Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

50 minutes ago, Chamby said:

I do wonder why the relatively straightforward task of re-liverying an available RTR product is so commonly seen as a problem, rather than an opportunity?

Locos no problem, wagons? Easy! However, the construction of modern RTR coaches, particularly with regard to glazing methods makes it quite a daunting task to do a respray. Often the glazing is firmly glued inside the body and can crack when attempting removal. Yes, masking will work but the slightest error can be disastrous!

Just my thoughts.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Well if you only paint locos plain black you won't encounter many challenges, will you? That's not really representative of the "avarage" loco repaint, especially if you include the few that get re-painted into a fully-lined multi-colour pre-group livery.

Coaches with fixed glazing don't have to have every window accurately masked if you can use a lining pen and you know how to apply suitably thinned, slow--drying paint by brush - providing that the window reveals trapped behind the fixed flush glazing are not the wrong colour of course. I got quite satisfactory results in a couple of cases by ruling around the windows with the pen, then painting in the upper panels without leaving brush marks, and finally masking off the upper side completely and spraying the lower half.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, robertcwp said:

How many of the train formations that they list are accurate, though? I looked at an article in a magazine a while back - I forget which one - where most of what I saw was very clearly inaccurate.  In fairness though, you can get a long way with RTR stock nowadays, especially in the Mark 1 or later eras. If Hornby get round to doing their LMS kitchen car in BR liveries, things will improve dramatically for LMR steam era modellers too.

I agree. I get the impression that they get as close as possible with RTR and think that’s good enough.

That’s why I’m working with BRM to do an article which includes the research side and some kit building to produce really prototypical formations. It’s gone a bit quiet at their end at the moment but I’m hopeful for some time this year.

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I have only read free copies (Warley) of Hornby magazine and to be honest I found it the least readable of the modelling magazines.

Ignoring MRJ which is in its own world.

I dropped Model Rail at resubscription time.

I now read RM and BRM and the odd MRJ if I can find it.

RM is to me still my favourite mainstream mag.

Catering cars are a pain though lets look just at BR Mark 1s, not many designs people may think. But there are at least 18 including restaurant only. Most seen were RB, RU, RMB, RK, and refurbed RU

RTR 3 or 4  (RB RU RMB RFO) Not sure if RU still available
Easy to convert from TSO (same shell) 3
Comet 6 or 7 (most of the kitchens)
247 2 (Bar and Booth)
Southern Pride 12 so lots but unsure of some of them due to no pictures.

No models AFAIK 3 or 4

No pictures of SP range so no idea if they include the very first batch of miniature buffets, or refurbished RUs hence the 3 or 4

I built a RBR/RU by filling in the unused windows on Comet sides on a Lima shell.

It is not possible to model RTR around 40% of BR expresses. And around 50% of WR in my prefered era as no refurbished RU.

I do need a RBK so may sacrifice my last Lima BG.

And my favourite RMB is the old Hornby model fitted with Replica flush glazing and fully detailed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 45568 said:

With the imminent?? release of the KR models 'Consett' 56 ton Hoppers, and having ordered a set, this week I moved a project from the 'to-do' pile to the 'done'!

Motive power for my rake will be this:

2056788030_DSCN0237(2).JPG.f0d0b37d4dec0ad7d7b10066138d8cad.JPG

This is a Hornby O1 2.8.0. fitted with air pumps and pipework for controlling the hopper doors. The model was modified using Ray Kitching's excellent how-to article in the August 2013 BRM magazine.

Ray was using a Dave Alexander kit meant for the standard 9F 2.10.0. This is no longer available so I used the excellent Dave Franks' Westinghouse pumps and modelled the other items from plastic card. The vacuum tanks on either side are from a Hornby LNER tender top, 0.7mm brass wire forms the pipework bent into submission.

The vacuum ejector pipe on the other side, not shown, was from an old Airfix Royal Scot. Vacuum/Westinghouse pipes on the buffer beam are from the Hornby B17 detail kit. Painting is by Tamiya rattlecans, transfers from Fox, chassis weathering Vallejo. (It is obvious from the clean state the loco. has just returned from Gorton Works, it won't stay this way for long!).

