Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

Hi Jon

The Westinghouse pump looks well made. Could you advise the supplier?

Dave

Hello Dave

It is from Markits. As Tony has just posted these are lovely turned brass items. Unfortunately I didn’t make a note of the part number - but I think it is the one that is available on the Wizard web site

Jon

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It probably is, Jesse,

But, no, it'll be CITY OF KINGSTON UPON HULL, not the one with the Gresley boiler and cab. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Has to be the one. 

It’ll look the ducks guts when it’s finished. 

How’s that D2! :wink_mini:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Some interesting books again this month................

398363914_CarmarthentoFishguard.jpg.1120c221cdc96cf48f86b32a3fc45705.jpg

832520723_HulltoScarborough.jpg.271087c4ab1f6a250e310ae3fa05e0f2.jpg

Leader.jpg.b594c9ef488b2f8bdfd97f140fb2cf79.jpg

This is (at least) the third book on Leader by the same author.

152518613_LondonTermini.jpg.026f861d3a31fad5f256b65634dbeec5.jpg

902338332_NGaugeModelling.jpg.99a56301f7ff6c2af3c722088b84868a.jpg

1740423439_TheBookofthe8FsPartFour.jpg.2fbcaaa86d22bac31b90ac50b480a86a.jpg

I've actually assisted (in a small way) with this one.

Tony, 

I saw a advert in a magazine with respect to an album  of V2 photo's - are you aware of any? I ask because I can't find the magazine advert and google searches have yielded nothing. Thanks

Edited by davidw

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It was actually built - with superglue. Then, I believe, posted out to Australia to become a kit again! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yeah I sent it to you to be rebuilt, it needed a scratchbuilt chassis. Which I admit is beyond me at this point in time… one day.

So I sent it over and it returned here completely destroyed. It looked like customs had opened it and did the dodgy. 

Then we came to an agreement of swapping a v2 I had here for a rebuild of the D2. Nice bit of bartering. 

Tony will do a much better job of it then I could, as I said, at the moment. 

With the Bachman V2 on the horizon, I intend to kitbuikt whats not on the RTR market. Which I think is sensible. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Progress on the DJH Raven A2..............

1226415792_DJHRavenA204.jpg.31d025a5cb63dabb07bc50d4d3787c66.jpg

Anxious to keep things as neat as possible after painting wheels green off my latest loco, it eventually occurred to me to also paint the wheel nuts black before re-fitting.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, davidw said:

Thanks Mike - I've got that one I don't think it was one I saw advertised. For me as much as layouts, exhibitions had such an array of Booksellers and publishers

I know what you mean - booksellers at the exhibitions are such a happy hunting ground. Is the GN V2 book any good - I've got the A3 and A1 books, not bad but I find the photo reproduction isnt brilliant and colours a little over 'restored' .

1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I know what you mean - booksellers at the exhibitions are such a happy hunting ground. Is the GN V2 book any good - I've got the A3 and A1 books, not bad but I find the photo reproduction isnt brilliant and colours a little over 'restored' .

I think that your comment about colours over restored sums up the V2 book as well. These and the black and white are a great modelling resource. Lots of photos I've not seen before.   My wife got it for me just before a Holiday. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Thanks Jason - Yes that's the one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davidw said:

Tony, 

I saw a advert in a magazine with respect to an album  of V2 photo's - are you aware of any? I ask because I can't find the magazine advert and google searches have yielded nothing. Thanks

Good afternoon David,

This is the latest I've seen.

210283533_GresleyV2s.jpg.cc77b531f71d972f2d3541b4fd3fc654.jpg

Published by BookLaw about four months ago.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

More work done on the A2.................

320952022_DJHRavenA205.jpg.519cd57c18d9c5ad5a36e693c56dcc45.jpg

Wiper pick-ups installed (I abhor the 'American' system, though others use it with success, I'm sure).

How the pony arrangement as supplied was supposed to negotiate layout curves, I've no idea. I just use a section of suitable small-bore brass tube, soldered to a piece of .40 nickel silver wire, which acts as both a spring and a pivot. 

Time for some thorough layout testing.....................

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some interesting books again this month................

832520723_HulltoScarborough.jpg.271087c4ab1f6a250e310ae3fa05e0f2.jpg

Leader.jpg.b594c9ef488b2f8bdfd97f140fb2cf79.jpg

This is (at least) the third book on Leader by the same author.

152518613_LondonTermini.jpg.026f861d3a31fad5f256b65634dbeec5.jpg

902338332_NGaugeModelling.jpg.99a56301f7ff6c2af3c722088b84868a.jpg

1740423439_TheBookofthe8FsPartFour.jpg.2fbcaaa86d22bac31b90ac50b480a86a.jpg

I've actually assisted (in a small way) with this one.

What's that saying again... Bulleid made 240 odd locos and one mistake!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

More work done on the A2.................

320952022_DJHRavenA205.jpg.519cd57c18d9c5ad5a36e693c56dcc45.jpg

Wiper pick-ups installed (I abhor the 'American' system, though others use it with success, I'm sure).

How the pony arrangement as supplied was supposed to negotiate layout curves, I've no idea. I just use a section of suitable small-bore brass tube, soldered to a piece of .40 nickel silver wire, which acts as both a spring and a pivot. 

Time for some thorough layout testing.....................

The two slots in the upright part of that rear frame spacer make me wonder whether the DJH proposal for the rear truck was the same one that I found unworkable when I built my large-boiler GN Atlantic: No radial action at all, just translation, guaranteed to make flanges claw their way up the inside face of the outer rail when attempting to run backwards around a curve, notwithstanding the specified very thick springing wires, which just took too much weight off the driving wheels.

• Informative/Useful 3

27 minutes ago, gr.king said:

The two slots in the upright part of that rear frame spacer make me wonder whether the DJH proposal for the rear truck was the same one that I found unworkable when I built my large-boiler GN Atlantic: No radial action at all, just translation, guaranteed to make flanges claw their way up the inside face of the outer rail when attempting to run backwards around a curve, notwithstanding the specified very thick springing wires, which just took too much weight off the driving wheels.

The radial truck used in several of London Road Models loco kits is available as a separate item. If the cutouts in the A2 frames are the standard 6mm wide hornblock cut out, it could be fitted. More expensive than Tony's solution though ,at £5 for the etch and 2mm bearings.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Will have to have a good look at the West Wales book, it is likely to be the only railway book ever published with Clarbeston Road on its cover!  Many an hour of my youth was spent on that Up platform (I still remember some of the graffiti in the waiting shelter, none by me I hasten to add) and managed a couple of visits to the signal box over the years as well.  Like everywhere else, the greenery has grown a lot in the last 30 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

I think it is the same or very similar, Graeme,

I've just tested the A2 chassis round Little Bytham, backwards and forwards, through pointwork and crossings; and? Perfect running!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1