Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

8 hours ago, sandra said:

Tony,

The fitting of signals at Retford is continuing although there five or six still to go. Yesterday Andrew Hartshorne installed the latest signal which has four somersault arms which allow exit from the goods yard to the up main or to the up platform line.

F4B0EFE1-4171-40B3-B5B9-8DFC24363648.jpeg.b7b48dbd51eb7c21b6de50beaaad77a8.jpegHere is the new signal which is signalled to allow the J39 to leave the yard on to the up main line.

The signal was built by Graham Nicholas who has made a marvellous job of its construction and it works beautifully having been installed by Andrew Hartshorne of Wizard Models. The four arms all work and are powered by servos. 1B47343E-CD83-45B0-93DC-AE6A6D3B5415.jpeg.0b62ed3fe37f64357eec759ac2e096c5.jpegThis is a view of the signal from the other side. I believe that the original of this signal was the last surviving somersault signal at Retford for it was still there after the flat crossing was abolished and the underpass built.

Robert Carroll and me ran the full sequence of trains today and whilst there were a couple of glitches the railway worked quite well. The major problems were caused by operator errors, particularly by me. I will eventually get the hang of the layout’s many foibles.

I wish to thank both Graham and Andrew for all their hard work in building and installing the somersault signal which I think is a great piece of work.

Sandra

It looks superb, Sandra.

My compliments to both Graham and Andrew, and to you for ensuring there is still a layout to fix the signal to.

The signal was definitely there after the underpass was built and the crossing lifted (in 1965). A glance at the bottom photograph (which I took in October 1965) on page 59 of my book The Green-Blue Transition, Years of Change on the East Coast Main Line shows it (with a Deltic racing by). It had not long been repainted - shortly a portent of its imminent removal?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Dave,

The tender body has been changed (to a Dave Alexander, cast metal one by the look), which is at least the right shape (is it the coal division plate's position which is different?). 

I think the conversion was practicable at £60.00. To get it 'dead right' would have meant it (potentially) costing more, and the end product would not be worth that.

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, just the position of the division plate.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Also on the subject of Retford, Sandra is planning to have the Harwich-Liverpool Boat Train depicted in both directions. The new set has been assembled and tested - using a Britannia for the test. Here it is passing the existing set behind B17 Clumber:

https://youtu.be/zeSVolvqK_4

Thanks for showing CLUMBER, Robert.

I'm privileged to have her running on Retford. Though originally built in OO for service on Little Bytham, now on her EM frames (her OO ones are here) she's much more at home.

Not only that, her running over the flat crossing recalls an intense personal memory. In the August of 1958, she was on the boat train day after day.......................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2021 at 18:44, zr2498 said:

I am going to call the RSPCT

image.png.137c95bb2b3394428792865211284af8.png

Brings back childhood memories of driving an Airfix 4F through an (open) lifting section.  I never did find that front buffer......

• Friendly/supportive 4

21 hours ago, t-b-g said:

That looks great Sandra.

It is interesting to see a tender first working. I once had a chat with Roy about perhaps including a tender first working into the sequence but had no joy whatsoever. His argument was that he never saw one so he didn't want one on the layout but I was pretty sure they must have happened sometimes. So I am pleased that it has now happened on the layout. 

Thank you Tony. This came about by accident because running smoke box first this loco derailed a number of times. It is compensated and even though the curves on Retford are not sharp it did take exception to one particular curve coming out of the fiddle yard. That is a problem I’ve found before with compensated locos. Another compensated locomotive on Retford is 60018 Sparrow Hawk and this locomotive has been a source of endless problems as it repeatedly derails at one point in the down line and it was not capable of pulling any of the main expresses in the up direction so it’s now been relegated to an up fitted freight.

I rather like to a see a locomotive running tender first as it makes a change to normal and my memory of steam days is that it was more common than is depicted in photographs. I suppose photographers saw a loco running tender first and didn’t bother to take a photograph. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

23 hours ago, sandra said:

The signal was built by Graham Nicholas who has made a marvellous job of its construction and it works beautifully having been installed by Andrew Hartshorne of Wizard Models. The four arms all work and are powered by servos. 

