Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

To add to the exemplary post above, my batting average is probably one or two fold-up gearboxes per year at most (usually when a kit comes into my possession with such, or when a DJH one won't fit) but I also find that the motor mounting holes invariably need opening up, another source of error for the lay-builder (such as I consider myself) and then may need elongation if (as is sometimes the case) the mesh is too slack or too stiff, which in turn is a factor that depends on judgement and experience.

A somewhat dejected Barry Ten as he was hoping to be up in a Spitfire this afternoon, but it's been rained off for 5 weeks. We'll try

again in late July.

• Friendly/supportive 8

7 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Before we drift off onto other topics altogether, I'm responding to the invitation above to comment - but perhaps not exactly as Tony (W) intended. I'm with Tony (Dibateg). I can usually 'do' gearbox assembly, but I always approach it with trepidation ...

DSC01423.JPG.9f9decc8cc7efe203c140050402ddc0e.JPG

By sheer fluke - and the real reason for compiling this post, is that this afternoon's job was indeed to put together a motor gearbox, as part of this commission build. And look whose gearbox it is! (supplied by the client so I didn't choose this, although not to say I wouldn't have).

DSC01425.JPG.e5c7296f2ce7a5050faf23d7ff3dce1e.JPG

The parts laid out in more detail. It's now 1315pm (ie a few hours ago)

Now, what follows I wouldn't normally post, it's 'warts n all', contains lots of 'how not to do it's, features lots of inadequate facilities ... feel free to hoot with laughter if you wish but my point is to try and recreate what Mr Average loco builder is faced with and perhaps how some of the locos that come into Tony's hands might not have the smooth running gearboxes they should have. None of what follows is in any way a criticism of the HL product. It was excellent as always, beautifully engineered, but ...

DSC01426.JPG.12f93e5d4682a25a2342fb52f1868ad9.JPG     DSC01427.JPG.0315f916a60a16e6bfff2236b02718b4.JPG

First job is to fit the bearings, facing outwards. They don't fit at first time of asking so a small amount of metal needs to be removed, probably no more that the burr inside the hole from the etching process. Mr Average may well use a round file, as I am. I went VERY careful, no more than a couple of twists in the non-cutting direction at a time until the bearings popped in. Too much metal removal and there'll be slop in the fit and almost impossible to solder up central to the hole, leading to problems later on.

DSC01432.JPG.cdf7936ecec5b26dd3e16a4aa5eaa14c.JPG

Very exaggerated, but to illustrate that it's perfectly possible to get these things NOT square and true to the mating surfaces.

DSC01433.JPG.b65136b8196b859a8ff6f480e24f37c0.JPG

To minimise risk of the above, both bearings are placed into position, with some scrap etch supporting the end (to avoid soldering up a slight angle in the other direction). First job complete. It's now 1345. You don't have to do this stage with a drop in DJH gearbox.

DSC01434.JPG.1b441093d6bf24c7e2d8166fad5dec7d.JPG

Next, fold up the sides to create the U shape housing we're after.

DSC01436.JPG.24fc26116591e8fd7a345e7839e41c09.JPG    DSC01439.JPG.513b42c48904c393c7915cd4d231a479.JPG

By eye, it's unlikely we'll get that spot on 90 degrees. Mr Average needs a square to adjust it to get it spot on before introducing solder. Otherwise, the axle won't run true in the bearings and be an obvious source of resistance. It's now 1400. You don't have to do this stage with a drop in DJH gearbox.

DSC01440.JPG.b7f50292e096c70742c5e35dd8f47b19.JPG     DSC01441.JPG.8d363b3b5df0d2ba4df79d1ce84989f9.JPG

Next, the axle won't fit in the bearing at first time of asking. More gentle removal of metal, gradually, checking as you go. Eventually, the axle fit and a quick check with the wheels fitted - it all rotates freely and appears square (phew!). To be fair, there is an equivalent task at this stage with the DJH box, as Tony has alluded to. It's now 1405.

DSC01442.JPG.c68a06f1ddc708bc67e3929c583fd8e1.JPG   DSC01443.JPG.daa0cf128710745fb6270533e6a0e2e0.JPG   DSC01444.JPG.75d4b379b102ad2ba062d571afe708b8.JPG

Then the worm gear need fitting to the motor shaft. In this case, it's a push fit - not my preference but I was building the gearbox as supplied so no choice. Having scratched my head trying to think of the best way of doing this, I suddenly remembered the old vice so I used that. It's a very tight interference fit so there's no danger of it working loose - once it's on, it's on (so no ability to easily adjust it). To get it pushed on further down the shaft, then perhaps Mr Average might have used a small piece of tube like I did ...

