Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

8 hours ago, robertcwp said:

No problem, I have found a dealer who will take most, possibly all, of the remaining RTR stock.  There are over 550 items remaining, not counting any unsold kits.

Good morning Robert,

As I mentioned to you earlier, you'll be getting a substantial cheque this week for the kits I've sold. Thankfully, most have their instructions, and, where not, I've been able to source them from elsewhere (thanks to those who've helped here) or reduced the price accordingly. DJH has also been very helpful in providing some spare parts (this is a privileged position for me, because I help the firm). 

There is still, however, a large number left. I'll keep them for now (visitors might want to buy them), but the initial 'flow' of interest has now slowed to a trickle (though one loco kit and two carriages have been sold over the weekend).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Robert,

As I mentioned to you earlier, you'll be getting a substantial cheque this week for the kits I've sold. Thankfully, most have their instructions, and, where not, I've been able to source them from elsewhere (thanks to those who've helped here) or reduced the price accordingly. DJH has also been very helpful in providing some spare parts (this is a privileged position for me, because I help the firm). 

There is still, however, a large number left. I'll keep them for now (visitors might want to buy them), but the initial 'flow' of interest has now slowed to a trickle (though one loco kit and two carriages have been sold over the weekend).

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

Unless i have missed it ? I have never seen a list of what is available, and as already  mentioned already approx prices. You may have sold items much easier if a list had been shown from the start.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Tony

Unless i have missed it ? I have never seen a list of what is available, and as already  mentioned already approx prices. You may have sold items much easier if a list had been shown from the start.

I think lists of both batches were posted by Tony or me but this thread moves at such a pace that they could easily have been missed.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I think lists of both batches were posted by Tony or me but this thread moves at such a pace that they could easily have been missed.

I have only ever seen photos , some with queries as to make etc . Thanks

1 minute ago, micklner said:

I think we might be at cross purposes. Tony's post which you quoted related to the unbuilt kits I passed to him for disposal, not completed models. The second batch was listed in this post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, micklner said:

Most recent list in this post:

Do try and keep up, Mick!

Edited by LNER4479
Apologies - posted simultaneously with Robert's more or less identical post.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

But with a number now sold, perhaps a new list of what is still available might not go amiss.

EDIT: and sorry Tony I do realise that is yet more work for you.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

But with a number now sold, perhaps a new list of what is still available might not go amiss.

As mentioned above, prices would also be a great help, if only to minimise the number of pm's Tony has to reply to :smile_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Tony,

Congratulations on passing 2400 pages. I find it difficult to keep up.

Just one comment about 'collections' that you mentioned a while back and the absence of layouts owned by collectors. In my case, and I guess I would be regarded as a collector judging by the models I have accumulated over the years and the pile of unbuilt kits. However I would prefer to describe myself as a railway enthusiast which modelling forms part of as well as having an interest in the preservation movement and general history of British railways.

I must confess that I am not so interested in the current scene on the mainline although I still enjoy rail travel and often wonder what hobby I might have taken up if I was a youth today!

My railway interest started as a young train spotter. I joined the LCGB and enjoyed all their activities. After steam finished on the mainline and I did those family things, I turned my interest to modelling and joined a local club. The club facilities included a permanent layout in the cellar of one of our members and we also built exhibition layouts.

So finally I come to my point [at last! I hear you say] which is that my 'collection' did not originally require a layout of my own as I had the club facilities to run on. As time went by we lost the permanent club layout and members got too old to want to continue with exhibition layouts. I now have a double track around my garage, all be it without scenery (at present) so I can at least run trains for my own pleasure. 

By the way I don't remember you mentioning a layout of your own before LB?

Sorry to read about your frustrations involved with disposing of the collection but it's for a worthwhile cause so keep up the good work.

Keith

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Neil,

Without appearing too altruistic, I don't take a fee. In fact, my time is my contribution to the whole process. 

However, if something catches my eye, I'll buy it (at the price I'd set for anyone), then not bother telling anyone else about it. First come, as it were!

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

I did mean the two thousand raised was for the widow, not me!  My time was free, given as a fellow member of the NMRA on the island, which is how the request to help reached me.  There were three of us, now only two.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

4 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Good afternoon Andy,

It's a good idea.

I've posted off seven models this morning to those who've already paid for them or are going to (all guaranteed up to £500.00). 

