Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, MJI said:

Quick what would you do.

For my Cornish branch project I need roughly 16 carriages to get a representative selection

2 are Airfix (B Set)

2 are Mousa sides on a right mix with one more needed

2 would be Comet (late Collett B Set)

Got a Collett BTK

Question 1 is on the Mark 1s, what are Comet underframes like for Mark 1, how do they compare to RTR, or even my Plastruct underframe L sections?

Would it be worth just getting sides onto RTR?

Question 2 a corridor train, 2 are Comet a third would be, the last could be Comet or Hornby RTR, what would you do?

Good afternoon Martin,

Tony Geary and I spent many happy hours fitting Comet Mk.1 sides to RTR Mk.1 donors, mainly Mainline/Palitoy if I recall. It was a quick way of obtaining the types not available RTR (even after Bachmann Mk.1s appeared). These were mainly BSOs, but also some catering cars. 

Comet underframes are fine.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Martin,

Tony Geary and I spent many happy hours fitting Comet Mk.1 sides to RTR Mk.1 donors, mainly Mainline/Palitoy if I recall. It was a quick way of obtaining the types not available RTR (even after Bachmann Mk.1s appeared). These were mainly BSOs, but also some catering cars. 

Comet underframes are fine.

Regards,

Tony. 

My RU is a Comet sided Lima Mark 1 RBR with detailing, so been there done that.

I need 3 long non corridors and choice between 3 Replica CKD, or Comet, or put Comet sides on other RTR.

Flat ends are a thing to note, but Comet would be around £160 and Replica around £85.

Just a bit ratty today with paint.

My ex GWR corridor brake third has gone lumpy and on my DMU a lot of blue has peeled off. Suspect poor primer.

Will wet and dry the etched kit but seriously tempted to return to bare plastic for the DMU.

What is odd is that the lumpy carriage was sprayed at same time as an Airfix B Set and that was fine.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, JamesSpooner said:

Hi Martin,

I think one of the great things about our hobby is that we have the freedom do go about building out our projects as we personally think fit or enjoy.  On my BR East Anglian 1950’s layout, I put together a core of RTR carriage sets to get myself going, then built out using a range of different kits, to get to the full complement of my requirements.  I am now in the process of building some more kits to replace those RTR carriages either that I am not comfortable with, or which don’t strictly meet my requirements.  But that was just my personal way of tackling the matter and I’m sure there are many other equally valid ways of approaching it. Enjoy!

Nigel

This is similar to my own approach. When I first started I purchased BR Midland locomotives as there weren't very many small Eastern Region locomotives available RTR. Then as Hornby and Bachmann moved to the East I started replacing the LMR stuff with Eastern prototypes which were more to my liking. 

Did the same with coaches too, I've swapped out BR Mk1's for the lovely Gresley and Thompson Suburban coaches that are now available. Most likely I'll do similar to you at some point and work out what I need to kit build in order to better represent the era and area I want to represent.

I feel I'm continually learning what is and isn't right in these regards and as I learn what I've got wrong I do my best to improve my modelling. :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Now paint stripping,  the DMU blue was peeling straight off the grey.

Doing one side a day.

Will do blue then grey this time. And same week.

The BTK the primer was the issue.  Acid 8.

May buy some more precision  etch primer.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony with all your wiggly pipes I'm surprised you've left the cast smokebox door handles.

Andrew

Yes, I know Andrew,

I never bother to remove cast-on darts (unless they're really obtrusive).

When a loco is painted, it's not so evident that the dart is not a separate fitting. You can see it, as one can see all the wiggly pipes.

In classis Blue Peter-style. Here's one I made earlier................

243660169_9F92042DJHkit.jpg.c13ae0eb4aede222eef4ce2255c3b3ba.jpg

579305917_DJH9F9204202.jpg.f1d0cff67b191c9a29999d07203139b3.jpg

609877002_embankmentview92042.jpg.c0d1502826a902963500bc2fee3b7be4.jpg

I'm not so sure if, from 'layout-viewing angles of 3' or so, the cast-on door is all that evident.

