Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

That’s odd Craig, where about a in Oz are you?

Tony sent me a parcel near on three weeks ago and it’s not scheduled for another week…… 

I've had something on order from Scotland since January. By April I reckoned it wasn't going to come, so I ordered an alternative from somewhere else. I was right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jesse Sim said:

That’s odd Craig, where about a in Oz are you?

Tony sent me a parcel near on three weeks ago and it’s not scheduled for another week…… 

Im in Sydney Jesse. I actually met you at the Liverpool show you to Tony to on his trip over here. I was the one who recognised him.

I am wary of the tracking. According to parcelforce it was still in the Uk and the same with Australia post. Then the AP status changed to awaiting Customs clearance and then on for delivery.

All happened quickly.

Regards,

Craig

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Paul, I think we're at cross purposes. I was trying to find the listings on eBay.

Not on there yet, need to determine with TW the reserves etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

With 10% from sales for Robert Carroll (the cheque's in the post, Robert), there's a substantial amount going to CRUK this morning as well. My chequebook is much lighter! 

Thanks. When the cheque might arrive is an interesting question as apparently most of the local Post Office staff are currently isolating due to a COVID case!

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks. The black tac is an idea worth trying.

I think my main problem with the magnets is when I turn a coach round and have two corridor connectors together. This can push the magnets apart on a curve. But I’ve got to do some more testing after yesterday’s problems.

At home they’re strong enough for my HOM rake which is 14 coaches including two with brass sides or, for instance, my 1735 KX-NCL/ Saltburn which load to 12 coaches including a metal triplet.

Andy

Thanks to all for giving very useful information on couplings. I suspected that corridor connections might be 'levering' the magnets apart. It would be useful to have some data re the Hunt magnetic couplings = what is the uncoupling force and then measure the pulling force (static and dynamic) needed for the rake for comparison (around curves which will increase rolling resistance). I guess the other thing to look out for is how square the magnets are sitting in the plastic socket.

I have tried the Roco couplings as well. Not all coaches are equal and sometimes the corridor connections prevent the couplings closing fully. All in all there are some choices other than the tension locks and of course fixed rakes can be protypical screw link or 3 link for wagons.

Dave

• Like 2

On 09/07/2021 at 21:20, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Paul,

£1,500 - phew! 

This might be worth that..............

2059701537_FinneyA3inEM60073.jpg.f69226dcfab43a005263ff713759203a.jpg

This is the best in the collection by many a mile. It's built from a Finney kit, in EM. 

Were it not for the fact that it's not signed, I'd say it's to the late John Hayes' standard of kit construction. Portescap-powered (a very-free one), it runs superbly. 

The painting is top-class.

I'll be visiting Retford soon, and I'll give it a spin on that. Pity I can't afford it..........................

I take your point about it being better to install motors in locos, even though the commissioner might never want to run them. However, with these gummed-up ones, dismantling might be the only option. 

Regards,

Tony. 

60073 would look good on Retford but as, a Heaton engine at the time, would it have appeared there regularly in 1957?

Do EM engines sell for less than 00 equivalents because of the more limited market?

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Do EM engines sell for less than 00 equivalents because of the more limited market?

In general terms yes, S4/P4 are even worse, it’s the same with rolling stock too.

Having seen that A3 yesterday I can confirm it’s every bit as good as Tony says it is.

Edited by PMP
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

I have had an old Keyser Jubilee body only kit , well on forty years (cost £28 ) , recently I bought another one off eBay , a complete kit for sixty pounds , well I thought I would build the two as my LMR loco fleet needs adding to.

After building the chassis’s (Comet ) and getting the footplate fixed nice and square I looked at the rest of the body parts , well the one I have just bought, an original Ks kit , with parts on the card held in place with that hard to remove vacuum seal , I’ve encountered a big problem, the firebox castings are the same hand !!

The body only pack has the two correct castings , so do I now only get to finish one kit ? I don’t think the new owners of the nu-cast range which took over the Ks range will ever do the Jubilee, so has anybody any ideas on how to make a replacement firebox ?

Dennis

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, D.Platt said:

The body only pack has the two correct castings , so do I now only get to finish one kit ? I don’t think the new owners of the nu-cast range which took over the Ks range will ever do the Jubilee, so has anybody any ideas on how to make a replacement firebox ?

Dennis

You could try writing to Brassmasters and see if they would sell you a firebox. I have had 5f and Patriot boilers off them previously. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

46 minutes ago, D.Platt said:

Afternoon All

I have had an old Keyser Jubilee body only kit , well on forty years (cost £28 ) , recently I bought another one off eBay , a complete kit for sixty pounds , well I thought I would build the two as my LMR loco fleet needs adding to.

After building the chassis’s (Comet ) and getting the footplate fixed nice and square I looked at the rest of the body parts , well the one I have just bought, an original Ks kit , with parts on the card held in place with that hard to remove vacuum seal , I’ve encountered a big problem, the firebox castings are the same hand !!

Dennis

It may be worth giving Dave a ring. If the existing mould is still useable he may be able to provide you with a casting. I managed to get obtain a couple of castings from old kits from him. Dave is always super helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I have tried the Roco couplings as well. Not all coaches are equal and sometimes the corridor connections prevent the couplings closing fully. All in all there are some choices other than the tension locks and of course fixed rakes can be protypical screw link or 3 link for wagons.