I've had a couple more enquiries today, and when they're dealt with I'll list what remains (a lot less, thankfully). 

Thanks for your kind thought.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, polybear said:

As mentioned above, prices would also be a great help, if only to minimise the number of pm's Tony has to reply to :smile_mini:

As I've just mentioned to Andy, Brian,

I'll do the list (and prices) very soon.

It might have been wiser for me to have done it earlier, but foresight isn't as easy as hindsight. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

I'm tempted to wonder when charitable behaviour goes so far as to become a rod for your own back.

Very true, Graeme, very true...........

I honestly didn't mind doing this 'charitable behaviour', but when I made a bit of a cock-up (not embezzlement, just a simple mistake, for which I personally apologised), to have caused such a fuss yesterday (so much so that Andy York had to delete posts) it makes me wonder if causing so much 'unhappiness' is really worth it.

I can only reiterate my most grateful thanks for all those very-tolerant folk who've bought the models and who've been so kind in their comments. That doesn't mean I've changed my mind about doing nothing more of this kind of thing once the rest have gone. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hi Tony

I did mean the two thousand raised was for the widow, not me!  My time was free, given as a fellow member of the NMRA on the island, which is how the request to help reached me.  There were three of us, now only two.

Good afternoon Neil,

Apologies for my not understanding. The problems of being obtuse.............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Hi Tony,

Congratulations on passing 2400 pages. I find it difficult to keep up.

Just one comment about 'collections' that you mentioned a while back and the absence of layouts owned by collectors. In my case, and I guess I would be regarded as a collector judging by the models I have accumulated over the years and the pile of unbuilt kits. However I would prefer to describe myself as a railway enthusiast which modelling forms part of as well as having an interest in the preservation movement and general history of British railways.

I must confess that I am not so interested in the current scene on the mainline although I still enjoy rail travel and often wonder what hobby I might have taken up if I was a youth today!

My railway interest started as a young train spotter. I joined the LCGB and enjoyed all their activities. After steam finished on the mainline and I did those family things, I turned my interest to modelling and joined a local club. The club facilities included a permanent layout in the cellar of one of our members and we also built exhibition layouts.

So finally I come to my point [at last! I hear you say] which is that my 'collection' did not originally require a layout of my own as I had the club facilities to run on. As time went by we lost the permanent club layout and members got too old to want to continue with exhibition layouts. I now have a double track around my garage, all be it without scenery (at present) so I can at least run trains for my own pleasure. 

By the way I don't remember you mentioning a layout of your own before LB?

Sorry to read about your frustrations involved with disposing of the collection but it's for a worthwhile cause so keep up the good work.

Keith

A point worth getting to, Keith,

Most of the 'proper' layouts I've been involved with prior to LB have been WMRC ones. 

I had a layout about 55 years ago which I considered to be 'scale'. Why? Because I'd used Peco Streamline flexible track rather than the previous 'train set' stuff. It was rubbish!

After marriage, I built another layout in one of our bedrooms. It was rubbish, but not quite to the same extent. 

I built the first Stoke Summit in a loft in another house. It appeared in the RM in 1983 or '84 (or maybe before). It wasn't exactly rubbish, but it was severely compromised. After that, the tunnel mouth became the starting point for the proper Stoke Summit. That, of course, was built by WMRC members (a select few) and the rest, as is said, is history. 

I suppose the only 'saving grace' about the rubbishy layouts is that they were all my own work. However, I quickly realised that any half-decent layout I might be involved with would be the product of teamwork. As LB is...............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Bit tricky trying to make something decent out of a rather old model, but this is where I have got to so far:

51308541086_c0347e3db4_o.jpgIMG_1007m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The blanked out headcodes are just white masking tape at present until I can establish what, if any, headcodes were displayed in 1957. The wonky buffer has been straightend out a bit. 

It seems to run with its EM wheels but I only have a 6' test track for EM. The real test will come when I try it on Retford.