It's now 1425. You don't have to do this stage with a drop in DJH gearbox.

DSC01445.JPG.cc57d54ea3b8d20bf1ed207c4f6dd10d.JPG

As you might have already spotted, this is a two-stage gearbox, with an intermediate gear running on lay shaft. A one-stage gearbox is simpler. Nevertheless, to complete the story ...

The layshaft provided in this pack is ridiculously long. Not sure why; maybe someone substituted something? Anyway, it's end was crudely cut and needed dressing - and it also wouldn't fit through the holes at first time of asking, so more careful opening out.

But then, when I tried a first fit with the motor in place, it wouldn't turn but went all Bob Marley on me (just kept jamming).

Now - I'm very embarrassed to show this next bit, but in the spirit of warts and all, and to perfectly illustrate the purpose of the post.

DSC01446.JPG.64d818b954df6ab13d023d6cf3444926.JPG

Skoolboy error!! In using the collar to press home the worm gear, I've distorted the end of the gear (left hand end), with the result that the gear of the lay gear were just catching on the deformed end of the gear. As the centre of the mesh is towards the middle, I was able to - carefully - dress back the damage with a combination of piercing saw and V-shaped files

DSC01449.JPG.4c95625736459a3ce864b77a3d29f4b8.JPG

Now assembled (you can see the 'repairs' to the worm gear). With the collar on the layshaft, there's still a gap. That's obviously why the adjacent washer is provided. Disassemble and, with about five pairs of hands, hold everything in alignment whilst slipping in the washer and trying to engage layshaft.

It's now 1450. You don't have to do this stage with a drop in DJH gearbox.

Finally(!), with the wheel axle introduced and some leads attached, it was time to test. And the only way to show this is by video. And - as I say on the video - this was genuinely the first time I tried it so you can see the result. First at 1507; second at 1510

Conclusions? As demonstrated, it is - of course - perfectly possible to assemble a HL gearbox to run sweetly. BUT - there are equally several tasks along the way where errors CAN be introduced and I can easily see how Tony comes across locos with such gearboxes that don't run sweetly.

With the DJH box you're simply paying to bypass those stages, de-risking the thing in the process.

I assemble perhaps two or three gearboxes a year and am probably (almost certainly!) doing so without recourse to all the proper / ideal tools. But at two or three a year (max), is it worth investing in the proper kit? The lady(?) on the DJH production line presumably has all the correct tools and fixtures to hand and is doing it day in day out. The above took just under two hours, albeit with some pauses for photography, particularly setting up the video at the end. Perhaps, without interruptions, I could have done that in 1hr 15 - 1 hr 30 mins?

Overall, I 'get' where Tony is coming from. The range of HL boxes is a marvellous product range and worthwhile supporting if that's your preferred route. But it IS possible to c0ck-up the assembly and the alternative of paying more for a 'drop in' virtual guaranteed success (yes Tony, the B1 chassis di run perfectly smoothly ... but I never expected otherwise) has its own merits.

Feel free to throw brickbats and tell me all the places where I went wrong if you really feel the need to. But that wasn't the point of the post and - as you can see - in spite of myself, I still ended up with a sweet running gearbox.

What a wonderfully-honest post, Graham,

Thank you ever so much. 

And, you're an experienced modeller. Experienced enough to un-c0ck-up where you've made a blooper. 

There are so many locos I've seen where a gearbox has been assembled and the un-c0cking-up ability is missing. And, even where a gearbox is ready-assembled (as in the Q1 I mentioned this morning), that's no guarantee of a sweet/quiet/smooth mechanism; not at all. 

Let's say one hour fifteen minutes for you to assemble the HL 'box (which rather makes the ten minutes once quoted rather 'elastic'), I'd say that's probably what many modellers (experienced ones as well) would take. 

Now, I have no idea of how long it takes the (lady?) DJH assembler to make the firm's 'boxes, but probably less. Even then, there's a cost imperative, which rather makes the DJH 'boxes not as expensive as might be thought, especially, unless one is a complete clot, 'perfect' running is usually assured. 

Since confession is good for the soul, I'll now admit to c0cking-up some gearbox assemblies. To be fair, not HL ones (of which I've only made three) but Comet ones, Markits ones, Branchlines ones and, in early days, even DJH ones! Nothing in my last sentence should be construed as being critical of the products mentioned, but I effectively gave up in using those I'd got wrong; if nothing else but because of the racket they made! 