I wish to thank both Graham and Andrew for all their hard work in building and installing the somersault signal which I think is a great piece of work.

Sandra

Slightly belated apologies for not acknowledging this post before now. Delighted to hear that the signal is now all motorised - Andrew's not hung about doing that!

We're beginning to gather together a few images of the remaining signals on and around the station.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Also on the subject of Retford, Sandra is planning to have the Harwich-Liverpool Boat Train depicted in both directions. The new set has been assembled and tested - using a Britannia for the test. Here it is passing the existing set behind B17 Clumber:

https://youtu.be/zeSVolvqK_4

Thanks for posting that Robert. I think I must mention that in reality the two trains would never have been seen passing each other. The down train to Liverpool ran in the morning and the up train to Harwich ran in the afternoon. In fact the buffet car and one other coach were removed from the down train at Sheffield and returned to Harwich on the up train. The B17 was also removed from the down train and then worked the up train so at Retford both trains were hauled by the same engine. 

The down train at Retford is hauled by Tony Wright’s B17 Clumber so the up train should really have a model of the same engine. I don’t think I could bring myself to a second model of the same engine so I will build a second B17 but this will be Doncaster Rovers.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sandra said:

Thanks for posting that Robert. I think I must mention that in reality the two trains would never have been seen passing each other. The down train to Liverpool ran in the morning and the up train to Harwich ran in the afternoon. In fact the buffet car and one other coach were removed from the down train at Sheffield and returned to Harwich on the up train. The B17 was also removed from the down train and then worked the up train so at Retford both trains were hauled by the same engine. 

The down train at Retford is hauled by Tony Wright’s B17 Clumber so the up train should really have a model of the same engine. I don’t think I could bring myself to a second model of the same engine so I will build a second B17 but this will be Doncaster Rovers.

Good morning Sandra,

'so the up train should really have a model of the same engine'

Once the westbound boat train had passed over the flat crossing, one knew it would be the same B17 coming back later in the afternoon (later on, a Brit, but a different one each day). It would come off at Sheffield Vic', be serviced, turned and then wait for the eastbound train (the Restaurant Car would wait in a bay as well). The only occasion I can recall of the same loco not coming back was when a B1 was substituted. When CLUMBER or GAYTON HALL (I can't remember which) went back, I don't know, but it was on the boat train next day. 

There's also a shot of a B1 on the boat train in one of Keith Pirt's Retford books. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Sandra,

'so the up train should really have a model of the same engine'

Once the westbound boat train had passed over the flat crossing, one knew it would be the same B17 coming back later in the afternoon (later on, a Brit, but a different one each day). It would come off at Sheffield Vic', be serviced, turned and then wait for the eastbound train (the Restaurant Car would wait in a bay as well). The only occasion I can recall of the same loco not coming back was when a B1 was substituted. When CLUMBER or GAYTON HALL (I can't remember which) went back, I don't know, but it was on the boat train next day. 

There's also a shot of a B1 on the boat train in one of Keith Pirt's Retford books. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I did think of putting a B1 on the up train but I don’t think this occurred very often and I will therefore stick with my idea of building another B17.

I suppose I could simply remove Clumber from the down train and attach it to the up train but this would involve too much handling of the locomotive which I try to avoid.

I intend to build “Doncaster Rovers” as I understand that this was the only B17 with a group standard tender shedded at March and I do have a photo of it on the boat train. I believe the B17 which ran through Retford came on at March and ran through to Sheffield where it was replaced by an EM2 electric. I will build the B17 using the old Hornby tender drive body and tender using a Comet underframe.

I don’t know what hauled the train between Harwich and March but I presume it was another B17, or was it a Britannia? The EM2 came off at Guide Bridge and the train was taken to Manchester Central by another loco and finally it was taken to Liverpool Central by yet another loco, possibly a tank engine. So the train had five different locos during its journey, is this a record?

Sandra

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

With just about all the built locos sold now, I'm down to un-built kits. These comprise......

