Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hello Mr Wright,

Just one minor criticism, if I may?  Why are the wing and check rails through the pointwork so highly polished? They are the parts on which wheels never come in contact. (It's not just on LB but on many, many other layouts, too ;) ).

Nice layout and stock though.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: I have no modelling to show I'm afraid - waiting for 'the' layout to start - then I'll put photos up for criticism.

1 hour ago, Craigw said:

Hi Tony,

I was thinking more along the lines of fixing the tyre on the Taxi should it be used on future videos!

If you cast your mind back to your time in Oz, I was the person who recognised you in the ground and came over to say hello. I brought a collection of fans with me including tall, red Zane.

Regards,

Craig

I'm trying to fix in my mind which one of the group you were, Craig,

Older age and what have you.

It was great to meet you all. 

I certainly won't use that taxi in any future presentations, though I might fix the tyre. 

Regards,

Tony. 

57 minutes ago, Philou said:

Hello Mr Wright,

Just one minor criticism, if I may?  Why are the wing and check rails through the pointwork so highly polished? They are the parts on which wheels never come in contact. (It's not just on LB but on many, many other layouts, too ;) ).

Nice layout and stock though.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: I have no modelling to show I'm afraid - waiting for 'the' layout to start - then I'll put photos up for criticism.

There's no need to call me Mr. Wright, Philip,

You're quite right of course. The problem is, on the rare occasions when LB's track needs cleaning, I use a OO Gauge Association track rubber (the best). This is very mildly 'abrasive', and whips off any paint I might have put on wing rails and check rails. I have repainted them from time to time, but it's never-ending.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hello Tony,

My criticism was a little 'tongue-in-cheek' as it is a perennial problem when it comes to keeping the trackwork clean. Despite not having a layout at the moment, I do have a small module that I use for testing purposes (un-modified RTR - sorry), however, when it comes to track cleaning I use a standard track rubber for plain track and a very cheap pencil that has the rubber at the end, for working in the area of the frog. The rubber was hopeless in its intended purpose, by the way, as it was too hard.

When I worked in a drawing office, we had supplies of green 'plug' rubbers that were used in electric erasers (I have long forgotten the name of the manufacturer) and I had a small quantity of the leftover butts as they were too short to be used. They were just right for this sort of detailed cleansing but I have none left, unfortunately.

Kind regards,

Philip

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andrew,

I think that's all of the little breeders.

I'll fish them out of the trains and pass them on. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Afternoon Tony,

it's rather ironic that the LMS produced a twelve ton van with higher sides than any of the other big four companies or BR, yet the stunted version is still on sale as a top of the range product. It's also not an straight forwards task to produce an LMS fitted van from the ranges available these days .

The photo below demonstrates the distinctive profile of the LMS van as compared to that of the LNER. As you can see it is higher than the LNER type at the sides but with a flatter roof that is slightly lower than the LNER van. Both companies vans were noticeably higher at the sides than the standard BR twelve ton van taken from GWR practice.

The real LMS van is the exact opposite of that seen in the video being tall rather than stunted They proliferated in some numbers and BR retrofitted many with vacuum brakes so that they became an essential part of the railway scene. If you are culling your stunted vans, dose this mean LB will become an LMS fitted van free zone?

LMS and LNER van profile.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

53 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Afternoon Tony,

it's rather ironic that the LMS produced a twelve ton van with higher sides than any of the other big four companies or BR, yet the stunted version is still on sale as a top of the range product. It's also not an straight forwards task to produce an LMS fitted van from the ranges available these days .

The photo below demonstrates the distinctive profile of the LMS van as compared to that of the LNER. As you can see it is higher than the LNER type at the sides but with a flatter roof that is slightly lower than the LNER van. Both companies vans were noticeably higher at the sides than the standard BR twelve ton van taken from GWR practice.

