Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

On a different subject, can anyone tell me what this might be, please?

943362409_mysterycarriage.jpg.f26d0e2232be86938a42daf83cbb6d37.jpg

It's from a different collection, and is up for sale (all proceeds to CRUK). 

I have no idea of its origins, though it's either kit- or scratch-built from plastic (builder unknown). The bogies are plastic, though run well.

Is it a model of an actual prototype or a flight of fancy? If it is representative of a real vehicle, then it might have some value (£20.00?). If not, I'll give it away.

Any help or expressions of interest, much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJI said:

Are there any LNER Pacifics still to do for LB?

An interesting question Martin,

Certainly, none is needed (there are over 70), but I still enjoy building them.

Looking at my stash of kits, there's another A3, another A4 and four A1s; enough to keep me busy for the time being, especially now I've decided I can still build them!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

On a different subject, can anyone tell me what this might be, please?

943362409_mysterycarriage.jpg.f26d0e2232be86938a42daf83cbb6d37.jpg

It's from a different collection, and is up for sale (all proceeds to CRUK). 

I have no idea of its origins, though it's either kit- or scratch-built from plastic (builder unknown). The bogies are plastic, though run well.

Is it a model of an actual prototype or a flight of fancy? If it is representative of a real vehicle, then it might have some value (£20.00?). If not, I'll give it away.

Any help or expressions of interest, much appreciated.

It looks like a K's GW passenger luggage van of diagram K something. I've built a few including one, years ago in SR livery (shame on me).

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Denbridge said:

It looks like a K's GW passenger luggage van of diagram K something. I've built a few including one, years ago in SR livery (shame on me).

Many thanks,

So, definitely not LNER then?

Oh well, I'll find someone to give it to, or perhaps a repaint might be in order?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks,

So, definitely not LNER then?

Oh well, I'll find someone to give it to, or perhaps a repaint might be in order?

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, definitely not LNER :D

It's a K15 if I remember correctly built during William Dean's tenure as GWR CME.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, richard i said:

The A3 looks really good, though it is a good thing you are farming out the painting. Your attempt on the tender side is well below what you used to be able to do.

all in jest

richard 

You're quite right Richard,

It's a K's P2 tender (streamlined non-corridor type, which suits 60046). I acquired it from somewhere (can't remember where), ready-painted in lined LNER green (well-painted, actually). My plan (which is a discipline I've never really mastered) was to build a streamlined P2 to go with it; but, it never happened. So, rub off the paint (with mixed 'success'). It could well be that Geoff Haynes will strip it, but I'm not sure what it's assembled with; solder, not a problem, but glue............

Unfortunately my post isn't full of jest, but it'll have to do.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

On 30/10/2021 at 13:16, Roger Sunderland said:

Hi Tony

Your comments on waning abilities had me nodding in agreement. About a year ago I developed the same annoying twitch in my right hand when soldering. It was diagnosed as benign essential tremor (BET) which is ,apparently, quite common. 
I’m right handed, mostly, but it has not stopped me building models. Over a period of time I’ve learned to use my left hand more. It helps but if you’re holding an item with the right hand it can still be tricky. I find I use all sorts of gadgets and and tricks to get the job done. All in all , it takes a fair bit longer but nothing’s defeated me -yet!

Good morning Roger,

Yes that seems to have happened to me also but on my left arm/hand. This has been a bit of pain in the bum, particularly when holding parts in place whilst soldering. I have found that if I lay my left forearm flat on the bench as I hold the piece to be soldered (and also attempt to take any tenseness out of my arm), it does help significantly although not altogether. I've also got a tall stool which I use to lean my left elbow on and this helps too in some circumstances.  I'm at present just towards finishing a D&S pigeon van and to be sure, I've not made as good a job of it as I would have a 3 or 4  years back. I suppose we have to accept our limitations when we have no choice. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

now I've decided I can still build them!

Good morning Tony,

How could you doubt yourself? Wonderful work and a great inspiration to average modellers like me.

Keep up the good work please...

