Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think you could charge a significantly greater premium for your time (for either CRUK or yourself) given the obvious increase in value that you achieve.

Hi Tony,

I had the very same thought earlier - 20% would still be very reasonable considering the time and effort you put into testing, repairing, listing, packing & posting. Still a much better deal than selling for seven quid a loco....!!

Kind Regards,

Brian

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

More sales.

Without even putting them on the thread, an A2/1, A2/3 and V2 have also been sold. And, another A5 and the C12!

Anyone interested in these J6s at £140.00 each? 

J6s.jpg.7e4f2f82fc70881c43e483b597727d9e.jpg

The top one is etched brass (London Road?), powered by an open-framed motor, and the lower one is Nu-Cast, powered by a Portescap.............

Well, I missed the J6’s Tony.

If any still are available, I am certainly interested.

Why do I feel as if I should have a second hand Cortina to show for my visits!?

Best Regards 

Lee

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, James Fitzjames said:

I've always added a donation to CRUK to anything I've bought from Tony - surely that can be left to individual discretion?

Thanks James,

Like you, many buyers add more than the 10%. So much so, that well over £2,000.00 has gone to CRUK from the recent sales of these kits. 

Kind regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, lee74clarke said:

Well, I missed the J6’s Tony.

If any still are available, I am certainly interested.

Why do I feel as if I should have a second hand Cortina to show for my visits!?

Best Regards 

Lee

And I've just offered you a further A1!

Yes, the J6s sold immediately!. One guy emailed me saying he was interested (in both) - one for him and one for a mate. He'd let me know. Too late!

I think I've got the chronology correct now, what with PMs and emails. I note the various times, and it's first come, first served. No doubt, some will be disappointed, but there's only one loco I posted a picture of today that hasn't sold so far - the A6. I've either got the prices dead right, or they're too cheap (the former, I think). 

Best regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

I’m glad you’ve relented and are continuing to do a limited number of sales. You proved the doommongers (including me) wrong last time with the prices you achieved and it just shows that TLC from a respected name can achieve a good premium on these kits (compared with eBay or other auctions if not to the original price). I think you could charge a significantly greater premium for your time (for either CRUK or yourself) given the obvious increase in value that you achieve.

Concentrating on the best kits in the collection also seems like the best way to maximise value without getting overloaded. 

I’m resisting this batch so far but if you have the A1/1 lurking then I will be straight in!

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Your words are greatly appreciated.

One personal benefit from what Mo and I are doing is that I'm able to expand my photographic library considerably. Though I have images of the likes of A5s and C12s, the more the merrier - and it's the first picture of a Nu-Cast Sentinel I've taken. 

It's also nice to know that I'm not so much 'out of touch' regarding pricing as one commentator suggested. 

What I find staggering is that I've already achieved a fair bit more than what the big firm(s) offered for the whole lot as a job lot (and I've only sold ten locos!). Only 50 or so to go now (I took over 60). 

Kind regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

And I've just offered you a further A1!

Yes, the J6s sold immediately!. One guy emailed me saying he was interested (in both) - one for him and one for a mate. He'd let me know. Too late!

I think I've got the chronology correct now, what with PMs and emails. I note the various times, and it's first come, first served. No doubt, some will be disappointed, but there's only one loco I posted a picture of today that hasn't sold so far - the A6. I've either got the prices dead right, or they're too cheap (the former, I think). 

Best regards,

Tony. 

Good Morning Tony

No problem on the J6's, more than happy with yesterday's acquisitions.  I will arrange payment presently, including for the A1. If ever a J6 or a K2 appear, please bear me in mind

My Regards,

Lee

• Thanks 1

Just to keep up to date regarding the kit sales.

There are a few more to sort out and check. Which means I'll need to attend to those. 

I'll be busy over the next few days doing other things - writing/subbing/proof-reading/photographing products - which means I'll not be showing any more from the collection until next week. They'll include DJH A2s, some J15s, L1s, a 76XXX, two 78XXXs, several WDs, a J19, two K3s and a few others. It's pointless expressing an interest in any of these until they've all been checked and I can put a price on them. Then, it'll be first come, first served (which seems to be working so far, and thanks to everyone for understanding this). 

To conclude: I was rather disingenuous by implying that over £2,000.000 had been sent to CRUK as a percentage of kit sales. The figure also includes monies raised from donated models and also general donations from visitors (at last, again!) viewing Little Bytham. My thanks to all for their generosity. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Tony its a good thing you sold that A5 the other day as Hornby Mag has just announced that Sonic Models (a relative newcomer in railway modelling I believe) are to produce a 4mm model of the A5 and in theory it'll be out around the end of the year.

