Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

The livery applications by the RTR manufacturers these days are generally superlative, though there are some which attract criticisms. 

Such as Hornby's BR loco green or their even worse rendition of blue/grey on their coaches.

• Agree 1

David  I used Lifecolor's Dust and Rust set. I can't remember exactly the mixture but 2 of the colours are Light rust 1 and light rust 2 so i imagine they were the largest element in the mix+ a tad of rust base colour. The two light shades do have a more yellowy appearance particularly the number 2 which do givw the more recent rust colours. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Hello Tony & Co.

Before RTR the SECR was never popular, simply on the grounds of cost of painting the model. Were I to do this 4mm Class H (built by Steve Duckworth) today the cost would be £400+ and I would be very picky about the quality of the build. 

F2F78107-DD97-4BF7-94A8-E53CE7398A01.jpeg.7ae1dc8f9288e3a8d7241d0760dc9a7c.jpeg

It seems to me that the 4mm RTR locos are good value considering the number of operations required to apply the livery provided, of course, they are mechanically sound. 

This Class D, built by Graham Varley in 7mm, would cost somewhat North of £800 to paint. Then add to that the cost of a very accurate build. There are 5 colours on each tender axle box, some very fancy lining on the tender front and every wheel spoke is lined.

B92A0501-0D95-46F4-987C-679E374EA63F.jpeg.47d0388098129a877fd37316664273cf.jpeg

In terms of colour we are very much in the hands of the paint manufacturers and their interpretation. I used to use Precision BR Green but now use Landrover ‘Deep Bronze Green’ since moving to cellulose paints. I now feel that the PP colour is too blue.

Ian R

Thanks Ian,

These examples are exquisite..........

Thank you also for indicating how much it would cost to obtain such excellence. It does indeed illustrate how good the value is of the current RTR painting jobs, particularly the very-complex ones (I assume their lining is Tampo printed?). 

There does seem to be a very 'negative' response these days to anything made RTR. Instead of 'rejoicing' in the high visual standards and excellence of running, there's a tendency to ask 'What's wrong with it?', rather than state 'What's right with it'. 

I'm not defending things which are quite clearly wrong or unacceptable (no one is more 'critical' than I am at times), but many of the sternest of 'critics' seem to me to be those who couldn't possibly build/paint an equivalent model. Take the latest Hornby Thompson Pacifics for instance; yes, there are issues with the colours and some of the construction avoided QC, but 'one' can now obtain (for under £200.00) a fully-finished A2/2 and/or A2/3, hitherto unheard of. When I look back on how many of the types you've painted for me which I've built from kits, at current rates a guy/girl could obtain the whole A2/2 class (at least in number) for less than one of our joint efforts.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

There does seem to be a very 'negative' response these days to anything made RTR. Instead of 'rejoicing' in the high visual standards and excellence of running, there's a tendency to ask 'What's wrong with it?', rather than state 'What's right with it'. 

Agreed and there are two groups taking part in this. 

If there are genuine Quality Control faults with a model you send it back.  Apparently for some it is more important to record a Youtube video or Facebook diatribe complaining about it. 

The second group are those who have never bought the model concerned but repeat the criticisms as if they were first-hand experience.  It's like the car enthusiasts you always hear giving strong opinions on some £100k supercar which are almost word-for-word the description given on an recent episode of Top Gear (and you knew the newest car they'd ever driven was a 12 year old Vauxhall Astra).

I steer clear of the new products area of RMWeb for this reason.

Rob

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

If there are genuine Quality Control faults with a model you send it back.  Apparently for some it is more important to record a Youtube video or Facebook diatribe complaining about it. 

The second group are those who have never bought the model concerned but repeat the criticisms as if they were first-hand experience.  It's like the car enthusiasts you always hear giving strong opinions on some £100k supercar which are almost word-for-word the description given on an recent episode of Top Gear (and you knew the newest car they'd ever driven was a 12 year old Vauxhall Astra).

Rob

Then there some who try to fix the problems with their new loco and it still doesn't work correctly.. but the supporters of the new manufacturee don't worry and still bash on with praisin the said locomotive.

If its wrong..send it back. Don't whinge about it...

If a fault is spotted at an early stage and the thread shows it to be wrong..well perhaps the person supplying the model should fix that before production begins?

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Then there some who try to fix the problems with their new loco and it still doesn't work correctly.. but the supporters of the new manufacturee don't worry and still bash on with praisin the said locomotive.

If a fault is spotted at an early stage and the thread shows it to be wrong..well perhaps the person supplying the model should fix that before production begins?

Baz

Again I agree.  Sychophancy isn't healthy in any context.  Try publicly criticising an Apple product and you'll soon get your intelligence, political views and parentage questioned by members of what amounts to The Steve Jobs Cult.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Baz

Good morning Baz,

If something is wrong, then, quite rightly, send it back. If nothing else, a person is within their rights within the Consumer Protection Act. 

A principal problem I find with all more-recent RTR products is the detail bits which have come adrift in transit. Whenever I photograph a new RTR model nowadays, I always take it out of its packaging above my photo studio paper. In the past, the floor has 'consumed' too many bits and pieces! In many respects, the RTR manufacturers can't win; the market demands that every tiny detail be present, usually as separate items, despite their inherent vulnerability. Of late, I've had to glue back on footsteps, a brake hand-wheel, handrails and lamp brackets, among others. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 21/06/2021 at 23:06, Tom F said:

Good evening Tony!

I've just finished weathering and renaming these locos for a client. I believe they maybe coming down for a run on Little Bytham this weekend.....

DSC01270-3.jpg.e4cf1d6e570896472076417508906407.jpg

DSC01278-2.jpg

DSC01274-2.jpg

Superb work Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Rob

Good evening Rob,

Some of the comments in the new products areas must be worthy of consideration.

I've found them very useful at times when I've written reviews.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Here's another dose of out-of-the-box RTR, in this case a model by French firm EPM of the SNCF Turbotrain. It's a 5-unit model with sound and lights. I don't think there is any practical way to own a model of this prototype other than the RTR option. I placed my order at the start of 2020, but unfortunately what with the twin impacts of Covid and Brexit, the model was delayed to the point where I had to pay an additional 127 pounds of VAT, as well some additional fees at the French end. 

Some prototype information on these fine looking machines, which were introduced in the early 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbotrain

Close-coupling is particularly impressive:

turbo1.jpg.0024208754d3afb69b0cd40ca217c5fe.jpg

The detail around the ventilation panels (I presume that's what they are) is particularly impressive.

turbo2.jpg.32bb383ba14601fb537256a1d4a891ca.jpg

And for those that don't mind lights and so on:

turbo3.jpg.bb148ea9ac91770f7796228a9c64c868.jpg

A great model and a reminder of trips to and from Paris Nord-these were like a low flying jet, with incredible acceleration.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/06/2021 at 00:22, Barry Ten said:

Here's another dose of out-of-the-box RTR, in this case a model by French firm EPM of the SNCF Turbotrain. It's a 5-unit model with sound and lights. I don't think there is any practical way to own a model of this prototype other than the RTR option. I placed my order at the start of 2020, but unfortunately what with the twin impacts of Covid and Brexit, the model was delayed to the point where I had to pay an additional 127 pounds of VAT, as well some additional fees at the French end. 

Some prototype information on these fine looking machines, which were introduced in the early 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbotrain

Close-coupling is particularly impressive:

turbo1.jpg.0024208754d3afb69b0cd40ca217c5fe.jpg

The detail around the ventilation panels (I presume that's what they are) is particularly impressive.

turbo2.jpg.32bb383ba14601fb537256a1d4a891ca.jpg

And for those that don't mind lights and so on:

turbo3.jpg.bb148ea9ac91770f7796228a9c64c868.jpg

A very impressive model of a good prototype.  I saw some of these on the Paris Cherbourg route in the late 80's. We were camping at Sottevile in the western suburbs of Paris and they came screaming across the river. I did manage to get one, not very good photo of one. I hope that sir will forgive the awful composition.

976009599_Slides1988-C001.jpg.0ac6152493f643b89f3bd193b0d0bafe.jpg

They certainly made a distinct sound.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A very impressive model of a good prototype.  I saw some of these on the Paris Cherbourg route in the late 80's. We were camping at Sottevile in the western suburbs of Paris and they came screaming across the river. I did manage to get one, not very good photo of one. I hope that sir will forgive the awful composition.

231816587_Slides1988-C001.jpg.6d855c43cea37f078ab3a72a50db7ed4.jpg

They certainly made a distinct sound.

Jamie

What's to forgive, Jamie?

Very interesting, and a bringer-back of personal memories. I photographed some of these units in Paris, in the mid-'70s.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

This morning (I get up early in the summer), I was checking some proofs, and came across an example of a modeller not looking at prototype practice before making something.

In this case, it was a burial scene in a churchyard (could there have been a wedding on the other side of the church? I loath modelling cliches!). 

Christian graves (and those of some other religions?) are usually (always?) orientated on the same axis as the church; that is east-west, not at right-angles to the nave. 

Obviously, and there are numerous cases now, where gravestones have been moved, they can be lined up at all sorts of angles. 

Prototype observation is paramount!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Definitely for C of E graves, although churches are not all exactly east-west depending on the land available. Some do vary a bit but sticking to the general rule.

Council graveyards tend to follow the alignment of neighbouring roads a lot more, but the grave layout would usually point somewhere between northeast and southeast.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

What's to forgive, Jamie?

Very interesting, and a bringer-back of personal memories. I photographed some of these units in Paris, in the mid-'70s.

Regards,

Tony. 

I recall seeing them at Dijon in 1993: 

11589080413_8fc466cf58_c.jpgSNCF_GT-unit_Dijon_13-3-93 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edit - also this one: 11589670046_fb0c1991c3_c.jpgTB1014_Dijon_14-3-93 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
Add a photo.
  • Like 12

Now with weathered motion, IMPALA is ready for full LB service.................................

950363228_6100204.jpg.f9f0e0c18c91857e29d29136fc81559e.jpg

This now makes a suitable baker's dozen of B1s, mainly derived from this source; Replica/Bachmann bodies on top of Comet frames. Ideal 'layout locos', I think.

Photography has revealed a slight lean-back to the cab (not uncommon with this body, and occasionally seen on the prototype). 

I'll have to order some proper bogie wheels from Markits. These are generic 12mm ones. 

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Some new N Gauge stuff from Kato......................

154859406_KatoClass80006.jpg.f9fe5b06333106acfaaa70892260fcc3.jpg

Part of a complete five-car 800 Class. 

Very striking!

And this curiosity........................

374059838_KatoSteeplecabelectric01.jpg.f500248a3040dccb7a0ed656c1c73b51.jpg

I can find no British prototype which matches this. Can anyone? 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

And this curiosity........................

374059838_KatoSteeplecabelectric01.jpg.f500248a3040dccb7a0ed656c1c73b51.jpg

I can find no British prototype which matches this. Can anyone? 

There’s a machine-translated description from a Japanese website, describing it as an LNER design from the 1930’s that has been active at a British power station for 50 years.  Apparently the lights don’t work because it has convex convexity, and “because the locomotive is diverted, the position of lights and doors and shape of the dolly are different from the actual vehicle”.

Another website wishfully describes it as an ES-1 style electric locomotive, from  Gaugemaster/Kato.  Others sites illustrate the product in different liveries, described as a Chibi-Totsu freight locomotive... 

I think that gives you an indication of its provenance.  Probably best described as ‘freelance’ from a British perspective.

I can’t link to the sites from my i-pad but a google search of ‘British railways E3682’ takes you there.

• Like 2