Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

You have a lot of very good looking trains on Little Bytham Tony. I think they lose a bit of their visual impact for me because I have seen most of them so many times, including High Dyke, Gamston bank, Stoke Summit, LB, Biggleswade plus some others too.

Seeing a Compound plus a rake of MR Clerestories stands out a mile to me as it is so unusual.

If the green loco and brown and cream carriage livery combination appeals, you should go GCR (other lesser railways with similar liveries are available).

Good evening Tony,

And Retford, of course.....................

I think you're right in that the visual impact is diminished slightly because of familiarity. But then one has to ask, why are they so familiar? Because the ECML has been represented in model form far, far more than any other comparative trunk main line. One then has to ask the question, why?

Regarding the GC (or at least the system in BR days), spending so many summers near your part of the world in the '50s/early-'60s meant a choice for trainspotting; the GC at Sheffield or Staveley or the GN at Retford or Doncaster (with, obviously, a bit of GC at Retford). No contest! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

As regards beautiful trains on LB, I think your Elizabethan runs the MR set close and the streamliners and teak Flying Scotsman  which ran during the 1930s back date are surely it’s equal?

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Seen before but worth a second look?

1110606716_60027onUpElizabethan02.jpg.0008e0a6f669fa440b6a582a134c4fa7.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, queensquare said:

I'm really pleased the David Hunt collection is staying together.

You are of course absolutely right Tony when you say that choosing your favourite train is subjective. I always count myself lucky in that the red and blue of  my two favourite companies rubbed shoulders at a modestly sized, yet very attractive terminus station in Bath - the prototype and period I wanted to model were never in doubt! 

Here we have the Manchester Diner (later Pines) leaving Combe Down tunnel and crossing Tuckingmill viaduct on my home layout. John Greenwood built the loco to N gauge standards, I put it on a 2FS chassis and repainted it. I built the coaches (still unglazed) and my good friend John Aldrick painted them. I've recently starting on another Pines rake. The dining pair will again be Midland but with the rest being LNWR stock. In my view you would struggle to find a more attractive train than a mixture of MR/LNWR coaches with a blue loco on the front.

Jerry

IMG_4980.JPG.6c668ca1dee78ecfb9491e8ed13da3cb.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG.09785aaebbea34a76e65ba7c1f291471.JPG

Lovely stuff Jerry,

Is that a JBS backscene? Or, at least, one inspired by him?

Regards,

Tony. 

8 hours ago, Clem said:

At last! some decent hopper kits. You've made a lovely job of those Peter. I've still got a couple of Bradwell kits of these to build. But they are in brass and take a while to do. I've done just the one so far. At the moment I'm just in the middle of converting a couple more Bachmann Charles Roberts type (BR diagram 162 for the BR ones) for my Stanton iron ore train. Half way through the second and the first needs painting and weathering. Arthur recently sold me his three LNER diagram 124 hopper wagons. They are beautifully built and have been a welcome addition to the train. After the couple in progress,  I'm only about 3 or 4 wagons short of the loaded train. They really need to be of the LMS type to reflect the typical mix of the times on the line I'm modelling. At the moment there is no kit for the LMS type which is a shame as they were numerous in the midlands and there is a whole rake of them surviving at Rutland heritage centre if any of the kit makers are listening. 

After I complete the loaded train, then of course, I need to build a whole train of empty hoppers. :-(

Pictures below of wagon awaiting painting and the hopper train as is.

IMG_6941.jpg.d0c86be6cd4705c4bce49a79f4945a5d.jpgIMG_6937.jpg.516057ba8f2e585e13011064696a3253.jpg

Evening Clem,

I've been adding a batch of the new Parkside hoppers to my gypsum train, another East Midlands special. They compliment the Bradwell version of these wagons quite nicely. I've added a coupe of details not found in the kit, the face plates to the solebar support brackets and the additional bracing, along the lower edge and the end corners the hopper body. I have loped off the buffers and these will be replaced with more robust HD types. I think that it may also be worth adding more detail to, or replacing the axle boxes.

13 tn hopper.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Lovely stuff Jerry,

Is that a JBS backscene? Or, at least, one inspired by him?

Regards,

Tony. 

Bit of both Tony. The stretch behind the viaduct was painted by JBS, that further to the left toward the colliery is inspired by. John has very kindly spent a fair bit of time teaching me how to paint a backscene. Mine are not a patch on his but are acceptable. I have a strategically placed wooded area and a batch (Somerset for spoil heap) which rise above the horizon line which separate John's and my bits. The rising mass of Combe Down on the right, Bath side, of the viaduct performs the same function.

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Evening Clem,

I've been adding a batch of the new Parkside hoppers to my gypsum train, another East Midlands special. They compliment the Bradwell version of these wagons quite nicely. I've added a coupe of details not found in the kit, the face plates to the solebar support brackets and the additional bracing, along the lower edge and the end corners the hopper body. I have loped off the buffers and these will be replaced with more robust HD types. I think that it may also be worth adding more detail to, or replacing the axle boxes.

13 tn hopper.jpg

Evening Andrew. Looking good and benefits from the extra detail. I’ve got three of these on order but there seems to be shortage at the mement.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Lovely (top) picture, Robert.

What's the service she's on? The Saturday 'Elizabethan'? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, I believe it is the Saturday working of the Elizabethan set.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Tony,

And Retford, of course.....................

I think you're right in that the visual impact is diminished slightly because of familiarity. But then one has to ask, why are they so familiar? Because the ECML has been represented in model form far, far more than any other comparative trunk main line. One then has to ask the question, why?

