Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Just to report that a mate and I dismantled the railway of a deceased modeller today. It was built into its room, with no thought for its ever being removed. The boards were scrapped, but most other things were recovered.

I'll be selling nothing of what was on it (all RTR). I'll just phone up Elaine and see what she offers.

I guess my layout is much the same (built into the room - double decker / heavy / free standing but 2mm from the walls all around). Not planning to move but if I do then, model railway for sale, complete with house!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

45 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Just to report that a mate and I dismantled the railway of a deceased modeller today. It was built into its room, with no thought for its ever being removed. The boards were scrapped, but most other things were recovered.

I'll be selling nothing of what was on it (all RTR). I'll just phone up Elaine and see what she offers.

Elaine will shortly take delivery of the locos and units from the collection I have been disposing of. There are lots of them!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If that was meant to imply disapproval; I'd sooner OHLE and the possibility that the railway might still be there.

I certainly don't think that OHLE was unacceptably intrusive in the Longdendale valley - but then that railway succumbed to the 'rationalisation' of BR, despite electrification.

Electrification, with the notable exception of the SR / BR(SR), was always going to be 25kv. once the technology was developed. There would have had to be far more abandonments / re-equipment if widespread electrification had been adopted earlier.

CJI.

Not disapproval, John, just my (failed?) attempt at humour.

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I guess my layout is much the same (built into the room - double decker / heavy / free standing but 2mm from the walls all around). Not planning to move but if I do then, model railway for sale, complete with house!

Good morning Dave,

The widow is contemplating selling the house (too big for her now), and her late husband's layout 'had to go'. It wasn't very big; just an 'L'-shaped branch terminus 'somewhere on the WR in BR days'. Track's Peco (all recovered), buildings mainly Metcalfe/Superquick, the stock all (weathered) RTR and the control DCC. It was all built very well, quite heavy and screwed to the walls/furniture. Apart from slight damage to the bottoms/edges of some of the buildings, everything can be re-sold on. Effectively, it was 'all in one piece', such was the construction of the boards, so much saw-work (electric jigsaw and hand-pad-saw) and sweat were required. 

The deceased (a friend of my mate, though I didn't know him) had taken up railway modelling on retirement just a few years ago and what he'd done was rather good (though too much crammed in for me). He'd been adding some more details when Covid struck! His wife recovered, but he didn't. 

Fortunately, photographs exist (I didn't take any) as a memory for his family, but there was a real tinge of sadness as my mate and I effectively dismantled everything he'd done, and his baseboard work ended up as kindling or in the bin! 

As I've intimated, I'll personally not be trying to sell any of it, though I'll check out the four locos (Bachmann/Hornby/Heljan). I'll try them on DC first, and, if they won't work on this, try to figure out the mysteries of the DCC tablet. I really cannot stand those things, but I'll try to not let my prejudice get in the way.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 14

19 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Even more so if WWI had not happened, as there were electrification schemes in various stages of advancement in the early 1910s - York-Newcastle, Derby-Manchester, Preston-Carlisle among the main line schemes in rough order of ready-to-go-ness, along with numerous suburban schemes.

You do not mention the Shildon-Teeside electrification, which was functional from 1915.

Post WW1 coal traffic decline  and the passage of time entailed that by 1935 the OHLE  was not financially worth replacing/maintaining.

Electricity supply costs were also a factor.

It is a shame that none of the 10 locomotives built for the line survive, despite one having been used post WW2 as a shunter at Ilford Car Sheds and which I think I can just remember seeing.

The plans for York-Newcastle electrification would have used third-rail collection for the 'open country' parts of the line, nevertheless by the 1930s the same issue of infrastructure maintenance costs would surely have affected it.

The only survivor of the NER electrification is No.1, from the Manors-Quayside tunnel line.

This is at Locomotion in Shildon and it is hoped that post-covid (if that time ever comes) the cab, with it's rather horrendous changeover switch from Overhead to third-rail, can be open to visitors again.

Had things been otherwise Tony could have had locomotives like No.13 whispering through Little Bytham, and no A4s!

But perhaps he wouldn't like that!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, drmditch said:

You do not mention the Shildon-Teeside electrification, which was functional from 1915.

Well, no, I was focusing on the main-line schemes for which the Shildon electrification was in some measure a trial, along with the Midland's Lancaster-Morecambe-Heysham electrification.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Dylan,

There was actually a little bit of wire fencing on Little Bytham. It was about 18 inches long, and nobody noticed that it was there, nor, in the main, that the rest was missing. It got damaged during my taking a photograph, and I've never reinstated it. From most viewing distances the wire fencing it's invisible, anyway. The eye just 'reads' the posts, and the brain believes it's there. 

Regards,

Tony. 