The bright early evening sun, (it is around 28C), certainly highlights the detail.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Looking great Peter, and thanks for the heads up on the BRM article. The advantage with access to the archive  - just printed it off.

It will probably help with the conversion I NEED TO GET ON WITH for a couple of 9F's. Rather more of a cutting and carving job with those, so need to summon up the nerve! I would expect a demand for the pumps, (perhaps) once the KR models hoppers are delivered. I was also hoping that SLW would announce a pair of Tyne Dock class 24's but it's gone quiet from them just now.

Sunshine here just now in Yorkshire but rather chilly.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 45568 said:

With the imminent?? release of the KR models 'Consett' 56 ton Hoppers, and having ordered a set, this week I moved a project from the 'to-do' pile to the 'done'!

This is a Hornby O1 2.8.0. fitted with air pumps and pipework for controlling the hopper doors. The model was modified using Ray Kitching's excellent how-to article in the August 2013 BRM magazine.

Ray was using a Dave Alexander kit meant for the standard 9F 2.10.0. This is no longer available so I used the excellent Dave Franks' Westinghouse pumps and modelled the other items from plastic card. The vacuum tanks on either side are from a Hornby LNER tender top, 0.7mm brass wire forms the pipework bent into submission.

The vacuum ejector pipe on the other side, not shown, was from an old Airfix Royal Scot. Vacuum/Westinghouse pipes on the buffer beam are from the Hornby B17 detail kit. Painting is by Tamiya rattlecans, transfers from Fox, chassis weathering Vallejo. (It is obvious from the clean state the loco. has just returned from Gorton Works, it won't stay this way for long!).

The bright early evening sun, (it is around 28C), certainly highlights the detail.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I forgot to ask Peter, did you change the smokebox door?

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I agree. I get the impression that they get as close as possible with RTR and think that’s good enough.

That’s why I’m working with BRM to do an article which includes the research side and some kit building to produce really prototypical formations. It’s gone a bit quiet at their end at the moment but I’m hopeful for some time this year.

Andy

Good afternoon Andy,

I'm having a catch-up with the managing editor next week, so I'll mention it.

Some years ago, I did a piece on making-up prototype trains in BRM (mainly BR/ER, of course), but I doubt if much else has been done since. Your piece should redress the balance.

I think you're right inasmuch as those articles on 'prototype' trains where RTR carriages are used only go as far as that, with no mention of kit-building. In fairness, as I've mentioned in many cases, my principal trains which use BR Mk.1s exploit what's available RTR (Hornby - more of late, or Bachmann - most of). Since these are the correct types, why not? All have had wheels replaced, new couplings, concertina gangways, the roof ribs removed and weathering, but their being suitable has freed my time up to make the types not available; and, most importantly, given me the time to build the catering cars, which are usually Gresley or Thompson in origin. If one is seeking to build 'accurate' trains for an ECML layout set in BR steam days, then it's that lack of appropriate catering cars which makes it all but impossible by just using RTR. 

Finally, regarding RTR, since Little Bytham is due to appear in Hornby Magazine in the future, I thought I'd better buy an issue (I usually never see it). I have to say it's beautifully-produced and well-designed. However, unless I've missed something (I've yet to read it thoroughly), it's all RTR-based; layouts, features, how-to-dos, reviews, etc. Yes, some have been nicely detailed/weathered, but it's really a sort of how-to-use catalogue of what one can buy ready-made. It's obviously in a successful market (and it's not alone), but is this the way railway modelling is going nowadays, portrayed in all forms of media? 

If it is, 'Beam me up, Scottie!). 

I'm not being 'destructively-critical' of Hornby Magazine (as I say, it's not alone), and it's clearly a very successful product and, I assume, makes plenty of money. However, I wonder how Little Bytham will fit in its pages, especially when every loco seen (and photographed, hopefully not smoking) will have been built from a kit or from scratch? And display correct lamps!

Please, keep on advocating what you do, Jol! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Andy,

Some years ago, I did a piece on making-up prototype trains in BRM (mainly BR/ER, of course), but I doubt if much else has been done since. Your piece should redress the balance.