Regarding the GC (or at least the system in BR days), spending so many summers near your part of the world in the '50s/early-'60s meant a choice for trainspotting; the GC at Sheffield or Staveley or the GN at Retford or Doncaster (with, obviously, a bit of GC at Retford). No contest! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Regards,

Tony. 

How could I forget Retford?

As for the GCR, I am not sure I would want to model it in the BR period. Largely unloved and unwanted by the ER and eventually under the LMR it was just a route north too many by then. Even in LNER days it was always very much secondary to the ECML and usually got the locos that nobody else wanted.

Pre 1923 was its prime and it was a very good prime indeed. 

I don't doubt the popularity of the ECML. I just like supporting the underdog and not going with the crowd. Hence my modelling not only the GCR but even a backwater of that system, the LD&ECR.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Never mind bodging! If it is something GCR it needs a proper job.

This is my version of the brake gear on a GCR Fish van. It was built from a GA drawing plus photos. It still needs a wire from the crank on the cross shaft to the other end and I have snipped away parts of the linkage to allow the wheels to be removed.

20210703_160956.jpg.fe5e7e14ad77342fb478d84c101c60b8.jpg20210703_160935.jpg.6146ed30700f00b261171cf945fdd208.jpg20210703_160926.jpg.267787817e8f2e850006fc021b9dfa2a.jpg

I’ve just woken up so I’m going to try and tackle it now. Be back in a few hours. Thanks Tony. 

On 02/07/2021 at 21:34, Tony Wright said:

Good friend Dave Hunt and his lovely wife popped in for lunch today.

He brought with him some items he'd made which he's donating for sale, with all proceeds going to CRUK. 

I mentioned these some little time ago, but here's a selection.................

1487793408_Johnson4-2-2.jpg.7c211c3cfc0188af4b3b27187b6caebc.jpg

A Johnson 4-4-2.

136688487_JohnsonCompound.jpg.5d953b665cafa2ca9e57a19d4000ff39.jpg

And a Johnson Compound. Both these locos were scratch-built by Dave, well over 40 years ago.

There are two others - a scratch-built 'Flatiron' and a K's Kirtley 0-6-0. 

None of these has turned a wheel in those over-four decades since they were built. I've cleaned/adjusted/oiled them, and they all work. However, since their motors are either K's or Tri-ang, then performance is 'of its day', though they all run well; you can hear them coming, should we say? 

The painting is beautiful - all his work, too. 

As are these................

2119205330_MR12-wheeledDiningCar.jpg.51159404b39d6a9a57299e237a5ac6af.jpg

1552832349_MRComposite.jpg.1321225d5b8dbf9ea58e12fcc2aa250b.jpg

MR Ratio carriages. There are five others of this quality, plus a six-wheeler, and various MR/pre-Grouping vans and wagons, scratch- or kit-built, all wonderfully well-made and finished.

All of the collection is in OO (Dave models in Scale Seven now, and has done for years).

I'll take more pictures tomorrow and give a complete list. Though I'm not against selling the items individually, it would be nice if it all went to one home, or at most just a few. 

It's a rare opportunity to acquire some outstanding pre-Grouping models.

Anyone interested, please PM me.

Beautiful models, a very generous gesture @Dave Hunt

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Beautiful models, a very generous gesture @Dave Hunt

They are. And, it is indeed.

The workmanship is delightful and the paint finish, superb.

It makes me wonder if any of those who are so critical of things in the hobby or just bleat about this or that not being right (without offering practical suggestions or help) would be quite so altruistic. But, isn't that human nature?

All I know is that this week I'll be sending a cheque off the CRUK for nearly £1,500, which includes Dave Hunt's donated models and contributions from modellers who've bought other donated models - Dave, Elaine, Al, Ian, Ollie and Graham; my most-grateful thanks. This doesn't, of course, include 10% of sales for all those recent kits I've been posting all over the place. That's yet to come! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 12

7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Graham,

It's hard to believe that it's three years ago that we staged that fund-raising LNER weekend on Little Bytham. 

Though MALLARD made an exciting finale picture, I think this was the best one from the whole set of photographs I took...........

167089415_Trainsrunning25C1onmilktrain.jpg.fdd11579567ef2ce925770ba75f011bf.jpg

What's interesting (apart from the wonderful train) is how much progress has been made on LB since this shot was taken. 

The out-of-proportion (and only temporary) MR/M&GNR girder bridge in the distance has now been replaced by the proper one (thanks once again Jamie and Dave), and I've now completed all the point rodding. Those somersault signal you made just for the weekend went to a good home afterwards (with all proceeds to CRUK). 

Regards,

Tony. 

I love that photo as well, I’ll have to bring my exact same milk train over and do a side by side shot @jwealleans what do you think. Although mine will have to be the furthest away form the camera as yours is much better :laugh_mini:

Thinking back to that weekend, it was so much fun, it really was an honour to be part of the team. 

85C4AC67-5ABF-4E62-8AEA-660183C95F96.jpeg

• Like 19

That picture has been my wallpaper until the one of the Hood appeared last month.   A top class souvenir of two excellent weekends.  

I don't think my milk train has too much over yours either, Jesse, especially given the top class job Jack did on the brake van.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd crack on with adding transfers to my S&DJR coaches last night, so I opened up the HMRS Methfix sheet I ordered last year. I know this has been mentioned on Wright Writes before, but when I finally got a good look at the transfers, they were atrocious. The white part of the printing was about a mm out of register with where it should be, meaning that at least the S&D part of the sheet was unusable.

I've contacted HMRS to see what they say, but since I had this sent to me last year, it's presumably of a recent batch and about as good as it's going to get.

Unfortunately the HMRS Midland sheet seems to be the only source of S&D carriage transfers in 4mm.

• Friendly/supportive 6