Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

Weekdays I tend to use the site whenever I stop other stuff for a cuppa....

I'm not usually "on" as much over weekends but throughout this past one, the site seemed especially slow.

If anything, it seems somewhat more responsive this morning (using MS Edge on my laptop, haven't tried the phone yet).

John

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Several threads have been locked after becoming discussions about all that is wrong with RMWeb.

I have much sympathy with Andy York over this. He and others are clearly aware of the problems and are trying to resolve them but have perhaps run short of patience over people moaning about the situation. It would be a shame if "Wright writes" went down the same route of people complaining about either the adverts or the speed and it ended up being locked.

My suggestion would be that we keep clear of that discussion and stick to model railway matters, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for that Tony.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

BR  never specified paint colours for ‘non public’ areas so the various works continued to carry on as before. It had been the Doncaster tradition to paint the cab interior and tender front in the main body colour, so it continued under BR. As far as I am aware eight wheel tenders continued to have a green tender front. I don’t know about V2 tenders when the locos were painted green after 1956. Likewise I don’t know the Stratford practice for B2s and B17s. Does anyone in this group know?

To complete the picture ex LMS locos’ cabs were black below the waist and white above, WR body colour, SR black below and Light Stone above. I am trying to document the minefield that is the BR livery, so all comments welcome.

Ian R

My comments about not painting frames red from what I remembered only referred to ex LMS and LNER works, I didn't visit any others.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Several threads have been locked after becoming discussions about all that is wrong with RMWeb.

I have much sympathy with Andy York over this. He and others are clearly aware of the problems and are trying to resolve them but have perhaps run short of patience over people moaning about the situation. It would be a shame if "Wright writes" went down the same route of people complaining about either the adverts or the speed and it ended up being locked.

My suggestion would be that we keep clear of that discussion and stick to model railway matters, just to be on the safe side.

Tony,

Spot on!

Model railways are complicated enough without straying into "computerland" which, no doubt, most of us do not know much about. As the pertinent observation highlights, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Eric

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

SR black below and Light Stone above

If my memory is sound you are correct Michael. SR steam loco cabs black and light stone above although the light stone, as you would expect, got grubby fairly quickly.

My Hornby A4 tender front was supplied black (perhaps overhauled at Darlington?) and the W1 was supplied with a green fronted tender which I proceeeded to paint black!!!

I visited Darlington Works on a number of occasions (1963/4) and my recollection was that V2 tender fronts were painted black on green painted tenders. I am happy to be corrected on this is someone is more certain.

Kind regards,

Richard B

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Ian,

It's interesting that of the dozens (scores?) of BR green locos you've painted for me (mostly ex-LNER/BR Pacifics with eight-wheeled tenders, those tender fronts are black in the main; I think a couple of more-recent ones are green). Does this represent a more-recent finding?

I'm not complaining at all - the painting is wonderful. Any I've painted myself (not many in comparison) have black tender fronts. Geoff Haynes also paints the tender fronts black. 

Since I own so few RTR equivalents, I can't say which colour their tender fronts are painted.

Regards,

Tony.  

Good afternoon Tony ,

Regarding tender fronts on green engines in my time I am pretty sure they were green . Well I'd say pretty certain . Unless my old memory fails me .

Regards , Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rowanj said:

There was a discussion recently about the recent "retro" modelling involving 3D or resin-cast locos on RTR chassis. Here is a Hardys Hobbies NCB Industrial on an Electrotren chassis. The whole lot cost under £100. Not to everyone's taste, but an easy piece of work to get something different, and , perhaps , a way to help folk down the path of more "difficult" model construction. This one involved some research and a bit of additional detailing, neither of which are strictly necessary, but are habits worth having. Other than the pair of Wrenn wagons, everything else is kit-built.

IMG_20220124_144928.jpg.72ca9f7db6afd2e88c3d8a8ccbad90bf.jpg

On the issue of posts on the website problems, note that the title of the thread, presumably deliberately, is Modelling Musings and Miscellany. Personally, I wish there were more modelling musings and less miscellany - there are often messages more suited to a PM- but the overall breadth of content is a breath of fresh air. 

What sort of world would we live in if we only commented on things we know something about!

Good evening John,

'What sort of world would we live in if we only commented on things we know something about!'

The question is open to debate, but I've come across far too many occasions where folk have commented on things they know absolutely nothing about. And, they shouldn't have.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I've had a quick look through my RTR green-painted BR locos and it would seem that Hornby A3s and A4s have black-painted tender fronts, as do Bachmann A1s and A2s, though none of them is in original condition, so they might have been altered; I forget. 

The latest rebuilt W1 models from Hornby have blue- and green-painted tender fronts respectively.

How has TORNADO's tender front been painted during its numerous manifestations? 

It would seem that black or body colour will be correct for LNER/ER tender fronts, dependent on how (and when?) they were shopped. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Back to modelling, sort of.  the steps on the Hornby RTR models of the original W1 are a bit of a problem being out-of-gauge, and I have wondered about making a set which would be more like the prototype.

I think even the prototpe may have had tight clearances, I can't imagine how tight EM or P4 would be, but here is how Hornby's lovely model looks with a section of a public doman photo grafted on...

10000_W1_portrait4_4abcd_r2080a.jpg.8025da9335cd8e798fb2dc579e2a676e.jpg

originally

10000_W1_portrait4_7abcd_r2080a.jpg.b84863d2e6147530c4944c1c1d413155.jpg

The flangeless rear truck?  Hardly notice it guv. :)

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 12

Just a little something to add to the tender front colour debate...........