Now (and if the following comes across as the words of a 'smart ar$e' then so be it), I've built well in excess of 100 gearboxes, and still can get it wrong. I'm not alone, either. No names, of course, but with one loco I have (which was made by one of the best loco-builders around), I had to replace the drive. Why? It sounded like a gang of lumberjacks were at work on Little Bytham! Poor Tom Foster was deafened.....................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Before we drift off onto other topics altogether, I'm responding to the invitation above to comment - but perhaps not exactly as Tony (W) intended. I'm with Tony (Dibateg). I can usually 'do' gearbox assembly, but I always approach it with trepidation ...

DSC01423.JPG.9f9decc8cc7efe203c140050402ddc0e.JPG

By sheer fluke - and the real reason for compiling this post, is that this afternoon's job was indeed to put together a motor gearbox, as part of this commission build. And look whose gearbox it is! (supplied by the client so I didn't choose this, although not to say I wouldn't have).

DSC01425.JPG.e5c7296f2ce7a5050faf23d7ff3dce1e.JPG

The parts laid out in more detail. It's now 1315pm (ie a few hours ago)

Now, what follows I wouldn't normally post, it's 'warts n all', contains lots of 'how not to do it's, features lots of inadequate facilities ... feel free to hoot with laughter if you wish but my point is to try and recreate what Mr Average loco builder is faced with and perhaps how some of the locos that come into Tony's hands might not have the smooth running gearboxes they should have. None of what follows is in any way a criticism of the HL product. It was excellent as always, beautifully engineered, but ...

(PS - there were no instructions, they may have got separated en route to me? Either that or they're on the website. But I like to think I had a reasonable idea of what was required - even if I didn't do it in a textbook manner)

DSC01426.JPG.12f93e5d4682a25a2342fb52f1868ad9.JPG     DSC01427.JPG.0315f916a60a16e6bfff2236b02718b4.JPG

First job is to fit the bearings, facing outwards. They don't fit at first time of asking so a small amount of metal needs to be removed, probably no more that the burr inside the hole from the etching process. Mr Average may well use a round file, as I am. I went VERY careful, no more than a couple of twists in the non-cutting direction at a time until the bearings popped in. Too much metal removal and there'll be slop in the fit and almost impossible to solder up central to the hole - the first of several potential sources of poor running.

DSC01432.JPG.cdf7936ecec5b26dd3e16a4aa5eaa14c.JPG

Very exaggerated, but to illustrate that it's perfectly possible to get these things NOT square and true to the mating surfaces.

DSC01433.JPG.b65136b8196b859a8ff6f480e24f37c0.JPG

To minimise risk of the above, both bearings are placed into position, with some scrap etch supporting the end (to avoid soldering up a slight angle in the other direction). First job complete. It's now 1345. You don't have to do this stage with a drop in DJH gearbox.

DSC01434.JPG.1b441093d6bf24c7e2d8166fad5dec7d.JPG

Next, fold up the sides to create the U shape housing we're after.

DSC01436.JPG.24fc26116591e8fd7a345e7839e41c09.JPG    DSC01439.JPG.513b42c48904c393c7915cd4d231a479.JPG

By eye, it's unlikely we'll get that spot on 90 degrees. Mr Average needs a square to adjust it to get it spot on before introducing solder. Otherwise, the axle won't run true in the bearings - another potential source of poor running. It's now 1400. You don't have to do this stage with a drop in DJH gearbox.

DSC01440.JPG.b7f50292e096c70742c5e35dd8f47b19.JPG     DSC01441.JPG.8d363b3b5df0d2ba4df79d1ce84989f9.JPG

Next, the axle won't fit in the bearing at first time of asking. More gentle removal of metal, gradually, checking as you go. Eventually, the axle fits and a quick check with the wheels added - it all rotates freely and appears square (phew!). To be fair, there is an equivalent task at this stage with the DJH box, as Tony has alluded to. It's now 1405.

DSC01442.JPG.c68a06f1ddc708bc67e3929c583fd8e1.JPG   DSC01443.JPG.daa0cf128710745fb6270533e6a0e2e0.JPG   DSC01444.JPG.75d4b379b102ad2ba062d571afe708b8.JPG

Then the worm gear need fitting to the motor shaft. In this case, it's a push fit - not my preference but I was building the gearbox as supplied so no choice. Having scratched my head trying to think of the best way of doing this, I suddenly remembered the old vice so I used that. It's a very tight interference fit so there's no danger of it working loose - once it's on, it's on (so no ability to easily adjust it). To get it pushed on further down the shaft, then perhaps Mr Average might have used a small piece of tube like I did ...