Andrew  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good afternoon Tony, 

I am wondering if the L1 you breifly mention in your general list of locomotives that will be coming up for sale at some point might be the Maunsell 4-4-0 type please? 

I don't mean to pester you as i know you're busy! Thank you, 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony its a good thing you sold that A5 the other day as Hornby Mag has just announced that Sonic Models (a relative newcomer in railway modelling I believe) are to produce a 4mm model of the A5 and in theory it'll be out around the end of the year.

Andrew  

Tony must be psychic… or else he has inside information???  The RRP is exactly the same as he was asking!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Woodcock29 said:

Andrew  

Good afternoon Andrew,

I've known about the Sonic A5 for over two years now, and have assisted in its development - lending models and discussing drawings/documents, etc. It'll be a fine model I'm sure.

As usual, a forthcoming RTR equivalent of a kit usually means the death knell for the latter (especially when it comes to price-parity). That said, there's something rather special (at least to me) about a well-built, well-painted, all metal loco which runs really well......................

Anyway, I've just sold another A5 for £25.00 less than asked for the forthcoming RTR one. I didn't build the body, but I built the chassis and painted the whole thing. What's that worth? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Jeepy said:

Good afternoon Tony, 

I am wondering if the L1 you breifly mention in your general list of locomotives that will be coming up for sale at some point might be the Maunsell 4-4-0 type please? 

I don't mean to pester you as i know you're busy! Thank you, 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

Sorry Jim,

It's a Thompson 2-6-4T.

All the collection is ex-LNER, ex-LMS or BR Standards.

Regards,

Tony. 

One thing I should point out with regard to the sale of the kit-built stock, is that a few have already been sold to visitors and friends over the last four days - before I even listed them or took their pictures! It's a trend likely to continue...............

At the risk of disappointing anyone, it's very convenient for me, especially as it saves postage. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Sorry Jim,

It's a Thompson 2-6-4T.

All the collection is ex-LNER, ex-LMS or BR Standards.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony, 

That's ok, never mind, thank you anyway! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

35 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Andrew,

I've known about the Sonic A5 for over two years now, and have assisted in its development - lending models and discussing drawings/documents, etc. It'll be a fine model I'm sure.

As usual, a forthcoming RTR equivalent of a kit usually means the death knell for the latter (especially when it comes to price-parity). That said, there's something rather special (at least to me) about a well-built, well-painted, all metal loco which runs really well......................

Anyway, I've just sold another A5 for £25.00 less than asked for the forthcoming RTR one. I didn't build the body, but I built the chassis and painted the whole thing. What's that worth? 

Regards,

Tony. 

I should have guessed you had been involved Tony. I had a look at the pilot models running on the Hornby Mag Youtube video. Generally they look very good. But I wasn't overly impressed with chimney. I hope they can get that right as its part of the face of a loco.

Andrew.

51 minutes ago, 313201 said:

Hi Tony & Fellow Modellers

I  put a message on here a little while ago asking about how easy it is to assemble kit build valve gear as I have never done valve gear except for my O gauge scotsman loco renumbered as a different loco.

As my main models are 4mm OO gauge I have looked at replacements for locos that either do not have any valve gear, cylinders and connecting rods ( to couple the 3, 4 or 5 driving axles together ) or whether to just purchase a full kit of each loco ( when money allows ), I have seen the locos put up recently and thought of how much I would like to add to my loco fleet but my funds are always just low enough to put me out of the running to buy at least 1.

Anyway onto my my point and question for this post before I bore everyone.

I once put a picture or at the very least a description of a garratt loco I built as a fictional locomotive as nothing of the sort was ever built in real life and probably would have been a very powerful beast ( perhaps more powerful than the LNER U1 2-8-0 & 0-8-2 garratt.

My loco consists of 2 x Hornby 9F loco drive chassis with a gresley A1/3 body ( can't remember if right or left hand drive, will have to look when I can ) mounted between the 2 chassis which are wired together to ensure 20 wheel drive/pickup and features kadee couplers at each end as most of my passenger and freight stock is kadee fitted, those not so fitted are in between 2 coaches or wagons fitted with 1 of each kadee 1 end and tension lock at the other, kind of like a barrier wagon/coach.

