Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, micklner said:

The Fitzwilliam completed aka 2012.

Chassis was rewheeled using Hornby A3 lined wheels , this got rid of the rubber bands on one set and the wheels were then lined out. Yes wrong number of spokes !! I can live with them as discussed before. I little bit of lead added as there is little room inside the body. She can manage to pull 5 suburban Coaches.

Bachmann Tender  with multiplug connector between the Loco and Tender similar to Tony's version without any bare connections ! . The Cylinders should be slightly further forward, but it is not viable with the Hornby chassis. A  close up photo of the Caporotti valve gear which I bought years ago from a Pickering Yorkshire Dealer sadly no longer with us .

5D749915-E55F-417E-9065-2D04938826D8.jpeg.2572d9070b7f10b19e4fcead17f7fc4d.jpeg

4CBD60D5-DD40-4CE2-8194-798C0E2E11D5.jpeg.e67444de877dd96d4f812c870d275afc.jpeg

959A239B-2E96-4EF0-BA22-39F01393457D_1_201_a.jpeg.99716c412e63c2a5329fdeb557175668.jpeg

Thanks for posting your pictures Mick. It certainly captures the prototype nicely and shows off your fine modelling. 

The Caprotti valve gear kit looks superb. If only it were available today. Out of interest can you remember the name of the shop in Pickering. 

Thanks. 

Mark

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Thanks for posting your pictures Mick. It certainly captures the prototype nicely and shows off your fine modelling. 

The Caprotti valve gear kit looks superb. If only it were available today. Out of interest can you remember the name of the shop in Pickering. 

Thanks. 

Mark

At a total guess Westward Models or similar, he used to sell Perserverance kits as well. Chris Parrish ?? he died 5 or more year ago , he lived In Grosmont North Yorkshire I believe . No idea whatever happended to his stock.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

You might get away with it if you don't tell anybody............

It's a good job I only told you?

I only have one GWR locomotive, it's usually spare for the York Bristol or the Bournemouth York. It leaks steam everywhere in my imagination, cunningly obscuring the coal space.

Edited by Headstock
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, micklner said:

At a total guess Westward Models or similar, he used to sell Perserverance kits as well. Chris Parrish ?? he died 5 or more year ago , he lived In Grosmont North Yorkshire I believe . No idea whatever happended to his stock.

The Pickering shop was called Puffers, and was opposite the station. They also had a large shop in York, also called Puffers, but that closed some time before Chris died.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

r.e. the GCR/Morayshire tender, I contacted the preservation group today and have received this reply:-

It is as I’m sure you are aware a GC tender which has had extensive major repairs over the years certainly in BR days The frames are shortly being taken back to the steel and if we find any numbers will let folk know! The brake hangers come from different tenders as detail differences in the manufacture are apparent.

So it would appear at the moment they don't know any more than we do!

• Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, pete55 said:

They also had a large shop in York, also called Puffers, but that closed some time before Chris died.

Pete, I'm pretty sure that Puffers in York  (following their move north) closed before the model/toy shop at Pickering was re-branded as Puffers. From what I can remember the shop at Pickering was more of a toy shop as opposed to a model shop but had a small room  (on the left as you looked into the shop) that was dedicated to model railways and model rail kits.

Westward and Perseverance kits were on display in a small locked glass cabinet. I once asked about availability of a J94 chassis kit. Can't remember whether it was Westward or Perseverance.  I was told that all the kit stock was being sold to exhaustion and wouldn't be replaced as Mr Parish was to busy with other things.

Quite a few years later I was sent a price list from Mr P saying he was restating production. Next thing I heard, was that he had passed away. 

One thing that struck me was the Puffers at Pickering was but a shadow of Puffers in York. I was always impressed by the stock and books that was carried in the upstairs section of the  upstairs section of the Micklegate shop. I was less than impressed by the miserable individual that nearly always was behind the till.

P

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Pete, I'm pretty sure that Puffers in York  (following their move north) closed before the model/toy shop at Pickering was re-branded as Puffers. From what I can remember the shop at Pickering was more of a toy shop as opposed to a model shop but had a small room  (on the left as you looked into the shop) that was dedicated to model railways and model rail kits.

Westward and Perseverance kits were on display in a small locked glass cabinet. I once asked about availability of a J94 chassis kit. Can't remember whether it was Westward or Perseverance.  I was told that all the kit stock was being sold to exhaustion and wouldn't be replaced as Mr Parish was to busy with other things.

Quite a few years later I was sent a price list from Mr P saying he was restating production. Next thing I heard, was that he had passed away. 

One thing that struck me was the Puffers at Pickering was but a shadow of Puffers in York. I was always impressed by the stock and books that was carried in the upstairs section of the  upstairs section of the Micklegate shop. I was less than impressed by the miserable individual that nearly always was behind the till.

P

You are quite right about the Pickering shop being a shadow of the York shop! Agree about the upper floor in the York Micklegate one, think I spent a fair few quid there too.