It's now 1425. You don't have to do this stage with a drop in DJH gearbox.

DSC01445.JPG.cc57d54ea3b8d20bf1ed207c4f6dd10d.JPG

As you might have already spotted, this is a two-stage gearbox, with an intermediate gear running on lay shaft. A one-stage gearbox is simpler. Nevertheless, to complete the story ...

The layshaft provided in this pack is ridiculously long. Not sure why; maybe someone substituted something? Anyway, it's end was crudely cut and needed dressing - and it also wouldn't fit through the holes at first time of asking, so more careful opening out.

But then, when I tried a first fit with the motor in place, it wouldn't turn but went all Bob Marley on me (just kept jamming).

Now - I'm very embarrassed to show this next bit, but in the spirit of warts and all, and to perfectly illustrate the purpose of the post.

DSC01446.JPG.64d818b954df6ab13d023d6cf3444926.JPG

Skoolboy error!! In using the collar to press home the worm gear, I've distorted the end of the gear (left hand end), with the result that the teeth of the lay gear were just catching on the deformed end of the gear. As the centre of the mesh is towards the middle, I was able to - carefully - dress back the damage with a combination of piercing saw and V-shaped files

DSC01449.JPG.4c95625736459a3ce864b77a3d29f4b8.JPG

Now assembled (you can see the 'repairs' to the worm gear). With the collar on the layshaft, there's still a gap. That's obviously why the adjacent washer is provided. Disassemble and, with about five pairs of hands, hold everything in alignment whilst slipping in the washer and trying to re-engage layshaft.

It's now 1450. You don't have to do this stage with a drop in DJH gearbox.

Finally(!), with the wheel axle introduced and some leads attached, it was time to test. And the only way to show this is by video. And - as I say on the video - this was genuinely the first time I tried it so you can see the result without any prior trials or adjustment. First at 1507; second at 1510

And still more work to do to fully finish (eg cut the lay shaft to length!)

Conclusions? As demonstrated, it is - of course - perfectly possible to assemble a HL gearbox to run sweetly. BUT - there are equally several tasks along the way where errors CAN be introduced and I can easily see how Tony comes across locos with such gearboxes assembled by Mr Average that don't run sweetly.

With the DJH box you're simply paying to bypass those stages, de-risking the thing in the process.

I assemble perhaps two or three gearboxes a year and am probably (almost certainly!) doing so without recourse to all the proper / ideal tools. But at two or three a year (max), is it worth investing in the proper kit? The lady(?) on the DJH production line presumably has all the correct tools and fixtures to hand and is doing it day in day out. The above took just under two hours, albeit with some pauses for photography, particularly setting up the video at the end. Perhaps, without interruptions, I could have done that in 1hr 15 - 1 hr 30 mins?

Overall, I 'get' where Tony is coming from. The range of HL boxes is a marvellous product range and worthwhile supporting if that's your preferred route. But it IS possible to c0ck-up the assembly and the alternative of paying more for a 'drop in' virtual guaranteed success (yes Tony, the B1 chassis di run perfectly smoothly ... but I never expected otherwise) has its own merits.

Feel free to throw brickbats and tell me all the places where I went wrong if you really feel the need to. But that wasn't the point of the post and - as you can see - in spite of myself, I still ended up with a sweet running gearbox.

Great - use the (twice as expensive, drop-in) DJH product - it's much quicker.

However, if you're NOT a builder of ex-LNER (or other) very large locos, be prepared for a great deal of non-prototypical metal to be seen whirling around in front of the firebox.

Apparently, whilst the absence of loco lamps is unforgiveable, this mass of mobile mechanicals is virtually invisible!

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Graham didn't enlighten us as to how he cuts the very hard layshaft material. It's this length because that's enough for any of Chris's gearboxes and it's a standard length - he cuts it with hard wire cutters - I replace it with 2mm brass, it won't wear out and it's a lot easier to cut. I've tried cutting the hard steel with a piercing saw but each gearbox costs me a blade (worn out, not broken), cutting with a grinding disc heats everything up far too much, especially the plastic gears....

I've built dozens of these boxes in all configurations and would recommend them for almost anything - as soon as Chris gets back to work....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Michael Edge said:

Graham didn't enlighten us as to how he cuts the very hard layshaft material. It's this length because that's enough for any of Chris's gearboxes and it's a standard length - he cuts it with hard wire cutters - I replace it with 2mm brass, it won't wear out and it's a lot easier to cut. I've tried cutting the hard steel with a piercing saw but each gearbox costs me a blade (worn out, not broken), cutting with a grinding disc heats everything up far too much, especially the plastic gears....

