Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm afraid we might be left with quite a bit, so a job-lot to a trader in the end?

Tony,

Just an idea, but you could try an auction house that use www.the-saleroom.com to reach a wider audience.  They often feature model railway lots and can fetch good prices - possibly better than you might get with a trader?  I presume they will take care of the pictures and listings?

There are a few auctioneers in the surrounding area (including Bourne, Stamford and Grantham)

Steve

image.png.c8d419f99e58e6808a1a6487c0f9e29d.png

• Thanks 1

And now for something different.....................

129280417_Fairburn2-6-4TJ50J5201.jpg.d38993f6f555bafe915c219fcde03104.jpg

I've just acquired a Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4T. Why?

A glance at the top picture on page 18 of M&GN in Action, by M. D. Beckett and P. R. Hemnell, Becknell Books, 1989, will reveal 42184 double-heading (bunker-first) a 4F on a Derby-Gorleston excursion via the M&GN on the 26th of July 1958 (a Saturday?). I fancy replicating this scene on LB - the train is made-up of ex-LMS stock, of which I have plenty (though not an example of the first carriage). 

I've already renumbered it (front one to do) and fitted (Comet) front steps. 

The other two (ex-LNER) tanks have featured on here before. Both were donations (I finished/painted/numbered the J50) to be sold for CRUK. Neither have sold, so I've sent money to CRUK myself, at least to donate something. 

Why are they with the Fairburn 2-6-4T? Because I delivered the trio to Geoff Haynes this morning for him to weather them all.

We'll see then.....................

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

And now for something different.....................

129280417_Fairburn2-6-4TJ50J5201.jpg.d38993f6f555bafe915c219fcde03104.jpg

I've just acquired a Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4T. Why?

A glance at the top picture on page 18 of M&GN in Action, by M. D. Beckett and P. R. Hemnell, Becknell Books, 1989, will reveal 42184 double-heading (bunker-first) a 4F on a Derby-Gorleston excursion via the M&GN on the 26th of July 1958 (a Saturday?). I fancy replicating this scene on LB - the train is made-up of ex-LMS stock, of which I have plenty (though not an example of the first carriage). 

I've already renumbered it (front one to do) and fitted (Comet) front steps. 

The other two (ex-LNER) tanks have featured on here before. Both were donations (I finished/painted/numbered the J50) to be sold for CRUK. Neither have sold, so I've sent money to CRUK myself, at least to donate something. 

Why are they with the Fairburn 2-6-4T? Because I delivered the trio to Geoff Haynes this morning for him to weather them all.

We'll see then.....................

I wonder where the Fairburn tank came from :D.

26 July 1958 was a Saturday.

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Robert,

I need a bigger house! Though, I very much hope, not another wife! 

The boxes are being shifted to sit underneath Little Bytham. 

If anyone is interested in any of these items, please PM me. Though much of the original stash has been sold, there's still a lot left from that (mainly Brassmasters and Bradwell items). 

I'm afraid we might be left with quite a bit, so a job-lot to a trader in the end? I know this thread isn't (or shouldn't be) a commercial buy/sell one, but 10% of anything made goes to CRUK (already, well over £100.00!). 

I find it hard to believe what the chap in question (who bought all these) had in mind for the future. Something Scottish/Borders, but which period? Not only that, in P4 as well!

Anyway, I'll do my best. 

Regards,

Tony.

P. S. One Pro-Scale A3 and the Caley Full brake have already been sold!  

I'm sorely tempted by a couple of kits. If you still have them in a few weeks, I may weaken:)

• Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I wonder where the Fairburn tank came from :D.

26 July 1958 was a Saturday.

Yes,

And I owe you £50.00!

Things have been moving...........

All the Pro-Scale A3s have gone, the A1 and one of the A4s! Also the Falcon Scottish wee 'Pug', the Gibson Fowler tender and a DJH Caprotti Standard Five.

Regarding the last mentioned, there's the original documentation is some of the DJH kits. It dates from 1991 (30 years ago!) and the prices range from seventy-odd pounds to nearly £100.00 (including wheels). What's that at today's rates, I wonder?

Regards,

Tony. 

17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Yes,

And I owe you £50.00!

Things have been moving...........

All the Pro-Scale A3s have gone, the A1 and one of the A4s! Also the Falcon Scottish wee 'Pug', the Gibson Fowler tender and a DJH Caprotti Standard Five.

Regarding the last mentioned, there's the original documentation is some of the DJH kits. It dates from 1991 (30 years ago!) and the prices range from seventy-odd pounds to nearly £100.00 (including wheels). What's that at today's rates, I wonder?

Regards,

Tony. 

Per the Bank of England Inflation Calculator, £10 in 1991 inflates to £21.96 in 2020.

