Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Bachmann body and Parkside underframe, Bob's your uncle.

spacer.png

Bachmann body and Bachmann 4-shoe AVB underframe for ex-LMS as updated by BR and they have an extra wagon in the range with zero new-tooling costs...

John

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Apart from some small detail bits, the DJH Raven A2 is now complete and all but ready to go off to Geoff Haynes for painting. 

1660254386_DJHRavenA221.jpg.f9cf9c41203034cc9732f6406f5260b5.jpg

Certainly an interesting build, and, though I know this is subjective, one of the least-elegant big locos I've ever seen. Along with the first Gresley A1s, this year marks the centenary of this unsuccessful class (the first LNER-built locos to be withdrawn).

Compared with its contemporary, the Gresley A1, it's really old-fashioned, even with a big tender.

I'm basing it on the final appearance of 2400 (Fig. 200 in the RCTS Part 2A), with windjabber taken off the chimney, screw reverse, and Westinghouse equipment removed. I can't tell if the piston tail rods have been removed by 1936. Does anyone know, please?

A2 Piston rods not covered in RCTS  as all, all very dark in that area in of the few photos I have . I would leave them on , easy enough to cut off in due course if needed. My City of durham still has them on.  RCTS says 2400 had sight screens fitted to the cab sides in 1936, the same time as the Capuchon was removed from the chimney.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Brian D said:

The bending of a suitable one piece hand rail now fills me with dread but.......hey ho, nothing ventured as they say.

I've only ever made a couple and they're certainly not perfect but my tip would be to start with the front part, then the right-angled bends (don't forget to put the front centre knob on the rail, not the loco, before you do this) and finally just trim the straight bits to fit.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I've only ever made a couple and they're certainly not perfect but my tip would be to start with the front part, then the right-angled bends (don't forget to put the front centre knob on the rail, not the loco, before you do this) and finally just trim the straight bits to fit.

I've made quite a few over the years, mostly for ex GC locos. It's simply a matter of trial and error - just take your time. No one should fear this. I always start with one of the front corner bends and then work up over the smokebox curve. Just ensure you have enough for the straight sides when the curve is done.

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Brian D said:

Dear Mr Wright,

Oh dear (or words to that effect).  My DJH D20 kit build is currently stalled while I pluck up the courage to fabricate the continuous boiler handrail.  To learn that a builder of your vast experience finds this fabrication a faff turns my legs to jelly.  At the moment I'm just positioning the hand rail knobs each side utilising a straight piece of hand rail - see below.

IMG_20211208_162032.jpg.8430b969dacda014f8b91eca1b85c42a.jpg

The bending of a suitable one piece hand rail now fills me with dread but.......hey ho, nothing ventured as they say.

Regards,

Brian.

The left hand rail stops short at the front "knob" which is in fact the blower valve operated by a rod through the handrail from the cab. The rail restarts at a stanchion 2mm forward.

Don't forget the  curve around the Westinghouse pump on the right. This has a knob either of it.

ArthurK

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I spent this evening working on the South Western Circle photographic collection and was collating M7s   So this is my contribution to the great container debate.  Taken at Clapham Junction, probably in the 1930s so could still be in copyright but there were no details on the obverse.  Bill

M7  170.jpg

• Like 18

54 minutes ago, bbishop said:

..... and a contribution to the "how many SR vans in a train" discussion, passing Chelsea and Fulham station in 1950.  What are the LNER vans?  This one definitely in copyright.  Bill

M7  050.jpg

Good evening bbishop,

great picture.

Don't you mean how many LMS vans? I can see four and four LNER vans, including an ECJS or GNR full brake and in addition a possible Conflat S. Coming to the Southern NPC's, the leading van is a PMV, these were the only SR NPC's built in serious quantities, more than 800 by the SE&CR and the SR and about 150 by BR. Not as many as the 20,000 LNER 6 plank wagons, numbers don't count for ubiquitous status, perhaps they should have been painted green? The southern NPC's, that featured in the photographs of LB upthread, van C, bogie van B and gangwayed bogie luggage brake, were not built in anything like the quantities of the PMV. The luggage brakes were particularly jealously guarded by the SR, who were very reluctant to release them abroad.

Edited by Headstock
clarify a point
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good evening bbishop,

great picture.

Don't you mean how many LMS vans? I can see four and four LNER vans, including an ECJS or GNR full brake and in addition a possible Conflat S. Coming to the Southern NPC's, the leading van is a PMV, these were the only SR NPC's built in serious quantities, more than 800 by the SE&CR and the SR and about 150 by BR. Not as many as the 20,000 LNER 6 plank wagons, numbers don't count for ubiquitous status, perhaps they should have been painted green? The southern NPC's, that featured in the photographs of LB upthread, van C, bogie van B and gangwayed bogie luggage brake, were not built in anything like the quantities of the PMV. The luggage brakes were particularly jealously guarded by the SR, who were very reluctant to release them abroad.

However, with an M7 on the front,  that is almost certainly a short-distance inter-regional transfer working that will be split up when it reaches its destination. It is therefore unlikely to reflect the typical appearance of formations on the main lines of either of the regions it served.

Yes, the Southern was always very short of Passenger brakes, and the Vans B were rarely allowed to escape the region until the late 1950s, Even then many were allocated to specific circuits, and the ones with stoves were still kept on a very tight leash.