I've built dozens of these boxes in all configurations and would recommend them for almost anything - as soon as Chris gets back to work....

I cut the layshafts to length with a grinding wheel before I put them in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

One of Roy Jackson's favourite saying was that all modellers make mistakes. They were not his exact words but if I used them, my time on RMWeb would be cut very short.

He went on the say that he could tell the difference between an average modeller and a good one by how they go about putting things right.

It was one I took on board and remember every time I make a mess of something.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Very simple cut the layshaft to length before assembling the gearbox with a cutting disc, it doent have to the exact width a couple of mm wider either side is ok . Dont try and cut it in one go , a very simple procedure , that way no heating of the shaft and is a safe procedure.

The worm should only be fitted once the box is built , and the motor fitted, that ensures the worm is central to the first gear and correctly spaced above the first gear, there is then no binding between the worm and gear .

All of the above is in the instructions , I am totally amazed at the the comments re the so called  problems of building the HL boxes , they are simply easy to build and cheap to buy and fit , without either the box being on show under the Boiler or even worse filling the cab . It would appear that some people think it is ok to paint the end of the motor  and/or try and hide the motor with the crew, really !! , shades of Triang standards and XO4 times , not for me, that era of modelling standards are long gone and totally unecessary nowdays.

Assembly time at a guess 30 to 45 minutes , or less once you have built a few , again what is the rush ?? , if you are proffesional add the time to the bill . The saving on the price difference alone would more than cover the time anyway and some . 

Enjoy the modelling time, not clock watching and be proud of what you have built.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

My method for cutting the gear shafts is to mark the steel; a black marker pen helps; then cut the shaft, when held in vice, with a cutting disc in a mini-drill.

CJI.

• Agree 1

It may help to cheer up 4479 and one or two others (although it may not cheer them up all that much) if I admit to having distorted the ends of worm gears when trying to press them onto, or move them along, armature shafts - and compared to brass ones I've found that it's even easier to mess up the nylon gears that I've been using recently.  

Something that I find strange is that the "sweet spot" for meshing worm and pinion (metal or nylon) isn't always where I would instinctively expect it to be, i.e. with everything square and with the worm gear "centralised" / symmetrical in all ways with respect to the pinion. Even when there seems to be just enough clearance at all points in the rotation of the gears, it still seems sometimes to be the case that things run both more freely and more quietly with the worm offset from the "best looking" position.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Great - use the (twice as expensive, drop-in) DJH product - it's much quicker.

However, if you're NOT a builder of large, ex-LNER (or other) very large locos, be prepared for a great deal of non-prototypical metal to be seen whirling around in front of the firebox.

Apparently, whilst the absence of loco lamps is unforgiveable, this mass of mobile mechanicals is virtually invisible!

John Isherwood.

Good evening John,

I really do need to brush up on my written communication skills!

In my naivety, I thought I'd explained (some pages back) how I now fit DJH 'boxes into smaller locos, driving off the rear axle, so one doesn't get 'a great deal on non-prototypical metal to be seen whirling around in front of the firebox'. I took on board Tony Gee's (quite correct) criticisms, and saw the 'error of my ways', thinking I'd explained how. 

To think I was once a professional journalist as well.

I also need to improve on my photography so that what I'm writing about is visually axiomatic. 

1677039118_EMJ609.jpg.6461812271ef8a0a536d82096f81ee57.jpg

1150494249_J1710.jpg.8e923ef3df9f82fd590ad73818b57f3d.jpg

1930657091_J17weathered01.jpg.88f875fa4f1ffd6f844b88ebf792c9aa.jpg

Note to self - Must do better! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening John,

I really do need to brush up on my written communication skills!

In my naivety, I thought I'd explained (some pages back) how I now fit DJH 'boxes into smaller locos, driving off the rear axle, so one doesn't get 'a great deal on non-prototypical metal to be seen whirling around in front of the firebox'. I took on board Tony Gee's (quite correct) criticisms, and saw the 'error of my ways', thinking I'd explained how. 

To think I was once a professional journalist as well.

I also need to improve on my photography so that what I'm writing about is visually axiomatic. 

1677039118_EMJ609.jpg.6461812271ef8a0a536d82096f81ee57.jpg

1150494249_J1710.jpg.8e923ef3df9f82fd590ad73818b57f3d.jpg

1930657091_J17weathered01.jpg.88f875fa4f1ffd6f844b88ebf792c9aa.jpg

Note to self - Must do better! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I don't pretend to read all of your - or anyone's - postings, so I must have missed your revised method of applying DJH mechanicals to smaller locos; sorry.

