Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Any points giving access to a running line were worked by the 'box or were hand-operated, but which had to be unlocked by the 'box first. There were no facing points giving direct access to sidings off the running lines. 

I can't recall seeing any photos of goods trains setting back into any of the lay-byes to allow faster traffic to pass but it occurs to me that by the date you're modelling the way the traffic was being worked was such that the lay-byes were more-or-less redundant - unfitted mineral trains being kept clear of the ECML by being routed over the GN&GE Joint Line and via March?

• RMweb Premium
On 28/12/2021 at 08:56, Tony Wright said:

Out of possible interest, with regard to the on-going discussion on goods trains.

A few B1-hauled freights/parcels..................

1548908581_freight06.jpg.9e553e0898a07790d44963c344c28abc.jpg

Good evening Tony, apologies for going back a few days - there's been so much activity on the thread it's also quite a few pages back now - but I've been busy too and am just catching up with all the recent posts.

Can you tell me anything please about the coach behind this B1 photo you posted? Is it a parcels vehicle, or some sort of inspection or departmental one? If it's parcels, was it very usual to run just one in a train like that?

Thank you in advance, Chas

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah but that is a BR dia 1/001 with dropsides and ends. The LMS Lowfit had fixed sides and ends.

BR Lowfits are a bit of a minefield. Diagram 1/001 were B450000 - 399 built to lot 2107 at Wolverton and Derby. They had an LNER wooden body on and LMS underframe with J-hangers and 8-shoe LMS Clasp brakes.

These were followed Diagram 1/002 built at Shildon. These had a steel body. The brakes on the first lot were 8-shoe LNER Clasp, changing in 1952 to 4-shoe Morton, then again for the last lot built in 1959 to 8-shoe BR Clasp. 

The Mainline/Bachmann model was a mixture of a Diagram 1/001 body on the underframe of the middle period of Diagram 1/002.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

BR Lowfits are a bit of a minefield. Diagram 1/001 were B450000 - 399 built to lot 2107 at Wolverton and Derby. They had an LNER wooden body on and LMS underframe with J-hangers and 8-shoe LMS Clasp brakes.

These were followed Diagram 1/002 built at Shildon. These had a steel body. The brakes on the first lot were 8-shoe LNER Clasp, changing in 1952 to 4-shoe Morton, then again for the last lot built in 1959 to 8-shoe BR Clasp. 

The Mainline/Bachmann model was a mixture of a Diagram 1/001 body on the underframe of the middle period of Diagram 1/002.

Also, IIRC, the number of side ribs varied on the steel bodied ones, the final batch had more of them.....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I can't recall seeing any photos of goods trains setting back into any of the lay-byes to allow faster traffic to pass but it occurs to me that by the date you're modelling the way the traffic was being worked was such that the lay-byes were more-or-less redundant - unfitted mineral trains being kept clear of the ECML by being routed over the GN&GE Joint Line and via March?

Good morning Stephen,

From (admittedly scant) photographic evidence, it would appear that the lay-byes (bys?) were mainly used by the pick-up freights in 1958 at Little Bytham (and elsewhere on the section of line). They would park wagons not needed at LB (including the brake van) in the dead-end roads and then conduct any shunting.

A friend has a shot of one of his relatives on the footplate of a K3 which has set back into the Down north lay-bye with its unfitted goods train (not a pick-up) during the time modelled (this movement is conducted in the sequence). 

At times they would be used to store spare or redundant rolling stock (both freight- and passenger-carrying). 

1093057146_MGNViewWest.jpg.73e728e6a8998bfee4b98f506cde26cd.jpg

This is a shot looking west, taken from the bridge carrying the private road to Grimsthorpe Castle (Lord Willoughby's stately pile) over the M&GNR. It was taken in the last full year of east/west line's operation, 1958. A line of open wagons can be seen standing in the Up lay-bye. Since they have no loco attached, and a pick-up would likely to be more mixed (?), I assume they're temporarily stored there (a shot in one of Colin Walker's books shows a line of older carriages parked in the same spot). 

I've seen a video clip of a B1 shunting at Little Bytham as late as 1963 (four years after the station closed), so the lay-byes might still have been in use. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Good evening Tony, apologies for going back a few days - there's been so much activity on the thread it's also quite a few pages back now - but I've been busy too and am just catching up with all the recent posts.