This is another Model Loco 9F kit, towing a Bachmann 1F tender, all painted and weathered by Geoff Haynes.

Now, a DJH 9F (builder unknown).

1035955136_DJH9F9203701.jpg.0345fb7647a48a57dd5b7515be846023.jpg

This time, the cast-on dart has been replaced, yet the representation of the wiggly pipework is a bit 'puny' in my view. 

Larry Goddard had painted this in gloss black originally. Geoff Haynes has weathered it to 'realism'. 

It was originally owned by Robert Caroll, but it didn't like his pointwork too much. I did a swop with him for a detailed/weathered Bachmann 9F and we were both happy. 

1558436800_92044Bachmann9F01.jpg.b2309f702d1fbe4580b56fc06cee05b5.jpg

I think it's fair to say that (in some ways) this is probably a better model than the DJH equivalent. Its drivers have the right number of spokes (the DJH one has too many in its Romford drivers) and the tender is a much better representation of the BR 1F. That said, I just prefer the 'presence' of a metal loco. It just sounds 'right' in comparison with RTR equivalents, 'clunking' over pointwork and joints. 

This shot was taken some years ago, well before I'd finished the point rodding. Those plastic 'bendy' bits were soon replaced with metal (though not beneath the rails).  

By the way...................

1439130184_RoyJackson9F.jpg.2f79479637da869f5d1557fb416f89dc.jpg

Even the great Roy Jackson left the dart cast-on. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it a bit of a shame to use the wrong driving wheels in those 9Fs when Markits sell a correct 9F wheel?

Even though nobody is going to count the spokes as a model goes past, the difference between an even number and an odd number of spokes is quite noticeable in a still photo and it means that the balance weights end mid way between spokes, which always looks quite wrong.

I can't recall the story behind the Roy Jackson 9F but I seem to think that it was one he built for somebody else and was probably done "straight out of the box". I can recall him, certainly in later years, carving off cast smokebox door handles and replacing them with brass ones on the locos for Retford. Some of the early Gainsborough/High Dyke locos may not have received the treatment but ones built for Retford did. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

At long last, the Model loco 9F started by Rob Kinsey is complete..........

1461608175_ModelLoco9F05.jpg.0be2a0ef66914013cefd5543390a9c7c.jpg

1505665541_ModelLoco9F06.jpg.4c8b1a2f53077155890691c2849c670f.jpg

Plenty of wiggly plumbing (various grades of fusewire).

Strictly speaking, this 9F has a London Midland Region tender. Even though locos equipped with this type could be seen at Peterborough, they be more likely to have come off the Midland lines. Still, it might see service on Shap. 

This forum so badly needs a 'wow' reaction. That looks so right - it has a real presence. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone, apologies for not posting this yesterday, had a busy day brass banding!

Many thanks for your hospitality on Saturday, Tony. I really enjoyed myself, learnt so much my head hurts and I'm now looking forward to progressing with this 'Brittania', rather than apprehensive!

I'm in love with this NER footbridge you sold me as well for my upcoming layout (baseboards arriving on Saturday!), can I ask who's kit it is again please? I've forgotten! I've attached some crude 'mock up' photos of it, using books as platforms! I'm very proud of the Platform Shelter, it's the Prototype for one of my favourite kits I designed, based off the example found at Robin Hoods Bay.

1130929760_J72footbridge.jpg.d0507ebd9a45b70ff5049066fe711e90.jpg266769985_B1footbridge.jpg.75e66cbef8ec15287e451d130984f8cf.jpg

Those photos you took of my Q6 came out well, just a shame about the limited focus points (I'm not photographer so I don't know the technical terms!) She looked really smart trundling around LB, just needs finishing off now with crew, coal, detailing parts and brake rigging!

I'll post an update on the Brit soon!

342800859_Q6LB.jpg.27a30ae30db2aabf0dc5cb3f2c73a0b2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

At long last, the Model loco 9F started by Rob Kinsey is complete..........

Still, it might see service on Shap. 

Only if you’re really, really well-behaved…

Of course, my friend! York should be the next opportunity, the layout’s attendance has been confirmed. Mind you, we’re not exactly short of 9Fs on the roster…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony

I hope you’ll forgive me if I use your thread to try and get some accurate information on breakdown crane support vehicles.

I wonder if anyone has any information on the type of support vehicles that might have been used on cranes in West Yorkshire during the 60’s. I’m looking for tool vans, mess vans, staff riding vans and any other support vehicles, wagon or coach, that were in use. Liveries and numbers would be useful. 
I’m not overly concerned about modelling a specific breakdown train eg Holbeck/Wakefield as just getting the type of vehicles right for the time period and area.

I have made enquiries on the forum before with absolutely no success so here’s hoping some of the very knowledgeable people on this thread might be able to help.

On 19/11/2021 at 15:44, rowanj said:

Like Tony, I have exhausted my pile of kits, but did have a Comet Brit chassis kit, donated by an RM pal, and some acceptable wheels and motor in the spares drawers. A few years ago, inspired by one of his articles, I had tried and failed to follow suit on a Hornby tender-drive model.

The Comet/Hornby Brit now has the main elements of the chassis and valve gear fitted. This was either my second or third go at doing this, so  I suppose I must be getting either better or luckier. Having said that, in my next life I'm going to model the GWR. You wouldn't want to see a video of me fighting with the strands on the valve gear, and certainly wouldn't  want to hear the audio. I take my hat of to folk who had build these things in 5 minutes.

I have photos of 70036 at York, and the modified "blinkers " are appropriate. Brits were reasonably common at York in the 60's, or else someone took a photo of every visit. However York was as far up the ECML as they got, so a visit to Newcastle/Little Benton is a bit of an anachronism. Hey ho.

IMG_20211119_150918.jpg

I'm sure I have seen the odd report of Brits reaching Newcastle , so rare but not unknown .

They were never common at York but continued to make visits right through to the end of 1967 ,usually on the 17.47 Fridays only Manchester Exchange - York express , a Carlisle Kingmoor diagram .

The last run ,& also the last diagrammed steam working to York , was on 29/12/67 behind no. 70013 .

The less said about the run the better though , arriving in York some 2 hours late .

Hope this is of interest .

Ray .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Tony

I hope you’ll forgive me if I use your thread to try and get some accurate information on breakdown crane support vehicles.

I wonder if anyone has any information on the type of support vehicles that might have been used on cranes in West Yorkshire during the 60’s. I’m looking for tool vans, mess vans, staff riding vans and any other support vehicles, wagon or coach, that were in use. Liveries and numbers would be useful. 
I’m not overly concerned about modelling a specific breakdown train eg Holbeck/Wakefield as just getting the type of vehicles right for the time period and area.

I have made enquiries on the forum before with absolutely no success so here’s hoping some of the very knowledgeable people on this thread might be able to help.

Roger

Not sure how accurate you wish to be or if you are OK with RTR (or modified RTR).

Hattons are producing 4 and 6 wheel coaches as below which might suit.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail?id=884

image.png.8f5b72b54cf80b1d500bdf9b8c72e04e.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, dibateg said:

Morning Tony -

I always thought the DJH kit captured the look of the 9F well ( apart from the 1F tender ) but, it looks a little empty under the back of the cab to me, which looks somewhat unsupported - there should be an frame that supports the rear of the cab. That looks like it is an omission with the kit from the other models in your post:-

IMG_3838.JPG.72d0764331501b9c87b6840da2288cb6.JPG

I can't remember as far back as my 4mm DJH 9Fs, if they had them. The 7mm scale one does:-

P1020672.JPG.d1437346fdc261e7ac4c9c2b9f143add.JPG

I'm trying to recall, years ago, didn't Chaplin do a set of injector castings for the 4mm 9F?