The real LMS van is the exact opposite of that seen in the video being tall rather than stunted They proliferated in some numbers and BR retrofitted many with vacuum brakes so that they became an essential part of the railway scene. If you are culling your stunted vans, dose this mean LB will become an LMS fitted van free zone?

Hi Andrew, 

A quick question if I may. I have a couple of old Airfix RTR fitted LMS vans in line for conversion and a new under frame. The seem to look OK  but do you know off hand how they match up against the prototype. Worth a new under frame? 

Cheers Clem.

1 hour ago, Clem said:

Hi Andrew, 

A quick question if I may. I have a couple of old Airfix RTR fitted LMS vans in line for conversion and a new under frame. The seem to look OK  but do you know off hand how they match up against the prototype. Worth a new under frame? 

Cheers Clem.

Afternoon Clem,

The Airfix/Dapol body is probably the easiest option when placed on a new chassis. It is a little undersized but only a fraction, enough to get away with. I think that the vertical strapping on this van is only correct for BR built examples as this part was different on the LMS vans. The Ratio van is a better model and has the LMS vertical strapping but lacks the BR period diagonal strapping. This can be added but not all vans got vertical strapping. The leading LMS van in the photo has horizontal planking, no outside framing and LMS clasp brake gear, possibly diag 1812. One of the Cambrian models LMS vans would make a good starting point for the vertical planked types, with the strapping cut away and a new chassis. One thing to watch out for, is the arrangement of the corrugated ends.

Edited to add.

The second LMS van has horizontal planking, vertical and diaganol strapping and RCH brake gear.

Edited by Headstock
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

I think that the vertical strapping on this van is only correct for BR built examples as this part was different on the LMS vans.

Cheers Andrew, many thanks for your help. I think my Airfix ones will remain as early BR from the LMS design but with a new chassis. Interestingly I have a Ratio van which I have built (many moons ago) as unfitted on its original chassis but although the sides are slightly greater than the Airfix one, it sits lower and is actually slightly lower overall. it doesn't appear to be a build error on the Ratio. I see what you mean about the vertical strapping on the Ratio van and the added the diagonal strapping on the Airfx BR example.I have to admit my knowledge of LMS vans is not great and I just need to build a few to do the research and allow it to sink in. Ex-LNER fitted vans are pretty easy to spot with their distinctive 3V type break gear but unless it has clasp brakes or you can see the vacuum pipe, LMS is not as easy particularly as their unfitted stock was painted bauxite before nationalisation and in many cases seemed to remain such well into the 50s.

Edited by Clem
taking out photo added by mistake

3 hours ago, Headstock said:

Afternoon Tony,

An LMS-van free LB?

Not at all. There are several LMS vans built from kits in the goods trains. Not my work, but they're there. 

Thanks Andrew.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Clem said:

Cheers Andrew, many thanks for your help. I think my Airfix ones will remain as early BR from the LMS design but with a new chassis. Interestingly I have a Ratio van which I have built (many moons ago) as unfitted on its original chassis but although the sides are slightly greater than the Airfix one, it sits lower and is actually slightly lower overall. it doesn't appear to be a build error on the Ratio. I see what you mean about the vertical strapping on the Ratio van and the added the diagonal strapping on the Airfx BR example.I have to admit my knowledge of LMS vans is not great and I just need to build a few to do the research and allow it to sink in. Ex-LNER fitted vans are pretty easy to spot with their distinctive 3V type break gear but unless it has clasp brakes or you can see the vacuum pipe, LMS is not as easy particularly as their unfitted stock was painted bauxite before nationalisation and in many cases seemed to remain such well into the 50s.

Clem,

It's the height of the sides, the ride height on a model of anything can be all over the place unless you are very specific to prototype during the build. RTR stuff can be 1 or even as much as 3 mm higher than it should be. Little buffer height gauges are very helpful and I have made my own roof height gauge for carriage building. The latter I have recently found very helpful in preventing articulated stock sticking up or drooping in the middle. Even so, I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time looking lengthways down rakes carriages checking for tower bridge disease.