A timely subject as over the past few weeks I have been the boundary fences to Brent, so far following the same approach of just adding the posts.  The next section that needs adding is much closer to the front of the layout, so I had been debating whether or not I should add the wires to it.  I think based on the last few posts it is probably not worth the extra effort.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

A timely subject as over the past few weeks I have been the boundary fences to Brent, so far following the same approach of just adding the posts.  The next section that needs adding is much closer to the front of the layout, so I had been debating whether or not I should add the wires to it.  I think based on the last few posts it is probably not worth the extra effort.

Good morning Rich,

Tony Gee mentioned the wire fencing he'd done on Retford.

793886222_Retford12101925O4onGC.jpg.fb485d5c8b19c199978808a368168cdf.jpg

935365640_Retford12101929D11.jpg.5cbf599c053e56a29febaaa79a96d83a.jpg

It's visible here, to the left of these images. It's meticulously done (though a post or two is out of plumb - because of elbows?) and the wire is almost invisible. That said, in this case, because it's so close to viewers, then it was worth doing, but it's difficult to see.

However,

778310864_Stationbuildings01.jpg.4c7d22d52350deee9333eea2709d844f.jpg

1305486414_Footbridge08prototype.jpg.f4a41c64fd5da88716924b0b233583db.jpg

In Bytham's case, would it be (could it be) seen? 

As can be observed in these two prototype shots, it's on the top of the very low cutting to the left. Though the posts are very dark, the wires are invisible. Yes, I know they're against the light, but I honestly thought the hours I'd spend installing those wires would really be wasted. Modelling pragmatism, or laziness? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Pragmatism for sure. No wire also looks far better than overscale kinked wire. (Spoken by one who hasn't even got the posts in yet...).

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, drmditch said:

Post WW1 coal traffic decline  and the passage of time entailed that by 1935 the OHLE  was not financially worth replacing/maintaining.

Electricity supply costs were also a factor.

It is a shame that none of the 10 locomotives built for the line survive, despite one having been used post WW2 as a shunter at Ilford Car Sheds and which I think I can just remember seeing.

The plans for York-Newcastle electrification would have used third-rail collection for the 'open country' parts of the line, nevertheless by the 1930s the same issue of infrastructure maintenance costs would surely have affected it.

The only survivor of the NER electrification is No.1, from the Manors-Quayside tunnel line.

This is at Locomotion in Shildon and it is hoped that post-covid (if that time ever comes) the cab, with it's rather horrendous changeover switch from Overhead to third-rail, can be open to visitors again.

Had things been otherwise Tony could have had locomotives like No.13 whispering through Little Bytham, and no A4s!

But perhaps he wouldn't like that!

The Shildon line only required two locos by the time the wires were taken down, all the locos were stored for use on the MSW scheme but were scrapped just as the first phase of that was about to be switched on. No11 was considerably rebuilt as a banking loco for Worsbrough but never worked there, having gone to Ilford in 1949.

In the main line electrification proposal which the EE1 was built for, as I understood it 3rd rail was to be used in Waverley station, most of the line would have been OLE. No13 was fitted with the junction boxes for 3rd rail shoes on the bogies - identical to the ones on the ES1 Bo-Bos.

That changeover switch is truly horrifying, it's an open knife switch for 600v DC inside the cab, the pantograph was pulled down with a rope.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The Shildon line only required two locos by the time the wires were taken down, all the locos were stored for use on the MSW scheme but were scrapped just as the first phase of that was about to be switched on. No11 was considerably rebuilt as a banking loco for Worsbrough but never worked there, having gone to Ilford in 1949.

In the main line electrification proposal which the EE1 was built for, as I understood it 3rd rail was to be used in Waverley station, most of the line would have been OLE. No13 was fitted with the junction boxes for 3rd rail shoes on the bogies - identical to the ones on the ES1 Bo-Bos.

That changeover switch is truly horrifying, it's an open knife switch for 600v DC inside the cab, the pantograph was pulled down with a rope.

Yes, the switch could arc horribly. I understand the 'second man' (if that is the correct title) was at some time issued with a leather glove for making/unmaking the switch.

You have not mentioned that you do (or did) make a kit for the Shildon Electrics. I was hoping to obtain one, but can't work out which of my lines to electrify!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, ScRSG said:

Just to continue the kits "rescued" from Tony's, here are the two which I purchased, now completed, firstly the BR Standard 3MT on a passenger -

271427189_IMGP1212(3).JPG.2da3275ad21b7b0e4dd766a567f80be4.JPG

and secondly the WD Austerity 2-10-0 side by side with the little Standard.

IMGP1221.JPG.dd08313a7b88284055c130add5398542.JPG

both now lightly weathered.

Chas

They're fantastic Chas,

Thanks for showing us.

Kits are meant to be built, and here's a pair which proves the point.

