Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I'm sure that you are correct - however, my MRJ valvegear etch has none of the characteristics that I associate with SS, and has shown a tendency to rust.

CJI.

That might be why the etchers say they can't do it although they are happy with stainless. Many years ago I tried etching with the shim steel I use, the results weren't exactly unusable (it was for Stirling 4-2-2 splasher faces) they were very rusty almost immediately.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Thing is, our brains unconsciously edit the input from our eyes so we "see" what we expect (or want) to see. Even the latest digital cameras aren't that clever, yet! :unsure:

The same happens to me when typing documents; they look fine on the screen and I only notice the errors when I print a hard copy....

John

Thanks John, 

'they look fine on the screen and I only notice the errors when I print a hard copy....'

I notice that phenomenon (though it's so common that it hardly qualifies as such). 

I also find a blooper in my work when something is published, usually highlighted by a (metaphorical) flashing neon arrow, despite my having proof-read a piece at least twice, and it also having been looked at by others. 

Also, beware the assumption......... I was once asked by a designer what a chapter I'd written should best be called? 'How about 'Personalities', I suggested. 'Fine', and off she went to arrange the chapter heading. Though the chapter itself had been proofed (and was correct), on publication, what came out was 'Personalites'! 

I wonder, have I ever written anything which is free of bloopers? Probably not, though most are just careless typo errors which haven't been intercepted. 

I suppose the likes of Wright writes is a kind of publication, written by numerous authors. In a way, that's why I'm perceived as being a bit 'fussy' with regard to the use of English. Some posters (not through typo errors) write in a way which is contradictory to the views they're trying to express, but take issue at times when it's pointed out. If there's something wrong with anything I've written, I want it pointed out. 

Heh-Hoh, it makes for a most-interesting thread................... 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Nope - but as a 'Swindon Premium Apprentice', such mythical productions must have been a huge cut above the output of the common herd! ;)

John.

Thanks John,

I recall an occasion when he wrote a piece (if I recall correctly) on the composition of Midland Red paint; its constituents, both physical and chemical.

Two months later it was absolutely 'ridiculed' by a professional research chemist (his name escapes me, but I think he emigrated to Canada, was well known at the time and was a good modeller himself). 

I don't recall much being written by 'Robbo' after that.............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks John,

I recall an occasion when he wrote a piece (if I recall correctly) on the composition of Midland Red paint; its constituents, both physical and chemical.

Two months later it was absolutely 'ridiculed' by a professional research chemist (his name escapes me, but I think he emigrated to Canada, was well known at the time and was a good modeller himself). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony East?

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks John,

Regards,

Tony. 

Unfortunately, we have a similar character here - no names, no packdrill!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I only ever wrote one critical letter to a model railway publication. There was a period when a certain individual was publishing lots of track planning articles in one of the big magazines. I felt they were becoming increasingly ludicrous in terms of the given space, and was finally provoked to write something after a layout plan for Kyle of Lochalsh (I think) which was completely and utterly unworkable in the space described. It wasn't just the linear issue of not allowing remotely enough room for points, but the layout would have needed to be about twice as wide as described just to accommodate the platforms. Typically, this writer was someone who seemed to have lots of opinions on modelling matters but one never saw anything of their actual modelling.

The editor wrote back to me that they were starting to have some concerns themselves, and not long after publishing my letter, the track planning articles stopped appearing. I didn't take any pleasure from the experience, I must say, but it seemed to me that if these plans were taken seriously, there were going to be a lot of newer modellers being taken in and wasting time and money on proposals that simply weren't achievable.

Al

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I only ever wrote one critical letter to a model railway publication. There was a period when a certain individual was publishing lots of track planning articles in one of the big magazines. I felt they were becoming increasingly ludicrous in terms of the given space, and was finally provoked to write something after a layout plan for Kyle of Lochalsh (I think) which was completely and utterly unworkable in the space described. It wasn't just the linear issue of not allowing remotely enough room for points, but the layout would have needed to be about twice as wide as described just to accommodate the platforms. Typically, this writer was someone who seemed to have lots of opinions on modelling matters but one never saw anything of their actual modelling.

The editor wrote back to me that they were starting to have some concerns themselves, and not long after publishing my letter, the track planning articles stopped appearing. I didn't take any pleasure from the experience, I must say, but it seemed to me that if these plans were taken seriously, there were going to be a lot of newer modellers being taken in and wasting time and money on proposals that simply weren't achievable.