Dave

Kaydee are not too inaccurate for carriages, just a bit big

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Craigw said:

Im in Sydney Jesse. I actually met you at the Liverpool show you to Tony to on his trip over here. I was the one who recognised him.

I am wary of the tracking. According to parcelforce it was still in the Uk and the same with Australia post. Then the AP status changed to awaiting Customs clearance and then on for delivery.

All happened quickly.

Regards,

Craig

Oh sorry Craig, I don’t remember. 

That’s Aus post for ya 

3 hours ago, PMP said:

I’m doing it for him, otherwise it’s likely to be an oil/water scenario….

Thanks Paul,

It's very kind of you, and great to see you again yesterday.

And, even greater (if that's possible), that little Sentinel has 'come home'!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Dave

The ones with which I had a few issues were original Bachmann Mk1s. Even using the longer Hornby R8220 coupler, they won't fully close without a bit of assistance (pulling the link against its spring). That's OK when forming trains up in the fiddle yard but not helpful for "on-stage" carriage shunting.  The links are also a bit too "springy" for my liking and may change shape under load.

Automatic coupling without manual intervention isn't vital for me (though it is helpful), and rubbing down the corridor ends a little may introduce enough wriggle room. I long ago arrived at a preferred solution of replacing the links with cast resin ones from Keen Systems. Note that these place the pocket at the NEM-compliant height and reach so won't line up with Bachmann originals. It's therefore necessary to do all vehicles within a set.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Thanks. When the cheque might arrive is an interesting question as apparently most of the local Post Office staff are currently isolating due to a COVID case!

It was posted this morning Robert,

What do you want me to do with what's left (still a fair bit)? As you probably realise, I've sold some of the kits off for less because instructions have gone AWOL and packets of parts have been opened. Thus (and nobody has responded by saying bits are missing, thankfully), I've no way of checking off a parts list.

It really seems daft to have removed instructions from the kits in the first place.

You can see what's left in a fortnight. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

60073 would look good on Retford but as, a Heaton engine at the time, would it have appeared there regularly in 1957?

Good afternoon Robert,

ST GATIEN is underlined in my 1957 Ian Allan abc Combined Volume, with 'Retford' scrawled alongside (the scribbling of an 11 year old!). Whether it was a regular, I don't know, but Tyneside engines worked daily through Retford, at least as far as Grantham.

By the way, the asking price (accepted already, though it's yet to run on Retford) is half that.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Robert,

ST GATIEN is underlined in my 1957 Ian Allan abc Combined Volume, with 'Retford' scrawled alongside (the scribbling of an 11 year old!). Whether it was a regular, I don't know, but Tyneside engines worked daily through Retford, at least as far as Grantham.

By the way, the asking price (accepted already, though it's yet to run on Retford) is half that.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks, I had it in mind that Heaton engines tended to go north from Newcastle but clearly not always.

17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It was posted this morning Robert,

What do you want me to do with what's left (still a fair bit)? As you probably realise, I've sold some of the kits off for less because instructions have gone AWOL and packets of parts have been opened. Thus (and nobody has responded by saying bits are missing, thankfully), I've no way of checking off a parts list.

It really seems daft to have removed instructions from the kits in the first place.

You can see what's left in a fortnight. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Perhaps we can work it out when I visit. A bulk sale to a dealer might be the best way forward.

There are still all the etched carriage sides to deal with and sundry other items such as the remaining Jidenco wagon kits, but they don't take up much space.

There are also several boxes of RTR engine and tender bodies, most of which are of dated models and probably not worth much if anything.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Craigw said:

Mention has been made of buying kits and locos on Ebay.

A while ago, there was a collection of P4 locos being sold on Ebay. One of the was a Judith Edge kit of a Clayton type 17. I confess to having little knowledge of diesels but I fell in love with it. I sat and watched it for a few days and there was no interest. I had an opening bid, but I decided to make an offer. The offer was countered by a still very reasonable offer which I accepted. 

I waited for it to arrive and it was worth the wait. Dcc fitted, it has been very well built and finished. 

Sometimes you do have luck and get something very good on Ebay.

Craig W

IMG_E4759.jpg

Very nice, thanks for posting the photo.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Seems to be a very common problem with buying second hand kits. I often wonder whether the owner has decided to put them in a safe place such as a folder or drawer. Then forgot about them or passed away.

I've got about half a dozen with missing instructions but with the kit being complete. Thankfully not kits that are difficult. 

There's a thread in the Modelling section at the moment asking for instructions for a DJH CR 812 0-6-0.

Jason

4 hours ago, PMP said:

In general terms yes, S4/P4 are even worse, it’s the same with rolling stock too.

Having seen that A3 yesterday I can confirm it’s every bit as good as Tony says it is.

I can confirm that, Paul,

At one show about three years ago, a trader was trying to sell some rather attractive kit-built wagons and vans, in EM Gauge. Despite their only being priced at about £3.00 each, they didn't move. I saw one chap pick one up and ask 'Why are they so cheap? Ah, EM Gauge, no thanks'.

Next day, I converted them to OO, and they all flew - for a much better price.

Could it be that, almost by definition, EM Gauge modellers (and, especially, P4 modellers) tend to be more self-reliant and make/modify things for themselves? So, why buy the work of others, when you can do it yourself? That said, at £3.00 each.....................

By contrast, could it be that most OO modellers are RTR-reliant, and just happy to buy stuff? RTR-reliant inasmuch as some won't buy an OO loco or item of rolling stock if the tension-lock couplings have been removed?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2