Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I think we have one or two tame Midland experts on RMWeb but whether Wright Writes is a place they frequent isn't something I can recall.

I have built quite a few Ratio Midland carriages and I have also altered two into a 12 wheeler but if I wanted one of those Dining Cars, I wouldn't know where to start using Ratio body parts.

The whole collection is rather lovely.

It will be interesting to see just what enthusiasm there is for such things. One of the joys of modelling this period is that you are not "following the crowd" and it makes your models that bit more unusual. The down side to that is that if you want to sell some, the market is tiny compared to BR period. 

This collection is beautiful enough to make me (almost) consider giving up modelling 1980s BR and 1950s West Wales, to fund a change to modelling the Midland Railway in 1920.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm quite tempted by the outside framed 0-6-0.... 

I'm not sure where the MR diner comes from, as I've got a requirement for a couple of them, but of the later Clipper sided version, I've built one (It runs on 'Ben Alder's Far North lines) and will have to do another...

I have to say that that complete train is something else, we live in an age with no style and grace, those Victorians knew about beauty...

Andy G

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I thought I'd take some pictures of a couple of Dave Hunt's MR locos/trains in action on LB......................

616185311_JohnsonCompoundonexpress01.jpg.b84d3bba83e646e63da53401f7f9f09d.jpg

1256600370_JohnsonCompoundonexpress02.jpg.53e058da751a3004dbd353eb93ac689d.jpg

I think this is one of the most-beautiful sets I've ever photographed on Little Bytham. 

The gangwayed 12-wheeled catering car is highly-unlikely in a rake of otherwise non-corridor stock, but it makes a lovely rake. 

Granted, the setting is even more highly-unlikely - the GN paired its four-track sections by direction and, as far as I'm aware, no Midland Railway expresses were controlled by upper-quadrant semaphores. Still, what's not to like?

Now for something which might be, perhaps, possible.....................................?

1311211753_Kirtley0-6-0oncoals01.jpg.e7c946c7b3002c99ac9c93aac7ac8293.jpg

72492805_Kirtley0-6-0oncoals02.jpg.a2d2614485295a2e4467378cd8b40989.jpg

This section of railway at LB was built by the MR itself in 1897, so, could a Kirtley 0-6-0 have taken coal to the M&GNR system? 

I'd like to think so.

Just beautiful, comfortably the best looking train ever photographed on LB - but then I would say that!

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 20/06/2021 at 13:40, Denbridge said:

With respect, bad coal is nothing new. There are many recorded instances of bad coal causing problems during BR steam and earlier. The problem with coal is that you don't necessarily know you have a bad batch of black stuff until you are out on the road. By then of course, it is too late to do anything about it.

And on one infamous occasion with Pendennis Castle the coal was too good and wrecked the grate!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Some more pictures of the MR items...................

205641601_assortedwagons.jpg.3af925ee5e5427a88d805c171453eb45.jpg

Assorted kit-/scratch-built wagons.

1209790024_Caledonianorewagon.jpg.0776b952a9df562e50901a5724c1dcbd.jpg

A Caledonian bogie ore wagon. I believe there were only a few of these made in reality, but I've seen a rake of them on a layout in the past. 

864112394_Kirtley0-6-0Deeley0-6-4T.jpg.eab6930f04b9338237423bd20180b752.jpg

The other two locos. Scratch-built (top) and K's (bottom).

82485323_Scratch-builthorseboxkitvans.jpg.bf6b547bcde6fafa594d215de0858512.jpg

More kit-/scratch-built vans.

1367914651_six-wheeledStoresVanandbrakevan.jpg.4e43340b142f7efd6c62b1f7da347c3c.jpg

And two more.

Anyone interested, please PM me.

I’ll pinch that HBR ventilated fridge van if it’s still available Tony. I recently kitbashed/scratchbuilt one out of an old Hornby wagon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

1209790024_Caledonianorewagon.jpg.0776b952a9df562e50901a5724c1dcbd.jpg

A Caledonian bogie ore wagon. I believe there were only a few of these made in reality, but I've seen a rake of them on a layout in the past. 

Tony I understand that the Caledonian only built one of these bogie ore wagons.

Andrew

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

I’m on a roll today, two Jidencos in a week, however….. this is how I feel: :crazy_mini:

Although I must say this one has turned out rather well, just the handrail and I think it’s a destination plate to be added, for some reason it’s been etched into the right hand side, but all the prototype photos I have it shows it being on the left side…ruddy Jidenco… 

It needed some altering, the middle door needed a plasticard backing to make it sit past the sides. The main thing I’ve done with the last three Jidenco kits was to throw the supplied W irons and brake gear as far as I can, step on it, light it on fire and throw it even further. I use the Mainly trains etch from Wizards and you can see the outcome in the photo. The GCR brake rigging is a bit weird than the standard, so a bit of modellers licence was needed. This should be painted, lettered and weathered by Monday, I’ll post another photo when finished.

0A51718F-169F-4FFA-8C74-FC8B0082B6D6.jpeg

7EAE34D6-C4E2-4584-87EB-035BE3343B29.jpeg

Jesse

I'll email you a drawing of the GC 10 ton Fish Van to show you what the brake gear should look like.

Andrew

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Jesse

I'll email you a drawing of the GC 10 ton Fish Van to show you what the brake gear should look like.

Andrew

JW just mentioned that to be honest but I’m confused as I have photos of both sides of the wagon here in Tatlows book. But please do, so I can correct it tomorrow morning before I paint it. 

