Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

11 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Going back to motor/gearboxes, I see that Ultrascale a developing a new range of 3D printed gearboxes. 4MM ones are in development. No indication of prices though.

https://www.ultrascale.uk/node/67

Mike Wiltshire

If these are produced in 4mm scale, assuming they are reasonably priced, they could be a real game changer.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Clem said:

Morning Andrew.

Yes I know Hotchley Hill very well. It's now part of the GCR (heritage) northern section and still, I believe, used by BR or whatever it is now (or was until recently) for gypsum traffic via the main line spur connection with the ex-MR at Loughborough. Yes I do know this photo and have the book. Hmm ... a Charles Roberts for the second vehicle and at least some of the 13 tonners as modelled by Parkside.

The approach you suggest for filing down the underside is a good idea but I'm not sure how easy making up a jig would be as it would have to accomodate the detail which sits above the plate. Let me know if you do one so I can see how you've done it. It also shows why you are a first rate modeller and I'm just a bodger :rolleyes:.

While I'm posting, do you have any idea what is the origin of this type of hopper (see below). This is at Rutland Railway Museum. I've noticed one or two of these in the ore trains on the Derby line. Obviously private owner. I wondered if they are an earlier version of the 22T/24T ones.

IMG_0507.JPG.df86f601db65838b98b343088ecf97be.JPG

Afternoon Clem,

I forgot to mention, the raised detail makes it easier, you just insert blocks on to the base plate of the jig, so that the hopper platform sits upside down on the blocks with the detail dangling. The blocks support the platform and but up to the detail and holds everything solid. A alternative way would be not to detach the platform from the hopper body, just the chassis so that the whole thing sits upside down on the top of the hopper body. I have occasionally filed away material in these circumstances on other items, so that it becomes paper thin and the detail just drops out.

The jig is nothing special, being constructed of plasticard but with a steel filing plate on the top.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not just 2400 pages but Wright Writes is into the A4 class now with over 60,000 posts and still going strong.

To paraphrase old Winston (more like butcher his fine speech)  "Never in the field of the internet forum, as so much been written about so little by so few."

Tongue firmly in cheek there.

I know we don't always agree on everything but I still think it is the most entertaining thread on RMWeb!

Edited by t-b-g
To add content
  • Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I know we don't always agree on everything but I still think it is the most entertaining thread on RMWeb!

I think that’s the beauty of Wright Writes Tony. All talent and comments are welcome. I’ve certainly learnt a lot from my time here. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Keep your nose out of this.

Upset about the football?

Come on, there is no need to get like that.

Tony did not mention anybody by name so I did not have a clue who he was on about.

It would probably have been better for all if it had remained like that.

Bernard

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

He didn't name me but I knew who he was on about.

I've removed several posts Clive from several parties as it's a private issue rather than a public spat. Thanks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

And now for something completely different.

For a bit of fun I've been building a N/2mm scale Beaver white metal kit of an LNER/NER Quad bogie bolster wagon. It's quite a simple white metal kit with few parts and I've superglued it together as the deck is plastic sheet (as well as being one of those who avoids soldering where possible). I've got a bit of paint on it but it could do with weathering. I didn't have any specific decals for LNER/BR Quads so used some rough and ready generic ones. The huge girder load, made from plasticard, needs chaining down but that's something else I don't have - suitable fine chain. Must get some.

1805335037_Quadred.jpg.0c85c136b34bc3ec793a8c8cb5380ffc.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Could I seek some assistance please? Can anyone identify the class of locomotive in the picture below for me? Even better would be if someone knows which company made the white metal kit from which it has been constructed. I have tried all the usual search engines for an LNER loco with the number 1025 but none of the results even resemble the model. Thank you in advance.

IMG_2663.JPG.8c9c27982933c9370d27c71e5b839c35.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manxcat said:

Could I seek some assistance please? Can anyone identify the class of locomotive in the picture below for me? Even better would be if someone knows which company made the white metal kit from which it has been constructed. I have tried all the usual search engines for an LNER loco with the number 1025 but none of the results even resemble the model. Thank you in advance.

Looks like a J27 to me!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Manxcat said:

Look on:-

https://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=601027037&loco=1025 

all the details are there. 

Edited by jollysmart
Tidy up.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, Manxcat said:

It's a Worsdell class J.27 ( N.E.R. class P.3 0-6-0 ) , B.R. no. 65816 . It looks very much like a Nu-Cast kit  , although Dave Alexander also produced a kit for the class the lack of brake gear strongly suggests the former .