Al

They were spectacular in their ‘optimism’, I too mentioned it verbally to the editor around the same time. Published track/layout planning is one of those subjects where it’s best to take the plan with a pinch of salt, as in my experience translating them to a 3D model has never worked. All too often elements such as buildings and approach roads are impossible to fit as shown. 
I mentioned this to a well known (published) designer, and he really lied that the plans should be considered as concepts, especially if using RTL track rather than custom built.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

Al

Good afternoon Al,

I don't know how many 'critical' letters I've written to model railway magazines in the past, but certainly more than one. A few have been published, and some just dumped. One resulted (after a long period) in a lasting friendship, and work coming my way. Obviously, I'll not mention names, but the story goes something like this.........

Quite a few years ago, a certain model railway magazine published an article on how to make a Pullman train, using the then-current Hornby starting points and a range of etched additions. The problem was that none of the Hornby cars was suitable, even after extensive alterations. What was needed were entirely new sides (which nobody made, nor ever has done), different bogies and different underframes, among other things. I pointed these out in my letter to the (then) editor. What I got back (in as polite terms as possible) was a reply stating that the editor had been in model railway publishing for decades, knew his market and doubted that anyone else would know. I accepted that, and there the matter rested. 

Until, a few years later, I was confronted by the publisher of the said magazine at one Warley show, threatening legal action against me! When I asked why, he aggressively told me (not asked) that I was 'Felstead'. 'Who?', I asked. 'You know, the bloke who's been putting it about on the internet that our recently-featured article on detailing a Hornby A3 is absolute rubbish. It's damaging potential sales!'. 

One can imagine my incredulity. It was at a time when, though I'd heard of the internet, my knowledge of it was even less (much less) than it is now. I pointed out to the fuming questioner that 'Felstead' was the first production A3, but any association I had with it was nothing, other than knowing its history. 'But you must be 'Felstead'', he replied. 'Why do you insist upon this?'. 'Because, when I asked on the internet who 'Felstead' might be, I got this answer' - 'Could it be a modeller, domiciled in Wolverhampton, who's built dozens of A3s, written several articles about them (both prototype and model) and has taken many photographs of them?'. Two and two made a lot more than four in this case! 'Then who is 'Felstead'?', he demanded (typically, as is far too common on social media, 'Felstead', whoever he was, didn't give his name - or her name if it were a woman). 

Anyway, 'Felstead' had provided a list of at least 50 (yes 50!) faults with regard to the model. By coincidence, Ian Rathbone and I had discussed the self-same model, and, although we didn't find that many faults, we found several. The loco in question (60035 WINDSOR LAD) was fitted with German deflectors and a GNR tender, somethings it never had. There were numerous detail inaccuracies, and the livery was a work of fiction. Since the article was headed 'Masterclass', I puzzled over which class it was supposed to be aimed at. Though in use when I first started teaching (over 50 years ago), the term 'educationally sub-normal' (ESN) was used to describe the mentally less-able, but it is now (correctly) far too un-PC, but it did spring to my mind! Can one be 'cancelled' for thinking something? 

After the publisher had accepted my not being 'Felstead', he said to me 'We need to talk'. It thus transpired that I was invited over to the magazine's HQ for a meeting with him and the editor, where it was discussed how I might contribute to the publication. The previous Pullman correspondence was mentioned, but we all parted as friends, and I then received numerous commissions for photography, writing how-to articles and prototype histories. A situation I fulfilled until taking full-time employment with BRM in 2003. An excellent conclusion all round, especially as Warners allowed me to fulfil commitments I'd already made to the other magazine. 

So, who knows what might happen after a critical letter? And, who is 'Felstead'?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

Mentions of Robbo Ormiston Chant got me Googling a bit, as I also remember his articles and letters as a youngster.  It seems he was a member of the Manchester MRS who passed away in 1994.  There are references to him being the kit builder for a model shop in Deansgate; one thread has a piece from a contributor who apparently bought a Jamieson Jubilee built by him.  Enough time spent trawling the net; back to wagon building…

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JamesSpooner said:

Mentions of Robbo Ormiston Chant got me Googling a bit, as I also remember his articles and letters as a youngster.  It seems he was a member of the Manchester MRS who passed away in 1994.  There are references to him being the kit builder for a model shop in Deansgate; one thread has a piece from a contributor who apparently bought a Jamieson Jubilee built by him.  Enough time spent trawling the net; back to wagon building…

Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

Have you discovered pictures of his work? As far as I can recall, though he wrote extensively, there were few, if any, photographs of what he was talking about. I could be wrong (and, more probably, forgetful) and be doing him an injustice.

Anyone got any pictures of Robbo's work, please? If nothing else, out of historical interest.  

Regards,

Tony. 

Good news!

The Raven A2 which was once the property of the late John Brown and is currently owned by Jesse Sim in Oz has been sold (thanks Richard). 

Jesse is now going to buy the one I've made to replace it (it being more-appropriate for his time period), at a rather greater cost, of course! 

