Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Unnecessary quotation marks around every name and class is a bugbear of mine. Especially when you are dealing with a subject that has a lot of them where it makes it hard to read. Magazines are the worst offenders.

"A3", "Castle Class", "King", "Hogwarts Castle", "Flying Scotsman", "Austerity", "Streak", etc. Those just from a quick glance at the current Steam Railway.

Jason

It's tricky sometimes Jason, how to present such things.

I never put LNER loco classifications in inverted commas, but tend to with things like 'Duchesses'. 

As for actual names, I either write them in italics (BRM-style) or in capitals (Irwell-style).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I had not given much thought to LNER tender wheels until reading the recent posts on this thread. Today, I received a copy of Peter Tuffrey's new book on B1s. I have only had a fairly quick look through but could not see any photos that clearly showed spoked tender wheels, nor any that were very clearly disc wheels. What did B1 tenders have?

It does seem very odd for Bachmann to have changed from disc wheels to spoked on the V2 if discs are correct, but perhaps they just used some wheels from their pacific tenders that were to hand when they put together the pre-production sample that Tony tested a while back? For the price, it's something they should get right.

I think it's safe to say that most (if not all?) B1s would have tenders with disc wheels.

Like these..............

803207596_B1tenderwheels01.jpg.f95f7c06d00fd796e47422cba0a85bed.jpg

1699278233_B1tenderwheels02.jpg.074a4f20a98e684eab3f9ad68b3bdb5c.jpg

1202665191_B1tenderwheels03.jpg.2b149d9cf41659c37dc8ea82cc353476.jpg

1113295478_B1tenderwheels04.jpg.9e54ad3cdcde7d9d1189dceb75ff4bf0.jpg

1596437029_B1tenderwheels05.jpg.9c6cc996b2829393b74194fcf6845ec2.jpg

1646144024_B1tenderwheels06.jpg.ec7fcf7d3918a009bb44f9527077a318.jpg

1821239525_B1tenderwheels07.jpg.b7b2f598c514daf87204176e1662ecab.jpg

Granted, it is very difficult to tell from most images, but I've yet to find a B1 tender with spoked wheels.

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on the images above.

I'm still trying to find an image of a prototype V2 tender with spoked wheels

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Talking of B1 tender wheels. I believe they were 3’8” discs. Does anybody have a set of 3 as, as far as I can tell, Markits don’t do them and Gibson don’t either at present?

The Markits catalogue lists 14mm and 16mm disks - If my maths is correct then 3'8" should be a smidge under 15mm - so would 14mm coach wheels work?

10 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Talking of B1 tender wheels. I believe they were 3’8” discs. Does anybody have a set of 3 as, as far as I can tell, Markits don’t do them and Gibson don’t either at present?

Good afternoon Roger,

According to the RCTS, the GS tenders behind the B1s had 3' 9" disc wheels (the same as on the V2s).

I'm afraid to admit to fudging such things on the models I've made. Depending on how the tender rides, I've either used 14mm discs or 16mm discs, hoping folk won't notice (nobody has, yet). 

As can be see from the real images in my last post, the wheels are difficult to see, anyway.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think it's safe to say that most (if not all?) B1s would have tenders with disc wheels.

Like these..............

803207596_B1tenderwheels01.jpg.f95f7c06d00fd796e47422cba0a85bed.jpg

1699278233_B1tenderwheels02.jpg.074a4f20a98e684eab3f9ad68b3bdb5c.jpg

1202665191_B1tenderwheels03.jpg.2b149d9cf41659c37dc8ea82cc353476.jpg

1113295478_B1tenderwheels04.jpg.9e54ad3cdcde7d9d1189dceb75ff4bf0.jpg

1596437029_B1tenderwheels05.jpg.9c6cc996b2829393b74194fcf6845ec2.jpg

1646144024_B1tenderwheels06.jpg.ec7fcf7d3918a009bb44f9527077a318.jpg

1821239525_B1tenderwheels07.jpg.b7b2f598c514daf87204176e1662ecab.jpg

Granted, it is very difficult to tell from most images, but I've yet to find a B1 tender with spoked wheels.

Regards,

Tony. 

Looking at Yeadon, 61001 and 61009 had them for starters. Doncaster managed to swap around the disc/spoked tender wheels on some LNER built 8Fs/O6s with the non-LNER built ones within a year or two of building. If that happened in that small fleet then caution is needed when dealing with larger classes.

Simon

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Roger,

According to the RCTS, the GS tenders behind the B1s had 3' 9" disc wheels (the same as on the V2s).

