Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi Graeme,

yes that would be a reasonable approach but when you're trying to build a layout single handed to a reasonable standard, it becomes a time thing. And my resin casting components ran beyond being useable so they were disposed of. In other words their would be a substantial overhead to it. If all else fails of course that's exactly what I'll do. one thing for sure, I won't be pursuing the Shapeways solution. I can't justify paying those prices. I am looking at promising alternatives at the moment.

On another subject, you've done quite a lot of GN and GC boiler mounting castings. Did you ever do a casting for the LNER produced later utility dome as used by a majority of the O4s from about 1940 onwards?

I probably still have a mould for this sort of dome Clem. Whether it is the size it should be for an O4 is for you and others to judge:

STA76108w.jpg.d112541d89a9adb3b0be68edcf5873fc.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Is there a chance you could take a picture of the shouldered screws you use for the bogie please Tony  (and a picture to show how you mount them up please)? And also who your supplier is please? 

I hate limp bogies, on the old triang style flappy strips, I prefer to have my bogies doing the work they are supposed to do, but am always looking for ways to do it easily...

Ta

Andy G

3 hours ago, uax6 said:

Is there a chance you could take a picture of the shouldered screws you use for the bogie please Tony  (and a picture to show how you mount them up please)? And also who your supplier is please? 

I hate limp bogies, on the old triang style flappy strips, I prefer to have my bogies doing the work they are supposed to do, but am always looking for ways to do it easily...

Ta

Andy G

I'll take some shots tomorrow, Andy.

On many occasions, I make my own shouldered screws. An 8BA screw with a brass collar (cut from brass tubing) soldered beneath its head. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, gr.king said:

Isn't that a better economic approach than sending uncomfortable amounts of money to a purveyor of novelty technology in another country?

Plus there's a very fair chance of getting bounced for VAT and collection charge once it arrives in the UK, adding to the pain......

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tony,

Thank you for posting that info. More good advice. I am often surprised by locos or rolling stock that can't be disassembled for repair or servicing. As my travels in EM progress I wonder at the wisdom of push on wheels also. They defiantly look correct even more so if lightly centre pushed to represent the machining mark. I have purchased a number of kit built locos from a deceased estate and some of them have compensation failures that can't be fixed without removing the wheels which in this case are Sharman  and they will be difficult to remove and replace as the 1mm nuts holding the rods in place may or may not survive. The remaining thread is very small. I may have to change the wheels to Markits as the rest of the locos are worth saving. 

With nuts like this I would undo them with the tip of a soldering iron - just a little at a time and allow the crankpin to cool in between. In this way you can slowly unwind the nut until it falls off. Replacing it I find a sliver of brass tube works just as well and is easier to remove if you have to. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Just in for photography/review is this Heljan GWR railcar.................

846136867_HeljanGWRrailcar1940006.jpg.4d3333c2695d0164e06f8b3662c665ed.jpg

It comes with all lights working (yes, I know these appear far too bright, but it's for photographic effect). 

It's also a beautifully-smooth runner........................

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

36 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Just in for photography/review is this Heljan GWR railcar.................

846136867_HeljanGWRrailcar1940006.jpg.4d3333c2695d0164e06f8b3662c665ed.jpg

It comes with all lights working (yes, I know these appear far too bright, but it's for photographic effect). 

It's also a beautifully-smooth runner........................

Reminds me of an illuminated Blackpool tram - all it needs is an advert for the Tower Ballrooms !!

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

Reminds me of an illuminated Blackpool tram - all it needs is an advert for the Tower Ballrooms !!

John Isherwood.

Ha, Ha,

Very funny. I almost split my sides laughing! 

I did say it was for photographic effect. I'm not competent enough with the camera to illuminate both the front and rear lamps, not without overdoing the illumination inside...........

1329503466_HeljanGWRrailcar1940008.jpg.4969811d966d0ec5f307af6c85275b89.jpg

Running in 'daylight', the front and rear lamps' illumination is invisible, even though it's running flat-out. The interior lighting is just discernible. 