Seen of late, but a tighter crop.

1196265797_tenderfrontcolour.jpg.45079f32ab31edd3c22c3ca1b6d1e83f.jpg

Difficult to tell, but it's the best I've got. I think it's green. 

On another note; why do I bother getting my handrails straight and centre my numbers on cabsides? 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

On another note; why do I bother getting my handrails straight and centre my numbers on cabsides? 

Because most of my friends think it is odd enough that I make trains, without their thinking I make wobbly ones, and to tell them they were actually wrong would just have them shift me a couple of points further out on the Aspergers scale.

Tony

Edited by Hollar
Grammar
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Yes Tony , I rather think it's green . I have looked through Kieth Pirt's book of his colour photos in Grantham which is the best I've got and they are all debatable . I think it 's maybe like you suggest they were not all the same , or they were painted green in the latter few years which is my period . But I have to admit I do now doubt myself considering varying opinions  

I have a photo somewhere of me in Tornado's cab at Grosmont which I'm sure was green on the tender front , as shown on Graham's photo a few posts back . Having said all this , I thought handrails were black , but clearly not on your photo above . So my memory is liable to play tricks on me it seems . Nice to see the green top on the splasher though , which I agree with and which has been discussed on here before .

Regards , Roy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening Tony, I agree that it's sad when anyone - at any age - feels they should hide their interest in something so benign as model railways. It's often easy to understand why poeple do so though. Nowadays, I'm sufficiently old (55) and sufficiently at ease and unworried by others' opinions not to hide what I spend a lot of my time doing, but I regularly get made fun of about it by friends and work colleagues and if I were younger, or more sensitive to others' laughter, I'm sure I'd keep quiet about it too.

That's the great thing about somewhere like this forum, full of people who understnad and appreciate your efforts. I look forward to dropping in here most days, even if it's just for a few minutes of reading, to feel a sense of contact with a like-minded community.

:read:

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I worked on the railway in the 1960's, I was Beeching in our village pub and to lots of my "friends". Did'nt shout about model railway interests. Times have changed, my stepdaughter is a track Engineer for Network Rail, both sons of a longtime pal work on the railway. No mickey taking of those three young people. They only have to wave a pay slip!

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

I worked on the railway in the 1960's, I was Beeching in our village pub and to lots of my "friends". Did'nt shout about model railway interests. Times have changed, my stepdaughter is a track Engineer for Network Rail, both sons of a longtime pal work on the railway. No mickey taking of those three young people. They only have to wave a pay slip!

It's good that attitudes have changed (or, are changing), though 'prejudice' against anyone with an interest in railways still exists, though not as much as in the past (one hopes).

I recall a most-amusing incident in a pub quite a few years ago now. As usual, after an evening making/talking trains at WMRC, we adjourned to our local hostelry. Conversation continued over our pints, and I became aware of group of adjacent young men who had clearly overheard what we were discussing. They began making 'chuff-chuff' and whistle noises, pumping their arms like pistons. We saw this, and I turned to my nearest mate (sadly now deceased) and said 'Watch this'. I leaned towards them and told them they needed 'educating'. Such was their ignorance of railway matters that the 'chuff-chuffing' noises they were making were completely out of sync' with their arm movements. 'Are you two, three or four cylinder locos?', I asked. 'What's your problem?' asked one of them. Whereupon, my mate Pete (not a diminutive person) stood up. 'You're the ones with the problem' said he. The youngsters just bowed their heads and left. 

On another occasion, at the Heritage Centre Hotel in the Rhondda, we were enjoying our usual post-show meal and drink, when a member of a party adjacent to us leaned over and asked if we were railway enthusiasts. They were members of the adjudicating panel for the Lottery, which had not-long started, and South Wales was one of the early venues for the draw. They weren't eavesdropping, but were just close. I said we were, and enquired why they asked. 'You're 'normal'' was the reply! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

... I'm not sure he thought too much of my response, which was along the lines of 'By asking your question, you'll never understand why'. He just looked puzzled. ...

I always look people in the eye when the subject of my hobby comes up.  Many find it impossible to hide that faint ‘knowing smirk’ that is always a give-away, that they will never understand.

Those who do get it, usually have a hobby of their own that would be considered a bit niche.  We are not alone!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I visit Thailand (pre Covid) regularly and stay with Wife's family in Bangkok. A few years ago I noticed a neighbour had some Thai railway "artefacts" around his house. Wife's sister took me round to the house (one of her friends) and her husband showed me his small European styled layout - He was over the moon when I presented him with a current copy of The Railway Modeller and Railway Magazines which I had bought at Manchester Airport to read on the plane(s).

A restaurant in Bangkok also had European HO running round the walls behind glass - seats near "The Layout" were always the first taken, usually by Thais.

There's a bit of "Model Railway" in most folks it seems.

Brit15

• Like 12

11 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Reminds me of someone that I once worked with, who used to work on the Railway at Kyle of Lochalsh station. He was known there as Beeching, but he was stupid. When he left the railway, a month later the line was repreaved! We all put it down to his leaving!

Lloyd

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

The engineering stores at work carried a good selection of number drills, needle files and BA nuts and bolts.

None of which had any possible official use.

One day there was a man on duty who I had not had dealings with before and on asking for a certain size drill was greeted with :- "Not another modeller". He hen enquired as to my specific interests. He was more of an aircraft man.

Bernard 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9