Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just submitted a modest article to The Clearing House (the journal of the British Railway Modellers of Australia) on my building of this London Road Models J3. 

1372753126_J319.jpg.4af8517188b2d8579ae3855e9f5fc94b.jpg

1277529346_J321.jpg.640142eb71b3e949b5203d803e0fdea6.jpg

1368018758_J325.jpg.a44b79674e50c7b122c43c3517f96e51.jpg

The TCH is an excellent publication, so I hope my piece is accepted. 

I'm sure it will be, Tony!

Anyone who'd like to know more about the British Railway Modellers of Australia (BRMA), particularly any Australian readers who are not members (yet), should go to www.brma.org.au.

Full disclosure: I am the current BRMA President and @Woodcock29 of this parish is the Secretary.

Edited by St Enodoc
punctuation
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, john new said:

Caustic soda - for cleaning, comes in biggish green packets from most supermarkets.

Baking soda - although I haven't had success with it yet in the couple of trial goes I've done when mixed with superglue it is supposed to be a good filler. Plenty of videos on YouTube showing it for repairs to diecast models.

That sold in supermarkets is most likely manufactured by Dri-Pak - and the manufacturers website is very keen to point out that it's Soda Crystals and not Caustic Soda, which is very different and a lot more hazardous.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm sure it will be, Tony/

Anyone who'd like to know more about the British Railway Modellers of Australia (BRMA), particularly any Australian readers who are not members (yet), should go to www.brma.org.au.

Full disclosure: I am the current BRMA President and @Woodcock29 of this parish is the Secretary.

Thanks John,

Congratulations on your presidency. 

I'll never forget the marvellous time Mo and I had in 2018 when it was my privilege to be invited to your annual convention as guest speaker, and our privilege to visit Australia. 

It would appear that I'm an honorary member of the BRMA, given that I have a number. Another privilege.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

I remember criticising the article on an early web forum - can’t remember which it was. Yes, the editor was somewhat upset but, as I remember, there were 103 errors in it, not 50. It was appalling.

Happy New Year

Ian R

A Happy New Year to you, too, Ian.

Was it really 103 errors? I thought that's what 'Felstead' alleged, but 'we' didn't find so many. I think some of the errors, to be fair, were minute, but they didn't alter the fact that the article was appalling.

I later found out that the reason for choosing the name WINDSOR LAD was that Windsor was the home town of one of the editorial team!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

That sold in supermarkets is most likely manufactured by Dri-Pak - and the manufacturers website is very keen to point out that it's Soda Crystals and not Caustic Soda, which is very different and a lot more hazardous.

HTH

Original now corrected with apologies, it does a good job on degreasing sinks, drains and (less frequently for me) metal models after paint stripping whatever variety of soda it is.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, polybear said:

HTH

I bought a bottle of Caustic Soda not long ago from Ebay.

• Like 1

Back to wagons for a moment, if I may.

20220108_124355.jpg.83faf23999687907d5bd78ab0ef367a9.jpg

Turns out that two 1:76 scale period tractors DO fit on a standard length single plank wagon. Most excellent. 

Meanwhile, on my LMS van adventure...

20220108_125105.jpg.54b86b8d04b7beb47a768acc4b3fc84d.jpg

On the left, two Bachmann 'squashed' vans combined to make one of approximately the correct height. On the right, a Dapol one (previously with ICI lettering and rather fanciful brake gear) now sitting in an undercoat of M82 and with replacement cobbled together brake gear which now looks more akin to LMS 8-shoe clasp gear. I'm a bit embarrassed to show my rather unrefined attempts with the Bachy vans and there's so much else still 'wrong' that I'm unlikely to repeat the experiment. Suffice to say that a roof tarpaulin will be deployed whilst the underframe thus released has not gone to waste. I'm rather more encouraged by the work on the Dapol one and I can see myself treating one or two more thus.