I think you're right inasmuch as those articles on 'prototype' trains where RTR carriages are used only go as far as that, with no mention of kit-building. In fairness, as I've mentioned in many cases, my principal trains which use BR Mk.1s exploit what's available RTR (Hornby - more of late, or Bachmann - most of). Since these are the correct types, why not? All have had wheels replaced, new couplings, concertina gangways, the roof ribs removed and weathering, but their being suitable has freed my time up to make the types not available; and, most importantly, given me the time to build the catering cars, which are usually Gresley or Thompson in origin. If one is seeking to build 'accurate' trains for an ECML layout set in BR steam days, then it's that lack of appropriate catering cars which makes it all but impossible by just using RTR. 

Finally, regarding RTR, since Little Bytham is due to appear in Hornby Magazine in the future, I thought I'd better buy an issue (I usually never see it). I have to say it's beautifully-produced and well-designed. However, unless I've missed something (I've yet to read it thoroughly), it's all RTR-based; layouts, features, how-to-dos, reviews, etc. Yes, some have been nicely detailed/weathered, but it's really a sort of how-to-use catalogue of what one can buy ready-made. It's obviously in a successful market (and it's not alone), but is this the way railway modelling is going nowadays, portrayed in all forms of media? 

I'm not being 'destructively-critical' of Hornby Magazine (as I say, it's not alone), and it's clearly a very successful product and, I assume, makes plenty of money. However, I wonder how Little Bytham will fit in its pages, especially when every loco seen (and photographed, hopefully not smoking) will have been built from a kit or from scratch? And display correct lamps!

Regards,

Tony. 

May I also suggest that they use your own trackplan in any article?

When Hornby redraw them in their own 'house' style. They invariably make a complete mess of track formations.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

... along with a Stanier 12 wheel restaurant car. Now that WOULD be something. 

At least with the kitchen car, they have the tooling so it's only a question of livery. How long it takes them, if ever, is another question. The other Coronation Scot carriages would also be good in BR liveries and the opens were often used as dining cars so they would go with the kitchen car. Hornby also has the 48-seat Mark 1 open second and the open first, which were extensively used for dining on the LMR.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

15 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Robert,

I notice a BR MK1 RU in the 1951 formation. I'm not an expert on MK1's but isn't that BS?

Prototype RU appeared in 1956 and production ones from 1957. The 1951/1 Mark 1 catering cars with kitchens comprised ten kitchen cars and five restaurant firsts. They were essentially Mark 1 versions of the Thompson cars, although the five RFs went to the WR. The RU was probably the nearest available type RTR, which to me undermines the whole point of prototype formation articles. See also my point above about the LMS RK being needed in BR liveries. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Prototype RU appeared in 1956 and production ones from 1957. The 1951/1 Mark 1 catering cars with kitchens comprised ten kitchen cars and five restaurant firsts. They were essentially Mark 1 versions of the Thompson cars, although the five RFs went to the WR. The RU was probably the nearest available type RTR, which to me undermines the whole point of prototype formation articles. See also my point above about the LMS RK being needed in BR liveries. 

Thanks Robert,

I don't read the mags I'm afraid. I don't think they are really aimed at me.

39 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

PS - Hornby could do the kitchen car, and their regular LMS carriages, in 1948 experimental liveries. See the RK in LNWR livery on the left:

5941371482_c16e3e59c8_b.jpg45544_approaching-WeaverJct_c1949 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

I've packed away a lot of my railway stuff but I seem to recall that one of the Royal Scot sets was in a sudo LNWR style, though I've heard it described as purple and white, soon to be bruised knee and dirty white. I'm not sure what train is represented in the photo, was the cornice 'purple' or black?

Edited by Headstock
glitch posted reply before ready.

7 hours ago, 45568 said:

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Nice looking loco. Just remember that the 01s only handled 8 of the iron ore wagons, it’s only when the 9Fs came along that 9 wagons became the norm :) 

John

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Thanks Robert,

I don't read the mags I'm afraid. I don't think they are really aimed at me.

I've packed away a lot of my railway stuff but I seem to recall that one of the Royal Scot sets was in a sudo LNWR style, though I've heard it described as purple and white, soon to be bruised knee and dirty white. I'm not sure what train is represented in the photo, was the cornice 'purple' or black?

