Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

20 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

The V2 is one of my favourites too, though I’ve never built one. This one has been built by Richard Spoors from the 7mm Finney kit and I finished it.

CE7AE699-91E8-4C40-9EC7-9F7D2F409D4D.jpeg.d683761751154f2a64f774f5fe8d009c.jpeg

Ian R

Thanks for showing us this Ian,

Along with Tony Geary's V2, one of the finest models of the type?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, dibateg said:

I always preferred the V2 over the A3, I think the look is more purposeful. I couldn't resist building the Finney one in 7mm scale, even though it is not really suitable for my line - although they did turn on the  Bulwell/Basford triangle when the Annesley turntable was out of action, so I do have an excuse.. I don't think I'll run to an impressive fleet of them like Tony though..  Here is 60886  - a GC line regular from York shed, on my weathering turntable...

898953711_003a(2).jpg.bff5ce3b79369691bbd3677da7232779.jpg

Have you any Pro Scale V2s Tony? I remember Allan Hammett moaned like hell about building the two that I had.. The boiler always looked a bit too long for me..

Regards

Tony

Good evening Tony,

I don't have any Pro-Scale V2s (having built one, that was enough!).

As you know, the two we used to run on Stoke and Charwelton (built by Allan and owned by you) ended up as the property of Gilbert Barnatt. Though they were fine on both Stoke and Charwelton, the tighter curves on Peterborough North caused problems; that and also the fact that one of them had a non-insulated, open-framed motor and live chassis, making it DCC-incompatible (the right questions should have been asked). 

I ended up fixing both, in one way or another.

Here's one of them on test on LB after I'd altered it.............

226510198_Pro-ScaleV2.jpg.ce872bd20b26af2c8582249c58ef5684.jpg

The whole boiler/smokebox assembly is too long, though Allan made a good job given the nature of the kit.

I think the main difference between your single V2 and the near-score I have is a classic case of quality and quantity.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Eric,

I remember those white metal ones, but from where?

DJH, in the A1 and A2 kits still supply etched-brass discs to change 16mm spoked wheels into discs (though they no longer supply wheels in their kits). 

Though some firms might have made 16mm disc wheels 40+ years ago (I don't think I've ever seen any), the 'standard' was the stamped-out 16mm Jackson spoked wheels, hence my erroneous use of them on that V2's tender. They were all that was available at the time, and I knew no better.

Regards,

Tony. 

IIRC, the whitemetal inserts for Jackson/Romford wheels came from MJT.

They also did detailed centres for the 14mm disc coach wheels, a few of which I still have.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1

The photos above reminded me of mine from 2017.

What's also interesting in this shot of a V fronted cab is that there does appear to be a very thin extra band on the front of the V which maybe what Bachmann has tried to reproduce on its V2 albeit much too thick?

Andrew

129956737_UK0_6952s.jpg.530fa4e5069fe8fd7b5bbdf310b1205d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Been a long time since I posted anything. It is interesting to compare the A4 front of the cab roof to the V2's The Finney kits I have been building for about 2 years or more. (they are around just not moved forward for almost a year!)  The V2's have a arc for the "humped" section of the rood to the V point where the A4's as we can see have the same point but no humped section. Also SNG above has a similar triangular section to the rear of this humped section but it is truncated by the removable rectangle where as the V2's stops short.  Other than enjoying V2's one thing that keeps showing up on all the photos of the models is the 2 oil pot manifolds that are missing under the smoke boxes on the foot plate. Yes the enginemen must swear at them as they trip over them! I have also noticed there is little reason for them to be installed north south or east west as I have seen both versions on the prototype photos. The Oil pipe runs seem to vary from neat and tidy to a bowl full of spaghetti!  

I have been distracted this year by "buildings" but I am slowly looking at my loco kits to get more completed on them in the medium term.  I seem to have had a hankering for a southern layout... hence all the buildings, stations, and typical Southern style infrastructure.  Well it could be dealing with a Southern modelers estate... well Bullied did learn from Sir Nigel Gresley. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Nice models - shame about the lack of trailing truck flanges, and their inability to follow the tracks.

John Isherwood.

Good morning John,

Flanged pony truck wheels are provided in the boxes, for those who have generous curves. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Two new models from Hornby just in for photography and review in BRM................

1094813332_HDDuchessR3918HDoriginalMNR3971packaging.jpg.db9df0aaf22f30d3e0c07467146ac611.jpg

Tapping into nostalgia, the substantial packaging echoes that of the Hornby Dublo of my youth, though blue/white stripes signified three-rail back then. Since both these are two-rail, perhaps the broad stripes should be red. 

Both these models are substantially different from the norm of today in that their loco bodies are die-cast (again, nostalgia but these aren't the crude things of the past). 

1784039823_HDDuchessR391802.jpg.a0d22547bb732191c8183cb8dcab8b8a.jpg

The 'Princess Coronation'. There are extra parts to be added.

1483888779_HDoriginalMNR397103.jpg.ea23642a07dd8a3d80fb8b794729fb13.jpg

And the original 'Merchant Navy' (again, without the extra parts added). 

I've yet to test both these on Little Bytham, but on the test track they run superbly. Such is their weight that huge trains should be taken with ease. I'll report accordingly. 