The magazine team will choose which one will be used (perhaps neither).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

And now to ask the vast collective knowledge on here about these two pictures................

7305.jpg.7d9fe70bfe84d652f0e0402099be8333.jpg

I'm not sure whether this is a pre- or post-War shot, but it shows a Jinty on a Broad Street-Potters Bar commuter service, travelling along the ECML. I think the location is Ganwick, before the widenings of the late-'50s. 

Any thoughts on the carriage, please?

47343.jpg.0335f956426af4e84a318f762843eb15.jpg

This is definitely in BR days, but where? My Locoshed books for the mid-/late-'50s state that 47343 was shedded at Longsight, so is this in the Manchester area? 

It looks to me more like the Midland main line in the Home Counties, but I'm only guessing. 

Any assistance, gratefully received.

Many thanks in anticipation. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

According to Eric Neve's "East Coast from King's Cross", Midland and LMS bogie coaches replaced 4 wheeled stock on those trains from 1933, and Jinties had replaced the NLR 4-4-0Ts by 1929.  The Jinties remained on the Broad Street services until they were withdrawn in 1940, and when the trains were re-introduced in 1945 they were worked by LNER locos and stock.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Coach 23288 was a MR BT to Diagram 1246. MR No 1203, so post the 1933 renumbering.

Built 1921 and lasted until 7/1960

If one didn't have Longworth, Jenkinson & Essery, or Lacy & Dow to hand, the underframe is the indicator that it's not an LMS-built carriage - it has truss rods rather than the heavier-looking angle trussing of the LMS vehicles.

Thus one can see that all four carriages in the second photo are LMS-built vehicles, though of various vintages. The second carriage is especially interesting: a lavatory first, D1761 - one of 30 built in 1927. Either this carriage is standing in for a non-lavatory composite, or it's a service with a particularly high proportion of first class passengers.

Edited by Compound2632
Edited in light of location identification in following post.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

47343.jpg.0335f956426af4e84a318f762843eb15.jpg

I'm fairly certain this is near Heaton Chapel on the LNW between Manchester and Stockport. If so it could be the Mayfield-Stockport working that in the mid-50s got a Jocko from Longsight to Stockport to work Jubilee Sidings, Heaton Norris.

Regards,

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Running in 'daylight', the front and rear lamps' illumination is invisible, even though it's running flat-out. The interior lighting is just discernible. 

Perhaps you might like to try DCC?

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

That leads to an interesting question. Did the GWR and BR(W) allow the red tail lamps to be used instead of a proper tail lamp?

Andy G

I'm fairly certain this is near Heaton Chapel on the LNW between Manchester and Stockport. If so it could be the Mayfield-Stockport working that in the mid-50s got a Jocko from Longsight to Stockport to work Jubilee Sidings, Heaton Norris.

Regards,

Simon

I'd thought that area as well, although I only know it from track level over the last 18 years, so full of overhead line masts and wiring. There's a good number of bridges along that stretch where the photo could have been taken from

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd thought that area as well, although I only know it from track level over the last 18 years, so full of overhead line masts and wiring. There's a good number of bridges along that stretch where the photo could have been taken from

Agreed. It's taken from the same bridge where the Rebuilt Patriot was photographed on this page:

https://www.friendsofheatonchapelstation.co.uk/history/

In fact looking at Scenes from the Past 61 by Eddie Johnson it's taken from the Warwick Road overbridge beyond Heaton Chapel station on the approach to Heaton Norris Junction.

You'd be hard pushed to tell this is the same view:https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4211551,-2.1754132,3a,30y,343.37h,88.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDS0fekqDLw4LhOUeVVXJRg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I wonder how long the real thing's roof would have remained quite as white in service? 

I pondered the same question in relation to the white roofs of Pullman cars - and when I looked for reference images I found almost none, excepting from the modern / preservation era; most were at the very least pale grey if not as dark as any other coaches. I concluded that they must have got fairly dirty very quickly and I can't see why these railcars would have been much diffferent.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1