Richard I's happy, Jesse's happy, Geoff Haynes will be happy to paint it and I'm happy. A win-win-win-win situation all round. 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Is anyone interested in a DJH Raven A2 NER tender? 

The prototypes for these were not scrapped when the five locos received eight-wheeled LNER tenders, but were fitted to NER-allocated J39s. So, if anyone wants to model one of the quintet up to their withdrawal, this tender is just the thing (they were larger than any other NER tender). Just the thing behind a renumbered Bachmann J39. 

I'm asking £40.00 for it, complete with wheels. I'll split the amount with CRUK. 

Please PM me if interested. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Nigel,

Have you discovered pictures of his work? As far as I can recall, though he wrote extensively, there were few, if any, photographs of what he was talking about. I could be wrong (and, more probably, forgetful) and be doing him an injustice.

Anyone got any pictures of Robbo's work, please? If nothing else, out of historical interest.  

Regards,

Tony. 

Only thing I have any record of is a series of five articles on building cast metal kits that was published in the MRC in 1971.

According to my magazine database, I extracted them and they are in my Construction File, Section 8. However, my physical filing is somewhat less efficient than my indexing and they aren't all in one place, so it may take a while to locate that binder...

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Re Robo Ormstan Chant, I have looked up the "Railway Modeller" from c1962 and his articles appear regularly, sketches of "How to do It" but never photo's of the finished article. He also from time to time wrote for the other two contemporary magazines.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JamesSpooner said:

It seems he was a member of the Manchester MRS who passed away in 1994.  There are references to him being the kit builder for a model shop in Deansgate; one thread has a piece from a contributor who apparently bought a Jamieson Jubilee built by him.  

I'd googled that self-same nugget, dated 29 Nov 2006. If he was employed as a professional model-maker, it might be that photographs of his work were regarded as the property of the commissioner of the model. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Re Robo Ormstan Chant, I have looked up the "Railway Modeller" from c1962 and his articles appear regularly, sketches of "How to do It" but never photo's of the finished article. He also from time to time wrote for the other two contemporary magazines.  

He also contributed to the South Western Circular, the society house magazine; especially enthusiastic about the New Forest for some reason, especially Woodfidley (sic).    Bill 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Adam,

That's him. Why I couldn't recall his name escapes me - but then so do many other things!

Regards,

Tony. 

Robbo appeared on an episode of one of Bob Symes TV series. I have seen it on YouTube. I seem to recall one of his models.

I'll try and find the episode and take a screen shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, micknich2003 said:

Though, TBF very few "amateur" cameras of the time were capable of producing material fit for publication and anything that readily could (usually German) was still quite hard to come by in the UK prior to the "Japanese Invasion". 

A screw-in supplementary close-up lens on a Kodak Retinette was about as good as model photography got for normal mortals. Getting consistently good results with that took a lot of (expensive) practice. We take viewing through the taking lens for granted these days but 'twas not always so.

The removal of rigorous UK import quotas on Japanese gear only happened in 1962. In 1957, for instance, the total value allowed into the UK, for the whole year, was £15,000 and the lion's share would have ended up in professional hands. I didn't get my mitts on my first Japanese SLR until the mid-to-late sixties, a Soligor TM. I still have it, it still works, and it still feels wonderful in the hand....    

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Like everyone else I seem to have drawn a blank on photos of models made by Robbo Ormiston Chant.  The nearest I could get was a copy of an article published in the MRC in February 1972, which had some demonstrative photos, but I am pretty certain the photo of the Wills D1 tank is straight from the Wills catalogue (unless, of course, he was building kits in the 1960’s for Wills?), so no further forward, I’m afraid.

Nigel

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good news!

The Raven A2 which was once the property of the late John Brown and is currently owned by Jesse Sim in Oz has been sold (thanks Richard). 

Jesse is now going to buy the one I've made to replace it (it being more-appropriate for his time period), at a rather greater cost, of course! 

Richard I's happy, Jesse's happy, Geoff Haynes will be happy to paint it and I'm happy. A win-win-win-win situation all round. 

So I should probably send it over aye? 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, bbishop said:

He also contributed to the South Western Circular, the society house magazine; especially enthusiastic about the New Forest for some reason, especially Woodfidley (sic).    Bill 

Interesting place on the SW mainline where one of the original crossing cottage buildings still survives and during one of the WWs (2nd I think) there were sidings there for military needs. A remote spot, but worth visiting, and the levelled ground where the sidings were is still visible. Post-war used for timber extraction.

I have photos from a recentish visit but not immediately to hand.

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Nope - but as a 'Swindon Premium Apprentice', such mythical productions must have been a huge cut above the output of the common herd! ;)

John.

I have vague memory of seeing the odd photo', from memory, not much chance of him putting James Beeson etc out of a job.