Interesting that both the green and the orange are different shades even though they both represent the same livery and from the same manufacturer! Neither rendition as convincing as Bachmann have achieved on the V2. 

28 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Interesting that both the green and the orange are different shades even though they both represent the same livery and from the same manufacturer! Neither rendition as convincing as Bachmann have achieved on the V2. 

Indeed, they are different. 

I think the 'MN' is nearer to the correct colours in both overall finish and lining. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Two new models from Hornby just in for photography and review in BRM................

1094813332_HDDuchessR3918HDoriginalMNR3971packaging.jpg.db9df0aaf22f30d3e0c07467146ac611.jpg

Tapping into nostalgia, the substantial packaging echoes that of the Hornby Dublo of my youth, though blue/white stripes signified three-rail back then. Since both these are two-rail, perhaps the broad stripes should be red. 

Both these models are substantially different from the norm of today in that their loco bodies are die-cast (again, nostalgia but these aren't the crude things of the past). 

1784039823_HDDuchessR391802.jpg.a0d22547bb732191c8183cb8dcab8b8a.jpg

The 'Princess Coronation'. There are extra parts to be added.

1483888779_HDoriginalMNR397103.jpg.ea23642a07dd8a3d80fb8b794729fb13.jpg

And the original 'Merchant Navy' (again, without the extra parts added). 

I've yet to test both these on Little Bytham, but on the test track they run superbly. Such is their weight that huge trains should be taken with ease. I'll report accordingly. 

Looking at the box art, City of Leicester looks to be intended to have the same finish as the MN, but has turned out completely different! Looks like they had some paint left over from the Thompson Pacific's...

• Funny 2

49 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Indeed, they are different. 

I think the 'MN' is nearer to the correct colours in both overall finish and lining. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I once sprayed a King Arthur and an unrebuilt West Country in Malachite at the same time, using the same paint, same undercoat, etc. They looked to be completely different shades from certain angles. I put it down to large flat sides on one, compared to the traditional round boiler on the other fooling the eye.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning John,

Flanged pony truck wheels are provided in the boxes, for those who have generous curves. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Personally I prefer old style swivelling pony trucks.

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning John,

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

Fabulous pair of locomotives especially the Merchant Navy Class.

You have confirmed they come with Flanged pony truck wheels as an option, I cannot understand why these were not provided with the recent Thompson Pacific’s?

I did fit a spare one from a Hornby A4 to my A2/2 60501 but the axel was too thick in dia and the wheel would not turn.

Regards

David

1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Fabulous pair of locomotives especially the Merchant Navy Class.

You have confirmed they come with Flanged pony truck wheels as an option, I cannot understand why these were not provided with the recent Thompson Pacific’s?

I did fit a spare one from a Hornby A4 to my A2/2 60501 but the axel was too thick in dia and the wheel would not turn.

Regards

David

Money, Money, Money!

The A2 variants were very much built down to a price.

Bernard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Money, Money, Money!

The A2 variants were very much built down to a price.

Bernard

Hi thank you.

It’s a shame as the flanged wheels must have cost a few pennies to produce.

Also I have just seen the A2/2’s on sale brand new for as little as £135.00 so there is quite a price variation depending on where you buy.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/09/2021 at 17:42, Chamby said:

*Cough* years ago, I faced a similar situation with my Swiss metre gauge layout, when I wanted to model one of the characteristic box girder bridges on the Montreux Oberland Bahn in HO scale.  This is the bridge I wanted to model:

1412836007_Flendruz04.jpg.da0ca338055329f9473010079560969c.jpg

The solution I eventually adopted was to kit-bash the bridge kit made by Roco, Cat. No. 40080.   The kit structure would result in something far too heavyweight looking for this bridge, but I found the plastic soft enough to carve easily, and it was straightforward to add additional cross bracing using plastruct section, resulting in an appropriately lighter-weight looking bridge.   It required quite a heavy butchering, including reducing the width of the decking to accommodate 12mm gauge track, rather then the intended 16.5mm.  It was time-consuming work but  I was pleased with the end result.  For the intervening years the completed structure has sat in a box, still waiting for the layout to be built...  Your post got me thinking, so I dug the bridge out of its box for an airing, and took a few pictures: the green sections are original unmodified kit parts for comparison, so you can see how it was cut down.

IMG_4816.jpg.27670d23cfa71b073235a162b850acde.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg.baa4b00b67d174184e0e1bf5630b71ba.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg.ffeca58bff59998da40e1b3b385b26e5.jpg

Would love to see the layout that this great bridge will sit in. Any plans?

I have just started a thread on the lattice girder deck truss bridge - kit bashing. It's going to take a good deal of time, but very few rivets to punch (unlike Tony's Little Bytham bridge). Thank Goodness!

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/167093-lattice-girder-deck-truss-bridge-kit-bashing/

Dave

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi thank you.

It’s a shame as the flanged wheels must have cost a few pennies to produce.

Also I have just seen the A2/2’s on sale brand new for as little as £135.00 so there is quite a price variation depending on where you buy.

Regards

David

I think Hornby stopped including flanged wheelsets some time before the A2s came along. 

IIRC, my most recent 3 or 4 Rebuilt Light Pacifics didn't have them, and nor did my Ellerman Lines.

John

• Informative/Useful 1