Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

What if you're instinctively a very careful person who hasn't had all the "accidents" listed, but has actually built and exhibited a layout?

Then how do you learn and improve?

Having speared my foot with a garden fork and almost severed my right thumb by the age of seven I suppose I had a good start in life.

(Mis) Adventures with soldering irons and chemicals was a natural progression.:D

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, polybear said:

Having had a significant "scare" some months ago (fortunately I managed to body-swerve that one) I'm actively down-sizing things that I realise I'm (a) unlikely to ever need, and (b) give me no great interest to own (e.g. inherited family china).  Whilst I hope I'm a long way off a fitted box such things can appear at the most awkward moments without prior arrangement, so I've decided that, as there's no-one else likely to carry out the task then I'd much rather find (hopefully) caring new homes for such items than a complete stranger take the easy way out and skip the lot. :cry:

Besides, "Sir" keeps tempting Bear with pictures of desirable items, so space is required.... :laugh:

The very last conversation I had with the late George Norton was at the York show a few days before he died. He told me that he had done some maths looking at all the projects he wanted to do and all the unbuilt kits that he had stashed away and compared that to the number of projects he had completed and he had worked out that he would have to live to be at least 130 years old to complete them all.

A few days later he was gone.

One or two of my friends have talked about getting their stuff "in order" and either getting rid of surplus items now, or at least making sure that full instructions as to what things are and what ought to happen to them are put in easily found places but I don't think that anybody has actually done anything about it yet. The general feeling seems to be that there is a decent bunch of mates around who will be able to deal with it all but one day, that will indeed be down to the last man standing.

I have certainly slowed down in my purchases of new kits etc. and something has to be really desirable for me to add it to the pile of jobs to be tackled and I have little interest in buying in locos built by others or from the RTR folk. My hobby has always been about making things for myself and that will continue as long as I have the skill to do such work.

I genuinely don't care what happens to my stuff after I am gone. I have no illusions that it has any value other than the pleasure that it has given to me. The only exception to that "not caring" would be Buckingham but that is covered by a written agreement as to to its future.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

It is so good to see the numerous posts in response to my List of Twenty modelling experiences. It was only ever meant as a bit of fun and if you want to claim half a point for any of them then that's fine by me. I am however wondering if I am the only one who has done all 20 !!!

Archie

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Don't let the Civil Engineer know.

Stratford had a recently overhauled J19 ready to go back into service, so they sent it down the branch to Bradwell on a special cattle train.

One of the latest batch of models that Tony offered for sale has found a new home.

The long wheelbase does not appreciate my poor track laying over one baseboard joint, but other than that it is a superb runner. I just need to tone down the coupling rods and fit lamps and crew.

Bernard

DSC_0465.JPG.c20f47cb0f73a2b4bd63c183a5cd5d2b.JPGDSC_0463.JPG.f8ff603291e8cee6f20a5986d682699e.JPG

Thanks for showing us Bernard,

I'm delighted it arrived safely and I'm also delighted you're delighted with it.

Best regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Manxcat said:

Are you an experienced railway modeller? If you think you are then, just for a bit of fun, how many of the following can you say you have done or relate to you? 

1. Burnt yourself with a soldering iron.

2. Cut yourself with a bladed scalpel you were using as a modelling knife.

3. Stuck your fingers together with superglue.

4. Left a fingerprint in a plastic model because liquid solvent got onto your fingers.

5. Knocked over an open bottle of solvent which then covered more than 10% of your working surface.

6, Taken a loco to Tony Wright's loco clinic at a show for him to service or repair,

7. Been to three or more "How To" talks at a model railway show. 

8. Been to a model railway show at the Central Halls Westminster.

9. Have at least 20 railway related books which you have not read nor browsed through for over a decade.

10. Hand built a point in any gauge.

11. Modelled a building from scratch.

12. Constructed a complete loco from a kit.

13 Been given a piece of rolling stock as a birthday or Christmas present  in exactly the period, gauge and livery you wanted.

14. Built a working semaphore signal from a kit.

15. Used an electric static grass applicator.

16. Painted a model loco crew.

17. Spray painted your hand instead of your model.

18. Built a complete layout yourself.

19. Exhibited it at a model railway show.

20. Written an article published in a model railway magazine.

If you have done all 20 then you are clearly an experienced, and probably gifted, railway modeller. (Well IMHO anyway.)

Archie

All except 6 & 7. Though I've recently bought 3 locos from Tony's 'estate sales' so half a point there perhaps?

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for showing us Bernard,

I'm delighted it arrived safely and I'm also delighted you're delighted with it.

Best regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony.

I might not have a big train set to run it in like you have, but it certainly will not sit in a glass fronted display case.

Found a Fox shed plate and a Lanarkshire lamp so will tart it up tomorrow.

Bernard

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's my perception that the greatest number of (surviving) modellers right now are either very close to or have passed their Biblical allocation of years. I'm definitely one of the latter.

