Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Barclay,

I don't know how many four-coupled mechanisms I've built, but it's certainly not as many as six-, eight- or ten-coupled; which reflects what would have been seen on the ECML in my chosen period. I'm trying to think, but a couple of D9s, several D11s, a couple of D2s/D3s, a few D16s, a D20, a D21, quite a few D49s, plus a few four-coupled from other railways. I've always found them harder to get running really sweetly because of a tendency for the rods to get out of the pure horizontal position from time to time. This can cause a slight jerk, where one rod catches up so to speak. This doesn't happen with rigid rods on six-coupled or more because the rods are (as near as makes no difference) always horizontal.  On the DJH 8F I made last year, the rods were arranged as rigid for the first three axles then a separate set for the rear one. Those last two wheels then were trying to 'catch up' as it were, until I soldered all the rods rigid. The result, super-smooth running. 

It could well be my ineptitude at building, of course, which I accept. However, I know what works for me.

Regards,

Tony.  

I was interested to read of your observations.  I think for a four-coupled locomotive could be more prone to binding due to 1.  Mis-matched coupling rod hole centres and 2. Excess slop between pins and holes-I think that a close fit is required here.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2021 at 20:59, Tony Wright said:

I'm just assessing Hornby's latest Mk. 1 manifestations - the BCKs...................

1837078169_HornbyMark1BCKR40023R4002301.jpg.3bbae1a9988235e832fd1252040a5d48.jpg

I've taken off the tension-lock from the brake end and fitted the dummy buckeye. 

Isn't a bit strange to have the bars on the Guards Droplight? What's he supposed to do, open his door to look out? As his little cupboard is fully separated from the van portion I can see no need for the bars....

As for the two kits I need to collect I must fix a time with you Tony!

Andy G

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Barclay,

I don't know how many four-coupled mechanisms I've built, but it's certainly not as many as six-, eight- or ten-coupled; which reflects what would have been seen on the ECML in my chosen period. I'm trying to think, but a couple of D9s, several D11s, a couple of D2s/D3s, a few D16s, a D20, a D21, quite a few D49s, plus a few four-coupled from other railways. I've always found them harder to get running really sweetly because of a tendency for the rods to get out of the pure horizontal position from time to time. This can cause a slight jerk, where one rod catches up so to speak. This doesn't happen with rigid rods on six-coupled or more because the rods are (as near as makes no difference) always horizontal.  On the DJH 8F I made last year, the rods were arranged as rigid for the first three axles then a separate set for the rear one. Those last two wheels then were trying to 'catch up' as it were, until I soldered all the rods rigid. The result, super-smooth running. 

It could well be my ineptitude at building, of course, which I accept. However, I know what works for me.

Regards,

Tony.  

No ineptitude implied or inferred, I do assure you !

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to Tony for the invitation and opportunity to come and play trains yesterday on the wonderful Little Bytham.  

It really is an absolutely splendid model.   Although technically it is just a few years too early to match my train spotting days (in the early to mid 60's) a bit further down the line, it takes me right back in an instant.    Looking down at a long rake of rusting 16T mineral wagons trundling slowly by I could easily have been standing on the lattice footbridge across the north end of Oakleigh Park station once again.  I could almost smell the creosote of the floor boards - fantastic.

Bridge.JPG.4c49d330c8b61a418d4dfe915f76a71b.JPG

Anyway, thank you once again Tony for a most enjoyable day and also to "Brian the Taxi" for getting me there and back.    

I'm already looking forward to the next visit, can't wait!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Well I’d call you another name but that’s not suitable for RMWEB. 

Wow Tony, thank you so much, I’ve always fancied a c12, looks like an order to DJH soon. Did you want me to buy one and get it delivered to you for the D2? 

I'm puzzled, Jesse,

Why would I need something for the D2? It's all here. 

Along with the other bits (posted this morning) I've sent you all the parts (Craftsman and scratch) to build a C12 body, as well as bogie/pony bits from SEF. You just need a set of C12 frames (SEF), wheels and motor to build a C12 then; at your leisure.................... 

Regards,

Tony. 

40 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm puzzled, Jesse,

Why would I need something for the D2? It's all here. 

Along with the other bits (posted this morning) I've sent you all the parts (Craftsman and scratch) to build a C12 body, as well as bogie/pony bits from SEF. You just need a set of C12 frames (SEF), wheels and motor to build a C12 then; at your leisure.................... 

Regards,

Tony. 

I thought the old motor out of the D2 might not be suitable for DCC….you know that wonderful new technology that you love. 

• Funny 4

20 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I thought the old motor out of the D2 might not be suitable for DCC….you know that wonderful new technology that you love. 

Ah, that's it.

Don't worry, I have a DCC-friendly motor solution. 

I still have the chip here from the V2 (no, I didn't immediately chuck it away!), so I'll fit that. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I want a chassis for my D2, but mine is a car.

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Ah, that's it.