20220108_125206.jpg.d8d15eb67ad3b87e3ba4db71d18eb192.jpg

Meanwhile, some van kits have arrived to keep me busy!

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as this is a thread where LNER enthusiasts tend to gather, I thought it a good place for me to throw one of my "I hadn't noticed that before" thoughts up for consideration.

I have recently been looking at a cracking colour photo of LNER Pacific "Sir Hugo" in LNER days and it struck me that the handrails on the front of the tender and the cab side look to be painted dark green rather than "Grass Green" or "Apple Green". 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/busmadben/29982974995

Is a link to the photo.

I am not suggesting that all LNER green locos had dark green handrails all the time but this one certainly does when the photo was taken.

This may be common knowledge to some but it isn't something I have spotted before. Perhaps a throwback to GNR days when the lighter green had a dark green edging.

I usually get torn to shreds for mentioning such things but I thought it worth sharing with others.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Just three new books for review this time.........

1282729767_RailwaysandIndustriesinNorthWalesDeeside.jpg.5f9ceccd757718c06122085ad631f3e7.jpg

1223587995_ScottishRailwayAtlas.jpg.9101a703931acaea626af2172ceb7a2c.jpg

1343689096_TheLondonMidlandandScottishWay.jpg.44ba762dde5f6128973f4656f00e7087.jpg

All good stuff! 

The first book seems to have the strangest choice of cover photograph; since it's about railways in a specific region of the UK, surely the cover shot should be from a recognisable location in that region, not an over-cropped three-quarter view of a Class 66 with all the background removed.  It could have been taken absolutely anywhere and would be more appropriate to a book on the Class 66 itself.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

The first book seems to have the strangest choice of cover photograph; since it's about railways in a specific region of the UK, surely the cover shot should be from a recognisable location in that region, not an over-cropped three-quarter view of a Class 66 with all the background removed.  It could have been taken absolutely anywhere and would be more appropriate to a book on the Class 66 itself.

Agreed. As the saying goes, you shouldn't judge a book by the cover, but that cover puts me off. Having relatively recently moved to the area, I'm interested to learn more about what was here. That cover gives the impression the content will be lacking. By the time the 66s came on the scene most (all?) of what the book purports to be about was gone.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Seeing as this is a thread where LNER enthusiasts tend to gather, I thought it a good place for me to throw one of my "I hadn't noticed that before" thoughts up for consideration.

I have recently been looking at a cracking colour photo of LNER Pacific "Sir Hugo" in LNER days and it struck me that the handrails on the front of the tender and the cab side look to be painted dark green rather than "Grass Green" or "Apple Green". 

Is a link to the photo.

I am not suggesting that all LNER green locos had dark green handrails all the time but this one certainly does when the photo was taken.

This may be common knowledge to some but it isn't something I have spotted before. Perhaps a throwback to GNR days when the lighter green had a dark green edging.

I usually get torn to shreds for mentioning such things but I thought it worth sharing with others.

I think this picture was taken in 1946 and shows the engine as having just been repainted back into pre-war livery. There is another picture of Sir Hugo in "The big Four in Colour", page 59, but you can't make out the handrail colour any better. The caption says that it was one of only two engine repainted into pre-war livery that ran with their original numbers before recieving their new post war numbers.

Edited by Dick Turpin

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Is a link to the photo.

My eyes and brain are not seeing those as dark green, allowing for fall of light and presence of shadow.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I would see that, think "ugh shed" and move on

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

16 minutes ago, micklner said:

Sir Hugo, the colour is simply shadow . IMHO

15 minutes ago, gr.king said:

My eyes and brain are not seeing those as dark green, allowing for fall of light and presence of shadow.

I have cropped and enlarged a small section of the photo and there is no doubt in my mind.

1820757935_2582Handrail.JPG.30dca927e15dfd1cac93ae82c4d6776e.JPG

Is it only me that sees that as a different colour?

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I have cropped and enlarged a small section of the photo and there is no doubt in my mind.