Regards,

Tony. 

If I can o back to the thread on overweight diesel locomotives.  Remember the class 40 and Peaks were planned in the time of unfitted freight trains, when the critical factor was the locomotives ability to stop the train.  Bill

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

That changeover switch is truly horrifying, it's an open knife switch for 600v DC inside the cab

In the good old bad old days, SR motormen who wanted to light a cigarette would open the (line voltage) two-point switch slightly to draw an arc, light their fag and close the switch again.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

With Chas posting pictures of the Austerity 2-10-0 he's built, this is the one which was in the latest collection.

1529800382_Austerity2-10-0.jpg.e4e374c480903441649e54799a37fad2.jpg

It's reasonably well-made (builder/painter/weatherer unknown) but its running is diabolical. 

I tinkered with it, but a complete motor/gearbox replacement is necessary. I mentioned it to a mate, and he bought it straight away. He has the skills to make this into something worthwhile (though is that Westinghouse stuff correct?). So do I, but it wouldn't be worth my time.

That's just about it then (until mortality strikes again!). Apart from some 'residuals', just about everything from the two recent 'estates' has now been sold. Add that on to the sales of un-built kits (some of which I had to hand back), then £15,000.00+ seems to be the total (probably more, but I've still to do the final tallies). Some have still to paid for on collection (forthcoming) which will add several hundred pounds more as well.

Clearly the 'products' were right, the prices were right and the market was there for them. It only remains for me to thank all those who've bought them (paying more than was asked on several occasions). 

I think what's most gratifying to me (other than bereaved families getting some money) is that most of the locos I've sold will be used - actually run. Much, much better than gathering dust. 

Westinghouse was fitted to the Longmoor locos and overseas 2-10-0’s how long it stayed on them I don’t know, I can’t find any BR mid 50’s+ livery locomotives with them (yet)..

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, johndon said:

Talking of the NER ES1 electric, here's my build of the Judith Edge kit, I really should get round to finishing it some time...

IMG_2123.jpeg.3674f96bd0b9b4b1f16108f015ede611.jpeg

John

Very nice, hanks for showing us the photo.

15 hours ago, drmditch said:

You have not mentioned that you do (or did) make a kit for the Shildon Electrics. I was hoping to obtain one, but can't work out which of my lines to electrify!

We do all the NER electric locos in 4mm and 7mm scale.

• Like 1

Re: Possible LNER diesel-electric locomotives

Yesterday at Locomotion, Shildon, where I volunteer, a colleague pointed out a new collection of drawings and associated history drawn from materials in the Railway Museum archives.
It is a bit more 'coffee table' than I normally prefer, but on page 82 et seq there is an item which made the book irresistible.
There is a discussion of early diesel policy on both LMS and LNER

From English Electric Bradford works are shown three outline drawings for articulated diesel-electric locomotives for the LNER.

Dated February 1945 is a twin 1,200hp scheme with a central cab and A4 style streamlining.
From April 1945 is a more conventional scheme with end cabs and a range of engine options of which the largest would have provided a combined 3,200 hp. There are options for auxiliary electric power for the train and a steam-heating boiler.
The front end (in profile) looks rather like a DC3 aircraft with added buffers. The rear end is more flattened, a bit like the rear cab on a Class 91.
Fuel tankage is supplied for 1,200 miles of running.
The articulation is permanent and there would be no provision for running the two locomotives separately as with the later LMS scheme.

Unfortunately, no correspondence has yet been discovered.

However these drawings were produced over two years before the board-level proposal for some 25 diesel-electric locomotives with support and maintenance facilities, as set out in Appendix 2 of Volume 3 Michael Bonavia's history of the LNER.

The rest of the book contains interesting material as well - if you like such things as the L&M Rocket (as re-built), the NER Dynamometer Car, the 1924 'Never-stop' Railway, Castles, Princess Coronations, GNR horse-drawn omnibuses, and other eclectic items!

The author is Christopher Valkoinen who works in the Search Engine in York; the book, which is large and heavy is published by Thames and Hudson in association with the Railway Museum (no comments on branding please - I don't know why they dropped the 'National').
ISBN 978-0-500-02167-5

Good reading, entertainment, and source for speculation as evenings get darker and longer.

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

15 hours ago, bbishop said:

If I can o back to the thread on overweight diesel locomotives.  Remember the class 40 and Peaks were planned in the time of unfitted freight trains, when the critical factor was the locomotives ability to stop the train.  Bill

Is that why BR had to build so many brake tenders?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Even the weight of a Peak wasn't enough to stop a coal train. I well remember a crash in the early to mid 1960s when a Peak lost control on the descent from Hucknall towards Bulwell and smashed into the back of another train.

On 24/08/2021 at 14:02, Tony Wright said: