Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

17 hours ago, drmditch said:

I live near here, and use the old railway routes now comfortably converted to Paths by Durham County council quite frequently.

If you perform a search on Relly Mill Junction, you will find more material.

By the way there are variant spellings - Relly/Relley/Deerness/Dearness - just to confuse search engines!

It is not 'an ECML Diversion'! It was and is, since 1872, on the ECML itself.

There was a post on RMWeb - ...here...

There was an article in British Railways Illustrated for March 1996 (Vol.5 No.6) by 'MB'. Pictures are from 1955 to 1963. If you are unable to locate a copy let me know. Several of the pictures are listed as from the Neville Stead collection. I can't place my copy just at present; I was using it in my Railway Room a few months ago and it may have got buried under other projects.

Your Diagram, at the bottom left, appears to miss the junction (Bridge House) between the ECML and the Bishop Auckland line. (The latter was the original line here  by the way)

As others have said, do join NERA.

The Signal Box is probably a Northern Division type, although the border between the divisions did change several times.

Many thanks for the info, @drmditch! I presumed Deerness was a diversion because a few photos I've found of 'top links' working the area say they're diverting due to line blockage at Ferryhill. Everyday's a school day!

I've found a copy of the March 1996 issue of BR Illustrated on eBay for the pricey sum of £3 on eBay, so if you think it's worth it, I'll invest!

The track diagram is dated 10th June 1901, which might be why the Bridge House junction is missing?

Thanks for the info on the Signal Box, is it the same type as Haydon Bridge? They look fairly similar to my untrained eye!

5931092_cbc98e90.jpg.dd58e0be0afcf4193cb79e531f282afe.jpg

Many thanks for your help,

Dylan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Many thanks for the info, @drmditch! I presumed Deerness was a diversion because a few photos I've found of 'top links' working the area say they're diverting due to line blockage at Ferryhill. Everyday's a school day!

I've found a copy of the March 1996 issue of BR Illustrated on eBay for the pricey sum of £3 on eBay, so if you think it's worth it, I'll invest!

The track diagram is dated 10th June 1901, which might be why the Bridge House junction is missing?

Thanks for the info on the Signal Box, is it the same type as Haydon Bridge? They look fairly similar to my untrained eye!

Dylan

The ECML as it is now only came into existence when the line from Deerness to Hoggersgate Junction, where it joined the Leamside line (the original ECML up here!) was built. Hoggersgate Junction is today known as Tursdale Junction, of course :sungum:

Just now, Tony Wright said:

Does anyone know exactly where this is, please?

47673.jpg.a2193f1120ed35c80c0d80d5b4af53b9.jpg

The loco is 47673, shedded at 9A, Longsight.

It's definitely ex-LNWR territory (note the signal above the first coach), so, somewhere in the Manchester suburbs out from London Road? 

Thanks in anticipation. 

Looks like Heaton Chapel

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Dylan

Hi Dylan.

Bridge House Junc. Doesn't directly connect to the section of line you showed in the signal box diagram. One of the routes ducks under where's you've shown and has a trailing connection to the Consett line at Baxter Wood No. 2 signal box. 

A diversion from Darlington via Bishop Auckland to Durham is perfectly feasible to avoid Ferryhill. 

All the best Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for showing those again Tony.

For the benefit of those who like to point out others' errors, the owner of the engineer's vehicles visible in some of those pictures is already very well aware that the ballast wagons are not actually LNER types but they were a gift, they are neatly finished, and the building of authentic ones is somewhere on the "to do" list. The same owner is also well aware that the 1880s MS&LR 25T bogie mineral brake doing service with the ballast wagons ought to be in Oxford blue too if it is in the Engineer's fleet, which would seem likely by the late 1930s. The cover story will have to be that it is just being tried out for suitability, and will only get a re-paint if adopted for long term use. Its number, if anybody manages to read it is almost certainly wrong too. If an authentic LNER 1930s departmental number for this type of ballast brake can be found, it would be of some interest...

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

So, a few more (even though I showed these at the time; it was over three years ago).

