Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently working on yet another bridge. The plan is to create a bridge based on the marvelous Findorn Viaduct (as below), which is a lattice truss deck bridge.

image.png.746c1e818c42f400a95a42e68e4d8cbe.png

It will be converted to double track, and I'm hoping to use many of the components from a CVMW double track Parker truss bridge.

image.png.380ec72e1fe5b2e4322c9570522c6237.png

Quite a task , so lots of kit bashing and extra bits of styrene will be needed.

I'm still undecided about the track. The existing rails are laid on standard ballasted sleepers with internal guard rails. I would like the option of using longitunal sleepers as below

image.png.5fad88c5d5920a49dad20ae3fe48980f.png

But the bridge would need the guard rails as well. I have hunted high and low for a design / picture of running rails and guard rails laid on longitudinal timbers with the transoms  / tie bars gauging the width.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

I seem to remember seeing this formation on an exhibtion layout but was that based on a prototype design?

Dave

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've just commented on the Peterborough North thread with regard to the forthcoming new Bachmann V2.

1006418392_newBachmannV201.jpg.1e7bf159278b51c2c7ecdfc130b1c9f2.jpg

This is one of the pre-production samples I had for assessment at the end of 2019. The production samples are coming soon in numbers, so I'll then have the chance to give them a full test on LB (Bachmann 'filming' them).

I'll report accordingly. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Very interesting Dave,

I assume this is for a film?

Regards,

Tony. 

Secrets out!

Great that NYMR has had an alternative income during the pandemic - two film productions. This one and a Tom Cruise movie.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, MJI said:

Very interesting to see how good the resin and printed bodies are.

I think they are Martin,

Especially on top of a Comet set of frames and (in some cases) with a first-rate paint job. As I hope these two further shots show.................

1985936621_V2King60837.jpg.c9dc8ac0b36fb347853d8c92bc8d4cf8.jpg

This is one of my Graeme King-bodied V2s, with my painting/weathering. It tows a Bachmann tender.

733650291_TriceV226.jpg.ec24cb2a6f42b1293ff91e5e30a1b9d4.jpg

And one of my MJT 3D-printed V2 bodies, this one towing a South Eastern Finecast tender. The painting here is the work of Geoff Haynes. 

I built the Graeme King one about five/six years ago, and the MJT one last year. 

I wonder, are they substantially better than a Jamieson V2 I built over 40 years ago?

321931834_V260821Jamieson.jpg.1e32ff8b35f9afab19963f6265df43d9.jpg

Not knowing any professional painters back then, this is all my own work.

We look forward in anticipation to the forthcoming Bachmann RTR V2.

47901119_BachmannV2.jpg.f29b700b7dca905bb7505b94abfb7a90.jpg

This is the firm's previous one, tarted up a little by me (new dome, new pony wheels, etc.) and weathered by Tom Foster. Not bad, even given its inaccuracies/deficiencies?

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Tony, have you ever known Markits axles to be slightly too short?

This is the first instance I’ve know, Ive had it on 2 recent builds in EM gauge, all built up on the workbench during lockdown, ran great on rollers and straight bit of track.

Only recently I’ve been able to set the  layout up after lockdown and when the locos got to points they would bounce over them. I check the back to back and they were too tight to get the back to back gauge in. 

I know I should have checked them during the building process but I never thought as I’ve never had a problem before, even worse was on the Comet crab which had all its valve gear brackets soldered up (I know it should have been made to bolt out) and so to get at the first axle it all had to be cut away.

These were all brand new Markits wheels and axles.

76E2714B-26EE-4ACB-A462-125397469FF1.jpeg.236edacff59d1ab6d1e663527e257a8d.jpeg
D67F3E2F-522C-4987-8F4D-FBA6005F667C.jpeg.8c1543cd4965c5b789f94886339cb622.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

This is the first instance I’ve know, Ive had it on 2 recent builds in EM gauge, all built up on the workbench during lockdown, ran great on rollers and straight bit of track.

Only recently I’ve been able to set the  layout up after lockdown and when the locos got to points they would bounce over them. I check the back to back and they were too tight to get the back to back gauge in. 

I know I should have checked them during the building process but I never thought as I’ve never had a problem before, even worse was on the Comet crab which had all its valve gear brackets soldered up (I know it should have been made to bolt out) and so to get at the first axle it all had to be cut away.

Short answer from another Tony. Yes! You are not alone.

I believe that you can now purchase shim washers with a square hole to allow you to extend the back to back dimension but when I have used Markits wheels/axles in EM I have made my own washers from thin metal with a hole drilled and then squared off with a square file. I made mine from 10 thou thick metal (only one per axle, no need to make two!), which ended up with a back to back at just about spot on 16.5mm.

The most recent example was also on recently purchased axles and wheels, so it is still happening with new production.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

35 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

And, a short answer from this Tony, 'no'. 

That said, I've only ever built about 15 EM chassis (compared with over 500 OO ones), so I cannot say my experience in the more-accurate gauge is large. I must admit to never checking as well, but (luckily) the chassis I've built run fine on Retford and other EM layouts. 

I've never found a Romford/Markits axle short in OO, either. 

Regards,

Tony. 

24 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I believe that you can now purchase shim washers with a square hole to allow you to extend the back to back dimension but when I have used Markits wheels/axles in EM I have made my own washers from thin metal with a hole drilled and then squared off with a square file. I made mine from 10 thou thick metal (only one per axle, no need to make two!), which ended up with a back to back at just about spot on 16.5mm.