The DMBS cab front windows could do with flush glazing but that might be a bit awkward. Similarly, all the sliding vents should be silver but that would mean knocking out all the existing glazing and re-doing it - it's done separately for each window. First class could do with curtains - something to sort out along with non-smoking markings on appropriate windows. Tension lock couplings between the cars need to go.

https://shawplan.wordpress.com/?s=Dmu&submit=Search

The Shawplan 117 DMU laserglaze set will give you flush front and cab door windows, they’ll be an easy fix and will really make the face ‘pop’

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A point worth getting to, Keith,

Most of the 'proper' layouts I've been involved with prior to LB have been WMRC ones. 

I had a layout about 55 years ago which I considered to be 'scale'. Why? Because I'd used Peco Streamline flexible track rather than the previous 'train set' stuff. It was rubbish!

After marriage, I built another layout in one of our bedrooms. It was rubbish, but not quite to the same extent. 

I built the first Stoke Summit in a loft in another house. It appeared in the RM in 1983 or '84 (or maybe before). It wasn't exactly rubbish, but it was severely compromised. After that, the tunnel mouth became the starting point for the proper Stoke Summit. That, of course, was built by WMRC members (a select few) and the rest, as is said, is history. 

I suppose the only 'saving grace' about the rubbishy layouts is that they were all my own work. However, I quickly realised that any half-decent layout I might be involved with would be the product of teamwork. As LB is...............

Regards,

Tony. 

Sorry to disagree tony, every model railway layout is not rubbish in the eyes of it's maker at the time of making. Hopefully we all learn over the years and improve our efforts, with help from many involved - manufacturers, press, rmweb, friends etc.

I would never call any layout rubbish - just that some are better than others !!

Glad to see 2400 pages, looking forward to 5000+ !!

Interesting thoughts by many earlier re disposal of friends stock - god knows what will happen to mine as no one I know (or family) are even remotely interested. Bit sad really. I have my stuff insured for basically what I bought things for, time and effort not taken into account. Selling it all would attract far less than the insurance value I think reading this thread.

Lastly well done for your work / contributions to CRUK, a noble act indeed.

Brit15

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Bit tricky trying to make something decent out of a rather old model, but this is where I have got to so far:

51308541086_c0347e3db4_o.jpgIMG_1007m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The blanked out headcodes are just white masking tape at present until I can establish what, if any, headcodes were displayed in 1957. The wonky buffer has been straightend out a bit. 

It seems to run with its EM wheels but I only have a 6' test track for EM. The real test will come when I try it on Retford.

The DMBS cab front windows could do with flush glazing but that might be a bit awkward. Similarly, all the sliding vents should be silver but that would mean knocking out all the existing glazing and re-doing it - it's done separately for each window. First class could do with curtains - something to sort out along with non-smoking markings on appropriate windows. Tension lock couplings between the cars need to go.

Is that early crest correct? I thought they only appeared on the first DMUs, Derby lightweight and MetCam power cars.

15 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Sorry to disagree tony, every model railway layout is not rubbish in the eyes of it's maker at the time of making. Hopefully we all learn over the years and improve our efforts, with help from many involved - manufacturers, press, rmweb, friends etc.

I would never call any layout rubbish - just that some are better than others !!

Glad to see 2400 pages, looking forward to 5000+ !!

Interesting thoughts by many earlier re disposal of friends stock - god knows what will happen to mine as no one I know (or family) are even remotely interested. Bit sad really. I have my stuff insured for basically what I bought things for, time and effort not taken into account. Selling it all would attract far less than the insurance value I think reading this thread.

Lastly well done for your work / contributions to CRUK, a noble act indeed.

Brit15

Very kind of you to say so.............

However, did you ever see my early layouts? No? Pity, you might have changed your opinion.

Best regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just throwing a bit of non-railway modelling into WW for variety, as I know we all like a bit of iconic post-war British engineering.

This an Airfix Hawker Hunter under construction. It's a really lovely kit and captures the beautifully proportioned lines of this early jet

very nicely. Hunters were well-known for making the "blue note", a sort of droning air-raid siren noise, supposedly due to the airflow interacting with the gun-ports.

hawker2.jpg.3c644913a64e0b5697e292bedccf3661.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Is that early crest correct? I thought they only appeared on the first DMUs, Derby lightweight and MetCam power cars.

Yes, I checked this to photos and the BTF film 'Diesel Train Ride', which also includes interior views. This is a later shot after the speed whiskers and and blue squares had been added, but still with the cycling lion: 

50633919556_b0d9d1dbae_o.jpgE50008_Grantham by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 6