I'm just into what my railway enthusiast / clergyman father referred to as my 4th orbit as a member of the Official Coffin Dodgers Link. I'm hoping to emulate his 20 years of membership. He got me into model trains with Hornby O gauge clockwork and Dublo 3-rail about 70 years ago. The latter I still have and occasionally get out to run.  I don't know what will happen to my trains, our children aren't interested but I  have some hopes of the younger grandson who has been operating on my layout since the age of four. Whatever happens my collection is catalogued with a notional ebay price to assist with my periodic surplus disposals and pictures of most items exist so hopefully there will be an orderly exit.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, t-b-g said:

The very last conversation I had with the late George Norton was at the York show a few days before he died. He told me that he had done some maths looking at all the projects he wanted to do and all the unbuilt kits that he had stashed away and compared that to the number of projects he had completed and he had worked out that he would have to live to be at least 130 years old to complete them all.

I have heard to never work out how much you have spent or how many kits and bits you have to build... 

I am looking after a mates estate and I am  positive he never thought he was ever going to pass away (he was 83 when he passed)  He had 12m3 of timber in his garage.... he had a few layouts left to go in the planning!  On a serious note the volume of models has to be constrained at times. My mate, due to his interest, had multiple of the same loco from the main manufacturers. I am now looking to sell the collection off but the shear volume has shocked his friends and I. There are items that have never been out of the box... others have been run into the ground. So far just from the layout being  boxed up is about 60% of the rolling stock has taken 28hours! 

It is highlighting that we can appreciate a good model and use them gaining enjoyment. Some have an off switch to buying more and others don't.   Personally for me I am only buying a small number of items and kits I will enjoy in the next 10 years or so. Limiting the purchasing of kits to only those that can be used in that time.  RTR I am only buying specific items but even then my interest is becoming more and more narrow. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

I think I've finally found my own "off switch" or at least a rheostat I can turn down! 

Since 2000, my primary BR (s) interests have been generously catered-for (mainly r-t-r by Hornby, but also in kit form), including some items that inhabited the realms of pure fantasy when I began in this hobby.

Relatively few gaps remain in my personal wish-list; which is just as well, because there is also very little space left in my railway room cupboard! I'm also preparing to thin out the multiples, rather than leaving them for others to wonder at!

I too am still buying but, like you, with much greater focus.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Friendly/supportive 4

As an oldie of the same 1946 vintage as Tony this disposal of a lifetimes

modelling should be a problem,however the issue is solved should

No.1 son own a model railway shop, and also share exactly the same

modelling preferences and an exhibition layout to boot. Lucky me!

I can plead guilty to most of Manxcat's list, except 8 and 12, to my

enduring shame have never built a working chassis - don't think I

could pass with Kitmaster from my childhood regrettably.

• Like 1

Morning All,

Just to change the subject a little, I wonder if the readership has seen Tom F’s layout thread. It’s miles away from LB in many ways but the standard is fantastic. I believe he’s post on here occasionally and has done some weathering for Tony. It’s called Scaca Fell Forrest Crossing.

Robert

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/08/2021 at 20:12, Manxcat said:

Are you an experienced railway modeller? If you think you are then, just for a bit of fun, how many of the following can you say you have done or relate to you? 

1. Burnt yourself with a soldering iron.

2. Cut yourself with a bladed scalpel you were using as a modelling knife.

3. Stuck your fingers together with superglue.

4. Left a fingerprint in a plastic model because liquid solvent got onto your fingers.

5. Knocked over an open bottle of solvent which then covered more than 10% of your working surface.

6, Taken a loco to Tony Wright's loco clinic at a show for him to service or repair,

7. Been to three or more "How To" talks at a model railway show. 

8. Been to a model railway show at the Central Halls Westminster.

9. Have at least 20 railway related books which you have not read nor browsed through for over a decade.

10. Hand built a point in any gauge.

11. Modelled a building from scratch.

12. Constructed a complete loco from a kit.

13 Been given a piece of rolling stock as a birthday or Christmas present  in exactly the period, gauge and livery you wanted.

14. Built a working semaphore signal from a kit.

15. Used an electric static grass applicator.

16. Painted a model loco crew.

17. Spray painted your hand instead of your model.

18. Built a complete layout yourself.

19. Exhibited it at a model railway show.

20. Written an article published in a model railway magazine.

If you have done all 20 then you are clearly an experienced, and probably gifted, railway modeller. (Well IMHO anyway.)

Archie

missing 6 and 7 at the moment (for 7 if it counts I have attended themas a presenter not as a "viewer"

Baz

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard i said:

Go pre grouping and stick to one company. See how your wish list gets shorter and rtr purchases far fewer. 
does mean you have to make most of your stuff though so slower to the layout complete stage.

richard 

My approach summed up perfectly (although I do have models from more than one company, which ran together in the same places in real life).

5 hours ago, DougN said:

I have heard to never work out how much you have spent or how many kits and bits you have to build... 

I am looking after a mates estate and I am  positive he never thought he was ever going to pass away (he was 83 when he passed)  He had 12m3 of timber in his garage.... he had a few layouts left to go in the planning!  On a serious note the volume of models has to be constrained at times. My mate, due to his interest, had multiple of the same loco from the main manufacturers. I am now looking to sell the collection off but the shear volume has shocked his friends and I. There are items that have never been out of the box... others have been run into the ground. So far just from the layout being  boxed up is about 60% of the rolling stock has taken 28hours! 

It is highlighting that we can appreciate a good model and use them gaining enjoyment. Some have an off switch to buying more and others don't.   Personally for me I am only buying a small number of items and kits I will enjoy in the next 10 years or so. Limiting the purchasing of kits to only those that can be used in that time.  RTR I am only buying specific items but even then my interest is becoming more and more narrow. 

I would agree that doing those sorts of calculations is probably not a good idea. I have certainly never attempted to add up the numbers when it comes to costs or to time remaining. I once had a conversation with a friend who was nearing his mid 70s and who had nearly finished a layout which had taken him around 15 years to construct.

He was telling me about his next two layout plans, each of which was as big, or bigger, than the one nearly completed.

I suggested that he would need at least another 30 years of modelling time left to build them but I felt bad about it afterwards. It was as if I had poured cold water on his project.

It comes down to whether you really want to complete your "layout of a lifetime" project or do you model because you enjoy the journey to get there?

If you do have a "layout of a lifetime" project and you finish it, what do you do next?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

I think it has to be about the journey and have felt like that for quite a few years.

I would think that for most people on here the pleasure our layouts gives is the enjoyment they give while we are building or operating whatever takes our fancy, and within our limitations, be they spacial,  financial or time restricted. 

A few years ago I started sifting through my stash of kits n bits that I had accumulated over 50+ years. Some were confined to the wheelie bin but a lot have been put to good use on one or other of my small layouts, none of which are expected to be completed in my lifetime and certainly aren’t likely to be completed after.

Does this bother me at all? Not in the slightest because for me the value I’ve had from my railway modelling is in the Now. Whether that’s the afternoon spent building something, or just shunting some trucks up and down.

Take the pleasures we can in the Now moment because as we’ve seen recently with the sad losses of our RMWebb friends all to soon we don’t now how long our Now time is

Edited by Dragonboy
Grammar
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Thank you for your kind words Robert!

I've attached a couple of photos for Tony and others, but more can be found in my thread. It has done my mental health the world of good over the past few months. On the back of the recent photos, Railway Modeller have asked to do an article.

239882509_10158666797772984_2766756054581889894_n.jpeg.27aa9abad1265987e725f38903d1bffd.jpeg

239914418_10158666805662984_1834580806817815078_n.jpeg.4fdbc7c5319a0800781ee97f685ab103.jpeg

If anyone would like more information, please do not hesitate to ask! :)

Those trees & foliage  are superb.

Brit15

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tom F said:

I've attached a couple of photos for Tony and others, but more can be found in my thread. It has done my mental health the world of good over the past few months. On the back of the recent photos, Railway Modeller have asked to do an article.

239882509_10158666797772984_2766756054581889894_n.jpeg.27aa9abad1265987e725f38903d1bffd.jpeg

239914418_10158666805662984_1834580806817815078_n.jpeg.4fdbc7c5319a0800781ee97f685ab103.jpeg

@Tom Fthat is about as perfect an image - especially the first one - as any I have seen of a model railway, anywhere.  I'm not sure the word "exquisite" is adequate.

Re: disposals and "projects"; I'm visiting my Dad this weekend for the first time in 12 months.  He has completed some major home renovation projects over the years (two large properties in my lifetime) but anything else is generally on the Round Tuit list, be it a book to write, model railway to build, car to restore, etc.  My own Round Tuit list is long enough, but there is so much of his stuff that was kept for a particular reason 20, 30, even 40 years ago.  It is really uncomfortable when he mentions more books he has acquired (he has never left a secondhand bookshop empty-handed), with the intention of doing some research and thoughts of compiling a book of his own, but I know it will never happen; there will always be another distraction.  To be fair it's usually a train trip or a preserved railway, so it's not time wasted......

I also know that one day, this wonderful collection of railway books will have to be dispersed because I simply don't (and probably never will have) the space to keep it.

• Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, Tom F said:

Honestly thought I was looking at a huge-gauge outside job there. Wow!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tom F said:

Superb stuff.

This is a perfect example of a model railway running in its landscape.  A single track running through and surrounded by beautifully observed scenic modelling of a very high standard.

In the context of the current discussions about amassing a surfeit of models and embarking on ambitious model railway projects, along with many I am guilty as charged...  but this is an excellent riposte.  

Well done, Tom!

• Like 2