BR Fairburn tanks have been popular.  Four out of five sold but I still have three in LMS livery.

There are even more kits and bits but the remainder are mostly assorted etches and carriage sides, the latter still needing some sorting out.

Then there is all the other RTR stuff including the older models such as Mainline and Lima that are currently parked in the loft. Most will probably go in bulk to a dealer or dealers but I need to list it first.

There were two DJH A3s and a DJH Stanier Coronation but they went before the bulk delivery to Tony.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2021 at 12:17, t-b-g said:

That bottom photo illustrates very well something that I have spotted a few times on photos but I have so far had little success convincing anybody that I am not making it up.

Looking at the lining on the tender, it looks as if the centres of radius of the curves on the two orange lines are not in the same place, so the vertical lining is narrower than the horizontal ones. I have been told that it is an optical illusion caused by the angle of the photos but to my eyes, the curved lines are simple not parallel as they go from horizontal to vertical.

I was once told that somebody who worked in a railway paintshop had told the tale that this was done as the proportions of the long horizontal and shorter vertical lines needed their widths adjusting to make them look right. I don't suggest that all locos were like it as it would be down to the individual putting the lining on but I have seen enough examples to convince me that it is not my imagination.

In the photo, the horizontal line at the far end, near the loco, is wider than the vertical line at the end nearest the camera. So I don't think it is my eyes playing tricks.

Has anybody else ever thought about this or have any views on it?

It is simple maths - trigonometry to be exact. Any pair of parallel lines (at right angles to the viewer) when viewed at an angle will appear to be closer together. The formula is D = W sin a, where D is the apparent width, W is the actual width and a is the viewing angle. So a pair of lines 2” apart will appear to be 1” apart when viewed at 30 deg. (Sine 30deg = 0.5). It is not perspective, that only applies to lines moving away from the viewer. Hope this clears all this nonsense up.

BR lining is 2.25” wide, full stop. 1/8” orange, 1/2” green, 1” black, 1/2” green, 1/8” orange. The only time this varied was on boiler bands that were not 2.25” wide (except Western Region).

Ian R

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

31 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

It is simple maths - trigonometry to be exact. Any pair of parallel lines (at right angles to the viewer) when viewed at an angle will appear to be closer together. The formula is D = W sin a, where D is the apparent width, W is the actual width and a is the viewing angle. So a pair of lines 2” apart will appear to be 1” apart when viewed at 30 deg. (Sine 30deg = 0.5). It is not perspective, that only applies to lines moving away from the viewer. Hope this clears all this nonsense up.

BR lining is 2.25” wide, full stop. 1/8” orange, 1/2” green, 1” black, 1/2” green, 1/8” orange. The only time this varied was on boiler bands that were not 2.25” wide (except Western Region).

Ian R

... and on Bulleid air-smoothed pacifics only, there was no green line on the two casing stripes, it was simply orange/black/orange

Glenn

For what it is worth, my late Grandad use to do signwriting on vehicles. I managed to 'help' him a bit before I left school. I remember him laying out chalk lines for the top & bottom edges of the words on a side of a vehicle. He would run a chalk along some string, which was tied at one end, then stretch it taut before 'pinging' it against the side. With the top and bottom lines marked on, he then proceeded to draw in, by hand (and a good eye) the letters of the name, using chalk. But (always a but isn't there) some letters were drawn larger than the lines, to deceive the eye. (Similar thing to the tender lining perhaps?). I remember the C, O, S letters were done that way, he told me that if done to the normal size they appeared too small. There may have been others, and other signwriters may have held slightly different opinions, doing it with different letters, I don't know or have forgotten, it was about 60 years ago!

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Per the Bank of England Inflation Calculator, £10 in 1991 inflates to £21.96 in 2020.

BR Fairburn tanks have been popular.  Four out of five sold but I still have three in LMS livery.

There are even more kits and bits but the remainder are mostly assorted etches and carriage sides, the latter still needing some sorting out.

Then there is all the other RTR stuff including the older models such as Mainline and Lima that are currently parked in the loft. Most will probably go in bulk to a dealer or dealers but I need to list it first.

There were two DJH A3s and a DJH Stanier Coronation but they went before the bulk delivery to Tony.

Thanks Robert,

So over twice as much! Looking at latest DJH prices, they're a bit more than twice as much, and don't include wheels now. 

Folk are getting bargains!

Thanks to all those who've bought items so far. I do discounts for 'bulk' purchases.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something

38 minutes ago, mattingleycustom said:

... and on Bulleid air-smoothed pacifics only, there was no green line on the two casing stripes, it was simply orange/black/orange

Glenn

True, except I’ve seen a preserved one with gaps, (don’t get me going on preserved livery errors). The actual dims are 1/4” orange, 2” black, 1/4” orange, so 2.5” overall.

Ian R

27 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

A bit more progress on my S&D coaches:

I've got two more of these 6-wheelers to build, plus four bogie coaches, but I thought I'd bog down unless I got the first pair to a reasonably finished condition. I[ve also run out of wheels for the time being, so it was as good a time as ever to take a pause on the building. Over the weekend, then, they were primed and painted, and tonight I began lining them. I should probably line around the ventilators but I'll make a decision on that later.

sdjr.jpg.45e53db59097e3a5256229cadd7d05e5.jpg

Al

Too late for these but in future leave the vents off until lining is done. This will give you room to get the lining on the beading around the vent. If the vent fins themselves are lined it is easier to get the vents horizontal after lining. I’ve lined so many coaches where some of the vents are on the squint.

Ian R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

They say that a photo will show all the gaffes on a model.  Well I am learning that a video camera and improved lighting will show up all the gaffes on a layout.  So far I have found two Gentlemen who were literally walking on air, numerous trees where the forks of the armatures poke out, one building that I though was bedded in had a couple of gaps at the bay windows.  I'm sure the list has just started.   However not as bad as my 7 year old grandson born in Canada tell me correctly that a slug of my cars were on the wrong side of the road.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, t-b-g said:

told about it by a highly experienced loco liner while he was doing part of his apprenticeship

No disrespect to Malcolm, whom I knew well in the latter part of his career and the early part of mine, but if I believed everything I was told as a trainee I wouldn't be where I am today. It sounds a bit like what a lawyer friend calls an "Easter Bunny and Father Christmas clause" - because if you believe that you'll believe anything!

I suspect a bit of leg-pulling.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

No disrespect to Malcolm, whom I knew well in the latter part of his career and the early part of mine, but if I believed everything I was told as a trainee I wouldn't be where I am today. It sounds a bit like what a lawyer friend calls an "Easter Bunny and Father Christmas clause" - because if you believe that you'll believe anything!

I suspect a bit of leg-pulling.

Except that he was there, in the paintshop with the bloke doing the lining. If the chap was drawing attention to the practice but then doing something different, wouldn't Malcolm have been suspicious?

It is a shame we can't ask him about it now.

If nobody else believes me, that is fine. It was pretty much what I expected. I have no problem being a lone voice with a whacky idea that nobody else agrees with!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Sales are going very well.

Thanks to all for ordering.

Please bear with me because there are many items to pack and post. And to check, as well. 

Speaking of checking, I've found a couple of kits with instructions missing, or some pages missing. Even instructions for other kits in different boxes! 

I have to say this is a bl00dy bind! I wonder why folk do this - look in kits having bought them, then muddle things up? Granted, since I never read instructions, then, were I buying, I'd not mind, but I'll do my best to sort these out. Oh, for infinite time. 

Despite losing some instructions, what's very interesting is the original purchasing documentation which has survived. Dates and prices, some from the early-'80s, including an SAE back to DJH at its first address in Consett, with a 1st Class stamp; for 17p! Today's is 85p! 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Sales are going very well.

Thanks to all for ordering.

Please bear with me because there are many items to pack and post. And to check, as well. 

Speaking of checking, I've found a couple of kits with instructions missing, or some pages missing. Even instructions for other kits in different boxes! 

I have to say this is a bl00dy bind! I wonder why folk do this - look in kits having bought them, then muddle things up? Granted, since I never read instructions, then, were I buying, I'd not mind, but I'll do my best to sort these out. Oh, for infinite time. 

Despite losing some instructions, what's very interesting is the original purchasing documentation which has survived. Dates and prices, some from the early-'80s, including an SAE back to DJH at its first address in Consett, with a 1st Class stamp; for 17p! Today's is 85p! 

I found some LMS Semaphore kits in the Full Break I bought off you, let me know if you want it back to sell on or would like some more dough for it, as it's not much use on my layout, apart from for practicing before I tackle LNER semaphores!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

This morning's progress on the Model Loco 9F.............

1097438315_ModelLoco9F02.jpg.e3e278e6808bd97d8cc4233c003e27ce.jpg

Rob Kinsey had already started the tender, so I've detailed the rear and soldered in the coal space. The cab roof is temporarily in place to protect the delicate side sheets.

I've also arranged the drawbar, so she can now haul a train. A test on LB awaits later this morning.

Rummaging through the original documentation, I see Rob bought it in 1988! Why does that now seem quite some time ago?

It's number 476 of an original run of 600. These kits were produced for Model Loco by DJH, and were of the highest-quality at the time (at a price?). I wonder how many have been actually built?

Here's another one...............