Can you tell me anything please about the coach behind this B1 photo you posted? Is it a parcels vehicle, or some sort of inspection or departmental one? If it's parcels, was it very usual to run just one in a train like that?

Thank you in advance, Chas

Good morning Chas,

Those far more knowledgeable than I'll ever be might be able to help more. 

I think it's an ex-GWR BG of some type, most likely painted in carmine and cream. 

It looks like it constitutes a complete Class B train.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Chas,

I think it's an ex-GWR BG of some type, most likely painted in carmine and cream. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Looks like a GWR K40 full brake to me based upon the windows,

Typically the photo I have of the almost finished model I have been working on (Comet sides on a Hornby B Set coach) shows the other side to that in the photo.

949F2377-09D7-4801-B515-7EDB2B3D8742.jpeg.2ec1281c01dbbd872dc2bde83278896f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Chas,

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony - I shall read up on freight classes and their consituents.

I've very much enjoying reading through the year's modelling round-ups - yours and everyone else's too. I've spent most of this year's modelling time working on my current C2 build and I posted pictures of that here recently, so I thought I'd wait until it reaches the next significant stage before posting more photos.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and that those who wish to have been able to plan something enjoyable for this evening's celebrations...:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 29/12/2021 at 10:38, LNER4479 said:

I should let others comment on exact vehicle types - HOWEVER, having been reading through my reference books in the light of these discussions, I believe the one of the left to be the one that  ... er ... most closely matches these Dapol 'LMS' van type that there was been so much talk about, which therefore makes either a D2039 or BR 1/204 (is that anywhere near right?).

I will make what I believe to be an informed comment on stickers. From what I've read, traders' labels became a common practice in the 1960s. Hollar make various types of labels that you can buy to stick on your wagons thus. BUT, it was very much a 1960s thing, which fits in with your 1965 photo date, Tony. 1958? Perhaps not so much so ... or even at all

The Hollar labels are now available as free downloads on the Scalefour Society and GOG web sites, and many of them were in use in the late 50s.

Tony

• Informative/Useful 1

On 29/12/2021 at 20:05, Northmoor said:

As well as the lack of "specials" in reality (compared to what most of us operate), is it also the case that the "typical mixed freight" was actually even less mixed than we like to think?  For instance, would fish vans - which most people would see as just vans like any other - ever run in a mixed formation (unless to/from from works etc.), surely they were normally in express block trains as the cargo was perishable.  Likewise Tony's cement train; common types like Presflos would normally have been in block services, which for a long time steam era enthusiasts seemed to think were the preserve of the "modern" diesel era.

Though Presflos were commonly seen in block trains, there were exceptions.  Some time ago MRJ ran an article on Presflos which (to my surprise) said that they could be seen in penny numbers on many branchlines, being unloaded using rudimentary-looking machinery in odd corners of station goods yards.

Tony

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
On 28/12/2021 at 09:03, Tony Wright said:

And, here's a Grimsby-Peterborough.

1360443115_WRvan01.jpg.1924b15efaa1dca739f1a095a1d2ca00.jpg

Could that be an ex-GW 'Fruit D' at the front? 

Again, please respect copyright.

Food for thought? 

I'm just catching up on the huge number of posts on here during the last week. I'm afraid that I can't add much to the goods wagon debate although I've found it fascinating....and scary when I look at my goods trains!

However this photo caught my eye, not for the fruit D from 'the other railway' but for the third coach which I believe is a D.305 steel panelled CK in maroon. Can anyone confirm my suspicions? If so, I'm quite surprised to see one in a steel five set as late as the maroon era as I thought they'd all been replaced by Mk1 or Thompson CKs by that time. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I'm just catching up on the huge number of posts on here during the last week. I'm afraid that I can't add much to the goods wagon debate although I've found it fascinating....and scary when I look at my goods trains!

However this photo caught my eye, not for the fruit D from 'the other railway' but for the third coach which I believe is a D.305 steel panelled CK in maroon. Can anyone confirm my suspicions? If so, I'm quite surprised to see one in a steel five set as late as the maroon era as I thought they'd all been replaced by Mk1 or Thompson CKs by that time. 

Hi Andy

I would say yes it is, on my work bench as I type is some plastic card waiting to have holes made it so it can represent a short steel CK, and I am doing its big brother as well.

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

I would say yes it is, on my work bench as I type is some plastic card waiting to have holes made it so it can represent a short steel CK, and I am doing its big brother as well.