The Pickering shop certainly was more of a toy shop, which was renamed Puffers as you said. 

I also remember the individual you mentioned with regard to the York shop, and he came to the Pickering shop when York closed, but I don't think remained there long. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, pete55 said:

The Pickering shop was called Puffers, and was opposite the station. They also had a large shop in York, also called Puffers, but that closed some time before Chris died.

There's a thread here regarding Perseverence Kits:

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I always knock up the basic shell first, with just a blob of solder on all four ends, fit the W irons, then check with wheels if it’s all good. Twist and bend if necessary, Then solder the body together completely. 

One thing I have trouble with is Parkside kits, the W irons and solebars are one and you have to glue them facing outwards so the wheels run freely. One thing I did do recently was use brass fittings to enhance the Parkside kit, what I might try on the next conflat I have to build is use brass W irons. 

6F317649-CE26-4694-A4AE-7D8428EF57F0.jpeg

Recently I've been putting Bedford sprung W-irons under Parkside kits and am very pleased with the result,  My main problem is that the damn things don't stay where they are put unless they are chocked.  If I can get the wheels rolling with them, anyone can.

Tony

Edited by Hollar
Absence of content
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Hollar said:

Recently I've been putting Bedford sprung W-irons under Parkside kits and am very pleased with the result,  My main problem is that the damn things don't stay where they are put unless they are chocked.  If I can get the wheels rolling with them, anyone can.

Tony

Interesting, I might have to give it a go. 

I use a similar method that Jonathan Wealleans uses, well I made something similar when he showed me his. It’s a plank of wood with track on it raised up on a slight incline, if wagons roll down it without nudging them they’re free running. The Parkside ones I spoke off wouldn’t move by finger touch, I would need a sledge hammer!!!! 

I don’t have a nice looking photo of mine, but maybe JW will show his free running testing plank. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some years ago, Roy Jackson asked me if I could sell this Mailcoach Coronation set for him......

1282579124_NotsogoodCoronation01.jpg.c6ef51a1a21727381eea6682e3c30620.jpg

1878044375_NotsogoodCoronation02.jpg.3eb428ee67a7a79f0680550ed5c5734e.jpg

It had been built (I think) by a mate, and donated to Retford, though Roy really had no use for it.

I did sell it (to Andy Sparkes?), but not for a great deal because it wasn't very good. 

It was indeed me that you sold it to. I had some fun with it but, as you say, it wasn't very good quality and that annoyed me after a while. So I sold it on eBay about 18 months ago when I heard rumours about Hornby bringing one out. I was beginning to miss it, so I'm quite pleased that Hornby have finally decided to produce one

I still have the very nice Silver Jubilee which you sold me on the same day.

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With Hornby's recent announcement of a Coronation set, I've looked back through my images to see what I could find..........

Several years ago, I had the Golden Age product to assess. There's no doubt about it, the finish (at a price, of course) was superlative. 

585063842_GoldenAgeCoronationcarsAB.jpg.c76fff3d78722e16684af377eeffddf2.jpg

Cars A & B.

8052092_GoldenAgeCoronationcarsCD.jpg.a08f2472f21c04b2e945b4e5833d2952.jpg

Cars C&D.

991335896_GoldenAgeCoronationcarsEF.jpg.2d779168cb4978e780156b83e698de93.jpg

Cars E & F.

1207179817_GoldenAgeCoronationcarsGH.jpg.366f91f810488b5e764b6c0a64ce7613.jpg

Cars G & H.

1902847739_GoldenAgeCoronationObservationCar02.jpg.4fdebbdc48e563f95942330f5bdf4d52.jpg

And the Observation Car.

988044377_GoldenAgeModelsCoronationset.jpg.3110b2318a219c1f55f3fe71059f520a.jpg

Even paying a premium price, getting the articulated cars to all ride the same, both in height and alignment, proved to be impossible. 

I have to say, visually, the whole ensemble looked fabulous. However, no matter how hard we tried (there were three mates present when I tested it), the rake just kept on derailing. Not just in one or two places, but arbitrarily; on points, crossings, curved track, straight track, anywhere! When I reported this to the proprietor he was (naturally) very annoyed, claiming that it must be poor trackwork. When I told him that the scenic-side trackwork had been made/laid by one of the finest exponents of the craft in the world (Norman Solomon) and that the fiddle yard was effectively the OO industry standard (Peco), I heard no more. The set was returned and no report of mine was published, though the proprietor did receive a set of complimentary photographs. 

I seem to recall that folk have reported changing the wheels and/or altering the springing on the GAM bogies. Am I right, here?

Hello Tony

I had a go at modifying the GAM coach sets, thankfully with success. But sadly there wasn't any comment or feedback from GAM after I had done this. Not sure if anyone did the same modification?

See page 4 of https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40088-golden-age/page/4/

Of course these will not run on 'train set' curves. Anything less than 34" radius will cause contact in the articulated coaches and buffer lock.