Good Evening Tony,

To me, and I suspect to many, this is all new. Wonderful images of a great loyout and the locomotives and rolling stock are first class. Smashing, many thanks!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The images from Bytham's 1938 LNER Weekend seemed to be popular.

So, a few more (even though I showed these at the time; it was over three years ago).

1899266597_Trainsrunning01ROBERTTHEDEVILonDownexpress.jpg.a2cdb6cc593dbc2a4b322a621ee450fd.jpg

1986628051_Trainsrunning11D9.jpg.d283befff6cc2cec7189a04404746514.jpg

1210794399_Trainsrunning15J41.jpg.ab6d84f0219df11558c6d020aa8df10d.jpg

1740757475_Trainsrunning24C2.jpg.60bf8ed5ff82209a9e39a46c6a3abb22.jpg

718410011_Trainsrunning35B3onPullman.jpg.539f5f5edaee1a9f294559a419f6f08a.jpg

241368405_Trainsrunning46D9onMGNRservice.jpg.a6a66ebe48d9f08252f8a366fae2a225.jpg

Enjoying the photos Tony; I know they weren't the main point of them, but they also contain a fine selection of teak vehicles!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Enjoying the photos Tony; I know they weren't the main point of them, but they also contain a fine selection of teak vehicles!

I thought the change in period improved the layout greatly but there again, I am highly biased! Varnished teak is my second favourite livery, only surpassed by GCR brown and cream. What we really need now is a GNR session, with Stirling singles (not just No 1 on the anniversary runs) 0-4-2s, 2-4-0s and suchlike.

It will never happen as I would hazard a guess that not enough correct period OO gauge models of such things exist to stock the layout.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

The same owner is also well aware that the 1880s MS&LR 25T bogie mineral brake doing service with the ballast wagons ought to be in Oxford blue

I wouldn't worry about it too much, my Father recalled seeing loads of departmental stock in the sidings at Neville hill in the late 30s. The first time he saw anything painted Oxford blue, was on a model railway, it was quite a surprise.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I thought the change in period improved the layout greatly but there again, I am highly biased! Varnished teak is my second favourite livery, only surpassed by GCR brown and cream. What we really need now is a GNR session, with Stirling singles (not just No 1 on the anniversary runs) 0-4-2s, 2-4-0s and suchlike.

It will never happen as I would hazard a guess that not enough correct period OO gauge models of such things exist to stock the layout.

It's a wonderful idea Tony,

The period would have to be between 1911 (when the main line was quadrupled) and the Grouping of 1923 (or just after, because 'LNER' wasn't instantly universal), which includes WW1. Every signal (not just two, for 1938) would have to be replaced by somersaults, and one building would have to be removed, but that's all, really. If someone would like to offer all the necessary OO stock on loan for a weekend (a reasonable representation would do, not a complete substitution of 50-odd trains and more than 100 locos), then it's possible (providing Graham Nicholas would be prepared to make all those signals - the two he made for 1938 were later sold for CRUK).

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I can’t believe it’s been over three years since that weekend. 

I wouldn’t have missed an opportunity like that, thanks to you and the rest of the chaps for the invite. It was such an excellent weekend and five weeks for me in the UK. 

Halfway through putting your 58 stock back on. 

FAB0CB64-E3DC-4674-A3A5-26E6AFE18C78.jpeg.0840f30d784dc91c703a94d856c3aa1e.jpeg

A picture you took of me taking the controls during us running trains for the other BRM video. Who needs you Tony, I know how to run LB with my eyes closed, with no cock ups! :wink_mini:

ED6FE11E-2AEE-4BDB-8277-E6BDC08F666F.jpeg.779d5336cc3aa96d13c05392f37d78c2.jpeg

and lastly the team! Bit of a blurry photo as it’s a photo of a photo…. But you get the idea. 

AFD1911C-4926-41C2-9CED-DF667328DD0E.png.8448f9632141df0bfb2dea2ef8ac7b8c.png

Thanks Jesse,

It looks like I'm making some repairs; inevitable when loads of stock is picked up, packed up and then put back!

And, I've picked up the very common sight of locomotives running along Station Road. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It's a wonderful idea Tony,

The period would have to be between 1911 ...... then it's possible (providing Graham Nicholas would be prepared to make all those signals - the two he made for 1938 were later sold for CRUK).

