Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, Dave John said:

Ok, I know it is mainly big engines here , but I'll bite. How much did the anchorage pug sell for? 

Not that I'm selling mine, a bit scruffy it may be, but it runs like a dream. Compensation and tender pickups help. 

586775955_CRpug2.JPG.07ab11f34ce0448f6d099737e00db276.JPG

Good evening Dave,

If the chap who bought it (who gave more than was asked) wishes to disclose the amount, then that's up to him. 

It's difficult pricing some of the models. Obviously, where a kit is still current, I'm trying to get near two thirds of its price now (providing its complete and with instructions). So far (apart from a couple of grotty ones, which I'm not selling), I've found nothing missing, other than instructions. Missing instructions usually means a reduction in price. 

Obviously, where 'bulk' purchases occur (in a few cases), then further discounts apply. 

The 'Pug' was (is) actually Jidenco. Because of my experience with these kits in the past, I'm not asking huge amounts for them. 

Tomorrow, I'll cause another queue at the Post Office!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Very true Tony, I'll change that next time!

I was very surprised how superbly they ran (most of the time... Hycilla didn't seem to like one of your points, I'll get the back-to-back out!) Hornby's new A2s are great models, it'll be interesting to compare the performance with the new Bachmann V2s. I've only seen a brief video of these being test ran on 'Topley Dale', but the running seems really poor!

Dylan

Good evening Dylan,

It was HYCILLA's tender which gave some trouble on the crossing (a single slip), so I'd suggest one of the wheelsets has a tight back-to-back. 

Are you saying that the Bachmann V2s run poorly? Where, or what is Topley Dale?

When I had three pre-production V2s to test on Little Bytham (in 2019!), they ran superbly.

Regards,

Tony. 

4 hours ago, 30368 said:

No need to apologise Tony, very frustrating I am sure.

My A3 kit arrived this morning perfectly packed and on opening I found that the kit was perfect with all instructions and all parts in their original packing so much appreciated Tony.

Looking forward to building it, but what version?.........

Kind regards,

Richard B

Thanks Richard,

From memory, the Pro-Scale A3 comes with a new type, high-sided tender, which restricts the choice slightly; more than if a GN tender were supplied (I still have kits for those, hint, hint!). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Ah, sorry Tony, I thought the wee pug was on ebay with a published sell price.  

Jidenco did the etch for the anchoridge kit, from memory it did mention that in the instructions. 

3 hours ago, Dave John said:

Ah, sorry Tony, I thought the wee pug was on ebay with a published sell price.  

Jidenco did the etch for the anchoridge kit, from memory it did mention that in the instructions. 

The one on Ebay which sold a few days ago, apparently sold  for £335, it looks from the Bids history  as if there were initially three and then two buyers who really wanted it.    

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

From memory, the Pro-Scale A3 comes with a new type, high-sided tender, which restricts the choice slightly; more than if a GN tender were supplied (I still have kits for those, hint, hint!). 

Thanks Tony. Will give this some thought, I will look at my records of 1962/3 when I spotted the last few A3's on my shed trips to Kings Cross and the NE. If I need a GN tender I know where to come. Keep up the good work for CRUK!

Kind regards,

Richard

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Dylan,

It was HYCILLA's tender which gave some trouble on the crossing (a single slip), so I'd suggest one of the wheelsets has a tight back-to-back. 

Are you saying that the Bachmann V2s run poorly? Where, or what is Topley Dale?

When I had three pre-production V2s to test on Little Bytham (in 2019!), they ran superbly.

Regards,

Tony. 

'Topley Dale' is Hornby Magazines test layout. They shared a video quite some time ago now of decorated samples running, unfortunately I can't seem to find said video (if anyone else can, I'd love to watch it again!). The video showed a number of running faults. One had a very noticeable wobble, the other slowed down and wheel slipped when pulling a medium sized RTR freight train around a corner. Not very good for a £200+ model by today's standards. Hopefully, these were teething issues that have now been stomped out...

• Thanks 1

Delighted to report that the completed DJH J50 has been sold - for £200.00; all proceeds to CRUK.

This was generously donated by Gordon S, and I completed it and painted it. It's currently being weathered by Geoff Haynes. 

Granted, this hardly covers the complete kit costs, but it's a lot more than being asked for an RTR J50. It does run superbly and is a one-off.

I'll post shots when it's weathered. 

Thanks Nick. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

'Topley Dale' is Hornby Magazines test layout. They shared a video quite some time ago now of decorated samples running, unfortunately I can't seem to find said video (if anyone else can, I'd love to watch it again!). The video showed a number of running faults. One had a very noticeable wobble, the other slowed down and wheel slipped when pulling a medium sized RTR freight train around a corner. Not very good for a £200+ model by today's standards. Hopefully, these were teething issues that have now been stomped out...