Thanks Clive,

I look forward to seeing your take on these somewhat different coaches. You may remember I built the shorter D.190 version from the Southern Pride sides (they market them as D.305 but they're not). I rather mucked up the paint job as I went for LNER brown (because I couldn't face painting ersatz teak on a non panelled vehicle) and chose a rather too orangey colour (Precision Golden Teak). Still an interesting vehicle.

Andy

D190.jpeg.018cb8cef10258a66cc2bd08854686da.jpeg

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 8

Progress on my very first coupled chassis, the High Level Kits 03 kit for the Bachmann body.  I'm building it for P4 with compensation and it has been frustratingly rewarding so far and, I hope, not too bad for a first attempt...

Of course, this is the easy part, gearbox assembly is up next along with riveting the two parts of the coupling rods together and horn blocks to fit so plenty of opportunity to screw it up to come :) and, as Tony says, at least I've made it myself.

IMG_3281.jpeg.c2ed51a62f20bca5e1bab694f59e1dba.jpeg

John

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

This years model list is a work in progress.

The spray room is currently difficult to get in due to loft being emptied.

Started last Christmas with a Swindon Cross Country DMU, (120) semi sratch built. with Triang floors, roofs, 5 MJT and 1 High Level bogie, lots of resin bits from my own moulds.

Currently behind the tree awaiting another coat of paint stripper before being resprayed.

1 Airfix B set carriage resprayed.

2 Bitsof Hawsworth C83 in maroon awaiting glazing

1 Comet Sunshine D127 BTK in primer

1 Comet D83 in fitting handrails

1 Comet C73 in body assembly

1 Comet C54 still in box

Various wagons including Airfix cattle, Ratio vans and opens, Chivers MDVs, awaiting pre and post 65 Bauxite.

A station building in bare form awaiting the time to fit drain pipes and the like

a 6 car Swindon InterCity, Snow Hill Cardiff set as far as sides.

Next years jobs are complete the 120, complete and paint the 4 above Comet stock.

Buy an E148

Spray all my wagons

Build the early DMU

Finish my ex MR 2P

Do the 5 Airfix aircon rebuilds currently queuing.

Get the upstairs room sorted to start on the BR (WR) branch project.

Locos I need include

2 GWR 45xx

3 47s

1 37

• Like 5

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

As it's 'show and tell' time, I present a selection of my modelling for this year. I'm not up to the quality of many of the people who present models on here, but I'm slowly improving and I think my quantity is well up there!

I've done a lot of O gauge this year working on stock for the new club O gauge layout which is a Minories style London terminus set in the inter war years.

In O gauge there have been a lot of Kirk kits. They are excellent vfm by O gauge standards and I rather enjoy the modular nature where the coaches sides are assembled from individual door & window components - rather like the cut 'n' shuts I used to do with my 00 Kirk kits.

Here we have:

20210226_104023676_iOS.jpg.9b768d9f85994c1795e08e7fa5d1f18b.jpg

A BT-T twin art.

20210416_100101471_iOS.jpg.ef408271ed3c47b0a8193579861606f1.jpg

A BG.

20210828_112307970_iOS.jpg.1c9cc37d89d7af8d49503b73c2025880.jpg

Half a quad art with some underframe and interior work still required. The second half is well under way.

20210307_103728707_iOS.jpg.b44cdb8bf01ccd9248690da229fbe64c.jpg

A F-T twin art. I have finished this off but can't find a finished photo and it's packed away at the moment.

On the 0 gauge loco front, three locos were completed:

20210711_101458241_iOS.jpg.e76b9a318e1d6e65d04b1cbab865b6e2.jpg

I built this NMRS/ Meteor C12. A lovely kit and quite easy to put together.

20211130_134351661_iOS.jpg.143d56419077217c90151469f6eda824.jpg

I also built this J69 from 3D printed parts sitting on a Dapol Terrier chassis.

20210329_125753844_iOS.jpg.4bb1007535eaa9804e34e3531fb72a4f.jpg

And finally fettled this ready built kit with new pick ups etc. and repainted into LNER livery.

In 00, there were a few loco projects:

68815.jpg.630ddb05fb05eef49db8c339eebb85ce.jpg

A BEC J69 bought for next to nothing several years with the basic body assembled and a couple of slabs of brass as the beginnings of a chassis. It's been in the roundtoit pile since then but finally got completed this year. I'm afraid it still awaits weathering!

