Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Regarding the BR crest introduced in mid 1956. It was derived from the crest (the bit above the helmet) of the BTC Coat of Arms -

141D3FE0-D7B0-4025-8D2B-60D52E653FDA.jpeg.9114d95c87e8e029215c8be31dfe758f.jpeg

As it is an heraldic device it can only exist in the form granted by the College of Arms but I presume BR didn’t realise that so RH & LH versions were used for both locos and coaches (I have photos of the coach version, and Fox now produce the transfers). The situation only existed for six months so from early 1957 only the LH versions were used (there is much photographic evidence for this). The 1959 date in ‘Blood and Custard’ must be an error.  I don’t know how one would decide which side of a coach gets which version.

One of the NRM’s many livery errors was to give the ‘Duchess of Hamilton’ a RH crest even though it didn’t get its Crimson Lake livery until 1958.

The cycling ferret was NEVER a crest. It was an emblem, badge or logo.

Ian R

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold

Going by the number of their locos that are to be seen with "handed" lions in photographs, the Southern Region either did an awful lot of repainting (and possibly rebadging of recent repaints) in the months before the situation was clarified, or winged it to use up their stock of right-facing transfers for a while afterwards....

John

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Regarding the BR crest introduced in mid 1956. It was derived from the crest (the bit above the helmet) of the BTC Coat of Arms -

141D3FE0-D7B0-4025-8D2B-60D52E653FDA.jpeg.9114d95c87e8e029215c8be31dfe758f.jpeg

As it is an heraldic device it can only exist in the form granted by the College of Arms but I presume BR didn’t realise that so RH & LH versions were used for both locos and coaches (I have photos of the coach version, and Fox now produce the transfers). The situation only existed for six months so from early 1957 only the LH versions were used (there is much photographic evidence for this). The 1959 date in ‘Blood and Custard’ must be an error.  I don’t know how one would decide which side of a coach gets which version.

One of the NRM’s many livery errors was to give the ‘Duchess of Hamilton’ a RH crest even though it didn’t get its Crimson Lake livery until 1958.

The cycling ferret was NEVER a crest. It was an emblem, badge or logo.

Ian R

Hello Ian,

Many thanks - this is very informative. 

Mark

Edited by Mark90
Spelling error
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Going by the number of their locos that are to be seen with "handed" lions in photographs, the Southern Region either did an awful lot of repainting (and possibly rebadging of recent repaints) in the months before the situation was clarified, or winged it to use up their stock of right-facing transfers for a while afterwards....

John

I suspect the latter and that the same applied on other regions too.

There is a BTF film about carriage cleaners which shows a right-facing roundel on a maroon Mark 1.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

I suspect the latter and that the same applied on other regions too.

There is a BTF film about carriage cleaners which shows a right-facing roundel on a maroon Mark 1.

I strongly suspect that the film has been reversed in such a shot.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

I have a question, or several.

A friend has left some items for me to sell, with most of the proceeds going to charity. I'm examining them, and they include a Kirk 'Quint' non-gangwayed set (nicely made/painted in BR crimson, but no lettering). I'm told Kirk stuff goes for 'daft' money on Ebay. Can anyone suggest a price? I'll take pictures. There are also some non-gangwayed Kirk Gresleys in teak, but the (plastic) trussing is damaged. Again, I'll take pictures.

There are also three Metropolitan 'Dreadnought' carriages (the kits made by a shop in Harrow I'm told). The painting on these is hideous, but they can be stripped and repainted. They don't seem badly made. 

Does anyone know anything about Trackmaster Models? They were made in England by Pyramid Toys Ltd. There are five boxed examples (vans and open wagons) showing three shillings and sixpence as the price on one. They're in good condition; are they collectable? If so, is anyone interested?

There's an Exley LMS carriage, with slight damage. Again, I'll take its picture.

What's a Bachmann split chassis B1 worth? And, a similar J39? Both work well.

Any thoughts, please.

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, richard i said:

Close to Several hundred for the quint if eBay prices are any thing to go by.

split chassis locos go for 40-50 pds depending on condition or there abouts.

All approximates.

richard 

Thanks Richard,

You can see the set on Wednesday.

Here are a couple of the other items............

2054916083_Dreadnoughtcarriage.jpg.8c5ca2b0f6511e58ce43161f2dcb5b2b.jpg

This is one of a trio of Met' 'Dreadnoughts' (each as bad, paint-wise, as the others). They're cast metal, so stripping shouldn't be a problem. 