A lot of the Hornby mag content is now behind their pay wall - I haven’t got an account but that could be the reason it isn’t available on YouTube. I do recall the video though I don’t recall the running being that bad - maybe Bachmann have asked Hornby to withdraw it though especially as these would have been engineering prototypes and we know various retooling is now in process. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Jeez, what's up with you? Piece o' cake them Jidenco wagons ...

Seriously - nice job mate. I'd be happy with that as a 'layout' wagon.

Thanks Red Leader, to be honest they’re not that difficult. Just annoying that nothing fits really.  

• Agree 2

Life is not all bad and not all Railway Modelling.  I had my first Eccles Cake in probably 20+ years today.  May not seem much to you Ladies and Gentlemen on the other side of the pond, but for me it was a life event, especially as the shop brought in some Bakewell Tarts and has promised some 'Custards'.  The next great challenge  will be to save them for an running session along with a cuppa and watch trains go by.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

The Midland locos are things of great beauty..

Baz

Thanks Baz,

They are indeed. 

It's incredibly generous of Dave Hunt to donate all this stuff he's made; all proceeds going to CRUK.

Having got the locos going again, they'll need fairly generous curves, especially the 4-2-2 and the 4-4-0, because of the tight clearances around their bogies' wheels. The 0-6-4T and the outside-framed Kirtley aren't as restricted. They'd look beautiful in a display case, anyway. 

A competent modeller should be able to replace the motors/gears to bring these wonderful locos up to 21st century running standards. They all run 'fine' - no tight spots, no jerking - but their motors are of the standards of the early/mid-'70s (nearly 50 years ago!). K's (especially) and Tri-ang XO4s were never renowned for being 'quiet'. That said, they're quieter than many of their contemporaries, and much quieter than one recent Portescap I had!

I'll post more pictures later today........................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Those Midland items are lovely. I would question the origin of the 12 wheeler carriage. Ratio didn't do 12 wheelers or corridor carriages. So it is either a very extensive kit bash, which would require a huge amount of work, or it is from another source, maybe on a modified Ratio underframe.

Edited by t-b-g
Typo
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Those Midland items are lovely. I would question the origin of the 12 wheeler carriage. Ratio didn't do 12 wheelers or corridor carriages. So it is either a very extensive kit bash, which would require a huge amount of work, or it is from another source, maybe on a modified Ratio underframe.

Good morning Tony,

I'm sure you're right about the provenance of the 12-wheeler. I just looked underneath and saw 'Ratio' somewhere. It's probably (as you suggest) a 'very extensive kit bash'. If it is, it's marvellous................ MR items are not my 'thing'.

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 1

Some more pictures of the MR items...................

205641601_assortedwagons.jpg.3af925ee5e5427a88d805c171453eb45.jpg

Assorted kit-/scratch-built wagons.

1209790024_Caledonianorewagon.jpg.0776b952a9df562e50901a5724c1dcbd.jpg

A Caledonian bogie ore wagon. I believe there were only a few of these made in reality, but I've seen a rake of them on a layout in the past. 

864112394_Kirtley0-6-0Deeley0-6-4T.jpg.eab6930f04b9338237423bd20180b752.jpg

The other two locos. Scratch-built (top) and K's (bottom).

82485323_Scratch-builthorseboxkitvans.jpg.bf6b547bcde6fafa594d215de0858512.jpg

More kit-/scratch-built vans.

1367914651_six-wheeledStoresVanandbrakevan.jpg.4e43340b142f7efd6c62b1f7da347c3c.jpg

And two more.

Anyone interested, please PM me.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

I'm sure you're right about the provenance of the 12-wheeler. I just looked underneath and saw 'Ratio' somewhere. It's probably (as you suggest) a 'very extensive kit bash'. If it is, it's marvellous................ MR items are not my 'thing'.

Regards,

Tony.

I think we have one or two tame Midland experts on RMWeb but whether Wright Writes is a place they frequent isn't something I can recall.

I have built quite a few Ratio Midland carriages and I have also altered two into a 12 wheeler but if I wanted one of those Dining Cars, I wouldn't know where to start using Ratio body parts.

The whole collection is rather lovely.

It will be interesting to see just what enthusiasm there is for such things. One of the joys of modelling this period is that you are not "following the crowd" and it makes your models that bit more unusual. The down side to that is that if you want to sell some, the market is tiny compared to BR period. 

• Like 1