20210613_100629865_iOS.jpg.1f8825b69c936da93e222c406b83cd50.jpg

An ex GC F2 from a Cotswold kit bought in terrible condition and fettled with some SE Finecast parts. It sits on a Bachmann L&YR chassis. @richard i of this parish took the other halves (ancient chassis and Bachmann body with a few SE Finecast bits) and built a rather splendid GCR version which has been shown on here.

20210911_211447639_iOS.jpg.2573bc48385c0b038bd57a4521302f41.jpg

Jamieson V2 on Comet chassis cobbled together from different eBay purchases. 

20210329_084548644_iOS.jpg.a60bc6cfab0b662f592ab97737853e9f.jpg

Hornby A2/3 renumbered and weathered.

20210322_114738983_iOS.jpg.7ae875cbd75527904da247da8af67af4.jpg

Bachmann WD renumbered and weathered.

20210613_095337911_iOS.jpg.be1c0906448c7c59aff1c023e56bf614.jpg

Heljan O2 weathered.

2881.jpg.f62ba5a425c07e7ba0d04ee075309557.jpg

Bachmann C2 backdated to late LNER condition as 2881 based on a photo in Eric Neve's East Coast from KX.

On the 00 coach front, there's just one entry. This GNR BCL from an Isinglass kit. I had pestered Andy Edgson for this for a couple of years and it finally paid off. They survived on KX outer suburban services until the mark 1s and it looks rather good with my Bachmann C2 (as above).

20211213_132329851_iOS.jpg.984fe351fd7368c5994a566252317d9f.jpg

That's all folks!

Andy

Good evening Andy,

Thanks ever so much for showing us all your models.

Don't 'belittle' your efforts, either. It's 'real' railway modelling in my book; personal and self-reliant. You've built from kits/scratch, made 'silk purses' from some sows' ears and exploited what the RTR chaps have to offer. All-round modelling I'd say, so well done. 

And, all the best for the New Year.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Good evening again Andy,

I think you're right - it is D.305 CK, definitely in maroon.

The photograph was taken post-1961, so it's quite late for such a 'complete' steel-sided Gresley five-set.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

The LMS van discussion

I have in front of me the Ratio kit and the Dapol RTR.

Ratio requires the strapping added, flat as well not L.

Dapol at first appears OK but the chassis does look wrong, more later BR

I have found some decent views on HMRS Paul site, does require new chassis.

Also need to check axles boxes on each photo.

Also closer checks show that there is are 2 ex LMS and a BR in the same set, all XP

Ply to be VVV

BR LMS van

Ex LMS van

BR Plank VB GWR van

6 plank open

6 plank open

Ex LMS van

When were the white boxes for running numbers and later on TOPS code introduced, one in particular looks like it has the 3 line box?

• RMweb Premium

Piccies shown previously

Comet BTK pre primer

IMG-20211022-WA0001.jpeg.89c1026cd19f65f4b8b99c26c607552f.jpeg

Swindon DMU pre strip, paint came off while tidying the border

480864452_2021-10-3014_30_29.jpg.668bef87e6b8eecdf01b056f3e493ed5.jpg

The 2 x C83 in paint

1350783800_2021-10-3016_49_52.jpg.d4fecbf9f8a378bbfe202a7ac425aec9.jpg

Interior and chassis for BTK, interior is Cameo 4 cut as eaasier than Comet parts

1007387975_2021-11-1316_42_31.jpg.e456cc3d4dc79b77c468ef39b596c59e.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I have 3 projects on the go

Garage BR layout I need to restart lots of BR blue, will be based on Lickey route

a Cornish branch in 1960 or so (GWR stock and 45xx and NBL 22)

somewhere around Gloucester in mid late 50s, (IC DMU, 2P, 4P and more)

• Like 2

Ta-ra 2021,

won't miss ya, wouldn't want to kiss ya.

Proud to survive isolation and attempted cancelation. Poked a big stick at terrible freight trains and even more terrible stock and rip off products. Talked up the height of LMS vans, delineated (in accidental collaboration) GM wagons from minerals. Challenged the veracity of the official railway modelers list of ubiquitous objects. No to SR Van C's, bogie van B's and gangway luggage vans. Where are all the SR PMV's on LB? 

Will it make any difference? Not on your Nellie.  Nostalgia and Accuracy are about as nourishing compatible as moonbeams on toast.

Forwards.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2