Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

15 hours ago, Atso said:

Hello Tony,

It has been a while since I posted here (or anywhere) as work has been hectic. However, I've still been slowly building away and offer the following humble N gauge efforts.

20210801_172852-1.jpg.f9074c51393a6a08f7f1fbea02cf5b57.jpg

A D.114 Brake Third. Ultima Models etched sides glued to a butchered Minitrix Brake Composite.

20210801_172921-1.jpg.c5ec37c4b57b4b0fb98d61ae400dc84c.jpg

A D.113 Full Brake from the same sources. This one will be no. 4040, one of the cinema cars.

20210801_172740-1.jpg.0f506a0f2770218f3877061223c2ff56.jpg

A D.40 Brake Third.

20210801_172701-1.jpg.87a634bf8f3a7910f522d4ca847da532.jpg

D.144 Restaurant First (although this will run representing a D.10C). I need to design some etches for a Pantry Third to go along with this one.

D34.jpg.dc2540fa34cc92444b6b742293059409.jpg

Finally, a D.34 Brake Composite. This one was cut 'n' shut from two damaged Minitrix D.143 Brake Composite bodies.

I'll get all the coaches painted before lining them out. Then I'll have to do something about the roof ventilator positions and extra battery boxes (where required).

Lovely work Steve,

Great to have you back.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Martin,

Frames for a 2P, I assume?

You use the Poppyswood 'jig' in a different manner from me. I set the frames up between the plastic sleeves.

Regards,

Tony. 

Was not sure how to use them but I wanted to get is square, I do need to dismantle another chassis I started a few years ago to square it. (A preserved 4MT 260). I had already but the frame spacers on one frame.

It is for my MR 2P the tender is 95% LRM but with a few mods from a photo, mainly soldered but a little epoxying where neccessary (tool boxes and water filler).

The loco body is from a non running Hornby branded Airfix 2P.

I do need to get some detailing bits as the loco needs to go RHD and I would like a premade tender brake column.

As I am modelling 1980s Western Region and a 1960s Cornish branch it makes no sense at all, but it can pull a couple of old BR ex LMS carriages I have. The one I have chosen is a Gloucester Barnwood loco. But then the out of period DMU I am building also ran through Gloucester on its way to South Wales at a similar time.

I will order some High Level bits to power it once I have recovered from my Low Rider purchases.

And I need to stop wanting the bits for a Barnwood Compound as well!

But steam wise a priority is my Bachmann 4MT (75069) as the wheels have dished out, do I repair, or replace? I need this for my 1980s layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/07/2021 at 12:18, t-b-g said:

Seeing Richard's locos inspired me to open my ancient Millholme Class 8 (Fish engine) kit.

Worth the effort I'm sure tbg, and I can recommend Michael Edge's tender etches. Good luck with the build.

Tony,

Can I ask a small favour? I have secondhand (very) Pro-scale V2 and A4 kits to build. Unlike the similar A3 kit that I purchased from you (CRUK) it does not have any instructions. Can anyone supply a scanned copy of either or both instructions?

Many thanks,

Richard B

4 hours ago, 30368 said:

Worth the effort I'm sure tbg, and I can recommend Michael Edge's tender etches. Good luck with the build.

Tony,

Can I ask a small favour? I have secondhand (very) Pro-scale V2 and A4 kits to build. Unlike the similar A3 kit that I purchased from you (CRUK) it does not have any instructions. Can anyone supply a scanned copy of either or both instructions?

Many thanks,

Richard B

Good evening Richard,

I don't have instructions for a Pro-Scale V2, but I do have those for the A4.

I'll photocopy them for you. Please PM me with your address again (I've filed all the recent stuff away). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

Very nice models indeed.

The L&Y is an oft forgotten railway. The Highflyers ran through and around Wigan on the Pemberton loop line with non stop Liverpool - Manchester expresses in competition with the CLC & LNWR routes back at the turn of the 20th century

The loop line I saw from Mum & Dads bedroom window - alas just a goods line back in the 60's).

Highflers on Walkden station & water troughs on the 4 track Hindley to Manchester line - there is talk of converting this line to a tram line !! - How have the mighty fallen !!

image.png.1e3d08219968e306ebe80edf9b965d75.png

image.png.1405ea1857d8bcbaceb959db6ca214f9.png

In 1884 Hoy moved to the L&YR, becoming an outdoor assistant in the locomotive department under Barton Wright in Manchester; he was promoted to works manager a year later. In 1886 Hoy was made works manager at the L&YR's new works at Horwich. Hoy died in 1910

Nigel Gresley began his engineering apprenticeship in 1893 under Francis Webb at the Crewe locomotive works, London and North Western Railway. Subsequently he was a pupil of John Aspinall of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway at Horwich, near Bolton; he then became an assistant manager at their carriage workshops at Newton Heath, Manchester, in 1901, and works manager in the following year. In 1904 Gresley was appointed assistant carriage and wagon superintendent of the L&YR, and, in 1905, he transferred to the Great Northern Railway in Doncaster as carriage and wagon superintendent. 