I still maintain, though, that for sheer breadth of application and ease of assembly, High Level have it covered.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A further tip on fitting the worm to the motor shaft without brute force is to run a tapered cutting broach into the worm until it will go half way onto the shaft without being forced.

Then a gentle squeeze in the vice, with or without a tube, does the rest. If you cut in too far and are worried about it being fixed well enough, a drop of Loctite or Superglue rescues the job.

Works every time.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

37 minutes ago, micklner said:

Very simple cut the layshaft to length before assembling the gearbox with a cutting disc, it doent have to the exact width a couple of mm wider either side is ok . Dont try and cut it in one go , a very simple procedure , that way no heating of the shaft and is a safe procedure.

The worm should only be fitted once the box is built , and the motor fitted, that ensures the worm is central to the first gear and correctly spaced above the first gear, there is then no binding between the worm and gear .

All of the above is in the instructions , I am totally amazed at the the comments re the so called  problems of building the HL boxes , they are simply easy to build and cheap to buy and fit , without either the box being on show under the Boiler or even worse filling the cab . It would appear that some people think it is ok to paint the end of the motor  and/or try and hide the motor with the crew, really !! , shades of Triang standards and XO4 times , not for me, that era of modelling standards are long gone and totally unecessary nowdays.

Assembly time at a guess 30 to 45 minutes , or less once you have built a few , again what is the rush ?? , if you are proffesional add the time to the bill . The saving on the price difference alone would more than cover the time anyway and some . 

Enjoy the modelling time, not clock watching and be proud of what you have built.

A thought-provoking post, Mick.

Thank you. 

'It would appear that some people think it is ok to paint the end of the motor  and/or try and hide the motor with the crew, really !! , shades of Triang standards and XO4 times , not for me, that era of modelling standards are long gone and totally unecessary nowdays.'

I assume your comment is with regard to a suggestion I posted earlier? If I've got this wrong, then my most sincere apologies. 

The model in question (the Q1) now runs really sweetly. I agree, the Portescap motor is very obtrusive, and, for a much better effect, it should be replaced by a smaller motor (and the porcine Portescap fitted inside something with a barn for an interior). However, my available time is not infinite. Yes, those modelling standards should be long gone and totally unnecessary nowadays, but, if I were to charge 'professional' rates to 'put this loco right', then its price would be far more than anyone would be prepared to pay. And, since what it makes is going to CRUK (my time is my donation), then I must be realistic.

What I suggested (and I meant it) should militate the obtrusiveness of what you refer to. Easy to do, takes moments and, in my opinion, a useful dodge.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Tony,

I don't pretend to read all of your - or anyone's - postings, so I must have missed your revised method of applying DJH mechanicals to smaller locos; sorry.

I still maintain, though, that for sheer breadth of application and ease of assembly, High Level have it covered.

CJI.

Thanks John,

I can't post both 'thanks' and 'agree' (to your second sentence), hence this response.

Regards,

Tony. 

4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A thought-provoking post, Mick.

Thank you. 

'It would appear that some people think it is ok to paint the end of the motor  and/or try and hide the motor with the crew, really !! , shades of Triang standards and XO4 times , not for me, that era of modelling standards are long gone and totally unecessary nowdays.'

I assume your comment is with regard to a suggestion I posted earlier? If I've got this wrong, then my most sincere apologies. 

The model in question (the Q1) now runs really sweetly. I agree, the Portescap motor is very obtrusive, and, for a much better effect, it should be replaced by a smaller motor (and the porcine Portescap fitted inside something with a barn for an interior). However, my available time is not infinite. Yes, those modelling standards should be long gone and totally unnecessary nowadays, but, if I were to charge 'professional' rates to 'put this loco right', then its price would be far more than anyone would be prepared to pay. And, since what it makes is going to CRUK (my time is my donation), then I must be realistic.

What I suggested (and I meant it) should militate the obtrusiveness of what you refer to. Easy to do, takes moments and, in my opinion, a useful dodge.

Regards,

Tony.  

Tony,

Sorry no not the Q1 , I personally find it frustrating at times reading  your comments to others re very minor detail missing or not  applied 100% correctly, on so many build's shown on this thread.

You then show some of your own builds, with on very rare occasions have much worse detail or the lack off on show. In particular is the use where not appropriatte for the kit being built , by promoting use of DJH boxes for them . This has been commented on now on previous  numerous occasions by many people including myself, this is totally  ignoring the price differences debate.