Ray ,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Manxcat said:

I know of two whitemetal kits for the J27. NuCast and Dave Alexander.

Edit to add posted simultaneously with Ray.

Edited by t-b-g
To add content
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Talking of J27's here is one of mine on the sort of train I remember most from my spotting days. This is a Dave Alexander kit, and the photo is an experiment using a decent mobile phone. It's the sort of reverse "hand-me-down" from what we were used to as kids when thins went from older to younger- the phone was passed down from my son!

IMG_20210709_160200.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

With today's sales, the sum is now well on the way to £5,000.00! 

Tony, it sounds like it has been a lot of hard work, and some angst, but that figure above is an achievement.  I am sure that both the widow and CRUK will be deeply grateful for your efforts, and that’s what ultimately matters here.

• Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

My experience exactly with this sort of thing, Tony - don't!

2 years work cataloguing, all for two grand at the end of the day.

Thanks Neil,

Without appearing too altruistic, I don't take a fee. In fact, my time is my contribution to the whole process. 

However, if something catches my eye, I'll buy it (at the price I'd set for anyone), then not bother telling anyone else about it. First come, as it were!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

A very good friend came round today, leaving with a very heavy bag and a very light wallet.............

Among other items, he bought the following locos from the collection...............565112619_O43.jpg.c91da1f7b6562d3669becfbb12eb00fb.jpg

An O4/3.

1525500900_O47.jpg.8283a94382e0812899008197dc3c1383.jpg

An O4/7.

499089314_O48.jpg.c331193442d96278e1554d79648525c2.jpg

And an O4/8.

This trio was built by Ron Goult, from his own Little Engines kits. Robust, reliable and all good runners. They're fine 'layout locos' at source. Detailing/weathering awaits. 

1437304573_O23BR.jpg.be78a36f2a4f7d3d791b78ff977cdd3f.jpg

He also bought this Nu-Cast O2/3 (builder/painter unknown). The buffer beam needs its lower corners clipping off for an O2/3. 

Thanks Geoff. 

Two locos which didn't tempt him were the following...................

O1.jpg.14e1a38eb4bb760b8dcde776573ae29d.jpg

Another Ron Goult build from his own kits is this O1. What price something like this, when Hornby's RTR one can be obtained for under £100.00?  

1449396797_O22LNER.jpg.7bc99981b179a3e8154cb74d3cf75e6f.jpg

And this Nu-Cast O2/2. The pony wheels are too large here.

Both locos run really well and are Portescap-powered. Anyone interested?

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I will put my hand up to admit I contacted Robert earlier today and withdrew from helping out with disposing of this collection.  I seriously considered buying the Lima job lot, keeping with the spirit of the exercise by splitting the profits with CRUK.  Once I'd slept on it I came to the conclusion that it would be a lot of stuff to add to my already overcrowded loft, would probably take me 2-3 years to dispose of it at my usual rate and the profit (having paid what I considered was a reasonably fair price for Lima items, even in boxed condition) wouldn't repay the effort involved.

Good auction houses and secondhand traders will give you a fair price as well as achieving the best sale price within a reasonable timescale.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I will put my hand up to admit I contacted Robert earlier today and withdrew from helping out with disposing of this collection.  I seriously considered buying the Lima job lot, keeping with the spirit of the exercise by splitting the profits with CRUK.  Once I'd slept on it I came to the conclusion that it would be a lot of stuff to add to my already overcrowded loft, would probably take me 2-3 years to dispose of it at my usual rate and the profit (having paid what I considered was a reasonably fair price for Lima items, even in boxed condition) wouldn't repay the effort involved.

Good auction houses and secondhand traders will give you a fair price as well as achieving the best sale price within a reasonable timescale.

No problem, I have found a dealer who will take most, possibly all, of the remaining RTR stock.  There are over 550 items remaining, not counting any unsold kits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello all,

As this thread appears to have a fairly high concentration of LNER modelers, (I’m a new one, have been a Midland Rly modeler) I thought I might ask this question here. I’m currently Modifying a Hornby B12 into a B12/4 and I was wondering if any of those engines carried their B12/3 chimneys and domes with them after their rebuild. I ask as they are very hard to remove from the model. 

thank you,

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1