South Eastern Finecast complete and untouched original 'Hush-Hush' W1 (no wheels). Price; £50.00.

South Eastern Finecast complete and untouched rebuilt W1; includes all wheels/axles/crankpins - Romford/Markits. Also included (as well as the corridor type) is a non-corridor tender (just remove the rivets) for 60700 in BR days. Price: £95.00.

Crownline D16/3 (non-decorative valance) complete and examined; includes all wheels/axles/crankpins (Markits). Price; £60.00

Crownline A1 complete and examined; includes all wheels (Markits) but no axles/crankpins. Price £60.00.

Nu-Cast K1 complete and examined; includes all wheels/axles/crankpins, plus D11 motor and Romford gears. Price £60.00.

Anyone interested in these, please PM me. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2021 at 22:08, sandra said:

I rather like to a see a locomotive running tender first as it makes a change to normal and my memory of steam days is that it was more common than is depicted in photographs. I suppose photographers saw a loco running tender first and didn’t bother to take a photograph. 

Agree, very few photos for example of the bigger locos working back from Swanage for turning. 

Edited by john new
Missing word added

Of possible interest................

Three more from the collection.................

1800670591_9220103.jpg.022fbc43d087b2e374c4ba1b55cd9171.jpg

522903056_9220104.jpg.97ae280e87463b54dfaa1b353e5a95b4.jpg

Readers might recall my showing this loco earlier.

I've got it to run 'perfectly' now; by that I mean no tight spot, so nice and sweet. It now has a correct smokebox numberplate (from Ian Wilson's Pacific range) and a Doncaster shedplate. 

I've previously replaced the 10-spoke pony wheels with the correct nine-spoke types, secured the front steps  and made a representation of the lubricator drives. It also now carries a lamp and is crewed.

Have these alterations added value to it? Possibly not, because I doubt if it's as good as a Bachmann RTR equivalent (which costs?). 

It's seen here in company with another from the collection...............

824911406_60118and92201.jpg.22a96b4c2b88228e93ec7343683f3f05.jpg

The A1 was built from a DJH kit and rather nicely-painted (builder/painter unknown). It was 60117, but I've changed it to 60118 in case I keep it (having already made 60117). 

1467433944_6011801.jpg.a42d36f360d6e694155c04823d32681c.jpg

738652388_6011802.jpg.eb95f752cbf0e1fad0dfb669ef9b7071.jpg

I've also replaced the muddled front numberplate (it was fixed in the wrong place and creased) with one of Ian Wilson's. Though it can't be seen, I've drilled out the chimneys and fitted the wiggly pipes. I've also glazed the cab, fixed in place the worksplates, added a crew and fitted lamps.

The vacuum standpipe is fixed too far outboard.

It's Portescap-powered and, after a tweak here and there, now runs very well. 

The third in this trio..............

61641.jpg.2717eec06232f0f41059c48303e8d3cb.jpg

Built/painted by Ray Lightfoot, this is either scratch-built or made from a Jamieson hand-cut kit (probably the latter). 

After I'd stopped it from derailing (a weird tender suspension arrangement), made it run quietly (so as not to assault the eardrums), glazed the cab, fitted a crew, fixed on a lamp and generally sorted it out (it's getting on), I've decided to keep this one (paying for it, of course). 

I've changed it from 61624 (an early-withdrawal) to 61641 (which I saw). It awaits the correct, 12-spoke bogie wheels and nameplates (both items on order). 

I might well keep the other two (again, paying for them). To many, this must appear nonsense, since I can build any loco I want. However, it's nice to have another friend's work on LB (Ray's) and I have put a fair bit of work into all of them.

None of them ran very well at source, and the hours spent getting them to run to Bytham's minimum standards will be worth it in one way or another.

Finally..................

2036418131_TUDORMINSTRELS.jpg.ce6a6d24c0bfa8a9e3a5323c38a8ea7b.jpg

One of the A2s I showed sold immediately (for the £200.00 asked - thanks Eric). It was the better of the two, even though this one (on the right) is Portescap powered. 