The LMS got in a bit of a mess with their van liveries, at one time you could have grey and bauxite fitted and unfitted stock all in he mix. LMS fitted vans become easy to spot once you get the hang of them, just look for the high sides and that flat roof, if fitted then the brake handle is behind the leading axle box rather than in front of it as with the LNER and RCH. For those that later got vac brake cylinders added to the RCH arrangement, look for the tie bars down at track level.

Edited by Headstock
add full stop.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2019 at 14:46, Headstock said:

I've commenced construction on what will be my final train build, what an appropriate way to bow out with one of my favorite carriages, the dia 40 a Gresley 3 compartment BTK.

It will be the leading brake in a five set (BTK 3, CK 3 1/2-4, 2 X TK(8), BTK 6 ) that will compliment the three set built last year. Along with the twin awaiting painting, it will round off the ordinary passenger train formations working between Leicester, Rugby, Woodford and Marylebone. The only thing currently missing is a ex GC BT from the non gangway 3 sets but you can't win them all.

The model is basically Comet sides grafted on to MJT components, though I have used MJT drop lights in preference to the Comet ones, due to the opening in the latter being too small. The vac pipe is still to be added to the solebar and the vent hoods need to be added above the doors, hopefully without melting the cornice. It can then be cleaned up ready for undercoating. Hopefully I will get a couple of carriages finished before mixing up a new batch of teak.

Can I ask ... on a etched brass or even plastic kit, how do you replicate the teak panelling?  You say "mixing up a new batch of teak" is this is paint that resembles?  Im considering a couple of topics for the forthcoming, so any insight, details or pointers would be gratefully appreciated. In terms of my skill level however, please do treat me like a common idiot!! I was going to say normal idiot, but every time I watch the House of Commons on the news I come more to the conclusion that there is no normal idiots around!   Seriously tho, any help or insight really would be appreciated.

Tony - sorry to hijack the thread- loved the video on Little Bytham, superb filming and modelling.  Can I ask what camera you filmed it on?  Really enjoyed the natural perspective of the camera being placed low down, as it would be in real life.

Rich

22 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Can I ask ... on a etched brass or even plastic kit, how do you replicate the teak panelling?  You say "mixing up a new batch of teak" is this is paint that resembles?  Im considering a couple of topics for the forthcoming, so any insight, details or pointers would be gratefully appreciated. In terms of my skill level however, please do treat me like a common idiot!! I was going to say normal idiot, but every time I watch the House of Commons on the news I come more to the conclusion that there is no normal idiots around!   Seriously tho, any help or insight really would be appreciated.

Tony - sorry to hijack the thread- loved the video on Little Bytham, superb filming and modelling.  Can I ask what camera you filmed it on?  Really enjoyed the natural perspective of the camera being placed low down, as it would be in real life.

Rich

Rich,

Please hijack away. Andrew's modelling is of the greatest interest.

The camera I used to film LB is a Panasonic HC-V180. It's really a budget, entry-level camcorder. I just fiddled with it until I got the smallest aperture (for depth of field), though don't ask me how. I also cut off the hand strap - it gets in the way. 

Many thanks for your kind comments. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Rich

Good evening Rich,

well, I got well into a reply when the fantastic new software logged me out of the forum and deleted everything I had written. I'm well bummed out as you can imagine. There doesn't seem to be a recovery option as there was with the old forum.  I'm afraid you will have to Wait until I am back in the mood to retype in a separate document and paste it online. I got a nice big parcel from MJT today, I shall make a cup of coffee, open that, sniff the brass and relax my furrowed brow.