Regards,

Tony.

:scared::wacko: :swoon: :fie:  WOTSPLURTHCOUGH!!!!!!!!

Sound of mouthful of tea being spluttered into a large steaming hot bowl of porridge I WAS enjoying.

Time to get stuck into your stash of late Victorian/Edwardian 2-2-2s, 4-2-2s, 2-4-0s, clerestory coaches (etc) Tony...

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Time to get stuck into your stash of late Victorian/Edwardian 2-2-2s, 4-2-2s, 2-4-0s, clerestory coaches (etc) Tony...

By the period Tony mentioned - post-1911 - the expresses would all be in the hands of Atlantics? RTR! Indeed if you stretch to 1922, you can have a couple of Gresley pacifics...

Perhaps one could round up enough GNR enthusiasts modelling in the wider gauges who would be willing to pop 00 wheelsets into their stock for a weekend?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

By the period Tony mentioned - post-1911 - the expresses would all be in the hands of Atlantics? RTR! Indeed if you stretch to 1922, you can have a couple of Gresley pacifics...

Perhaps one could round up enough GNR enthusiasts modelling in the wider gauges who would be willing to pop 00 wheelsets into their stock for a weekend?

I did think that BUT in a similar manner to our period, the cascade principle was in operation so plenty of work still for the previous generation (maybe the Singles might be stretching it a bit) By way of example, in 1931, Grantham shed had 13 Pacifics allocated against 16 Atlantics. Translate that back 20 years and the 2-2-2s and 2-4-0s would still be around in numbers. Not to mention the bewildering array of older 0-6-0s for the prodigious goods traffic, supplemented by some 0-8-0s ... and maybe even an American 2-6-0 perhaps?

The GNR and the LNER were notoriously parsimonious (in the latter case badly affected by the 1920s/1930s slump/depression)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Stand by for a OO gauge GN liveried 0-6-0 if I manage to get there for my planned visit in December, viral considerations permitting. I'm afraid it is only appropriate to the period before 1906 though. Can you stretch the time frame that far back?

If it was me organising such a thing (it is a good job it isn't me as I am the worst organiser around) I wouldn't worry about things like the signals and buildings. I would leave the layout just as it is and just say that anything in pre 1923 condition goes.

As TW has pointed out, there are a few anomalies on Little Bytham in terms of dates and periods, so a few more for a special occasion shouldn't really be a major concern. 

It would be all about getting a big enough selection of GNR stock together. There must be some OO Gauge modellers working in the pre 1923 period but I don't recall seeing very much in the press or at shows, if any at all. Almost all the 4mm scale GNR modelling I have seen has been in EM or P4.

All my GNR stuff, plus that of a good friend of mine, is in EM Gauge and I wouldn't be keen on rebuilding or altering things just for a photo session and a day or two running.

Of course there have been a few RTR models but I would like to think that it would be not in the spirit of Little Bytham to rely too much on those.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, paul2001 said:

A diversion from Darlington via Bishop Auckland to Durham is perfectly feasible to avoid Ferryhill. 

All the best Paul.

Hello Dylan, if I may add to Paul's contribution,  :

Sunday diversions of Main Line services due to engineering work, were also regular during the late 1950s - early 1960s and could make it the best day of the week for 'Spotting' in my locality. My home station on the Bishop Auckland to Durham route was Brandon Colliery, the last Station a diverted north bound service would pass through before regaining the 'Main Line' at the Relly Mill/ Deerness Valley Junction complex and continuing to Durham.

Anything could turn up on a Sunday, and although I was initially too young and uneducated in railway matters to distinguish between many Loco types, I do know that A3s and A4s were among such motive power (I was told what I'd seen by more experienced Spotters). I do have a distinct memory of my first sight of a D200 Diesel on such a diverted service. 

The editions of Steam Days Magazine I mentioned in the topic by 'Rbage' to which you've already had reference, have  excellent photographs and articles which may be of use to you if you can obtain copies.

Wishing you well with your layout.

Regards,

John  

• Like 2