I think the train on the left may be a Liverpool-Euston service as there are other 1949 photos that show some of the stock in experimental livery on such services. In 1948, both sets used on the Royal Scot were in experimental liveries, one in the LNWR plum and milk and the other in chocolate and cream. The carriages were displaced to other services in 1949 when the Royal Scot became one of the first trains to carry crimson and cream. The carriages on the left are in the LNWR style livery as the chocolate and cream set had a chocolate band above the windows.

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Andy,

Regards,

Tony. 

In fairness to HM, Tim Shackleton has done some extensive rebuilds of the older pre retooled Thompsons vehicles. A while back he did an O4 to O4/8 conversion. 

I appreciate there's nothing new to readers of this thread in these topics but there could be to HM readership. 

TBH many of the monthly magazines seem very rarely to feature constructional articles.  MRJ the exception.

What's interesting is with Hornby doing the Coronation and previously the Coronation Scot. There may be more of an interest in prototype formation modelling. A while back I worked in the trade. Observation at the time was most customers didn't care or were indifferent to what was hung on the back of their latest acquisition.

Edited by davidw
Add information
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I think the train on the left may be a Liverpool-Euston service as there are other 1949 photos that show some of the stock in experimental livery on such services. In 1948, both sets used on the Royal Scot were in experimental liveries, one in the LNWR plum and milk and the other in chocolate and cream. The carriages were displaced to other services in 1949 when the Royal Scot became one of the first trains to carry crimson and cream. The carriages on the left are in the LNWR style livery as the chocolate and cream set had a chocolate band above the windows.

Evening Robert,

Ah yes, I have a big print on the wall of 46137 on a Liverpool express equipped as you describe, DRRRR. I have a couple of photographs of rather mixed 1949 formations of the Royal Scot before it eventually went ex LMS formatted Crimson and cream, then it all changed again. Having looked at the rather splendid appearance of the LNWR plum and spilt milk livery in the NRM, I cant say the BR experimental livery looked anything like it. Certainly surviving colour photographs look as repulsive as contemporary reports made out.

Provided there was no later modifications, I suppose it would be straight forwards to repaint one of the Hornby models into such a livery, or any other livery for that matter. My own LM expresses don't use Kitchen Cars, The combined Liverpool Manchester to  Glasgow express for example, uses a 'period one' but LNWR styled dining car, the livery is rebranded later period LMS.

Edited by Headstock
clarify a point
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, davidw said:

TBH many of the monthly magazines seem very rarely to feature constructional articles.  MRJ the exception.

Model Rail every month has constructional articles, as does RM. One thing to consider is the editorial teams can only print what is commissioned/submitted, and finding people who can model/photograph/write/submit in a suitable quality for publication is a challenge. There’s not too many of us around. Having said that the editors in my experience are helpful and proactive with contributors, to guide them in the process. Of my 80+ published pieces I’d estimate more than 50 of them have been a ‘doing’ article. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PMP said:

Model Rail every month has constructional articles, as does RM. One thing to consider is the editorial teams can only print what is commissioned/submitted, and finding people who can model/photograph/write/submit in a suitable quality for publication is a challenge. There’s not too many of us around. Having said that the editors in my experience are helpful and proactive with contributors, to guide them in the process. Of my 80+ published pieces I’d estimate more than 50 of them have been a ‘doing’ article. 

I find MR is very scenery orientated. You will get how to articles on static grass or water features but rarely on building rolling stock. That doesn’t float my boat so I don’t but buy it, but I’m sure others find it great.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Andy,

thanks Tony. I’ll drop Debbie an email reminder as well.

I think you’d be mad not to use the RTR mark 1s. They’re pretty good and very reasonably priced - at least second hand which is how I source nearly all of mine. But neither you or I would use the wrong mark 1 in a formation because the right one wasn’t available RTR!

I have a handful of kit built/ bashed mark 1s but they’re all for vehicles that aren’t (or weren’t in the case of BSOs) available RTR. These comprise some BSOs, 3 of the Doncaster 1957 one off prototypes, an RK and an RSO (for the heart of Midlothian).

