Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

5 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Looks a bit like one, doesn't it?

No immediate plans for it, but you never know ...

I wonder if it may be an airfix slimline? A motor once used extensively, along with XO4's by Pendons Guy Williams back in the 60's & 70's along with Pitmans.

Edited by Denbridge
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Tom F said:

Good evening Tony!

I've just finished weathering and renaming these locos for a client. I believe they maybe coming down for a run on Little Bytham this weekend.....

DSC01270-3.jpg.e4cf1d6e570896472076417508906407.jpg

DSC01278-2.jpg

DSC01274-2.jpg

Thanks for showing these Tom,

I'll photograph them on Little Bytham on Saturday.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

The Rails of Sheffield/Dapol Wainwright D Class, for them what's interested:

wainwright.jpg.0fd55408b085d1b931a6f55683372a05.jpg

It's getting a bit of mauling elsewhere on the forum for some decoration issues, but I'm happy enough with mine. 

What's the problem, Al?

It looks rather good. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

What's the problem, Al?

It looks rather good. 

Regards,

Tony. 

The perception was that the lining and decoration wasn't as well applied as on other SE&CR models that have come out lately, such as the Hattons P class, as well as some issues with the decoration of the dome and safety valve. On mine the cabside numbers are on a slant but that's really the only thing that stood out for me as an obvious fault. As for the running, mine's excellent but some seem to have problems with intermittent running. The loco is reasonably light and comes with traction tyres which won't be for everyone, but there is a replacement wheelset supplied.

I'm perfectly happy with mine. It's a tiny, fully-lined 4-4-0 in one of the most complex pre-grouping colour schemes, and looks great from normal viewing distance.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Could anybody do a better job of what appears to be full S.E.C.R. lining in 4mm scale? Not me, that's for certain.

One of my favourite pre-grouping liveries, next to glorious Great Eastern Railway blue.

Edited by dick rowland
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Further to my early post, several pages back now, regarding the making of a N/2mm Bedford TK box van, I've now made the tail lift and got some main blocks of colour on it, but there still plenty to do like glazing, decals, number plates, a little weathering, etc, and of course final assembly as the parts are just plonked together:

DSC01983red.jpg.a353c82c478c64c4acd1200f0a1e4bd8.jpg

I've also finally got around to getting some colour and grubbiness on my N/2mm Osborn's 3D printed road sweeper/gulley cleaner TK truck. It's basically as supplied although a little cleaned up and painted and still needs a little touching up, glazing, number plates, etc., (and perhaps a wash):

DSC01978red.jpg.94cb271cad74a731df27fb93335a4012.jpg

One problem with these 3D print TK models is that it is rather too flat fronted and should be more rounded, but I guess they've done that to make it easy to glaze for their finished models using flat clear plastic inserts. The challenge will be to add a windscreen that looks a little more curved at the ends.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

29 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

And I'm sure all these armchair critics are of course able to rely on their own personal experiences of how the locos looked pre-1923 ... 

so how do we know a 3F ain’t a 4f then…

I’ll get my coat 

• Funny 6

On 21/06/2021 at 00:04, Andy Hayter said:

So if I have understood your post correctly, with around 100 years of experience in running steam locomotives, the 1930s companies were wasting their time analysing what they had bought as fuel for their motive power because very lump is different.

[And incidentally most of the town gas plants as well.] 

Of course you cannot analyse every lump, any more than you can test to destruction every item made in a factory - but destructive testing still takes place on a sample basis in some industries.  Coal from a particular source will tend to be from one seam and the seam will have particular properties.  Sample testing is then appropriate. 

The fact that that is now no longer practical or even possible due to the lost expertise is of course important regarding the recent incident but don't dish the expertise of those who worked with coal 90 years ago.  They too could not tell the difference by looking at it and hence the need for detailed laboratory analysis.  

Interestingly, the same shipment of coal was also used on two other mainline locomotives at the weekend. Both performed superbly, with no fire or steaming difficulties. That suggests having the coal tested scientifically would have given a positive result. One can draw ones own conclusions as to why 60103 ran into difficulties. It may have been simply unlucky, in that there was a small quantity of sub-standard fuel that found itself loaded into Scotsman's tender which didn't make its way onto the other locos. It wouldn't take a large quantity to 'wreck' a fire.

Edited by Denbridge
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, dick rowland said:

Could anybody do a better job of what appears to be full S.E.C.R. lining in 4mm scale? Not me, that's for certain.

