,000 figure came up in conversation over dinner at a Chinese restaurant in St. Albans, several years ago now. All the others at the table just rolled their eyes. One of those moments when you know someone is rather bullsh!tting! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Well understood, Tony. As you say, it's definitely a BS moment when numbers like that are bandied about though. A factor of 10 out, I would suggest. The sort of thing that is a result of electric soup making one confoozled...

Mark

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Obadiah said:

The model of No13 is powered thus; a NWSL gearbox on two of the axles, connected by a layshaft with two flywheels, and connected by means of a universal joint to a large Mashima motor in one bonnet. The third axle just goes along for the ride.

Ah ... so it's really a 2-A-1-A-2. Or is it a 2-Bo-1-2?

I think I prefer the latter - more fun to say:derisive:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Thanks for showing the picture of No.13 - how is this one powered? The wheel arrangement was 2-Co-2, separate motors on each driven axle.

I'm not sure Mike, but it's got a couple of hefty flywheels judging by how it rolls on when the juice is turned off. 

Perhaps the builder will tell us. Oh, he has done!

The only 'problem' with its running was the pantographs just fouling the bridge at the south end, even though they were down. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
I should read all posts before replying

Just now, Tony Wright said:

I'm not sure Mike, but it's got a couple of hefty flywheels judging by how it rolls on when the juice is turned off. 

Perhaps the builder will tell us.

The only 'problem' with its running was the pantographs just fouling the bridge at the south end, even though they were down. 

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Obadiah said:

I also have a model of NER Bo-Bo No.5 powered by most of a Bachmann class 25 mechanism.

A lovely day today, Ian,

Thanks to you, Terry, David and Sandra for so much fun. 

I look forward to seeing what you can do with that damaged ex-GC 4-6-0 and ex-GN J6. 

Thanks also for your contributions to CRUK.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Quill drive in the real thing..  quills also used in Challenger tank drive system. 

Lovely locos.. I prefer Number 13 in lined BR steam loco blue... shame it was never used..no need for A1s, A4s etc.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Perhaps the builder will tell us. Oh, he has done!

Regards,

Tony. 

It is quite high, should be 13ft 3 1/2in with pantograph down. Minimum wire height was 13ft 8in.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Obadiah said:

Mechanism photos and build description, please!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

This is one I painted for Mike many years ago.

5B8E44AC-F944-450B-8F98-7779457B93DC.jpeg.7cdc2b212376914dc19334a35361abf2.jpeg

I can’t remember how it was powered, perhaps Mike can say. The prototype eventually became BR 26600 after being in store for most of its life.

Ian R

I think this is one the first ones I built with a Mashima 10x24 and Branchlines gearbox on each outer driving axle, one of the motors is just visible in the nearest side window. The centre axle was unpowered on most of the ones I have built but I did add a chian drive to it in one model.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

This is one I painted for Mike many years ago.

5B8E44AC-F944-450B-8F98-7779457B93DC.jpeg.7cdc2b212376914dc19334a35361abf2.jpeg

I can’t remember how it was powered, perhaps Mike can say. The prototype eventually became BR 26600 after being in store for most of its life.

Ian R

I wonder what it would have been on TOPS?

The SR Boosters got 70, a GWR Gas turbine got 80 as an electric.

I think it is a very good looking locomotive.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, MJI said:

I wonder what it would have been on TOPS?

The SR Boosters got 70, a GWR Gas turbine got 80 as an electric.

I think it is a very good looking locomotive.

As they were DC they would have been in the 70-series.  I agree, an absolutely beautiful model.

• Like 1

No.13 or 26600 and BR livery. I expect that if BR had ever thought to repaint the beastie, going by the precedent of the Woodhead electrics it would have been black, lined red, and maybe as an express type a silver chassis as per EM2's. Now there's a thought, but perhaps one best not dwelt on for too long! The few interior shots of the loco reveal a real health and safety nightmare of exposed what nots.

• Agree 1

26600 really did deserve to be preserved as a reminder of the NER's electrification policy-in fact on every consideration, technical, historical, and uniqueness, it should have been with us today.

At least we have 26500.

• Agree 2

A 'success' story...............

I mentioned I'm now in possession of many 'wrecked' kit-built locos (and a few carriages as well). Yesterday, four went to new homes, with proceeds to CRUK. 

Some have been so smashed as to being beyond hope (other than salvaging things like motors/gears), but one only needed a bit of TLC to make it presentable again.

This one.........................

1876352591_MillholmeQ1.jpg.4d764951c5097d0e5212440e72460b14.jpg

A Millholme Q1 in OO. Body damage repairs consisted of little more re-fixing steps and vacuum standpipes. 