Don't worry, I have a DCC-friendly motor solution. 

I still have the chip here from the V2 (no, I didn't immediately chuck it away!), so I'll fit that. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I am shocked that it wasn’t stamped on, set alight, cursed at, thrown around the house, eaten by the cat and run over by the car. I’m proud of you, might make a DCC modeller out of you. There’s hope! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, 60027Merlin said:

Another one of Tony's sale of kits a month or so ago. 

It was finished off as Hornet's Beauty, but this name was already represented by another kit running on the layout so it was changed to one of the most northerly based Pacifics on the ECML being a regular visitor to the Waverley and Haymarket Shed.

Some more details were added to finish it off for the late 50s plus a couple of coats of Klear to give it more depth. It is a very good runner and fits in fine. Yet another loco, when will it end!

2057855173_A260531Bahram.JPG.4d4cc86c6615c2bfb8005b2e9480af98.JPG

Good to see it gone to a wonderful new home, Eric.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, PupCam said:

Many thanks to Tony for the invitation and opportunity to come and play trains yesterday on the wonderful Little Bytham.  

Anyway, thank you once again Tony for a most enjoyable day and also to "Brian the Taxi" for getting me there and back.    

I'm already looking forward to the next visit, can't wait!

I'd like to second this - many thanks to Tony, Mo (for allowing Tony to escape the joys of decorating - or perhaps to avoid the lounge being painted in Doncaster Green :laugh: ) and Ian - for very kindly allowing us to visit and see his very fine layouts).

Alan ("Puppers") and I got to play trays with Tony on Little Bytham for the day - and a very fine day it was too.  Many thanks Tony.

All I need to do now is source a Chauffeur's Cap as instructed for my next tour of duty :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/09/2021 at 08:19, robertcwp said:

But in reality not all regions changed at the same time. The LMR started outshopping stock in maroon a bit earlier in 1956 going by contemporary reports, which is perhaps not surprising as it was essentially the old LMS livery with simpler lining. The first all-maroon sets on the Eastern were the Talisman sets when that service launched in September 1956. York and Doncaster works were reported as still using crimson and cream in the summer of 1956.  I have seen it suggested that the Eastern considered a return to mock teak but have not seen any official documentation to that effect. Mark 1 FOs E3076-80 and BSOs up to E9315 were crimson and cream when new in 1956.

Interesting that you mention a return to teak. In August 1956 I travelled with my parents from Newcastle-under-Lyme to Newcastle-on-Tyne, and thence to Tyne Dock. We changed trains at Newcastle for the journey down to the docks where the two highlights were that I could underline 26501 in my book, and that the coach next to ours had been newly painted into mock teak. I can remember the smell of its new paint to this day. It was steel bodied, side corridor and possibly a brake - my memory is vague on the latter point.

Ian R

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

Most-generously donated by Tony Teague, I'm offering this kit for sale for CRUK.

1534378126_CSP4ModelsHawthornLeslie0-4-0ST.jpg.0148e50a1d9c6a8a7f9d61f162c73735.jpg

It's not been started and comes complete with Markits driving wheels, axles (OO) and crankpins, plus a High-Level gearbox and motor. 

I'm asking £80.00. Anyone interested, please PM me (I'll pay the postage costs).

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Interesting that you mention a return to teak. In August 1956 I travelled with my parents from Newcastle-under-Lyme to Newcastle-on-Tyne, and thence to Tyne Dock. We changed trains at Newcastle for the journey down to the docks where the two highlights were that I could underline 26501 in my book, and that the coach next to ours had been newly painted into mock teak. I can remember the smell of its new paint to this day. It was steel bodied, side corridor and possibly a brake - my memory is vague on the latter point.

Ian R

Thanks for that anecdote Ian,

I wonder how long teak-painted/varnished/brown-painted ex-LNER carriages lasted into BR days. 

You have the advantage over me of a few years, but I can recall travelling from Kiveton Park to Retford (a year or two after your trip to Tyneside) behind a wheezing 'Director' in some arcane non-corridor stock which I'm sure was not in crimson or maroon. In fact, it was often so dirty it was impossible to detect any colour apart from brown/grey. Of course, a year later, the same trip was inside a spanking new DMU (which we 'spotters preferred because you could see out of the front windows!). 

I honestly doubt if that old Gresley stock (which could have even been pre-Grouping) would have been repainted in crimson or maroon, but I never took any pictures. I've looked through my numerous books which show Retford (usually KRP's pictures) but cannot find any definitive images. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

The latest photo I have of a Gresley carriage definitively in teak is from the summer of 1956, in one of the Dr. Ian Allen collections.   Pregrouping vehicles were slated for early withdrawal and were ordered to be painted brown instead of crimson/crimson and cream.