The most recent example was also on recently purchased axles and wheels, so it is still happening with new production.

Hi Micheal/Tony,

Yep that’s precisely my experience as well.  Very strange that the axles seem to be machined consistently too short. 
A spacing washer on one side seems to do the trick.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tony,
A better shot.
I repeat, I bought her part built at Banbury modex. She was built for me by Brian Wiltshire. He was a Jamieson Master and Coachbogie's Dad.
He was a kitbuilding mentor of mine and a dear friend.
She's over thirty years old and a basic kit. She's covered a lot of miles and I love her.
Regards,
Chris.

IMG_20210911_194645.jpg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Same answer from me. Have found it a common problem with Markits EM axles....but as t-b-g says, an easy fix with a shim washer, either home made, or as suggested, a commercial product.

247 Developments do a nice little fret of such washers, although they have marketed them for a 00 purpose, but they do the job on the EM axles nicely.

Pete

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, pete55 said:

Same answer from me. Have found it a common problem with Markits EM axles....but as t-b-g says, an easy fix with a shim washer, either home made, or as suggested, a commercial product.

247 Developments do a nice little fret of such washers, although they have marketed them for a 00 purpose, but they do the job on the EM axles nicely.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I knew I had seen some (probably shown by you!) but couldn't remember who had produced them.

1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

Tony,
A better shot.
I repeat, I bought her part built at Banbury modex. She was built for me by Brian Wiltshire. He was a Jamieson Master and Coachbogie's Dad.
He was a kitbuilding mentor of mine and a dear friend.
She's over thirty years old and a basic kit. She's covered a lot of miles and I love her.
Regards,
Chris.

IMG_20210911_194645.jpg

Thanks Chris,

Here's another shot of my 42 year old Jamieson V2...........

1930866229_V201.jpg.312c58ecb24490a66ae95082859d23ff.jpg

This was taken before I replaced her original MW005 motor with a current DJH combo. 

I also fitted disc wheels to its tender at the same time. Ignorance was bliss!

I think a product of its time.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Chris,

Here's another shot of my 42 year old Jamieson V2...........

1930866229_V201.jpg.312c58ecb24490a66ae95082859d23ff.jpg

This was taken before I replaced her original MW005 motor with a current DJH combo. 

I also fitted disc wheels to its tender at the same time. Ignorance was bliss!

I think a product of its time.

Regards,

Tony. 

Lovely job Tony.
Jamieson kits can produce great stuff, these V2s prove that.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

This is my Jamieson V2. The body came off ebay half built and with no chassis. The Comet chassis was a separate ebay purchase which came barely working with a Bachmann body. I painted it myself and chose 60800 on Headstock’s advice as it was one of the few which hauled this sort of tender in the early ‘50s.

0A36E9DF-CBD8-46B2-89BF-A3261FC12B31.jpeg.e0e2b633f41737bce58405938d1a205d.jpeg

Regards

Andy

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

I might be putting two and two together to make five but the first thing that occurred to me was that for some reason the axles tool might have been set up for 18.0mm gauge instead of 18.2mm.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Lovely job Tony.
Jamieson kits can produce great stuff, these V2s prove that.
Regards,
Chris.

Thanks Chris,

Returning to the subject of spoked or disc V2 tender wheels: were 16mm disc wheels available over 40 years ago? 

From memory, the tender wheels of the day were rather crude, with the apertures between the spokes just stamped-out.

Regards,

Tony. 

10 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

This is my Jamieson V2. The body came off ebay half built and with no chassis. The Comet chassis was a separate ebay purchase which came barely working with a Bachmann body. I painted it myself and chose 60800 on Headstock’s advice as it was one of the few which hauled this sort of tender in the early ‘50s.

0A36E9DF-CBD8-46B2-89BF-A3261FC12B31.jpeg.e0e2b633f41737bce58405938d1a205d.jpeg

Regards

Andy

Good morning Andy,

A splendid job. Thanks for showing us.

I still think the Jamieson V2 kit makes up into a very-acceptable model of what many consider to be Gresley's best-looking loco. 

I still have two running on Little Bytham; 60821 (seen earlier) and this one.

1358346914_V2Jamieson60820.jpg.9936a6c3ee98442e1f1b7f9cad4277ce.jpg

I spent a bit more time detailing the cabsides on this one, and it tows a DMR etched-brass tender.

The frames are Jamieson originals (with brakes added) and Comet valve gear.

The painting is the work of Ian Rathbone. 

As mentioned, I built a V2 for the 1938 weekend on Little Bytham (which also saw service on Grantham). This, too, was from a Jamieson kit.

1853636228_JamiesonV2GreenArrow01.jpg.fa34c4c72794d203ea339cf96351036f.jpg

1272995469_JamiesonV2GreenArrow02.jpg.503da134209fb0aa54cbdf9baa85edee.jpg

This also has Jamieson frames (again, with added brakes), but this time the motion is from Nu-Cast. 

Since it's unlikely that there'll be a repeat '38 weekend on LB, and Grantham is well-served with V2s, I subsequently sold this one on.

Geoff Haynes painted it (the slight difference in colour between these two shots is because of my using two different cameras).

I think what these images show is that a detailed Jamieson V2 can hold its own with more-modern alternatives; even the forthcoming latest RTR one from Bachmann?

Your own painting is much more-laudable.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1