Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Yes,

And I owe you £50.00!

Things have been moving...........

All the Pro-Scale A3s have gone, the A1 and one of the A4s! Also the Falcon Scottish wee 'Pug', the Gibson Fowler tender and a DJH Caprotti Standard Five.

Regarding the last mentioned, there's the original documentation is some of the DJH kits. It dates from 1991 (30 years ago!) and the prices range from seventy-odd pounds to nearly £100.00 (including wheels). What's that at today's rates, I wonder?

Regards,

Tony. 

I hope you saw how much a wee Scottish Pug & tender (Anchoridge)   went for on a popular auction site at the weekend !!      Is the ABS V4 still available ?    

image2 (1).jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, davidw said:

Hi Andy,

I went through a similar process. I don't think it happened very often . This is a tremendous resource for allocations and shed visits, it may have been posted here before:

https://www.brdatabase.info/

With respect to model tender there's a few options. Comet/Wizard do a resin tender, as does/did(?) Dave Alexander do a white metal replacement alternatively you could approach Bachmann - I've had tenders from them  in the past. I may have a Dave Alexander 1F tender here some where.

I hope that helps

Thanks David,

I did a search on BR Database and couldn’t find a single example of a transfer from LMR to ER. So the only bet would be a through traffic flow, a loan or running in turns if any were overhauled at Donny.

It may not be in the spirit of this thread, but I can’t see he point of building a tender when Bachmann make one that’s better than I could achieve. I spend my building time on things not available RTR. I’ll have to approach Bachmann (but I expect that would cost more than I paid for the engine!) or hope someone on eBay splits a loco up for sale in component parts as happens from time to time.

Andy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Except that he was there, in the paintshop with the bloke doing the lining. If the chap was drawing attention to the practice but then doing something different, wouldn't Malcolm have been suspicious?

It is a shame we can't ask him about it now.

If nobody else believes me, that is fine. It was pretty much what I expected. I have no problem being a lone voice with a whacky idea that nobody else agrees with!

The problem is that nearly all photos of steam locos are taken from a three quarter viewpoint so they all appear to show the vertical lines as being narrower due to perspective. However there are a few taken from the side and I’m afraid they show no evidence that the vertical lines are narrower.

For example on page 87 of “The Book of the A4 Pacifics” there is a clear photo of the side of the cab of 60033 “Seagull” and the lines are the same width all the way round. I’ve looked at a number of photos taken from the side of East Coast Pacifics both in LNER days and BR days and can find no evidence that the vertical lines were narrower.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

44 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks David,

I did a search on BR Database and couldn’t find a single example of a transfer from LMR to ER. So the only bet would be a through traffic flow, a loan or running in turns if any were overhauled at Donny.

It may not be in the spirit of this thread, but I can’t see he point of building a tender when Bachmann make one that’s better than I could achieve. I spend my building time on things not available RTR. I’ll have to approach Bachmann (but I expect that would cost more than I paid for the engine!) or hope someone on eBay splits a loco up for sale in component parts as happens from time to time.

Andy

I don't think an LM to ER transfer would be that common, a lot of the ER 9Fs went for scrap at very few years old due to dieselisation, some made it the other way, but at least one Annesley 9F obtained a 1C/D tender late in it's life, also one received a low side tender from memory

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Sales are going very well.

Thanks to all for ordering.

Please bear with me because there are many items to pack and post. And to check, as well. 

Speaking of checking, I've found a couple of kits with instructions missing, or some pages missing. Even instructions for other kits in different boxes! 

I have to say this is a bl00dy bind! I wonder why folk do this - look in kits having bought them, then muddle things up? Granted, since I never read instructions, then, were I buying, I'd not mind, but I'll do my best to sort these out. Oh, for infinite time. 

Despite losing some instructions, what's very interesting is the original purchasing documentation which has survived. Dates and prices, some from the early-'80s, including an SAE back to DJH at its first address in Consett, with a 1st Class stamp; for 17p! Today's is 85p! 

I bought a collection of etched brass kits from the family of a deceased modeller. Not only were instructions either missing, or incomplete, but parts had been cut from the etch sheets (often badly) and were jumbled dumped into margarine tubs with no identification. Making matters worse, parts from different kits were mixed together. No fun at all sorting various Mitchell and finney kits into complete sets.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Staffordshire said:

I hope you saw how much a wee Scottish Pug & tender (Anchoridge)   went for on a popular auction site at the weekend !!      Is the ABS V4 still available ?    

image2 (1).jpeg

I'm afraid I don't look at auction sites, but someone has told me.

The ABS V4 (ex-East Coast Joint Models) is still available. Please PM me if you're interested.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sandra said:

The problem is that nearly all photos of steam locos are taken from a three quarter viewpoint so they all appear to show the vertical lines as being narrower due to perspective. However there are a few taken from the side and I’m afraid they show no evidence that the vertical lines are narrower.

For example on page 87 of “The Book of the A4 Pacifics” there is a clear photo of the side of the cab of 60033 “Seagull” and the lines are the same width all the way round. I’ve looked at a number of photos taken from the side of East Coast Pacifics both in LNER days and BR days and can find no evidence that the vertical lines were narrower.

As I said Sandra, I put the idea out there for discussion and it is clear to me now that I am the only one who thinks that it is anything other than an optical illusion caused by the angle of the photos.

I rarely look at BR period lining. Most of the examples that I thought illustrated it are either in GCR or LNER white/black/white. I am quite willing to accept that I may be wrong about it all. Despite my best efforts, I am still capable of being human and misjudging things.

I am happy to leave it at that.

Edited by t-b-g
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

You mention the BR1B/C tenders being a MR design. I have just been doing some research in this having just bought a MR Bachmann 9F, 92116, for a song because it had a couple of glue marks on it. It has such a tender which I assumed would have found its way onto the ER over time but I can’t find a record of any MR examples being transferred to the ER. Would MR 9Fs have run on the ECML at all? If not, it looks like another item for eBay!

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

I can't find any pictures of 9Fs with MR-style tenders working on the ECML proper, apart from a couple north of York (including one ex-Crosti). 

I've come across one heading for Stamford, which will later run parallel with the ECML into Peterborough, though, if anything, it'll probably then head for March. 

I'd never say 9Fs so equipped would never run on ECML metals, but it would be quite rare. I don't know if 1F tenders are available as spares from Bachmann. 

Can one still get Dave Alexander white metal 1F tender bodies?

1113472364_9FleavingtunnelBW.jpg.0f4bdcdb475ef9edf0e97880f51f9005.jpg

This 9F has one. 

It's an old Kitmaster body, much detailed, running on Crownline frames, with the original Kitmaster tender frames underneath the white metal tender body. 

It was built/painted/weathered by our elder son, Tom, when he was 15 (25 years ago!). I helped him a little (carving off part of the body handrails because I thought he'd be too young to bleed to death!), but it's really his work in the main. 

It's seen running on Stoke Summit, and he lets me borrow it to run on LB. A fine 'layout loco' I think. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ScRSG said:

Tony,

Sorry, did you get my PM re the DJH kit? Price is OK, do I need to add the extra postage?

Chas

Yes Chas,

Did I not reply?

Postage is £10.00 (guaranteed, next day delivery; though the last one took a week! How does the PO get away with charging extra for such a non-service?). 

It'll be posted later this week.

Regards,

Tony. 

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm afraid I don't look at auction sites, but someone has told me.

The ABS V4 (ex-East Coast Joint Models) is still available. Please PM me if you're interested.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, could have your email address, as the one I am trying to use is obviously incorrect or it's my User error !      It was my mistake - apologies 

Cheers, Ian

Edited by Staffordshire
Update !

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Keep them Dylan,

And practise your soldering skills.

I'm not surprised there were some extras in your kit. At least you had them.

I have to say (and this is not just my bleating), but I'm finding this lot very frustrating. Someone expressed an interest in the Gibson 4F. However, no instructions and no wheels were in its box. Though I admit to not reading instructions, checking parts is far easier with them. Several kits are missing instructions (any I send out without instructions will be at a reduced price to that asked, by way of 'compensation'). 

This is extremely annoying, and it's stretching my 'altruism' quite a lot. Some kits which should have wheels don't, and some which shouldn't do. Some have OO wheelsets, others P4 (no EM). Some have extra parts for totally different locos (how many 4Fs ran with Stanier Black Five tenders?) and some are definitely missing parts (I'll not be selling these). Some kit parts are still in their original wrapping/polythene bags, while some others are totally loose in the box! 

I'm being as diligent as I can before I send anything out (later this week/next week), but what a mess in some cases. Though I've never classed myself as 'organised', I'm a paragon of virtue compared with this lot. Why muddle kits up? Why take bits out of packets when you've no intention of ever building a kit? Why lose the instructions? Why stick kit bits for totally different types in the same box? 

Mo's not the only one turning purple!

My apologies if you're reading this Robert, but I fancy a rant....................

Regards,

Tony. 

Oh dear! That's why the kits needed an expert eye to see if they were any good. Those that are not will probably need to be binned or sold as junk for a nominal amount.

2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Oh dear! That's why the kits needed an expert eye to see if they were any good. Those that are not will probably need to be binned or sold as junk for a nominal amount.

The kits are good, Robert,

So far I've found nothing really missing with regard to the parts. Just missing instructions and wheels in the Gibson kits (those that have wheels are either to P4 profile or OO/EM). Which standards do you think the chap wanted to model in?

Where instructions are missing or the parts have been taken from their packaging, I've reduced the prices accordingly. To be fair, all seem to be complete with everything (including wheels in some of the earlier DJH kits), but I'm still finding some without instructions. 

I'm still puzzled what his intentions were. I can understand missing instructions from kits which have been started (they're the first things I chuck away), but to just open packets, shove all the bits together in the box with no evidence of anything being started, and then losing the instructions just seems very odd to me. 

So far, at least 20 loco kits have been sold, and some carriages. I'll form a barrier in the Post Office! 

I don't think anything need be binned, though some kits will definitely have to be reduced in price. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm still puzzled what his intentions were. I can understand missing instructions from kits which have been started (they're the first things I chuck away), but to just open packets, shove all the bits together in the box with no evidence of anything being started, and then losing the instructions just seems very odd to me. 

So am I. There is everything from Lima to Finney.  I found some P4 track gauges but only a token few P4 track components.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Just to let purchasers of the kits know, I'll be sending out the first items this morning. The sending will be spread over a few days (I don't want to cause chaos at the Post Office!).

Thanks again to all who've bought the items. The family, and CRUK will benefit. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 4

The first seven locos went off to their new homes this morning (expect delivery tomorrow).

Friday will see at least that number again sent off (I'm taking a 'day off' tomorrow!). 

Where kits have no instructions (and I'm finding more of these!), I'll be reducing prices. Where there are missing instructions, I think I've managed to make sure all the parts are there (and removed parts which shouldn't have been there in the first place!), so, any half-competent builder should manage (many instructions actually hinder decent building in my view). 

I think it's the weirdest collection it's ever been by 'privilege' to sort out.

Thanks again to all purchasers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oh,

Just to let folk know, some splendid MR scratch-built items in OO will be arriving on Friday; all proceeds to CRUK. I'll photographs these and invite offers.

And, next week I'm collecting some 'professionally-built/-painted' locos from a widow, for sale on her behalf (10% to CRUK). I'll photograph these as well, and also invite offers.

I'm going to be rather busy, especially as more of the current kits have now been bought......................

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Evening everyone!

Tony has asked me to post this, a video of my recent visit. It’s my first time filming/editing a video like this, so it’s not the best, but hopefully of interest!

Thanks Dylan,

It's rather good. Well done!

However, spot the cobweb! My fault, I should be more diligent in my cleaning beforehand.

The only think I'd change is the title. From 'Tony Wright's ECML Masterpiece' to 'Tony Wright's ECML Group Project'

What it does show is how well your Hornby HYCILLA, SUN CASTLE and KINGFISHER run. 60516's freight is no lightweight, 60523 is hauling 14 bogies (several, all-metal) and 60024's 'Elizabethan' has all-metal sides or complete metal kits in it. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Dylan,

It's rather good. Well done!

However, spot the cobweb! My fault, I should be more diligent in my cleaning beforehand.

The only think I'd change is the title. From 'Tony Wright's ECML Masterpiece' to 'Tony Wright's ECML Group Project'

What it does show is how well your Hornby HYCILLA, SUN CASTLE and KINGFISHER run. 60516's freight is no lightweight, 60523 is hauling 14 bogies (several, all-metal) and 60024's 'Elizabethan' has all-metal sides or complete metal kits in it. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Very true Tony, I'll change that next time!

I was very surprised how superbly they ran (most of the time... Hycilla didn't seem to like one of your points, I'll get the back-to-back out!) Hornby's new A2s are great models, it'll be interesting to compare the performance with the new Bachmann V2s. I've only seen a brief video of these being test ran on 'Topley Dale', but the running seems really poor!

Dylan

• RMweb Premium
On 29/06/2021 at 14:02, Tony Wright said:

My apologies if you're reading this Robert, but I fancy a rant....................

No need to apologise Tony, very frustrating I am sure.

My A3 kit arrived this morning perfectly packed and on opening I found that the kit was perfect with all instructions and all parts in their original packing so much appreciated Tony.

Looking forward to building it, but what version?.........

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1