763449688_DJH9F9204201.jpg.cdb810f52222a591db02b8f7aa935c20.jpg

300295915_embankmentview92042.jpg.4b089973700a7a04a96604eff36a9f8d.jpg

I have no idea what the number of this Model Loco 9F is (it's original box is somewhere), but I bought it from the model shop in Chester (there used to be five there in my day!) a few years ago now. Its box was hidden away on a shelf, for what must have been decades, gathering dust. It was the only loco kit in the shop, and I built it shortly after returning home. 

It's towing a Bachmann 1F tender, more-appropriate for the ER. Geoff Haynes painted it. 

I have two other DJH 9Fs, neither built by me....................

277299034_DJH9F9203703.jpg.386bca0ba3908decfee675af49b98a25.jpg

I acquired this of Robert Carroll in a direct swop for a Bachmann 9F (this one didn't like his pointwork too much, but it's fine on LB). The builder's unknown, but it was originally painted by Larry Goddard, in gloss black. Geoff Haynes has made it look much more-natural. 

It, too, has a 1F tender (by DJH), which means the rear cut-out is too deep. 

My other DJH 9F is this one................

632645821_RoyJackson9F.jpg.4c820b1f6a98871577f0d05d2999f3c2.jpg

Built by the late (and great) Roy Jackson (painted/weathered by Geoff Kent, I think), it was given to me in exchange for some EM chassis I'd made for Retford. Roy had made it for a bloke, in OO, but the guy had disappeared in the intervening time. 

I've glazed the cab (I wonder why he was reticent in doing this?), but I've yet to add the lubricator linkage and (why it's missing, I don't know) the crossrail on the smokebox door. Lamp brackets will also have to be fitted, though the deflector support brackets are there. 

It's a privilege to own a Mr Jackson-built loco. I'm even more-privileged to own a Standard Five, built by him as well.

Both this one and the Model Loco 9F I'm completing have the MR-style tender, so they'll probably find more use on Shap (if Graham Nicholas would like to borrow them). 

Roy always hoped that when he passed a loco over to Geoff for painting, it would come back glazed, to save him a job. He was much happier soldering than gluing plastic and he saw the plastic bits as Geoff's department. I don't think Geoff saw it the same way so there was a bit of a stand off with neither doing the job.

At one time I went through a number of the Retford locos adding glazing and the wooden window frames but it was not a job I enjoyed so I lost interest and never got through more than a selection.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

You mention the BR1B/C tenders being a MR design. I have just been doing some research in this having just bought a MR Bachmann 9F, 92116, for a song because it had a couple of glue marks on it. It has such a tender which I assumed would have found its way onto the ER over time but I can’t find a record of any MR examples being transferred to the ER. Would MR 9Fs have run on the ECML at all? If not, it looks like another item for eBay!

Thanks

Andy

Gentlemen,

I have a brace of GNR Diag 352 horseboxes to build for Southwark Bridge (one courtesy of Andy S).  Referring to page 78 of Historic Carriage Drawings (Vol 3 - NPCS), there is a drawing without cross bracing in the upper panels and two photographs (both post WW2) with bracing in three of the panels.  

Prototype build began in 1897 and SB is set in 1912.  So what can I do?  Both without cross bracing?  One with, one without?  Both with?

Thanks in advance,  Bill

Gentlemen,

apropos of Southwark Bridge, we are recreating the "7:51am".  An engine and PBV were sent to Addison Road every morning to collect the transfers to the LSWR.  We are bringing the train to SB, arriving at 7:51am where the equine passengers can be exercised in the horse dock before the boxes were attached to departing trains.  The LSWR would receive a considerable volume of equine traffic, (Military = Aldershot, Wimbledon, Salisbury Plain, etc; Races = Ascot, Sandown Park, Kempton Park, Hurst Park, maybe Epsom, and many minor courses).  

Racehorse stables tended to concentrate in certain locations, one of which was Newmarket, but we don't have any GER horseboxes on SB.  So if anyone were to come across a Danny Pinnock GER horsebox, we would be very, very grateful.

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

You mention the BR1B/C tenders being a MR design. I have just been doing some research in this having just bought a MR Bachmann 9F, 92116, for a song because it had a couple of glue marks on it. It has such a tender which I assumed would have found its way onto the ER over time but I can’t find a record of any MR examples being transferred to the ER. Would MR 9Fs have run on the ECML at all? If not, it looks like another item for eBay!

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

I went through a similar process. I don't think it happened very often . This is a tremendous resource for allocations and shed visits, it may have been posted here before:

https://www.brdatabase.info/

With respect to model tender there's a few options. Comet/Wizard do a resin tender, as does/did(?) Dave Alexander do a white metal replacement alternatively you could approach Bachmann - I've had tenders from them  in the past. I may have a Dave Alexander 1F tender here some where.

I hope that helps

Edited by davidw