From 1958/9, the SR acquired Stanier/Gresley/Thompson BGs from the LMR and ER (where they had been rendered surplus by generous deliveries of new BR Mk1s). They greatly eased the shortage of such vehicles on the SR and the gangways made them more useful than the Vans B for many duties, so those began to wander.

Quite why BR didn't just send some of the Mk1 BGs to the SR, I've never fathomed. They didn't receive any until 1963, and those were second-hand! Does make things more interesting for us modellers, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

You have my address :laugh_mini:

Good morning Jesse,

Are you serious? If you'd like her, she's yours (we'll negotiate a price, which you can pay in stages if you wish). 

You already have 2400, of course (with a small tender and Westinghouse brakes). I could get Geoff to do this one as 2401 if you wish (assuming someone makes the 'plates), because, in this condition, she could run with A4s in blue. 

Best regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, bbishop said:

I spent this evening working on the South Western Circle photographic collection and was collating M7s   So this is my contribution to the great container debate.  Taken at Clapham Junction, probably in the 1930s so could still be in copyright but there were no details on the obverse.  Bill

M7  170.jpg

I am not too familiar with SR wagons but that looks like a long wheelbased type loaded with two containers. It is a shame the photo cuts off nearly all the second one as I don't recall seeing such an arrangement before. It would make a very unusual model if that is what it is.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I am not too familiar with SR wagons but that looks like a long wheelbased type loaded with two containers. It is a shame the photo cuts off nearly all the second one as I don't recall seeing such an arrangement before. It would make a very unusual model if that is what it is.

The SR did have some such wagons, 150 in all built to Diagram 1383 in 1931, originally half were fitted, half not, but later all fitted.

Designated Conflat C and D, with at least some later rebranded as Low Fit (two words). They were built on a wheelbase of 18' 7" and were intended for the carriage of containers or road vehicles.

See Southern Wagons, Volume 4, pps 47 and 50 for details. 

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The SR did have some such wagons, 150 in all to Diagram 1383 originally half fitted, half not but later all fitted.

Designated Conflat C and D, with at least some later rebranded as Low Fit (two words). They were built on a wheelbase of 18' 7" and were intended for the carriage of containers or road vehicles.

See Southern Wagons, Volume 4, pps 47 and 50 for details. 

John 

Thanks for that information. My library doesn't have much SR in it but I have a friend who does follow that company and I will have a look when I next visit him. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

However, with an M7 on the front,  that is almost certainly a short-distance inter-regional transfer working that will be split up when it reaches its destination.

The head signal denotes trains between Clapham Junction and Kensington Olympia, which fits the location.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

Are you serious? If you'd like her, she's yours (we'll negotiate a price, which you can pay in stages if you wish). 

You already have 2400, of course (with a small tender and Westinghouse brakes). I could get Geoff to do this one as 2401 if you wish (assuming someone makes the 'plates), because, in this condition, she could run with A4s in blue. 

Best regards,

Tony. 

I was only joking, but now I’m like “Tony why do this to me” and “yes please” :laugh:

I’ll ring you later on tonight? 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I tend to make them in 2 parts. Joining in the front handrail knob. I think the idea came from John Haynes in the MRJ many years ago.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

It’s okay, I know people in the Model Railway Blackmarket trade. 

No joking with all the new rules being dropped in expect speedboats laden one way with British outline and the other Continental HO (and output of Shapeways) to be  plying their trade between the flooded river valleys (rea) on the south west and the coast of Brittany and Normandy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, MJI said:

No joking with all the new rules being dropped in expect speedboats laden one way with British outline and the other Continental HO (and output of Shapeways) to be  plying their trade between the flooded river valleys (rea) on the south west and the coast of Brittany and Normandy.

"Five and twenty ponies, Trotting through the dark -

Brandy Hornby for the Parson, 'Baccy Bachmann for the Clerk.

Them that asks no questions isn't told a lie -

Watch the wall my darling while the Gentlemen go by!"

(with apologies to Rudyard Kipling)

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

However, with an M7 on the front,  that is almost certainly a short-distance inter-regional transfer working that will be split up when it reaches its destination. It is therefore unlikely to reflect the typical appearance of formations on the main lines of either of the regions it served.

Yes, the Southern was always very short of Passenger brakes, and the Vans B were rarely allowed to escape the region until the late 1950s, Even then many were allocated to specific circuits, and the ones with stoves were still kept on a very tight leash.

From 1958/9, the SR acquired Stanier/Gresley/Thompson BGs from the LMR and ER (where they had been rendered surplus by generous deliveries of new BR Mk1s). They greatly eased the shortage of such vehicles on the SR and the gangways made them more useful than the Vans B for many duties, so those began to wander.

Quite why BR didn't just send some of the Mk1 BGs to the SR, I've never fathomed. They didn't receive any until 1963, and those were second-hand! Does make things more interesting for us modellers, though.

John

Morning John,

agreed, it's very obviously a transfer working and a very typical transfer working at that. One of my own trains built for LSGC, has a sealed LNER BG working from Nottingham, loaded with tobacco products and parcels for the Southern region.

• Informative/Useful 2

52 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I was only joking, but now I’m like “Tony why do this to me” and “yes please” :laugh:

I’ll ring you later on tonight? 

Be careful Jesse, Tony may be in a very bad mood depending on the state of the Test Match.  Bill

• Funny 3