This photo is the one I was refering in particular , when criticised re the fitting  you claimed a bit of paint and crew would hide the gearbox and it would be ok (sorry I said motor, before I found the photo again). In fact the gearbox is even harder to hide, due to the large side frames which are even larger than the motor.

J17.jpg.6dcc22c839a3d98f6b0125cbe0153755.jpg

With a HL box or a multi box with a smaller motor, the gearbox/motor would be totally hidden in the Firebox, leaving the backhead intact and the cab are free, also the underneath of the boiler  . Ok a smaller motor would reduce its pulling power , most on here do not have the layouts to worry about that problem anyway.

Surely that is current build standards for most modellers on here and in general , which we all should be aiming at today , in better times the HL boxes were easily obtainable at well, hopefully again soon. I need three at the moment to finish builds .

Each to their own methods.

Best wishes

Mick

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My preference was for a Portescap 1219, i’ve built very few chassis’s but so far apart from one, they’ve all worked tolerably well.

0CF8DD6F-FFD8-4ED7-97BF-AD1FE9043F9B.png.44b23550dd0bf3c784c2b3d629c040fd.png

I like the High Level boxes, this is the first one I’ve assembled. I found it easy and logical. I cut the shaft (slowly) with a razor saw using a similar technique to fitting a crankpin.

88B4178E-7B61-4F79-83A5-DAA8ED6AB51C.png.3aa47b64b5ff6a999422aa12009065a1.png
By that I made a paper barrier at the end face of the motor, and then wrapped the motor with Tamiya masking tape to prevent any debris getting into any part of the motor. I can’t recall how I fitted the worm.

EB334396-DD0A-4861-9B0A-30B9553B4201.jpeg.ecbb84fa9aa4583f2f0ddf718775f9bd.jpeg
The finished article.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

27 minutes ago, micklner said:

Tony,

Sorry no not the Q1 , I personally find it frustrating at times reading  your comments to others re very minor detail missing or not  applied 100% correctly, on so many build's shown on this thread.

You then show some of your own builds, with on very rare occasions have much worse detail or the lack off on show. In particular is the use where not appropriatte for the kit being built , by promoting use of DJH boxes for them . This has been commented on now on previous  numerous occasions by many people including myself, this is totally  ignoring the price differences debate.

This photo is the one I was refering in particular , when criticised re the fitting  you claimed a bit of paint and crew would hide the gearbox and it would be ok (sorry I said motor, before I found the photo again). In fact the gearbox is even harder to hide, due to the large side frames which are even larger than the motor.

With a HL box or a multi box with a smaller motor, the gearbox/motor would be totally hidden in the Firebox, leaving the backhead intact and the cab are free, also the underneath of the boiler  . Ok a smaller motor would reduce its pulling power , most on here do not have the layouts to worry about that problem anyway.

Surely that is current build standards for most modellers on here and in general , which we all should be aiming at today , in better times the HL boxes were easily obtainable at well, hopefully again soon. I need three at the moment to finish builds .

Best wishes

Mick

Thanks Mick,

Understood.

Still, simple dodges can work.......................

25469301_MillholmeQ1figure.jpg.14a09a96f89da718ae56b5363dc522e7.jpg

Admittedly, the figure's a bit naff..................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Of possible interest,

A few latest moving shots of Retford and Little Bytham................

The Retford footage reveals the B17 I fitted EM frames to (now complete), a similar V2 and A2 (the A3 and the A4 are Roy Jackson's work).

The Little Bytham footage shows some of my latest locos in action.

All images, both static and moving, always reveal any less-than-perfect aspects of models. On Retford, the V2 momentarily 'twitches' (I need to investigate) and on LB, the Black Five makes a 'groan' on passing over a point (its bogie-holding shouldered screw just caught on the point's actuating steel rod, protruding through the tie-bar); since fixed. 

Thanks to Howard Smith for editing this footage. 

Somewhat disturbing images of the North Box operator at the start of the Retford footage. Who let him in?

The footage does show how various bumps have developed in Retford's track over the years. Some of the boards and track must be getting on for 30 years old now. What is notable though is how well the trains run over it all. 

I see the King's Cross-Glasgow set appears in its early days before it gained its catering cars. It is complete now.  The Hornby Gresley BCK in the 8. 0 am Newcastle-King's Cross has now been replaced by a Bachmann Thompson one.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have followed the gearbox discussion with interest over the last few pages.  

