Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

11 hours ago, t-b-g said:

It may be a bit late to be reviewing an item for a magazine when as far as I can see, they are sold out already. I always thought reviews were mainly to let a potential purchaser know if it was a good thing to buy or not. Telling them how good a model is that they can't possibly obtain just seems like kicking somebody when they are down.

I suggested the Stanier Pacific for a friend who has a WCML layout. We had a look and the only ones available seem to be those that people with an eye for a quick profit have snapped up and are now reselling on a certain auction site for the best part of £500.

It is a shame as they do look very impressive but that sort of blatant profiteering sticks in my (and his) throat and he will do without!

The way things are these days it seems to be a fairly frequent scenario. I remember mentioning it 2 or 3 years ago and taking a similar view to the one you express. I was put in my place. At least the review will give folks an idea if what to expect so that they can be ready for another run, albeit almost certainly of a different class member. I would have thought by now that anyone with a serious interest in a particular model would know that pre-ordering is almost essential for most locomotives. As for profiteering, we live in a capitalist society for better or worse. It amazes me the lengths that some people will go to to make a few bob. It does work the other way round. I bought an FIA 10001 for under half price about three years after they were first issued.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

The way things are these days it seems to be a fairly frequent scenario.

Since in many cases pre-ordering is the only way to stand any chance of securing a model new, purchasing RTR has become a form of gambling. One has to study form, mindful that previous performance is no guarantee of future success. As to reviews, the newspapers evidently feel that folk are sufficiently interested to report on the Grand National after it has been run.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It was a question, Andrew,

Obviously, might I surmise, in your case, the answer is 'no'?

Which would you put as the 'best'/'finest' OO Gauge RTR loco ever? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning Tony,

I don't have enough experience of handling modern RTR to pick a best. I have noticed that the larger pacific locomotives  generally contain far more compromises, inaccuracies and toy like features than some of the smaller locomotives.

On another note, the metal bodies look very well detailed but ironically they are rather let down by a plasticky looking finish. Beige pipework, what's that all about?

Your O gauge build of 45305 is a cracker though.

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Oh dear, I have just four words for you:  Norfolk Southern Horseshoe Curve

They managed it twice in three weeks.

Oh dear.

Any railway modeller could have told them that you don't put the light items of stock at the front of the train.

Perhaps they should have put some lead into the underframe!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

. As to reviews, the newspapers evidently feel that folk are sufficiently interested to report on the Grand National after it has been run.

That’s a report of an event, not a review.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

What am I supposed to do in these circumstances? Having never kicked somebody when they're down (well, not in the literal sense), I'm rather stumped.

Both models arrived for review at the beginning of this week. BRM goes 'to press' after this weekend, so there was no chance of their making the very next issue. They'll be in the one after that.

I agree, if all have been sold (to collectors?), then anything I write will be superfluous (though the moving footage of both these locos hauling enormous trains might prove to be entertaining, if nothing else).

I, too, dislike blatant profiteering. The best part of £500.00? These two will probably go as prizes or donations to charity.

Regards,

Tony. 

I don't know what you should do Tony.

If magazines want to publish reviews of models that people can't buy, then somebody has to write them. It might as well be you!

It just seems a shame to devote space in a magazine to end up with the conclusion "This is a superb model but you probably won't be able to get one by the time you read this".

I would prefer to see it written up as a modelling article, dealing with a bit of super detailing and weathering. That could say how good the original model is as part of it.

It really isn't a problem for me as I rarely buy magazines nowadays (apart from MRJ) and my purchases of RTR models over the last 20 years can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

When Airfix launched its class 31 at the London toy fair, many years ago, they demonstrated it hauling around 100 of their Mk2 coaches. Though it was on a long straight track laid on the floor.

I remember seeing a photo of a Hornby-Dublo Deltic hauling a trolley carrying Frankie Vaughan, the entertainer. Probably about 1962?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Anyway, the answer will be academic, because how many would want to run 30+ carriages in a single train, even on a layout depicting wartime? 

Please Sir, I would! It's not at all prototypical, but it's good fun (and a good test of track, couplings etc).

71 coaches with a pair of Farish diesels (no traction tyres).

We were quite pleased with ourselves until someone on another layout asked if they could try their 0-6-0 tender driven loco from Union Mills on it - we knew they had a good reputation for haulage but we were all surprised when it managed the whole train by itself.

Steven B.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

What am I supposed to do in these circumstances? Having never kicked somebody when they're down (well, not in the literal sense), I'm rather stumped.

Both models arrived for review at the beginning of this week. BRM goes 'to press' after this weekend, so there was no chance of their making the very next issue. They'll be in the one after that.

I agree, if all have been sold (to collectors?), then anything I write will be superfluous (though the moving footage of both these locos hauling enormous trains might prove to be entertaining, if nothing else).

I, too, dislike blatant profiteering. The best part of £500.00? These two will probably go as prizes or donations to charity.

Regards,

Tony. 

I wouldn’t worry a jot about it Tony. I like to read expert reviews of model railway items  - whether the item is readily available or not isn’t your problem. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

Regards,

Tony. 

These models are likely to be repeated next year in a different livery so at least people will be fore warned as to the quality of the original release and feel they can pre-order one knowing that the first release was good and possibly not miss out next time.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Out walking with the lads yesterday. Started at Ampleforth College, and just happened to come across R&DSME Gilling East on route.

Good spot for a lunch stop. On benches, sunshine, fresh air and a B1 running around - great stuff.

Dave

DSC05933.JPG.01bf223063bffc8e53351e7292bed3b2.JPG

DSC05930.JPG.81266a8be9e73e8ec31feb046ab0c696.JPG

• Like 14

10 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I don't know what you should do Tony.