One of my favourite pre-grouping liveries, next to glorious Great Eastern Railway blue.

I think if you've painted and lined a few locos, you get a better appreciation of what a good job the RTR firms do, even when they're not quite at the top of the game.

• Agree 7

50 minutes ago, westerner said:

Another O gauge offering

The Pannier ia a minerva model, weathered by me and the first mineral is a Parkside, an exMOWT, was built and weathered by me.

Hi

That rust effect on the wagon is brilliant.  How did you do it?

Thanks

David

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, dick rowland said:

The other manufacturers that have done it? 

Bachmann, Hornby and even Hattons have all done a decent job on their models of SECR locomotives.

That's what seems to irk, others have got it right and I expect the people who have just spent quite a lot of money want them to match.

This is a model that cost under £100 and is tiny. Yet I can't remember any complaints about poor quality livery application.

image.png.5527fe19158f9672a4d02a2a15e9d4a1.png

Here's the Hornby H Class. Dome looks a bit Triang, but the Dapol model is the same. Hornby also did a Terrier in SECR livery.

image.png.9c3af186140ceef817f56a9aa6e75d7d.png

Bachmann C Class

image.png.5c61e34a566acb581f99f55b6fae9422.png

Photos from Hattons website.

Solution. Remove the wonky numbering and replace with etched numbers from Roxey. I'm pretty sure somebody does a crest if that irks.

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/482/4a132-secr-7in-loco-numerals/

If you want SECR lining South Eastern Finecast do/did sets for their models and I think Fox do as well.

Jason

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The other manufacturers that have done it? 

Bachmann, Hornby and even Hattons have all done a decent job on their models of SECR locomotives.

That's what seems to irk, others have got it right and I expect the people who have just spent quite a lot of money want them to match.

This is a model that cost under £100 and is tiny. Yet I can't remember any complaints about poor quality livery application.

image.png.5527fe19158f9672a4d02a2a15e9d4a1.png

Here's the Hornby H Class. Dome looks a bit Triang, but the Dapol model is the same. Hornby also did a Terrier in SECR livery.

image.png.9c3af186140ceef817f56a9aa6e75d7d.png

Bachmann C Class

image.png.5c61e34a566acb581f99f55b6fae9422.png

Photos from Hattons website.

Solution. Remove the wonky numbering and replace with etched numbers from Roxey. I'm pretty sure somebody does a crest if that irks.

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/482/4a132-secr-7in-loco-numerals/

If you want SECR lining South Eastern Finecast do/did sets for their models and I think Fox do as well.

Jason

To be fair to Dapol, these livery 'imperfections' are only really apparent when photo's are enlarged to crazy magnifications. Some people seem to go to extreme measures in order to criticise new products. I wonder how much a P class tank in full SE&CR livery would cost if Hattons were to release one in 2021. A lot more than £100 I would wager.

Edited by Denbridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 19/06/2021 at 17:01, Denbridge said:

Branchlines are still trading. I've recently had an order from him. he doesn't have a website but I've always had excellent service over the phone: 01373 822231 or email: sales@branchlines.com 

Hi Denbridge,

I've successfully ordered the motor mounting screws I needed from Branchlines today.

Many thanks for putting me straight about Branchlines still trading.

Frank  

• Thanks 1

The livery applications by the RTR manufacturers these days are generally superlative, though there are some which attract criticisms. 

I haven't seen the actual Wainwright D, so cannot comment first-hand, but it appears it might not be quite as good as some others' efforts. Still, infinitely better than I could achieve, and I'm glad I model a period when livery-application (particularly lining) was nowhere near as complex. The issue of BR green, for instance, is frequently debated. On ER Pacifics, the consensus seems to be that Bachmann has it better than Hornby, but the lining application isn't as fine.

I'm fortunate to have many (most) of my big green engines painted by Ian Rathbone or Geoff Haynes (those I've painted myself are nowhere near in the same class). Yet, there are differences in the BR green used by these two masters, and even differences in their own painting. 

To close, at the last show in Peterborough (in 2019), I was demonstrating alongside two professional painters, Geoff Haynes and Steve Barnfield. Someone brought along an O Gauge RTR 'Terrier', in full LB&SCR lined 'ochre' to show me. He'd just bought it, for around £200.00. It looked lovely. Both the top pro's agreed that to paint an O Gauge kit-built 'Terrier' in such finery would be more than £200.00. A lot more!

Truly, we've never had it so good.............. 

• Like 6