There’s a whiff of the ‘modelling’ versus RTR argument here, in this case regarding just the motor/gearbox component of locomotive building.  I guess, financial and ability arguments aside, it comes down to how important it is to you to be able say ‘I made that’, and the sense of satisfaction thus derived.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

All the NER electrics (apart from the two Quayside shunters and Bo+Bo No.11) were stored after the Newport - Shildon line was dewired. They remained until about 1951, the Bo+Bos were intended to be used on the Woodhead scheme, No.11 having been rebuilt as a banking loco. They always worked on 1500v DC but the intention had been to use 3rd rail in places such as Waverley station - to this end No.13 had shoe junction boxes (identical to the ones on the Quayside shunters) fitted, the shoe beams would have been on the bogies. No.11 survived into the 1960s as 26510/Departmental 100 at Ilford car sheds, never having worked on the MSW. Some of the technology from the Bo+Bos, including the articulated bogies, was perpetuated in the EM1s.

The two Quayside shunters, one of which is the only survivor, were very different and had nothing in common with the mainline locos. They worked on 600v DC, 3rd rail or overhead and used the Tyneside electrified lines to get to and from the depots. They were essentially an American Westinghouse design, built under licence by Brush.

We're the two 600v Bo-Bo locomotives 'quayside shunters'?
I understood that they were used for trip workings between Trafalgar Yard and the Quayside through the 1-in-25 horseshoe bend tunnel linking the two.

First trip each day would take a steam locomotive down to the Quayside for shunting on the quayside itself.
The bow and later pantograph collectors were used in the upper yard to collect from a tramway style overhead. The third rail collection shoes were used, for reasons of clearance, through the tunnel.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Tony,

Best wishes

Mick

I have to agree - when the absence of lamps or 'wiggly pipes' offends, but a da*ned great lump of mechanicals in the cab isn't worth worrying about!

There really are some conflicting standards, or a selective 'Nelson's Eye' at play here.

I know that you plead pressing time, Tony - but perhaps the same reason applies to the lack of lamps and 'wiggly pipes'?

John Isherwood.

• Like 5

G'Day Folks

Talking of c0ck ups, any one up for showing there's. I'm in the process of building a J5, using one of 'Chris P Bacons' J50 chassis, all my bodies are plastic, and I experiment as I go along, on this one I decided to laminate the runningplate, (silly boy) and somehow I made the cab to big ! This is what I ended up with, a new cab and runningplate have been built.

Terry (aka manna) 

DSCF5679.JPG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I have to agree - when the absence of lamps or 'wiggly pipes' offends, but a da*ned great lump of mechanicals in the cab isn't worth worrying about!

There really are some conflicting standards, or a selective 'Nelson's Eye' at play here.

I know that you plead pressing time, Tony - but perhaps the same reason applies to the lack of lamps and 'wiggly pipes'?

John Isherwood.

Good morning John,

I suppose we all have different things which 'offend' (though, without getting too political, no matter what one stands for, says or does these days seems to be offensive to someone in society. What's next, the likes of Winston Churchill, Lord Nelson, Oliver Cromwell, etc, having their nameplates removed? Sorry, too political!).

I agree that 'selective blindness' can become apparent as well. I also agree that cabs should be completely clear of motor/gearbox components, but, in the case cited, they're much less-obtrusive (in my opinion) than a lack of lamps on model locos. As locos bowl by on Little Bytham (unless they're visitors), then the correct lamps must be displayed (though some freight codes do seem to overlap). If one watches the recent moving images I've shown on here, the lamps are highly-visible, though nobody can see what's exactly in a loco's cab (other than some crew members are evident). One might just be able to see some wiggly pipes as well. 

Do I plead 'pressing time'? It's probably more of a case of indolence, where a made-up gearbox can be dropped into a set of frames in, literally, ten minutes. A made-up gearbox which works perfectly as well.

Tangentially, is there a link between this gearbox discussion and RTR/kit-building? Someone might, with justification, take pride in having put together a sweetly-running gearbox, only to be asked by the next observer, 'Ah, but did you actually cut the gears yourself?' 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Talking of c0ck ups, any one up for showing there's. I'm in the process of building a J5, using one of 'Chris P Bacons' J50 chassis, all my bodies are plastic, and I experiment as I go along, on this one I decided to laminate the runningplate, (silly boy) and somehow I made the cab to big ! This is what I ended up with, a new cab and runningplate have been built.

Terry (aka manna) 

DSCF5679.JPG

Good morning Terry,

I thought about pressing the 'funny' button, but opted instead for the more-sensitive one. Unusual for me!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1