1643305027_ExleyLMScarriage.jpg.6d6537da8075f1ba85209503d299ece5.jpg

And the Exley (at least I think it's an Exley). Do folk restore these? I said it had 'slight damage' in a previous post; oh dear, contravention of the Trades Descriptions Act? 

I'll post more pictures tomorrow. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Does anyone know anything about Trackmaster Models? They were made in England by Pyramid Toys Ltd. There are five boxed examples (vans and open wagons) showing three shillings and sixpence as the price on one. They're in good condition; are they collectable? If so, is anyone interested?

Trackmaster was made c1947-50. Pyramid toys did sets with a clockwork N2 tank, a 7-plank open and a box van both available in GWR and LNER guise. The original wagons had cast metal non-insulated wheels. Some later opens came with coal loads and some came with Hornby Dublo couplings. 

The tooling was bought by Rovex in 1951.

The Pat Hammond book lists prices in the Rovex Tri-ang Hornby section. The original version of the wagons is listed at £12 for mint boxed. HD couplings or coal loads are higher.

A pity there isn't an 0-6-2T as these are listed at £95-£125 for the various versions.

Eric

• Thanks 1

I'll be taking a picture of the Kirk Gresley Quint set later (I'm off to operated an HO American layout today), and I'll be putting a price on it. 

As for the other items; is anyone interested in the 'Dreadnoughts'? I thought £15.00 each, given their poor painting. Please PM me if anyone would like them. I thought £12.00 for the Exley. 

Regarding the Trackmaster wagons, a fiver each?

There's also a Crescent round water tank (in excellent condition). Are these collectable? 

I'll be posting more pictures later. 

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2021 at 20:24, Tony Wright said:

1643305027_ExleyLMScarriage.jpg.6d6537da8075f1ba85209503d299ece5.jpg

And the Exley (at least I think it's an Exley). Do folk restore these? I said it had 'slight damage' in a previous post; oh dear, contravention of the Trades Descriptions Act? 

I'll post more pictures tomorrow. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I’m pretty sure that’s an Exley, the overall style and corridor bellows look almost identical to a GWR coach my father had. For their time they were highly desirable (and expensive) I think they did a brake and also a dining car in the same style in GWR livery too as well as LMS.  I can’t recall seeing ads for them in LNER  or Southern liveries, but I suspect those too were available.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, PMP said:

I’m pretty sure that’s an Exley, the overall style and corridor bellows look almost identical to a GWR coach my father had. For their time they were highly desirable (and expensive) I think they did a brake and also a dining car in the same style in GWR livery too as well as LMS.  I can’t recall seeing ads for them in LNER  or Southern liveries, but I suspect those too were available.

Thanks Paul,

The reason why I'm not sure is that there's no Exley maker's mark on the underside. Other Exleys (and whatever railway they purported to represent, they were just LMS cars) I've had, all had the Exley provenance.

You're right about the price. I once called in at the Exley shop in Baslow (nearly 50 years ago) and Exley carriages were selling at about £25.00 each. There were some LMS carriages painted in teak, yet they were the same price! 

I'm pleased to say the trio of Dreadnoughts has sold. Despite the shocking paintwork, they run rather well on their distinctive shorty bogies. The new owner is looking forward to resurrecting them.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As promised, a shot of the Kirk Quint set........

1256838968_QuintSet.jpg.e707e3bc6c0c39e1fb7371b63947e05b.jpg

The chap who owns this is suffering from cancer himself, and most of the proceeds from its sale will go to CRUK. 

He didn't build it (builder unknown) but it's 'adequately-made' and runs well on its pin-point bogies and Jackson wheels. It needs lettering/numbering. 

Having been told of some of the current prices asked for Kirk kits (made and unmade) I've put a price of £175.00 on this. Anyone interested, please PM me. 

Another carriage in the collection is this.............

708946326_Gresleynon-gangwayedBrakeThird.jpg.0de7bdc920d12826ffd96645f2e20826.jpg

It's a Kirk Gresley non-gangwayed Brake 3rd (a type made now by Hornby RTR). It was in a very sorry state with poorly-made bogies and the underframe all broken. I've tidied it up and weathered it, and I think it's now 'presentable', though it needs its number completed. Given that a similar (but much better) vehicle is now available RTR, I wonder what this might be worth? 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2