Thanks Andrew. 

9 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Jesse

Andrew

Never mind Andrew I’ve worked out what the issue was, I tried to do a bodgy job trying to claim modellers licence, but I’ve worked out how to fix it. 

Since expressions of interest are starting to come in with regard to those lovely OO Gauge MR models, here's a list................

Scratch-built Johnson Compound

Scratch-built Johnson 4-2-2

Scratch-built Deeley 0-6-4T

K's Kirtley 0-6-0

6 x Ratio non-gangwayed carriages

1 x part scratch-built 12-wheeled gangwayed Restaurant Car

1 x part scratch-built 6-wheeled Stores Van

1 x Caley bogie ore wagon

1 x MR brake van

5 x assorted kit-/scratch-built vans

16 x kit-/scratch-built (full) coal wagons

5 x further assorted wagons.

It would be wonderful if they all went to one new home......................

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, queensquare said:

Just beautiful, comfortably the best looking train ever photographed on LB - but then I would say that!

Jerry

I don't recall seeing a better looking one Jerry.

Mind you, my all time favourite best looking train (the Buckingham 5 car GCR express with a Class 11B on the front) is EM gauge and won't fit!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

This collection is beautiful enough to make me (almost) consider giving up modelling 1980s BR and 1950s West Wales, to fund a change to modelling the Midland Railway in 1920.

My interest in that sort of period came from three different sources. Firstly there was Ken Hill, whose dad and grandad were drivers at Willesden and Neasden sheds through from GCR/LNWR days. The son moved to the GCR to escape the constant comparisons and comments about "Your Dad this that and the other".

We had photos of them standing in front of splendid looking pre-grouping locos in all their glory.

So Narrow Road and Valleyfields were set in the approx 1922 - 1927 period during the change from Midland/LNWR to LMS.

Then there was the Peter Denny influence. Always my modelling hero above all others. I always wanted to model the sort of things that he built.

The final part was down to Malcolm Crawley who wanted to build a GCR Atlantic but was going to paint it in LNER 1930s black livery.

While searching out material to help with the build, we found a few photos of them in GCR livery. I asked him "If you could have one looking like that, why would anybody want one in black?". His answer was that he would have nowhere to run it but if I built a layout as a joint project, he would produce locos and stock. Sadly, the layout wasn't more than part built when he died but the first two locos, which happened to be the last two he built, are now mine and they are superb!

I have a reasonable collection of my own pre-grouping locos now, including some from the GNR and the MR. The layout will still happen one day.

But you are quite right. Seeing models like those really does set the creative juices flowing. What an opportunity to have a core of stock for a new project that would be something a bit different.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm delighted to report that all of Dave Hunt's locos/stock collection has been sold intact.

A substantial amount has been made for CRUK!

Great news. Somebody has got hold of some truly lovely models there and I am glad they are being kept together.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

The best looking train photographed on LB?

The MR express certainly is high up on the list.

But then 'best' is subjective, particularly with regards to looks. Based on availability, reliability, adaptability and longevity, the 'best' train ever to run on (the real) Little Bytham was the HST, but I'm not a great fan of its looks. 

I've just photographed two of the 'best looking' trains I have, which run on LB.................

666480740_46245onDownexpress01.jpg.1272cfc128b5b49769e6ff42a8fc6584.jpg

860125916_46245onDownexpress02.jpg.0c870d7361937463a931a3346377b5be.jpg

This one is representative of 46245's run along the ECML to Doncaster and back in 1963 (yes, I know I should demolish the station!). 

I include it because it's within a similar colour range as the MR train seen earlier (though the colours aren't anywhere near as rich, and the lining is far less elaborate). 

It's not just the colours which are different (obviously), but it's also also a very different loco philosophy. The Compound epitomises the MR small engine policy (they were the largest express passenger locos the MR had - at a time when the GNR was building its first Pacifics), and its train is short; if it's a heavier one, double-head. This latter policy is the complete opposite of the GNR, where, from Sturrock's day, it was 'one train, one loco, whatever its weight'. 

This 'Semi' (DJH/Wright/Haynes) is totally different to that small engine policy, too, and the prototype was part of Stanier's mighty restocking of the LMS when that great railway finally got the locos it needed. 

No other main line had more big engines than the ECML (near 400 units heavier than a 'King', 'Nelson', 'West Country' or 'Royal Scot').

The A1 was the final manifestation of this policy, and here I present, in my opinion, an equally-beautiful train as the MR one. 

1591185090_60117onDownQueenofScots01.jpg.08d96d79fcefdc4a8d9d81f3ae4c9b5d.jpg

1644996129_60117onDownQueenofScots02.jpg.335d3a61bd795d06278ef3d71b936018.jpg

There was something about the combination of Brunswick Green and umber/cream which was so harmonious.

The loco/train is my work, the beautiful painting all Ian Rathbone's. 

You have a lot of very good looking trains on Little Bytham Tony. I think they lose a bit of their visual impact for me because I have seen most of them so many times, including High Dyke, Gamston bank, Stoke Summit, LB, Biggleswade plus some others too.

Seeing a Compound plus a rake of MR Clerestories stands out a mile to me as it is so unusual.

If the green loco and brown and cream carriage livery combination appeals, you should go GCR (other lesser railways with similar liveries are available).

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

As regards beautiful trains on LB, I think your Elizabethan runs the MR set close and the streamliners and teak Flying Scotsman  which ran during the 1930s back date are surely it’s equal?

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1