What's the one on the left, by way of a comparison, also TUDOR MINSTREL? It's one I built from the same DJH kit over a decade ago. Ian Rathbone painted it perfectly. It, too, has a Portescap in it and it runs beautifully.

So does the one on the right, now. Why do so many 'professionally-built' locos which pass through my hands run so poorly? Do the commissioners of them not care, or aren't bothered? Almost every one of the 100 odd I've sold of late has needed attention (they run fine now, though some have remained basket-cases and have been sold for fractions of the cost of their component parts. I assume that all those who've bought the locos from me are happy, though one purchaser did report a short circuit).

I was asking £200.00 for the one on the right from the collection. Nobody's been tempted at that, so I'm now asking £175.00. In case any buyer is 'outraged' at being 'over-charged' for what they've already bought, I need to move the last of these on as soon as possible.

By a further way of a comparison, were I to build TUDOR MINSTREL on commission, with a top pro-paint job, it would be well the far side of £1,000.00. Which, I hope, makes the one on the right a bit of a bargain, especially as it runs so well know. 

As for 60118 and 92201, I'll wait and see as to whether I keep them, though it's rather nice to have a run of 60116, 60117, 60118, 60119, 60120 and 60121, all underlined in my 1957 Ian Allan combined volume - I could extend it to 60126 as well in future!  

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 14

Tony,

The short circuit has been sorted. one of the brake shoes was too close to the wheel tread. No doubt due to a Royal Mail rough shunt as a rear guard iron had come adrift too and was laying loose in the box. No problem, just a quick in and out with the soldering iron. Still well pleased with my purchase.

Regards

Pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, sandra said:

I don’t know what hauled the train between Harwich and March but I presume it was another B17, or was it a Britannia? The EM2 came off at Guide Bridge and the train was taken to Manchester Central by another loco and finally it was taken to Liverpool Central by yet another loco, possibly a tank engine. So the train had five different locos during its journey, is this a record?

Sandra

2-6-4T from Guide Bridge to Manchester Central, then another one to Liverpool Central. The B17s had gone by the time I travelled on this train in late 50s/early 60s, it was usually a Britannia or a B1 from Victoria onwards

• Informative/Useful 2

54 minutes ago, cb900f said:

Tony,

The short circuit has been sorted. one of the brake shoes was too close to the wheel tread. No doubt due to a Royal Mail rough shunt as a rear guard iron had come adrift too and was laying loose in the box. No problem, just a quick in and out with the soldering iron. Still well pleased with my purchase.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I'm glad you like your loco.

Pleased to report that the A2 has now sold. If the price is right!

Regards,

Tony. 

21 hours ago, sandra said:

I think the two trains passed on the Fallowfield Loop. Of course, we were only testing rather than running a sequence. When the second boat train is commissioned, it will be in the correct place in the sequence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Model Railway Engineer.com has published a list of the names of men most likely to be Model Railway Enthusiasts. It is as follows.

1. Michael

2. David

3. Mark

4. Chris

5. Robert

6. Andy

7. Matt

8, John

9. Brian

10. James

Our model railway club of 16 members has seven of the ten names listed as members. I do wonder how the list was compiled. 

Archie

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

How do they do it?

Not sure

How would I do it?

Most common christian names registered in the period 1945 - 1960.

Either that or someone has access to BRM or RM's list of subscribers, perhaps even RMWeb..........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Manxcat said:

Model Railway Engineer.com has published a list of the names of men most likely to be Model Railway Enthusiasts. It is as follows.

1. Michael

2. David

3. Mark

4. Chris

5. Robert

6. Andy

7. Matt

8, John

9. Brian

10. James

Our model railway club of 16 members has seven of the ten names listed as members. I do wonder how the list was compiled. 

Archie

Where's Wally Tony?

• Funny 15

7 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

How do they do it?

Not sure

How would I do it?

Most common christian names registered in the period 1945 - 1960.

A few years ago our club of about two dozen members had seven Daves!

We're now down to three I think and none of the other names even make an appearance.

• Like 2