I wonder what (if any) influence his time at Horwich had on Mr Gresley ?

Brit15

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

1207515914_Scratch-builtHoyLY2-4-2T.jpg.6eb4218f130853609f0c5f3ab44ea58d.jpg

I'd neither seen nor heard of this loco, a Hoy 2-6-2T (I'd never heard of Hoy). Scratch-built, of course; no kit available for the likes of this. Could this be considered one of the worst-looking locos of all time? Apparently, they weren't brilliant in service, and the LMS scrapped them not long after it was formed. 

1654697872_Scratch-builtHughesLY0-8-4T.jpg.cfd86e7b92adeb3639545233048136fb.jpg

Another scratch-build in the form of this ex-L&Y 0-8-4T.

With the 0-8-2T, it's almost as if they were challenged to beat their own record for ugliness (and may have won). 

There is an engineering adage that if it looks right, it is right.  The experience of the L&YR shows clearly that the opposite also applies.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Friend Bob Wood popped over today.

Bringing with him a most-interesting selection of locos he's built..........................

1899378665_KsC1.jpg.0b3ae32d9003ac4ba9dc06df6bdb6a84.jpg

A K's C1,

Tony I think the C1 is the WSM kit not Ks. The coal rails on the tender were the initial give away until I looked more closely. They look the same as those on the tender of my WSM J6. For which I've recently started to build a new tender using the upper body - well sides and back minus coal rails from a Ks C1. I'm using a Mainly Trains tender chassis and outer resin frames from Graeme King. It will need a scratchbuilt front and forward part of the top plus coal rails.

I'll show pictures in due course.

Agree with comment above the 2-4-2T is Cotswold/ Sutherland - I have the later NuCast version.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Added comment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 30368 said:

Tony,

Many thanks,

Richard B

Please PM me your email. I have a set of instructions in the box of an unbuilt Proscale V2 I can scan.

Andrew

12 minutes ago, jrg1 said:

Could we have a description of the work involved, please?

Sorry - someone must have lost the instructions so we're just figuring it out as we go along. There'll probably be a few spare washers and an odd handrail knob left over when it's finished.

(apologies in advance if you were after a sensible answer)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

31 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Sorry - someone must have lost the instructions so we're just figuring it out as we go along. There'll probably be a few spare washers and an odd handrail knob left over when it's finished.

Sounds like Tony's approach to kit building. Mine's not far off either these days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

What glues are you using?

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, jrg1 said:

What glues are you using?

I don't know for sure, but I think it may be some type of 'weld' bond (J-B Weld perhaps?). Anyway, I'm sitting 'bolt' upright and absolutely 'riveted' to that 12inch to the foot scale build! :jester:

Graham, did that particular P2 kit come with wheels and a motor?

Edited by Atso
  • Funny 3

9 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony I think the C1 is the WSM kit not Ks. The coal rails on the tender were the initial give away until I looked more closely. They look the same as those on the tender of my WSM J6. For which I've recently started to build a new tender using the upper body - well sides and back minus coal rails from a Ks C1. I'm using a Mainly Trains tender chassis and outer resin frames from Graeme King. It will need a scratchbuilt front and forward part of the top plus coal rails.

I'll show pictures in due course.

Agree with comment above the 2-4-2T is Cotswold/ Sutherland - I have the later NuCast version.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

I was going on Bob's description. It certainly has that 'quality' look of a WSM kit. He's a better man than I if it is. I gave up on the WSM C1 I tried to build decades ago, building a K's one instead. Like Bob, I had to fit smaller-than-scale bogie wheels (with the right number of spokes, however) to get clearance behind the cylinders (something I didn't need to do with a DJH example). 

I have a complete WSM N1 kit (and some parts for another). I offered it to Bob yesterday, but he declined. Anyone interested in it, please PM me. £25.00 will secure it; all proceeds to CRUK. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, queensquare said:

My soft spot for pre-group eight coupled locos is well known. I got a lot of stick at the club whilst building this L&Y 0-8-0 but I rather like them - though even I have to admit they are pig ugly!

Jerry

1555263763_20200629_161249(2).jpg.5907ef0b7c32b573515491b414c8c5da.jpg

The L&Y had a few contenders for the ugly prize when it came to loco design but my winner is the large boiler 0-8-0 as you have there. Malcolm Crawley built one for Tickhill and Wadworth and we ran it with a GCR example (best known as a Q4) and an NER type (later a Q5). The L&Y one was the worst looking by a mile. It had no redeeming features whatsoever.

I do have a kit for one in 3mm scale stashed away, just in case I finish all my other projects and still have some eyesight and skill in the tank.

• Like 1