If magazines want to publish reviews of models that people can't buy, then somebody has to write them. It might as well be you!

It just seems a shame to devote space in a magazine to end up with the conclusion "This is a superb model but you probably won't be able to get one by the time you read this".

I would prefer to see it written up as a modelling article, dealing with a bit of super detailing and weathering. That could say how good the original model is as part of it.

It really isn't a problem for me as I rarely buy magazines nowadays (apart from MRJ) and my purchases of RTR models over the last 20 years can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Thanks Tony,

It's crossed my mind whether to take (at least one of) the models further, probably the 'Semi'. The green definitely needs altering (varnish and weathering) and etched brass deflectors would look finer than the plastic ones (though those aren't bad). Definitely new bogie wheels (which I have in stock), and the fitting of the extra bits as well. Etched nameplates? Or, renumbering/renaming (several of the non-streamlined locos as built had streamlined tenders fitted). 

Of course the collectors will be up in arms because I'll have 'destroyed' it forever with regard to that market (I personally couldn't give a fig!). 

What to do with it afterwards? As far as I'm aware, only CITY OF BRADFORD and CITY OF LONDON ever ran though Little Bytham. Where might its enormous powers be needed? Does Shap have a model of 46252, Graham?

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

They might be sold out now but that doesn't mean their success in doing so doesn't prompt Hornby to do another run of them.

No you’re right, that’s why I said ‘likely’, but if the first batch sold well before getting  rave reviews I would imagine it could be expected that a second run would be produced. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tony,

It's crossed my mind whether to take (at least one of) the models further, probably the 'Semi'. The green definitely needs altering (varnish and weathering) and etched brass deflectors would look finer than the plastic ones (though those aren't bad). Definitely new bogie wheels (which I have in stock), and the fitting of the extra bits as well. Etched nameplates? Or, renumbering/renaming (several of the non-streamlined locos as built had streamlined tenders fitted). 

Of course the collectors will be up in arms because I'll have 'destroyed' it forever with regard to that market (I personally couldn't give a fig!). 

What to do with it afterwards? As far as I'm aware, only CITY OF BRADFORD and CITY OF LONDON ever ran though Little Bytham. Where might its enormous powers be needed? Does Shap have a model of 46252, Graham?

Regards,

Tony.  

The collectors might be pleased. A reduction in the number of "mint boxed" examples might put the value of theirs up.

I, for one, would certainly like to see a weathered/improved version. I think the green as supplied is really not showing the model at its best and a few details fixed plus a nice weathering job could lift it to another level.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

I have all three of the recent die-cast Hornby Dublo engines and enjoy them because they look great, are fine examples of short-run production, are beautifully packaged and represent the steam age beautifully. They also remind me of 1950s Hornby Dublo from my childhood, the best parts of it...  like learning how to calculate the scale speed of a 1:76 model, in my head, with a stop watch or watch with a second hand, so that it the train was covering say 30 lengths of 3-rail track , about 30 feet, in 25 seconds... .

88ft/sec  divided by 76 hmm about 1.2 ft/sec, near enough to a mile a minute, but the other kids at school didn't care, they were building Spitfires or whatever :)

To characterise buyers of these models as collectors and imply that the motivation is profit is wide of the mark in my opinion.

edited picture

35011_MN_night_portrait2_2abc_r2080a.jpg.78efa8f01cc2650ed20342b6ca50f2c7.jpg

What joy! 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

And, of course, you'll be writing for a 'modelling' magazine rather than a 'collecting' magazine so would it matter? I'm sure modellers would be more interested in reading how to go about some constructional improvement tweaks and collectors would be less likely to purchase and read the magazine anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, robmcg said:

I have all three of the recent die-cast Hornby Dublo engines and enjoy them because they look great, are fine examples of short-run production, are beautifully packaged and represent the steam age beautifully. They also remind me of 1950s Hornby Dublo from my childhood, the best parts of it...  like learning how to calculate the scale speed of a 1:76 model, in my head, with a stop watch or watch with a second hand, so that it the train was covering say 30 lengths of 3-rail track , about 30 feet, in 25 seconds... .

88ft/sec  divided by 76 hmm about 1.2 ft/sec, near enough to a mile a minute, but the other kids at school didn't care, they were building Spitfires or whatever :)

To characterise buyers of these models as collectors and imply that the motivation is profit is wide of the mark in my opinion.

edited picture

35011_MN_night_portrait2_2abc_r2080a.jpg.78efa8f01cc2650ed20342b6ca50f2c7.jpg

What joy! 

The number of models already on sale on auction sites, surprisingly all for the same amount of £495, would suggest that at least some people are trying to make a quick profit on these items but I wouldn't suggest that it is everybody who bought them. I am sure some made the purchase because they just like them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Spam Cans, nice one there Robmcg - £500 - I think not for me.

This is my Tri-ang TT "Clan Line" round about 1964 or so. I think she cost around 25 bob new (tender was extra at four and a tanner !!)

I still have the loco & box and she still runs, over 55 years old. Will the very expensive Hornby OO loco last as long  ? I hope it will.

2013-01-25-15-43-00.jpg.16b4d93e502436e2514bf107ade8a86b.jpg

Brit15

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tony,

Regards,

Tony.  

I’d love to see what you could do with the Princess Coronation. Comet bogies, Gibson  pony wheels and etched plates are all quick wins that raise the standard model considerably. I’d be interested to see what can be done to the paintwork too - several members of this forum have demonstrated improvement to the green using varnishes. 

A model worked on by you will have have a greater value than a standard HD collectors piece too - at least to those of us who appreciate your craftsmanship. 

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1