The castings on this 7mm one are from Ragstone as I didn't like the DJH W/M cast ones.

Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Ron Chaplin did do some lost-wax castings for the BR Standards (I think they ended up in Comet's range). I've got some, so might use them in future. 

That pipework looks fantastic on your 7mm 9F.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Isn't it a bit of a shame to use the wrong driving wheels in those 9Fs when Markits sell a correct 9F wheel?

Even though nobody is going to count the spokes as a model goes past, the difference between an even number and an odd number of spokes is quite noticeable in a still photo and it means that the balance weights end mid way between spokes, which always looks quite wrong.

I can't recall the story behind the Roy Jackson 9F but I seem to think that it was one he built for somebody else and was probably done "straight out of the box". I can recall him, certainly in later years, carving off cast smokebox door handles and replacing them with brass ones on the locos for Retford. Some of the early Gainsborough/High Dyke locos may not have received the treatment but ones built for Retford did. 

It is a shame in many ways to use the wrong-spoked wheels, Tony, but I plead pragmatism.

Rob Kinsey started the 9F in question what must be 30 years ago (for Leighford), and the Model Loco kit came with the standard Romfords of the day (as did mine). Though the wheels had the right diameter, there were at least two too many spokes. For me to replace the drivers with the correct Markits ones now would cost me nearly £70.00, maybe more. Multiply that by a further three (to go underneath the other Model Loco/DJH 9Fs I've got) and the cost is just too prohibitive. I suppose it's a different outlook I have in a way - with over 200 locos I've built for Little Bytham, perhaps I turn a 'blinder eye' to some detail issues. Anyway, since the 9Fs are only seen in motion on the layout (as opposed to still pictures), the spokes are extremely difficult to count!

963324659_92042panning.jpg.4e9e50a35e72e4c2e729f85b3414d5d6.jpg

You're right, Roy did build the 9F for somebody else (who then promptly disappeared, and has never been traced since). Out of kindness, he gave it to me in exchange for chassis I made for Retford and coaches I gave him. It's a lovely model. I think Geoff painted it and weathered it. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Morning everyone, apologies for not posting this yesterday, had a busy day brass banding!

Many thanks for your hospitality on Saturday, Tony. I really enjoyed myself, learnt so much my head hurts and I'm now looking forward to progressing with this 'Brittania', rather than apprehensive!

I'm in love with this NER footbridge you sold me as well for my upcoming layout (baseboards arriving on Saturday!), can I ask who's kit it is again please? I've forgotten! I've attached some crude 'mock up' photos of it, using books as platforms! I'm very proud of the Platform Shelter, it's the Prototype for one of my favourite kits I designed, based off the example found at Robin Hoods Bay.

1130929760_J72footbridge.jpg.d0507ebd9a45b70ff5049066fe711e90.jpg266769985_B1footbridge.jpg.75e66cbef8ec15287e451d130984f8cf.jpg

Those photos you took of my Q6 came out well, just a shame about the limited focus points (I'm not photographer so I don't know the technical terms!) She looked really smart trundling around LB, just needs finishing off now with crew, coal, detailing parts and brake rigging!

I'll post an update on the Brit soon!

342800859_Q6LB.jpg.27a30ae30db2aabf0dc5cb3f2c73a0b2.jpg

It was my pleasure, Dylan,

The footbridge was made by Dave Scott from a George Allen kit of many, many moons ago. It's all-soldered, even if in the instructions gluing was recommended for some of the parts.

I'm amazed at the ability of mobile phones to capture images, and even more amazed that I was able to use yours for the purpose! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The footbridge was made by Dave Scott from a George Allen kit of many, many moons ago.

It's a real shame that kits such as this disappear forever (I'm assuming no-one still markets it - perhaps under a different label?) :sad_mini:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

It's a real shame that kits such as this disappear forever (I'm assuming no-one still markets it - perhaps under a different label?) :sad_mini:

Agree. At least the designs should be sent to a repository of some kind, and either be available on request or held until a new business opportunity arises.

• Agree 4