If you want too, you can also say the Boiler and Cab are also different shades of Green . Colour film of the era was unreliable. Still Green to my eyes, and I never seen or read anything else to change that opinion.

Bachmann paints likes painting them Black, that doesnt make that correct either !!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I see it as a different colour.

However my experience tells me that I should not believe what I see on  computer screen.

Particularly when the original is from rather ancient colour film and comes with no details of any intermediate process.

Bernard

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I see the handrail colour as grey.

If it was the same colour as the cabside it should appear as such, however much the rendition of the green had deteriorated through age or multiple copying of the slide. 

It clearly has deteriorated, but colours on slides (even dodgy ones)  don't go off differently on one thing passing over the surface of another if they started off the same.

The firebox looks a different shade than the cab because it slopes and catches the light differently. Both are a country mile from LNER Apple green, and look closer to LSWR Adams Pea green (on my screen). 

What is more significant i that the colours of the handrails running across both appear the same. Probably something more durable than what was used on bodywork.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I see it as a different colour.

However my experience tells me that I should not believe what I see on  computer screen.

Particularly when the original is from rather ancient colour film and comes with no details of any intermediate process.

Bernard

As a "blind" test of my thoughts, I just showed the photo to 3 non railway enthusiast family members. I told them that I thought the handrails were the same colour as the cab and tender sides but I wanted them to confirm it for me as I wasn't sure.

I was told that they were clearly darker green and I must be colourblind if I couldn't  see it!

It just goes to show (but I am not sure exactly what!).

I thought it was interesting enough to post anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I see the handrail colour as grey.

If it was the same colour as the cabside it should appear as such, however much the rendition of the green had deteriorated through age or multiple copying of the slide. 

It clearly has deteriorated, but colours on slides (even dodgy ones)  don't go off differently on one thing passing over the surface of another if they started off the same.

The firebox looks a different shade than the cab because it slopes and catches the light differently. Both are a country mile from LNER Apple green, and look closer to LSWR Adams Pea green (on my screen). 

What is more significant i that the colours of the handrails running across both appear the same. Probably something more durable than what was used on bodywork.

John

My cropping and saving the image has changed the colour significantly but not the contrast between the colours. If you look at the original on Flickr via the link above, the LNER green is much better and the handrail colour looks clearly dark green rather than the sludgy colour of the cropped image. The original image is actually one of the best renditions of LNER colours that I have seen. It looks as if it could have been taken recently.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

My cropping and saving the image has changed the colour significantly but not the contrast between the colours. If you look at the original on Flickr via the link above, the LNER green is much better and the handrail colour looks clearly dark green rather than the sludgy colour of the cropped image. The original image is actually one of the best renditions of LNER colours that I have seen. It looks as if it could have been taken recently.

Much nicer, but the fact remains, whatever has happened to the slide overall, had the two colours started off the same as one another, they should still should look like it, which is the point I presume you were making.

John

9 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

As a "blind" test of my thoughts, I just showed the photo to 3 non railway enthusiast family members. I told them that I thought the handrails were the same colour as the cab and tender sides but I wanted them to confirm it for me as I wasn't sure.

I was told that they were clearly darker green and I must be colourblind if I couldn't  see it!

It just goes to show (but I am not sure exactly what!).

I thought it was interesting enough to post anyway.

I can't believe this debate is taking place!

It is patently obvious that the handrails are unpainted steel, albeit darkened in traffic. I strongly suspect that they were originally burnished for some reason.

The suggestion that they are painted dark green is, IMHO, a red herring of large proportions.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I can't believe this debate is taking place!

It is patently obvious that the handrails are unpainted steel, albeit darkened in traffic. I strongly suspect that they were originally burnished for some reason.

The suggestion that they are painted dark green is, IMHO, a red herring of large proportions.

CJI.

Thanks, I wondered about that but LNER is not my "bag", so I hesitated to suggest it.

Bare metal would presumably have been oiled during cleaning to fend off rust, too. 

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1