Anyway onto my question.

Recently when running the garratt, I am noticing that the main connecting rods on both sides of both chassis are badly worn where the screws fix them to the driving wheels and I am wondering if there is a suitable kit type connecting rod that can be fitted as a direct replacement for the Hornby rods and will last a long long time before needing replacement.

Any information/help you all have will be very helpful and welcome and thankyou all in advance.

Alan Gibson sells a set of etched coupling rods for a 9f. hope that helps

I suppose one 'perk' of finding new homes for models on behalf of bereaved families is that I have, if I wish, first refusal. 

A good question might be 'Why buy models built by others when you can just as easily make them yourself?'. A good question, indeed.

Take this loco, for instance. I'm still deciding what to do with it. It's from the most-recent collection.

1398706441_D1601.jpg.72bcffcda8969ba8858a7b078e583d2c.jpg

1164567940_D1602.jpg.03970ca1d0301d6a35ae635d0fab26f8.jpg

It's built from a Little Engines kit (builder unknown). Though Portescap-fitted, it didn't run very well - noisy and jerky. A few hours' worth of tweaking/adjusting/altering the polarity/swearing and it now runs very well, though still with the characteristic whine. The bogie arrangement was useless, baulking at even 3' 6" radius curves. I've now fixed that, and it'll go round the (tight) M&GNR bit of Little Bytham. 

So, what to do with it? At the last Peterborough Show in 2019, Hornby D16s were on sale for around £70.00/£80.00 (what they might be now, I don't know). This is way-inferior to the RTR version, so what's it worth? If I factored in my time to fix it at my 'professional rates', it would be over £300.00! No chance. What many might do is to buy it at around £50.00 for the Portescap and 'dispose' of the rest.  

I'm inclined to take pity on it................

597466988_Ivatt4MT2-6-0.jpg.d7593a96dc40dbc70de853494c9adc1d.jpg

This one is much better. It, too, has a Portescap (a silent one!). It's built from a Millholme kit (builder unknown). It only needed a few tweaks to get it to run really well. I've added the front steps and changed the pony wheels to the correct nine-spoke LMS pattern (though I've not yet fitted the frame-mounted guard irons, which it should have for the period it represents - early-'50s). I've also glazed it, fitted headlamps (LMS black ones) and weathered the motion. Building another Ivatt 4MT is a very long way down on my list of locos to make (though I do have a kit). 

So, I might well hang on to this. We'll see (I'll pay for it, of course). 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 12

RRP on the Hornby d16 is now £154 and some pennies. Though it can be got significantly cheaper at retailers...

I got mine at £65. Though that was a little while back

I'm not sure if this information helps or not. 

David

Edited by davidw
Add something
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, davidw said:

RRP on the Hornby d16 is now £154 and some pennies. Though it can be got significantly cheaper at retailers...

I got mine at £65. Though that was a little while back

I'm not sure if this information helps or not. 

David

Thanks David,

Perhaps that kit-built D16 isn't so bad (price-wise) in comparison?

Regards,

Tony. 

I have a Little Engines D16 and apart from the small cab windows I think it stands up well beside other kits and the Hornby one.   Should I ever build another, I'd try surgery on those windows, but not much else.

Swearing at them does any model a power of good, I find.   I hope Danny Pinnock's ears weren't burning too badly on Sunday.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks David,

Perhaps that kit-built D16 isn't so bad (price-wise) in comparison?

Regards,

Tony. 

The Little Engines D16 my Dad bought off a stall at least ten years ago (part-built and unpainted), I think cost him £20.  It's still in the Round Tuit pile...........

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

The Little Engines D16 my Dad bought off a stall at least ten years ago (part-built and unpainted), I think cost him £20.

I can beat that - mine was free in a box with a Mallard kit (also a D16).  It had been built and dismantled.  I rebuilt it and we ran it on Thurston for several years.

The Mallard kit is still unbuilt.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

So, what to do with it? At the last Peterborough Show in 2019, Hornby D16s were on sale for around £70.00/£80.00 (what they might be now, I don't know). This is way-inferior to the RTR version, so what's it worth? If I factored in my time to fix it at my 'professional rates', it would be over £300.00! No chance. What many might do is to buy it at around £50.00 for the Portescap and 'dispose' of the rest.  

I'm inclined to take pity on it................

Hi Tony,

Certainly from a distance it looks too nicely made (is it?) to cannibalise for a motor.

• Agree 1