Part of 'how to' below:

Dave

image.png.62f07b61b51dfce5f77c39fffdfe9571.png

Edited by zr2498
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

18 hours ago, micklner said:

The Fitzwilliam completed aka 2012.

The Cylinders should be slightly further forward, but it is not viable with the Hornby chassis.

5D749915-E55F-417E-9065-2D04938826D8.jpeg.2572d9070b7f10b19e4fcead17f7fc4d.jpeg

I remeber you doing that Mick. Good looking result.

The viability of re-positioned cylinders must depend on a number of factors, including wheel type and minimum operating radius. When I detailed, modified and re-named my Hornby tender-drive Shire 20+/- years ago (to produce Lincolnshire plus tender with stepped-out copings in LNER green rather than dismal BR black) I made a new set of larger, more nearly to scale cylinders set further forward than the originals. I don't recall having any bother with them. The rest of my improvements didn't really go far enough though by modern standards. New outside motion, finer wheels and a smooth drive system in the loco would be considered essential these days...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, micklner said:

12 hours ago, pete55 said:

After Chris Parrish passed away, the Westward and Perseverance stock remained in store for some time. His widow Heather then offered it to an established kit supplier who took it on.

Unfortunately it was totally undocumented and also poorly packaged/organised so it will take some time to sort out what is available "ex-stock"and what can be re-manufactured.

• Informative/Useful 9

16 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I remeber you doing that Mick. Good looking result.

The viability of re-positioned cylinders must depend on a number of factors, including wheel type and minimum operating radius. When I detailed, modified and re-named my Hornby tender-drive Shire 20+/- years ago (to produce Lincolnshire plus tender with stepped-out copings in LNER green rather than dismal BR black) I made a new set of larger, more nearly to scale cylinders set further forward than the originals. I don't recall having any bother with them. The rest of my improvements didn't really go far enough though by modern standards. New outside motion, finer wheels and a smooth drive system in the loco would be considered essential these days...

Any photos if it still exist Graeme please ?

The last issue of the Hornby D49 is most strange effort from 2011 , they tooled up a part new design motor driven chassis ignoring the bodies etc , then only for sale for one year and have  ignored it ever since. Such a obvious Loco for a new version to be made.

Sadly Hornby  keep churning out new liveries on old tat, as well as some "good" new issues every year.

A very strange company, with a lot of their "ideas and decisions" on how to make money for their shareholders. Certainly not helped by the current "fiasco". Titfield Gate !!

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

1472492858_V260803.jpg.6de931120ff022dba1a0c7fd730ca475.jpg

Interesting photo. I can't fathom the need for the crossover to the side & in front of of the loco at the platform, the single slip on the through line seems to perform the same purpose, or am I missing something ?

Brit15

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Interesting photo. I can't fathom the need for the crossover to the side & in front of of the loco at the platform, the single slip on the through line seems to perform the same purpose, or am I missing something ?

Brit15

Possibly so that a loco could come off a train where the right hand loco is standing, go behind the disc and then cross over to the Up Through (line straight ahead of the V2) without having to occupy the level crossing?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andy,

I hope you made a profit!

I did indeed. You more or less gave me the Coronation set in order to persuade me to buy the Silver Jubilee which was much more fully priced - it was value for money but at the time was the most I'd spent on model railway kit in one day, so I had to swallow hard! 

Is this that Silver Jubilee set I sold you?

104800471_SilverJubilee01.jpg.830f56b18aa9a6731eb4592945bf6526.jpg

1326822310_SilverJubilee02.jpg.6867db64c22523a9aa482bffceac57cc.jpg

With a modified Hornby A4, this set was beautifully-built/painted by Geoff Haynes using Marc's Models' products. It was made for the late John Brown of the Spalding MRC, and I sold it on behalf of his family. 

It is indeed that set. Here is a link to it running on Gresley Jn.

It doesn't get that much use as it's out of period for me but it is a beautiful 'objet'!

There's been comment on the appropriate Hornby Coronation thread about the possibility of a Silver Jubilee set as well, though there is little commonality between it and the other streamliners, other than some of the bogies. In final form, the SJ ran as a twin and two triplets; the others were just articulated twins, apart from the Observation Car, and the diagrams were very different. The twin 1st was part-corridor, for instance. 

I'd have thought they'd do the West Roding first - much easier!

Those these great trains never ran as complete sets post-War, some of the cars did see service in BR expresses; including the ex-SJ catering triplet............

1432776518_ex-SilverJubileetriplet.jpg.d4cb8044fbeab0fa5ca086c21ef84a3c.jpg

I made this from the Mailcoach kits, using far more bad language (and sinister threats) than ever I would in building a metal locomotive!

Here's my version which you also sold to me (on my first visit). Mine is ex Gamston Bank.

21136671_FullSizeRender(1)-compressed1.JPG.1efb3e07211a05e77a2745144f443e55.JPG

I seem to remember that I came to buy an ex Coronation twin and ended up with this as well. Another expensive day!

All the best

Andy

• Like 6