I'm afraid to admit to fudging such things on the models I've made. Depending on how the tender rides, I've either used 14mm discs or 16mm discs, hoping folk won't notice (nobody has, yet). 

As can be see from the real images in my last post, the wheels are difficult to see, anyway.

Regards,

Tony. 

Using 14mm discs, they're probably pretty much correct across the flanges anyway in OO/EM.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PMP said:

I went two Retford yesterday two pick up a locomotive from Sir, and two shew sum Dinghams working.

CD47DCBA-864B-4854-A3F3-E72D1ABA4A22.jpeg.f8c03c9b4f9130872f4ca3d147c54033.jpeg

While i was, their @t-b-ghad his Valour running pulling a fourteen car train really well.

64E92755-CCD8-4835-B175-914373BDA4E9.jpeg.8d5297b0c9b6f574dff5a5e452d63f87.jpeg
This won from won of Tony’s estate sails, has found a good home. It’s going to be an interesting makeover project. (Its hard work writing this bad :) )

Anybody spot that "Valour" has the wrong tender wheels? 12 spoke instead of 13. If anybody knows where I can get some nice 13 spoke tender wheels suitable for EM gauge, I will be happy to alter it.

It did well with the big train on the level but couldn't quite manage the curve and the small hump where the GN crosses the GCR fiddle yard.

There is plenty of room for more weight. It is still at the testing and proving trials stage, so it isn't the finished article just yet. I always wanted it to be able to pull the heaviest trains round Retford but I just didn't know when to stop adding lead. There is little point in adding more than is necessary. Now I know more is needed, I will add some and hopefully succeed fully next time.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

24 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Like these..............

Regards,

Tony. 

My two Hornby B1s are boxed away at present so I can't check whether they have spoked or disc tender wheels.

46 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

The Markits catalogue lists 14mm and 16mm disks - If my maths is correct then 3'8" should be a smidge under 15mm - so would 14mm coach wheels work?

20 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Am I being too picky? I have a thing about the right wheels.

45 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Hmmmmmmm.

Also available in OO.  ½" tyre wear. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

Gibson4844Disks-001-EditSm.jpg.a1bea3c8dfc65ed7675838232fe26088.jpg

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roger Sunderland said:

There's a box full of them at the Bachmann factory that they are going to fit to the tenders of the 'Precedents' :jester: 

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Anybody spot that "Valour" has the wrong tender wheels? 12 spoke instead of 13. If anybody knows where I can get some nice 13 spoke tender wheels suitable for EM gauge, I will be happy to alter it.

It did well with the big train on the level but couldn't quite manage the curve and the small hump where the GN crosses the GCR fiddle yard.

There is plenty of room for more weight. It is still at the testing and proving trials stage, so it isn't the finished article just yet. I always wanted it to be able to pull the heaviest trains round Retford but I just didn't know when to stop adding lead. There is little point in adding more than is necessary. Now I know more is needed, I will add some and hopefully succeed fully next time.

It looked superb Tony,

My compliments. 

I admire your intention to paint it in full GC livery yourself. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 65179 said:

Looking at Yeadon, 61001 and 61009 had them for starters. Doncaster managed to swap around the disc/spoked tender wheels on some LNER built 8Fs/O6s with the non-LNER built ones within a year or two of building. If that happened in that small fleet then caution is needed when dealing with larger classes.

Simon

When I built an O Gauge Black Five for John Emerson, according to the info we had (the locomotive depicted as running in 1967/'68) the leading pair of wheels on its tender were discs and the other four were spoked! Which is what I fitted.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

It looked superb Tony,

My compliments. 

I admire your intention to paint it in full GC livery yourself. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony.

It is certainly my intention to have a go at the livery. If I fail to reach a good enough level of finish I may bite the bullet and take it back to bare metal and let one of our proper painters do their stuff.

It is a bit daunting but I feel the need to at least give it a good try to see if I can do it before I give up.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

When I built an O Gauge Black Five for John Emerson, according to the info we had (the locomotive depicted as running in 1967/'68) the leading pair of wheels on its tender were discs and the other four were spoked! Which is what I fitted.

Regards,

Tony. 

Preserved U Class No.1618 entered preservation with 2 spoked wheelsets & 1 disc set on its tender from Barry & BR. it ran on the Bluebell thus fitted for several years before overhaul.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Depending on how the tender rides, I've either used 14mm discs or 16mm discs, hoping folk won't notice (nobody has, yet). 

7 hours ago, MarkC said:

Using 14mm discs, they're probably pretty much correct across the flanges anyway in OO/EM.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! :D

I always go down a size, for two reasons:

- overscale flanges in 00.

- wheels get smaller after turning.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4