Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some new N Gauge stuff from Kato......................

154859406_KatoClass80006.jpg.f9fe5b06333106acfaaa70892260fcc3.jpg

Part of a complete five-car 800 Class. 

Very striking!

If they do an LNER one perhaps it should run on CF!

Tim

• Funny 2

374059838_KatoSteeplecabelectric01.jpg.f500248a3040dccb7a0ed656c1c73b51.jpg

I can find no British prototype which matches this. Can anyone? 

Nothing British, and although it intially reminded me of the RhB station pilot at Tirano, comparison of pictures shows little real similarity.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

They do Tim!

Or, are going to...................

Regards,

Tony. 

Back to the future! It would be quite fun to photograph one on CF. 

Tim

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Now with weathered motion, IMPALA is ready for full LB service.................................

950363228_6100204.jpg.f9f0e0c18c91857e29d29136fc81559e.jpg

This now makes a suitable baker's dozen of B1s, mainly derived from this source; Replica/Bachmann bodies on top of Comet frames. Ideal 'layout locos', I think.

Photography has revealed a slight lean-back to the cab (not uncommon with this body, and occasionally seen on the prototype). 

I'll have to order some proper bogie wheels from Markits. These are generic 12mm ones. 

Tony, I agree that these are excellent layout locos.  The challenge for me is where and how to add sufficient weight.  My B1 with Comet chassis and Mashima motor runs well but is too light to haul a meaningful length train

14 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Nothing British, and although it intially reminded me of the RhB station pilot at Tirano, comparison of pictures shows little real similarity.

Sort of a combination of these two?

IMG_6199.JPG.782dcddb6f5f4bb4c34d1afc65f9db54.JPGIMG_6200.jpg.0bd3c6e5d3a01753638e764bbfda5eff.jpg

Then again, perhaps not ...

'Freelance' RTR. Whatever next?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Now with weathered motion, IMPALA is ready for full LB service.................................

950363228_6100204.jpg.f9f0e0c18c91857e29d29136fc81559e.jpg

This now makes a suitable baker's dozen of B1s, mainly derived from this source; Replica/Bachmann bodies on top of Comet frames. Ideal 'layout locos', I think.

Photography has revealed a slight lean-back to the cab (not uncommon with this body, and occasionally seen on the prototype). 

I'll have to order some proper bogie wheels from Markits. These are generic 12mm ones. 

I am intrigued as to why you describe the B1 as a "layout loco" Tony. 

Roy always thought (and I agreed with him) that such a body on that mechanism made a very decent B1 indeed.

There are only two very minor things that I can think of that would improve it slightly, which would be to add sandpipes and cover up the axle nuts. Even without those, I can't see what it "only" gets "layout loco" status for as it looks rather good to me.

Edited by t-b-g
adding missing word "for"
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, coronach said:

Tony, I agree that these are excellent layout locos.  The challenge for me is where and how to add sufficient weight.  My B1 with Comet chassis and Mashima motor runs well but is too light to haul a meaningful length train

The ones on Retford have the motor on the leading axle pointing forwards. This leaves lots of room right above the driving wheels and between the frames for weight.

Roy Jackson had some weight blocks cast especially to fit them but I don't know who did them.

Edit to add my memory may be dodgy. If somebody wants to say the motor was on the centre axle pointing forwards I am happy to be corrected.

Edited by t-b-g
To add content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The little kato has a passing resemblance to a Dick Kerr built loco, albeit an industrial not BR one. 

I won't reproduce the photo here, but since it is on the front cover and I have the book a link seems reasonable

https://www.diandsaulbooks.co.uk/industrial-locomotives-of-the-lothians-by-ian-brodie-2056-p.asp

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Ooh err... not quite sure what I think to the latest photos of Hornby's Clan 6MT! Loco looks good, livery looks a bit garish?

While we're talking about Clans, did they ever make it way to Doncaster? 

71840.jpg

The Hornby Clan is an accurate model as far as capturing the appearance and dimensions go. The class were Scottish and North Western based. I can’t recall the details but some trials were carried out on the Midland main line, and Great Eastern Ipswich and Norwich-Liverpool St. I can’t  recall hearing of one being used on the GN at any time for either trials or normal service.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

They do Tim!

Or, are going to...................

Regards,

Tony. 

In Teak or Apple Green?

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

At least those two appear to be in a rich green,  rather than a greyed washed-out shade but still with prominent lining. When weathered sensitively to tone down the lining some green-ness might still be evident.

Oh totally and it is not consistent either. Here is a brand new R3866 Winston Churchill with a R3516 GWR King (which is a planned repaint). Almost all of my other Hornby locos in BR green or GWR green are this bad, including this years and last years releases. The WC would have to be the best colour (besides lining being a bit bright)

1D931C81-A1DC-414B-9340-04504624616B.jpeg

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

The ones on Retford have the motor on the leading axle pointing forwards. This leaves lots of room right above the driving wheels and between the frames for weight.

Roy Jackson had some weight blocks cast especially to fit them but I don't know who did them.

Edit to add my memory may be dodgy. If somebody wants to say the motor was on the centre axle pointing forwards I am happy to be corrected.

You’re right Tony, I’ve just had a look and those locos with a Bachmann B1 body have Comet frames with the motor driving on the front axle facing forward into the smoke box which leaves lots of room in the boiler, directly above the driving wheels, for weight to be added.

A similar arrangement applies on some of the Pacifics except that the motor drives the rear driving wheels with the motor facing backwards into the firebox. Again this leaves lots of room above the driving wheels for weight to be added.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gr.king said:

At least those two appear to be in a rich green,  rather than a greyed washed-out shade but still with prominent lining. When weathered sensitively to tone down the lining some green-ness might still be evident.

Hornby green nearly always looks 'right' in their studio photo's but sadly has yet to make that leap onto a production model

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I am intrigued as to why you describe the B1 as a "layout loco" Tony. 

Roy always thought (and I agreed with him) that such a body on that mechanism made a very decent B1 indeed.

There are only two very minor things that I can think of that would improve it slightly, which would be to add sandpipes and cover up the axle nuts. Even without those, I can't see what it "only" gets "layout loco" status for as it looks rather good to me.

The Replica-Bachmann B1 is indeed a fine model for its time but surely it is now out classed by the Hornby version? 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

The Replica-Bachmann B1 is indeed a fine model for its time but surely it is now out classed by the Hornby version? 

I thought that about the BR4 4-6-0, but one of the Hornby ones I look after has just died with very little mileage covered. The only time I've had a Bachmann one go down before it actually wore out was a motor burn out when one got stuck in a tunnel and nobody noticed until it started smelling.

Still, having it apart to find out why will make a change from replacing split gears, always supposing, of course that the cause isn't a split gear...:jester:

John

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I am no expert on B1s. Much too modern for me. All I know about them was by spending time with Roy and helping him with one or two of the Retford ones.

The one illustrated above looks just fine to me. I would be interested to know which aspects of the Hornby version you feel outclass it.

Edited by t-b-g
typo

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I agree; difficult to put your finger on, but I think the detailing of the Hornby version is better, and more subtle:

P1010288.jpg.843cdbf95c08530e570dde0da1b33f82.jpg

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 31A said:

I agree; difficult to put your finger on, but I think the detailing of the Hornby version is better, and more subtle:

I am not saying that the Hornby model is a bad one. Perhaps the chimney lets it down a bit but it is a nice model. I just don't see that it "outclasses" the Bachmann body on a Comet mechanism.

If that combination was good enough for Roy Jackson, Tony Wright and indeed Malcolm Crawley (who did one in LNER Green despite his strong views on Thompson) it would be good enough for me if I ever wanted one. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 31A said:

Good evening Shed 31A,

The Hornby chimney and dome is just as terrible as the Bachmann model. Were is the gorgeously curvaceous GN chimney? The chimney on 61138 looks more like a ships bollard and the dome looks like a slightly deflated balloon.

On the other hand, the selection of smokebox doors provided on the Hornby models, are far superior to the fantasy item on the Bachmann version. The Bachmann model also has a rather rare tender type, compared to the more typical one supplied with the Hornby model.

A case of one step forwards, half a step back?

1 hour ago, 31A said:

My knowledge of the B1's is almost non-existent, though a friend has several on his layout. When I first saw them, about the 1st thing I noticed was that the Hornby version has much nicer grab & handrails and the front end 'face' looks a lot better.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Some of the examples of Replica/Bachmann B1s I have referred to had a fair degree of improvements done to them, including things like new handrails, smokebox doors and perhaps chimneys. It is all too long ago for me to remember exactly who did which improvements but the modellers involved were not the sort of people who would just accept whatever the RTR folk offered them.

I can certainly recall Roy stripping the bodies down to the basic moulding and then adding new detail bits and Malcolm did similar. The tenders got swapped about as well to give them the correct version.

I tend to take such work for granted as it was just "normal" for such people.