Thanks Jonathan,

806207632_carriagecolour04.jpg.9353b0903cb10ed4f32862796721512f.jpg

The set behind this B1 at Retford might well be one of those I travelled on as described earlier (B1s certainly stopped at Kiveton Park). Its colour, of course, is impossible to detect, though the steel-sided twin in the siding looks good in carmine/cream.

1898729066_carriagecolour05.jpg.230bf440a9364c805cade2f2117c5a6b.jpg

These Gresleys will definitely still be in teak (about 1950) and will (I imagine) soon be repainted in carmine/cream.

But, it's often impossible to deduce actual colours from B&W shots....................

731341524_carriagecolour01.jpg.503efbc0feb45c431952e2e6b6f28aef.jpg

88287593_carriagecolour02.jpg.ee5adbc28c9d71f653a78c6a5914a9f1.jpg

281693238_carriagecolour03.jpg.6b8190f2e967606ef36b2366e494d4e3.jpg

Please (all) observe copyright restriction with regard to the images above.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Got spraying issues.

I found that too many leaky connectors made spraying difficult, and the large compressor was running constantly with lots of air leak noise. So I removed them and coupled my air brush up to the small hose into the big one.

Much to much pressure now, and it also let moisture through.

Smaller compressor now ordered which is more controllable.

Got 5 grey DMU cars to add blue to and 3 carriages so far to go maroon.

Maroon or Carmine. In the end I decided by shininess!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

This week I ordered some of the "Albert Goodall" range of Bulleid detailing parts from RT models. I was very pleased with the speed of service and set about improving the first of my upgrades, Calstock.

The main job is removing the cast representation of the ash-pan from the pony truck, and then substituting the Albert Goodall replacement, which goes a long way to making the model look more convincing. I also added the Goodall cylinder drain pipes which were never included with the Hornby model, although they did do them for the subsequent rebuilt WCs and original Merchant Navies. Normally I would solder up my own, but with four locos to do, I thought it was worth the trouble of ordering the etch.

The pipes should tuck in behind the front steps but if they do I can't quite get Calstock to run without fouling the bogie, so I've compromised and run the pipes to the outside.

The greenhouse, if anyone's interested, is a rather nice Severn Models etch.

calstock.jpg.72996c7adf89d7d10668dc4ca8ff6948.jpg

calstock2.jpg.0618efe80fd22fb747a24308513ce875.jpg

Al

It's very convincing Al,

Thanks for showing us.

CALSTOCK revives a memory for me; a memory of being shouted at by a railway employee after my brother and I trespassed beyond the ramp of Salisbury's Down main platform to catch its number/name. It would be the late summer of 1964 and it was already dark. 34103 (though we didn't know it straight away) was simmering, light engine about 100 yards away, smokebox towards us. In the dark, it was impossible to get its number at that distance, so we ran to see it, luckily just before it ambled off to the shed. On our return into the light, we were soundly scolded, but it was worth it because CALSTOCK was a 'cop', and I never saw it again! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been informed (very nicely) that Calstock needs the later type of ash pan, so back on the bench she comes. What a minefield these things are. I think I'm going for the full house of mistakes so far: wrong tender, scrolls too low, now the ash pan. And all because I ended up with two Blandfords and wanted to rename one of them to a loco that ran on the S&D!

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I've been informed (very nicely) that Calstock needs the later type of ash pan, so back on the bench she comes. What a minefield these things are. I think I'm going for the full house of mistakes so far: wrong tender, scrolls too low, now the ash pan. And all because I ended up with two Blandfords and wanted to rename one of them to a loco that ran on the S&D!

The perils of research! I am currently undertaking a rebuild of a 4mm EFE bus, a scrapper my grandson has let me liberate from his toy box in exchange for a replacement. The more I look at photos of Bristol VRTs to try to get things approximately right the more I find anomalies in the bodywork. In one image even the rear view mirrors have been swapped from standard, rectangular on the nearside (standard) but a round one on the driver's side. Given the number plates will be unreadable from any distance at least with a bus the absolute accuracy of minor details will be less noticeable than on a loco.

Edited by john new
Added link
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It's very convincing Al,

Thanks for showing us.

CALSTOCK revives a memory for me; a memory of being shouted at by a railway employee after my brother and I trespassed beyond the ramp of Salisbury's Down main platform to catch its number/name. It would be the late summer of 1964 and it was already dark. 34103 (though we didn't know it straight away) was simmering, light engine about 100 yards away, smokebox towards us. In the dark, it was impossible to get its number at that distance, so we ran to see it, luckily just before it ambled off to the shed. On our return into the light, we were soundly scolded, but it was worth it because CALSTOCK was a 'cop', and I never saw it again! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Calstock was my personal bete noir in my spotting days. I copped all one hundred and forty Bulleid Pacifics, and separately noted one hundred and thirty-nine of them passing through my home station of Axminster.

Guess which one ruined my record! Even more galling was being greeted (more than once) by my pals with the news that it had gone up one or two trains before I arrived on parade. Timing is everything.....

John

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3