Edited by Headstock
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of populating coaches and teak painting, this might be of interest?  Something I did as an experiment a couple of years ago.  Bog standard cheap-as-chips Hornby Railroad plastic teak coaches, with the roof grubbed up a bit, the sole bars painted and a lick of tinted varnish to liven up the teak a bit.  I mixed the solebar colour with satin varnish in a ratio of about 1:5, and just painted all the 'woodwork' with it.  The colouring is thin enough to allow the yellow lining to show through.  Slight variations in the mix ratio have a nice effect of adding subtle variations to the teak colour between coaches.  Renumbering with HMRS prefix transfers completes the effect - a big improvement over the basic coach.  I just need to weather the under frames now...

The passengers are added to each coach, 1-3 in each corridor.  I find it is enough to give the impression of populated coaches as the train runs by.

IMG_2802.jpg.51a6f07607f548ce0fc9bfc6448531ef.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg.2edd2bf066e48d06edb7e0d679cfd0b3.jpg

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

More than 'all right' Tony; I think it's superb. Donation in progress.

Dave

I agree.

I watched it from start to finish  in one sitting and thought to myself 'you know what this beats going to an exhibition as I'm being entertained and educated.' The trains are even more interesting when put into context of their creation and the historical formations they represent.

Edited by Anglian
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Rich,

well, I got well into a reply when the fantastic new software logged me out of the forum and deleted everything I had written. I'm well bummed out as you can imagine. There doesn't seem to be a recovery option as there was with the old forum.  I'm afraid you will have to Wait until I am back in the mood to retype in a separate document and paste it online. I got a nice big parcel from MJT today, I shall make a cup of coffee, open that, sniff the brass and relax my furrowed brow.

Hi Andrew.

No problem - hope you calm down!!  Odd that it forgot everything, as mine autosaves every time I stop typing on the new website, where as on the old one, I lost a few posts because it didnt!  Probably not what you wanted to hear!  Anyway, I appreciate your time and patience in reply, so more than happy to wait!

Rich

16 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Andrew.

No problem - hope you calm down!!  Odd that it forgot everything, as mine autosaves every time I stop typing on the new website, where as on the old one, I lost a few posts because it didnt!  Probably not what you wanted to hear!  Anyway, I appreciate your time and patience in reply, so more than happy to wait!

Rich

Evening Rich,

it's possible that it did autosave, however I can't find the autosave. On the old forum it was down on the left side of the window, now I don't have anything.

On 06/02/2019 at 19:50, Tony Wright said:

With my most grateful thanks to Andy York, I'm now inserting (I hope) the second 1958 LB DVD. If you want to know more, may I suggest you buy the current issue of BRM, please? 

May I ask, please, if anyone 'likes' it, they make a donation on their own behalf to Cancer Research UK?

Many thanks in anticipation.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mJEmrBFjU

Thanks very much for posting this. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Anglian said:

I agree.

I watched it from start to finish  in one sitting and thought to myself 'you know what this beats going to an exhibition as I'm being entertained and educated.' The trains are even more interesting when put into context of their creation and the historical formations they represent.

Thanks Tim,

My apologies for not mentioning you in the credits. Some of the beautiful little figures seen in the DVD are your work. 

I think what pleases me the most about the whole moving footage on LB is that, despite (or because of?) there being so many marvellous contributors to the project, the whole scene looks completely homogeneous.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I've only watched the first 10 minutes so far and am struggling with adequate words to describe what I'm seeing.  Having the camera at a "realistic" height makes so much difference.  It could cruelly show up errors but (apart from the taxi tyres!) I can't spot any.

It's also a great advert for not bothering with DCC sound.  Much of the noise of a passing train isn't a hard-working locomotive, it's multiple wheels on rail, which the video captures very well.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tim,

My apologies for not mentioning you in the credits. Some of the beautiful little figures seen in the DVD are your work. 

I think what pleases me the most about the whole moving footage on LB is that, despite (or because of?) there being so many marvellous contributors to the project, the whole scene looks completely homogeneous.

Regards,

Tony. 

Not a problem at all. My input has been immeasurably small!