However, though the mechanism was undamaged (other than, thankfully, the rubbish pick-ups coming away), it was so stiff in its running, despite having the heftiest Portescap I've seen in any 4mm loco. So, this morning, I stripped it down, opened out the holes in the rods, reassembled it, made new pick-ups, cleaned and oiled it. The result, a super-smooth performer! Why do some model-makers accept a 'tight-spot' (or spots), giving the (hopelessly-feeble) excuse of 'It'll run-in'? No, it won't. 

The motor is visible in the cab, of course, but matt black and a crew (one each side) will soon disguise this. 

A couple of friends are coming over over the weekend, so I'll offer it to them first (I hope they don't fight over it!). Both model the LNER so it could be of interest.

If neither is interested, may I invite offers of interest, please? You might wish to, anyway.

It's all in a most-worthy cause.

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 11

19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A 'success' story...............

I mentioned I'm now in possession of many 'wrecked' kit-built locos (and a few carriages as well). Yesterday, four went to new homes, with proceeds to CRUK. 

Some have been so smashed as to being beyond hope (other than salvaging things like motors/gears), but one only needed a bit of TLC to make it presentable again.

This one.........................

1876352591_MillholmeQ1.jpg.4d764951c5097d0e5212440e72460b14.jpg

A Millholme Q1 in OO. Body damage repairs consisted of little more re-fixing steps and vacuum standpipes. 

However, though the mechanism was undamaged (other than, thankfully, the rubbish pick-ups coming away), it was so stiff in its running, despite having the heftiest Portescap I've seen in any 4mm loco. So, this morning, I stripped it down, opened out the holes in the rods, reassembled it, made new pick-ups, cleaned and oiled it. The result, a super-smooth performer! Why do some model-makers accept a 'tight-spot' (or spots), giving the (hopelessly-feeble) excuse of 'It'll run-in'? No, it won't. 

The motor is visible in the cab, of course, but matt black and a crew (one each side) will soon disguise this. 

A couple of friends are coming over over the weekend, so I'll offer it to them first (I hope they don't fight over it!). Both model the LNER so it could be of interest.

If neither is interested, may I invite offers of interest, please? You might wish to, anyway.

It's all in a most-worthy cause.

Good Afternoon Tony,

If your LNER mates don't go for the loco,  please give me a shout. I would be looking to change into BR guise, which possibly seems a shame.

Best Regards,

Lee

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 313201 said:

It's a huge pity the loco has not been restored to working order and a preserved line electrified at the relevant voltage,then we could see this unique loco back on the tracks in service.

Were these the loco's that were powered at 1,500v dc just like the class 76 & 77 locos that ran on the Woodhead route

All the NER electrics (apart from the two Quayside shunters and Bo+Bo No.11) were stored after the Newport - Shildon line was dewired. They remained until about 1951, the Bo+Bos were intended to be used on the Woodhead scheme, No.11 having been rebuilt as a banking loco. They always worked on 1500v DC but the intention had been to use 3rd rail in places such as Waverley station - to this end No.13 had shoe junction boxes (identical to the ones on the Quayside shunters) fitted, the shoe beams would have been on the bogies. No.11 survived into the 1960s as 26510/Departmental 100 at Ilford car sheds, never having worked on the MSW. Some of the technology from the Bo+Bos, including the articulated bogies, was perpetuated in the EM1s.

The two Quayside shunters, one of which is the only survivor, were very different and had nothing in common with the mainline locos. They worked on 600v DC, 3rd rail or overhead and used the Tyneside electrified lines to get to and from the depots. They were essentially an American Westinghouse design, built under licence by Brush.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

Afternoon , Tony ,

Many years ago I built a Bristol Models B.1 . It is very much a kit of it's time , but I don't remember having any real problems with it . It is basically accurate , but benefits from detailing & , like most whitemetal kits , having all the visible edges thinned down . As I remember , the chassis kit had to be ordered separately , & included thick brass frames & Eames valve gear . My model represents no. 61199 as running from York in 1966 , when she was in terrible external condition ( even by York standards !) but she was often turned out for the Red Bank empties & the fitted freight turn to Derby so was probably better then she looked . The model is powered by an old second hand X04 &  runs well but sounds like a Tiger tank !

Ray .

P1010568a.jpg

P1010570a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Of possible interest,

A few latest moving shots of Retford and Little Bytham................

The Retford footage reveals the B17 I fitted EM frames to (now complete), a similar V2 and A2 (the A3 and the A4 are Roy Jackson's work).

The Little Bytham footage shows some of my latest locos in action.

All images, both static and moving, always reveal any less-than-perfect aspects of models. On Retford, the V2 momentarily 'twitches' (I need to investigate) and on LB, the Black Five makes a 'groan' on passing over a point (its bogie-holding shouldered screw just caught on the point's actuating steel rod, protruding through the tie-bar); since fixed. 

Thanks to Howard Smith for editing this footage. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the video, your mini me made chuckle - as a client of mine got himself scanned and 3D printed by Modelu as Loco Crew (which I've painted).

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1