Having problems logging in to RMweb? Read more... ×

Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Tony Wright

Wright writes.....

Evening Wrighterlites,

some progress on the corridor third. Not much facilities for the passengers as yet but it makes a nice steel carrier. I knocked up one of the lovely LNER quints and will donate it to the new steel train that Andrew Hill is constructing for LSGC. Speaking of passengers, perhaps it is time to modelu me, so that I can lurk in the yet to construct corridor, complete with Fedora and trench coat.

TK 8 Quint D.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Further to my previous above.......................

900949724_DJHA1.jpg.6fc1e492a7cd479f18e4eb40a0575cc9.jpg

This is a DJH A1 from the wrecked collection. It had no motor and the painting is certainly grotty. However, my assessment of its value (before being damaged) was around the cost of the wheels (yes, I know the bogie wheels are ghastly). The motion was not DJH, but for any 'determined resurrectionist ' (Geoff West, please stand up!), a decent A1 would be the result - the kit parts being given, effectively, free!  

Speaking of decent DJH A1s.................

A1.jpg.ed2776e5da231915ef7c990a02d82d70.jpg

This is from the same collection of a deceased modeller as the wee Ivatt seen yesterday. 

Most of it had been built, and I've just finished it off (why he painted the deflectors and cab roof beforehand, I have no idea). It ran, but the gearbox and motion were very stiff, and the motor had suffered accordingly. I've replaced the motor, sorted out the chassis stiffness, and the end result is a very nice, and very powerful A1. Needless to say, it's travelling no further than LB, and will eventually become 60119 PATRICK STIRLING. 

76XXX.jpg.9b0591ad3f3de9a59f5205c20eb32919.jpg

Another from the same collection was this Kitmaster/Airfix/Branchlines 76XXX. As with the A1, the running was really poor, with tight spots all round. I've dismantled most of the running gear, adjusted it, reassembled it and the end result is a really sweet runner (which I'll complete). Yes, there's a Bachmann equivalent, but that's not been 'made'. 

The more I see of locos/chassis built from kits, the more I'm convinced that most of them are 'almost there' with regard to running. I've heard far too many excuses along the lines of 'It'll run-in, and the tight spot will go' to know that's just self-delusion. Do some just tolerate stiff/poor running without investigating why, and curing it? 

I think my future career path in loco-doctoring means I'm never going to be redundant! 

Yes Tony that A1 looks like a job for me.

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Evening Wrighterlites,

some progress on the corridor third. Not much facilities for the passengers as yet but it makes a nice steel carrier. I knocked up one of the lovely LNER quints and will donate it to the new steel train that Andrew Hill is constructing for LSGC. Speaking of passengers, perhaps it is time to modelu me, so that I can lurk in the yet to construct corridor, complete with Fedora and trench coat.

TK 8 Quint D.jpg

Lovely work Andrew but isn't that Quint an unbalanced (and unsecured!) load in that position? ;)

Looking forward to seeing the corridor third progress.

18 minutes ago, Atso said:

Lovely work Andrew but isn't that Quint an unbalanced (and unsecured!) load in that position? ;)

Looking forward to seeing the corridor third progress.

I should hope so, otherwise I shall have to build the carriage body around it.

• Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Headstock said:

I should hope so, otherwise I shall have to build the carriage body around it.

It would make for a most interesting interior though!

32 minutes ago, Atso said:

It would make for a most interesting interior though!

And an intersting telegraph code, TKLVBB?

• Like 1