Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

33 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I've recently been stripping old model aircraft and some carriages with ModelStrip and have nothing but praise for it.  Smear it on and leave for up to ten hours then remove under warm water with an old toothbrush.  I've had it all over my fingers without any skin reaction (although I do wash it off carefully) and it does not attack any plastics that I've found.

Usual disclaimer etc., I'm just a satisfied customer.

A google search for that name produces some very interesting results.:D

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

A couple more locos for sale......................

Seen before, but not by itself, I'm asking £200.00 for this Portescap-powered DJH A2.............

1954806386_A260528.jpg.49024f42c57cabd641dd3b535bafb77b.jpg

It's well-built, runs really sweetly and is competently-painted. 

A DJH 76XXX..........

76XXX.jpg.cb5ab796267fe4806787cc0b37fcbcb8.jpg

Again, another sweet-running Portescap-powered DJH loco.

Someone expressed an interest in this, but baulked at my asking price of £200.00. That being the case, I might have over-estimated, so I'm offering it for £175.00.

Anyone interested, please PM me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I've recently been stripping old model aircraft and some carriages with ModelStrip and have nothing but praise for it.  Smear it on and leave for up to ten hours then remove under warm water with an old toothbrush.  I've had it all over my fingers without any skin reaction (although I do wash it off carefully) and it does not attack any plastics that I've found.

Usual disclaimer etc., I'm just a satisfied customer.

I think the recipe for that changed as well. I was looking for some to strip some old Ratio coaches.

One of the ingredients was banned ISTR. For general sale, you might be able to get it if you are a professional stripper (not that sort of stripper!).

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

And, another couple more.

I'm surprised there hasn't been the slightest interest in this............

A6.jpg.af90940aeb334f124e16555c4221cea7.jpg

Originally seen in company with an A5 (which went immediately), I'm asking £200.00 for this Portescap-powered, sweet-running Little Engines A6.

It's very well-finished and certainly isn't available RTR (nor ever will be?). 

J19.jpg.04d5bc38816fe8d2aade0011ef88eb9d.jpg

Another loco not available RTR is this Crownline/PDK J19. Another good-runner, I'm asking £180.00 for this.

As usual, please PM me if interested. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think the recipe for that changed as well. I was looking for some to strip some old Ratio coaches.

One of the ingredients was banned ISTR. For general sale, you might be able to get it if you are a professional stripper (not that sort of stripper!).

Jason

I've had good results lately with the Deluxe Materials product. It's easy to apply with just a cotton bud and softens the paint in 5 - 15 minutes. Whether it would also soften glue, I don't know.

https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/strip-magic

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 13/08/2021 at 16:51, Mike 84C said:

Bought this recently, its a "loft find" how long it was there for could be a quiz question, which leads onto mine. It needs a repaint very badly and its glued together, recommendations on paint removal please? 

Have you got an ultrasonic bath?  As of late I've found that if you make up a solution of warm tap water and 10% Allendale concentrated general ultrasonic cleaning fluid (it's possible that other makes may work as well) and dunk the model in it for about 30+ minutes, it'll remove almost all the enamel paint - any stubborn bits can then be dealt with using a toothbrush.  I've used this on plastic coaches and metal locos. 

DT

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I've had good results lately with the Deluxe Materials product. It's easy to apply with just a cotton bud and softens the paint in 5 - 15 minutes. Whether it would also soften glue, I don't know.

https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/strip-magic

Good afternoon Al,

I've not used the Deluxe product, but the old-fashioned Nitromores is devastating to all glues, even Araldite. 

I just pop it into an old biscuit tin (must be metal, of course) and immerse the model in it. The paint comes off in seconds, and, overnight, one has a kit again! Anything made of plastic, just disappears as well. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm pleased to report that the J19 has now sold.....................

Phew! I was trying to work out how I was going to afford it so glad somebody else has saved me the trouble.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On metal locos I use a baking tin full of cellulose thinners ( I already have 5 litre cans as I use it for spraying) but preferably outside. An old toothbrush and it works fine. Buying the thinners from car paint shops in 5 litre tins means it’s very cheap. 
makes a mess of plastic though!

David

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks to all (so far) for letting me know of the safe arrival of their locos, and their being delighted with them.

Happy to report that the A6 has sold (it'll go around 2' radius curves with ease!).

I'm now sorting out some more locos to photograph and put on here.

So far, no takers for the A2 or 76XXX. 

A couple of BR Standards................

1852418860_73XXX73160.jpg.4f36de9de94fc563fbd8d45fa92c3884.jpg

Built from a DJH kit, this is weird. It's driven by a Hornby tender-drive unit, with the loco chassis just free-wheeling. It runs remarkably well. 

I'm asking £100.00 for this.