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

There is a prototype for a bus on a bridge! :laugh:

Yes, but not a bus on EVERY bridge. Anyway, it's probably a cardboard cut out, designed to mislead future generations of railway modellers.

Nice pic though...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Yes, but not a bus on EVERY bridge. Anyway, it's probably a cardboard cut out, designed to mislead future generations of railway modellers.

Nice pic though...

Mind you, on a model set in the area covered by LT, would only one bus per bridge be enough?:jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Mind you, on a model set in the area covered by LT, would only one bus per bridge be enough?:jester:

John

There's an idea for a multi-pack - a line of punters checking watches and 3 buses, all with the same route number.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

It's not a problem with Tony's vehicles in that shot, but with mine I sometimes find that they don't sit well on the layout terrain. Where necessary, I try to add rocking suspension so that all four wheels touch the ground, as with this EFE bus:

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clem said:

Good morning Roger,

Yes that seems to have happened to me also but on my left arm/hand. This has been a bit of pain in the bum, particularly when holding parts in place whilst soldering. I have found that if I lay my left forearm flat on the bench as I hold the piece to be soldered (and also attempt to take any tenseness out of my arm), it does help significantly although not altogether. I've also got a tall stool which I use to lean my left elbow on and this helps too in some circumstances.  I'm at present just towards finishing a D&S pigeon van and to be sure, I've not made as good a job of it as I would have a 3 or 4  years back. I suppose we have to accept our limitations when we have no choice. 

My commiserations Clem. To many it is an annoying problem but to a modeller it can be extremely frustrating. I note your work around and will give it a try, thank you.  Since the start of the pandemic I’ve built a large number of loco and coach kits. Maybe it’s because I’m forced to take more time over them but I think some are as good as anything I’ve done previously, not all though.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

To quote Flanders and Swan - "We like to go in convoy. Wer'e most gregarious".

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
Punctuation error
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

Now that I have an excuse to do some practical modelling at last, though as my Grandson is only 6 weeks old at present, I am not in a rush, could I pick the assembled brains on this thread on the question of couplings. The plan is to resurrect his father's model of Hemyock, which never got beyond laying track when he no longer had time for it about 30 years ago (a 120 mile round trip to and from school each day, mainly on single track roads does not leave much spare time). The track will need relaying, but the baseboards should be reuseable. Short trains and shunting will be involved, and a 'one engine in steam' policy practiced. I like the sound of the Hunt's couplings, but apart from holding the stock with the dreaded hand, would they be suitable for a lot of uncoupling and recoupling? Is there any automatic uncoupling system with the Hunts? One thing that I have learnt from this thread is to avoid tension locks like the plague! All advice most welcome.

Also advice on best ways to make authentic looking buildings, or where to find it would be very helpful.

I hope Tony does not mind this digression.

Lloyd

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Looks tidy enough to me, Clem.  I don't think you shoudld be worried just yet.

Thanks for the kind words Jonathan. I suppose it's partly that feeling that you've not done something as well as you ought to have done. For example, I didn't get the flange bend on top quite right on one of the sides and had to improvise a solution which luckily works pretty well. The corner joints also leave a bit to be desired. But you are right I think, it will be good enough to serve its purpose as the BY that was included on some of the services of the line. Do you know if Danny is still making these kits? I know he re-released a few of his kits a while ago.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Nice pic though...

But what if EVERYONE has seen this picture? :wink_mini:

I think it’s more of a gimmick or inside joke now between modellers to place a bus on a bridge. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Clem said:

Thanks for the kind words Jonathan. I suppose it's partly that feeling that you've not done something as well as you ought to have done. For example, I didn't get the flange bend on top quite right on one of the sides and had to improvise a solution which luckily works pretty well. The corner joints also leave a bit to be desired. But you are right I think, it will be good enough to serve its purpose as the BY that was included on some of the services of the line. Do you know if Danny is still making these kits? I know he re-released a few of his kits a while ago.

Commiserations, Clem.  I am an admirer of your work, and your approach to modelling.

Keep it up for many years yet, and inspire us all with your layout.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1