To be fair they do a lot of how to articles on DCC - particularly sound fitting. I appreciate that these would leave you cold but I sometimes find them useful. I subscribe at the moment - but only because it was on special offer! Normally I buy the odd one which interests me.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I find MR is very scenery orientated. You will get how to articles on static grass or water features but rarely on building rolling stock. That doesn’t float my boat so I don’t but buy it, but I’m sure others find it great.

Never used to be.

If you look through the first 100 issues or so it was mainly kit building and detailing RTR with a Masterclass feature on a locomotive or rolling stock type often taking up about a dozen pages.

it was when Chris Leigh took a less active role that it started being more scenery based. Seems to have picked up again more recently with more constructional articles since George Dent has taken over as editor.

I started buying it when I returned to the hobby in the late 1990s and it was a breath of fresh air. All the others available at the time seemed very dated.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I've raised this issue on The Green Howards' Gresley Junction thread because I don't know the answer.........

It's with regard to the LNER ex-streamlined stock post-War. I know for a fact some of it ran post-War (though not as complete sets) still in two-tone blue or silver, but were there two styles of carmine/cream livery once they were repainted. Pages 48 and 49 of the Banks/Carter book on LNER trains show some of the ex-Silver Jubilee and ex-West Riding cars painted in carmine/cream, with the division at the base of the windows. The Fife Coast Express (consisting of five of the ex-Silver Jubilee cars) must be in carmine/cream because it wouldn't ever have been repainted two-tone blue. Yet, a shot of BLUE PETER on the ABERDONIAN in The Power of the A2s by Gavin Morrison clearly shows one of the BTO/RTO pairs in carmine/cream with a cream band below the windows, the division being lined. Of course, all these images are in B&W.

Does anyone have the answer, please? 

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've raised this issue on The Green Howards' Gresley Junction thread because I don't know the answer.........

It's with regard to the LNER ex-streamlined stock post-War. I know for a fact some of it ran post-War (though not as complete sets) still in two-tone blue or silver, but were there two styles of carmine/cream livery once they were repainted. Pages 48 and 49 of the Banks/Carter book on LNER trains show some of the ex-Silver Jubilee and ex-West Riding cars painted in carmine/cream, with the division at the base of the windows. The Fife Coast Express (consisting of five of the ex-Silver Jubilee cars) must be in carmine/cream because it wouldn't ever have been repainted two-tone blue. Yet, a shot of BLUE PETER on the ABERDONIAN in The Power of the A2s by Gavin Morrison clearly shows one of the BTO/RTO pairs in carmine/cream with a cream band below the windows, the division being lined. Of course, all these images are in B&W.

Does anyone have the answer, please? 

Good evening Tony,

yes there was two styles of Crimson and cream. The first as you have stated but retaining the shinny trim. This was painted out later.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Evening Robert,

Ah yes, I have a big print on the wall of 46137 on a Liverpool express equipped as you describe, DRRRR. I have a couple of photographs of rather mixed 1949 formations of the Royal Scot before it eventually went ex LMS formatted Crimson and cream, then it all changed again. Having looked at the rather splendid appearance of the LNWR plum and spilt milk livery in the NRM, I cant say the BR experimental livery looked anything like it. Certainly surviving colour photographs look as repulsive as contemporary reports made out.

Provided there was no later modifications, I suppose it would be straight forwards to repaint one of the Hornby models into such a livery, or any other livery for that matter. My own LM expresses don't use Kitchen Cars, The combined Liverpool Manchester to  Glasgow express for example, uses a 'period one' but LNWR styled dining car, the livery is rebranded later period LMS.

I have contemplated a repaint of a Coronation Scot kitchen car but the fiddly bit is that the window sliding vent detail is part of the glazing, so would be tricky to paint either cream or maroon. Hornby know full well about the livery potential but their focus for this year is understandably on another run of Coronation Scot carriages, which is good in a way as it shows that Simon Kohler's confidence in doing a full train was justified by strong sales. I hope the Coronation does likewise and have already ordered a full set, even though it's way out of my modelling time period.

• Like 2