78XXX.jpg.66ea67707fbb03c87238eede17db0f6e.jpg

Another DJH kit. IT's powered by a K's HP2M motor/gear combination, and, considering that's what's in it I'm amazed by how well it runs. 'Well' needs qualification, of course, especially with regard to an HP2M, but this is OK (not in the Portescap class, of course). 

I'm asking £100.00 for this. What's a forthcoming Hornby RTR example going to cost? 

Both are nicely-painted and well-built.

Please PM me if interested.

• Like 4

And another 78XXX..........

2059607693_78XXXPortescap.jpg.a6a590bc95d238c1effc8d23e385bc08.jpg

This is also built from a DJH kit, but this one's Portescap-powered and runs superbly. However, in reverse to convention.

I've not found a way to reverse the polarity (it has the wretched - in my view - American pick-up arrangement and I can't get inside the body to switch the leads). What I should say is that I don't have the time to figure out how to get inside this, but others might well have.

This, too (because of the reversed polarity) is £100.00. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

And another 78XXX..........

2059607693_78XXXPortescap.jpg.a6a590bc95d238c1effc8d23e385bc08.jpg

This is also built from a DJH kit, but this one's Portescap-powered and runs superbly. However, in reverse to convention.

I've not found a way to reverse the polarity (it has the wretched - in my view - American pick-up arrangement and I can't get inside the body to switch the leads). What I should say is that I don't have the time to figure out how to get inside this, but others might well have.

This, too (because of the reversed polarity) is £100.00. 

Hi Tony,

You have a pm.....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DougN said:

I would suggest it is because you have serviced and reviewed the models, then taken a good photo of them. So the good prices are really due to your effort to achieve the best for all round!

I am amazed at your perseverance doing all this Tony. I hope that the families and purchaserers all appreciate your efforts for every one, not least CRUK. 

Doug   

That's very kind of you Doug,

I can tell you, everyone involved does appreciate my efforts; I've had many wonderful 'thank yous'. 

And, it's not entirely altruistic on my part. Some of the locos lean a bit towards the 'impossible to sell as seen' category. By that, I mean I'd get next to nothing for them; not without spending hours and hours getting them to run properly or, in some cases, a complete repaint. Now, I don't have the time to do that, unless I'd like such a loco myself. So, I pay the widow/bereaved family what I think a loco might be worth at source (the D16/3, recently seen, which needed hours making it go properly, for instance), and then put the time in so it then becomes part of Bytham's stud. Or, in the case of a C12 from the collection (which needed much running-work and a lot of cosmetic treatment), again I'll pay what I think is fair (as supplied), work on it and it'll become Ian Wilson's next birthday present. 

I'm quite happy spending time getting the other locos to run 'properly', where what's required is just a pick-up adjustment, clean, oil and general service; that doesn't take too long. Or, in the case of a forthcoming DJH Austerity 2-10-0, which runs abominably-badly, which is of no possible use to me, I'll sell it (as seen) for very little. 

Whichever 'path' I choose (and I set the prices), a considerable amount more is raised than offered by the 'big' dealers (which have staff to pay and premises to run, to be fair) or, it would seem, by selling on eBay. 

Actually, the whole thing is really quite interesting. I get to see (intimately) models built by others, at times of types I'm not familiar with (or have not built examples of myself) and I'm able to photograph them for future use - indeed, I'm currently preparing articles where many of the shots will be used. Such pictures are also sent to manufacturers to be used in their advertising. 

As I say, it's not all altruism..............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

It's been interesting to follow your (mainly) altruistic efforts to find good homes for locos whose owners are no longer around to enjoy them, to the benefit of those left behind and CRUK.

A pal and I are doing something similar on a smaller scale for a mutual friend recently departed and I think once will be enough for us! It might be a bit easier if we hadn't been friends with their source.....

Latest discovery is a nicely built DJH (we think) Britannia with a gummed up Portescap but no tender - hopefully that will be in another box we have yet to open.....

John

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

G'Day Folks

I could do with a little help, I need some chassis spacers, ( as seen below), are they still available, if so where ! Living in Oz can have it's drawbacks. I haven't seen any for sale for many years, and those that I do have, I've had for 50 years. Thanks in advance to everyone who can point me in the right direction.

Terry. (aka manna)

DSCF5813.jpg

1 minute ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I could do with a little help, I need some chassis spacers, ( as seen below), are they still available, if so where ! Living in Oz can have it's drawbacks. I haven't seen any for sale for many years, and those that I do have, I've had for 50 years. Thanks in advance to everyone who can point me in the right direction.

Terry. (aka manna)

DSCF5813.jpg

I have several, Terry.

Just PM me your address, please.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony & everyone

While hunting through a file, I stumbled across a set of Instructions for an Alan Gibson Midland /LMS Class 4F.

No idea why I have them but if they are of value to anyone, I'm happy to copy them across. Six pages inc diagrams. 

Brian