Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Goodness that's come on well since last Friday!!  Looking very good as one would expect.

As to the "clickety-clack" I do know where your coming from Tony particularly with long trains. I did do it (Cut grooves every scale 60ft) on my last layout and it worked reasonably well, but then my longest train was 4 coaches or the equivalent in wagons.

Of course I've helped him, but about half of what you see above is his work. I made sure the chassis was true and that the motor/gearbox ran sweetly, but he put the wheels on, fitted the pick-ups (with me watching) put one rod on, erected the brake gear, assisted me with the bogie and pony and soldered on one of the main sides. It looks very nice work, and it is, and it works so sweetly (even after I'd carelessly knocked the chassis onto the floor- but it landed on carpet). So sweetly, that three adult observers yesterday wished they'd made it themselves. He'll need my help less and less. Don't you think stuff like this lad is doing has equal merit to model railway empires built just with the power of cash? Like a fair bit of mine, though over a long time in fairness. Without newcomers like Jack (drop the daft user name, my lad!), then the actual personal making of model railways might have a long-term future, if only there are more of him. He's really trying (not trying me!), and won't give up. Good on you!

-------------------------------------

Great progress so far Jack,,, and a lovely prototype to have chosen,,, a 4-4-2 has a natural balance & with some expert guidance on hand I'm pretty sure your on to a winner.

We are all aware of the lack of new blood coming in to the hobby and unless we do something about it Messr's Hornby and Bachmann are going to start making something else because they are interested in one thing,,,, volume.

We all have a responsibility to promote the hobby to the next generation,,,, if we don't we really can't complain.

There really is more to life than kicking a pigs bladder or pushing buttons on an inanimate piece of black plastic!!!

Wonderful shots of this weeks progress Tony,,, I particularly like the illusion of depth looking towards the M&GN flyover.

Regards

SAD :sadclear:  

• RMweb Premium

Goodness that's come on well since last Friday!!  Looking very good as one would expect.

As to the "clickety-clack" I do know where your coming from Tony particularly with long trains. I did do it (Cut grooves every scale 60ft) on my last layout and it worked reasonably well, but then my longest train was 4 coaches or the equivalent in wagons.

If you have too many grooves you lose the effect as you can hear them all at the same time and they merge almost into white noise. Just have one or two (exaggerated) grooves near to a natural point of observation, for example a control panel where you sit or stand, or where trains pass through the backscene. You will then hear one pronounced series of clickety-clacks as the train passes over the groove, much as you would when a real train passes a stationary observer.

... .

We are all aware of the lack of new blood coming in to the hobby and unless we do something about it Messr's Hornby and Bachmann are going to start making something else because they are interested in one thing,,,, volume.

We all have a responsibility to promote the hobby to the next generation,,,, if we don't we really can't complain.

Could it be that today's Diesels & electrics while being efficient lack a certain 'Beingness' or 'Life' that steam-locos. posses? 

I well-remember, when much younger, often going to  watch the loco. being coupled-up to the leading carriage;  more often than not I was not the only one there.  Now, with prime movers at both ends, such scenes are no more. One cannot bring-back such days, save in our memories and models,  of times gone-by..

(Puts away the rose-tinted glasses.),  :senile:

One thing that I have noted from photos. of exhibitions is the number of grey heads and/or bald pates to be seen - very few of the younger generation in evidence.

I wonder how many of us offer to take our younger grand-children, cousins, nephews and other much younger relatives to exhibitions?

Maybe another reason is that all too many of today's schools do not encourage handicrafts & making things with one's hands;  how many schools today offer carpentry and/or metal-working classes?

To encourage the younger generation away from their computers and back to actually being productive manually annual competitions, exhibitions, magazines, manufacturers, traders and suchlike might consider sponsoring 'Under 18s.', or similar,  competitions?

Edited by unclebobkt
  • Like 4

Very nice to see Little Bytham springing to life outside of the railway fences too. Has the historically correct late 50s brewery for the Willoughby Arms been ascertained, and was / is their ale any good? Probably a moot point since even the largest casks, let alone the pint glasses, will be too small in 1/76th scale for any layout operators to have a decent "session".

I think you will find sawing through the rails gives a far more audible clickety-click than filing grooves, something i discovered by trial and error when I built a layout around the back bedroom soon after we got wed in 1961. I recall just two sets in the whole bedroom, as none were needed near the station due to the racket over the points. In fact I think I soldered the rail ends to nails as they transmitted the sound into the Insulation board better.

Edited by coachmann

Amongst all this, ANZAC went racing by on the main line on its way to Holyhead. What memories............   

That Sir, I would like to have seen.

Alas she was withdrawn 2 months before I was born and scrapped soon after. :O

That would have been another good one for the Australian Railway Museum to have tried to save. Pity !!!

Sorry to drag the thread back 4 months Tony but I'm wading through it and just got there.

P.S. I'm Thoroughly enjoying this thread, some very clever chaps here !

Edited by The Blue Streak

Has the historically correct late 50s brewery for the Willoughby Arms been ascertained, and was / is their ale any good?

In the 70's, the days of that horrible Watney Red beer everywhere, The Willoughby was the only decent pub for miles around with the loverly Ruddles County on draft.

In the 70's, the days of that horrible Watney Red beer everywhere, The Willoughby was the only decent pub for miles around with the loverly Ruddles County on draft.

Draught, surely - US ownership of breweries was no so widespread in those days !   :-)

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think you will find sawing through the rails gives a far more audible clickety-click than filing grooves, something i discovered by trial and error when I built a layout around the back bedroom soon after we got wed in 1961. I recall just two sets in the whole bedroom, as none were needed near the station due to the racket over the points. In fact I think I soldered the rail ends to nails as they transmitted the sound into the Insulation board better.

I remember long ago Mr Norris describing his fantastic railway.  He too said that filing notches didn't work and he sawed through the rails and then soldered them back together IIRC.

... .

Could it be that today's Diesels & electrics while being efficient lack a certain 'Beingness' or 'Life' that steam-locos. posses? 

I well-remember, when much younger, often going to  watch the loco. being coupled-up to the leading carriage;  more often than not I was not the only one there.  Now, with prime movers at both ends, such scenes are no more. One cannot bring-back such days, save in our memories and models,  of times gone-by..

(Puts away the rose-tinted glasses.),  :senile:

One thing that I have noted from photos. of exhibitions is the number of grey heads and/or bald pates to be seen - very few of the younger generation in evidence.

I wonder how many of us offer to take our younger grand-children, cousins, nephews and other much younger relatives to exhibitions?

Maybe another reason is that all too many of today's schools do not encourage handicrafts & making things with one's hands;  how many schools today offer carpentry and/or metal-working classes?

To encourage the younger generation away from their computers and back to actually being productive manually annual competitions, exhibitions, magazines, manufacturers, traders and suchlike might consider sponsoring 'Under 18s.', or similar,  competitions?

Very true about the number of grey heads/bald pates these days at exhibitions. I mentioned this during my talks at Peterborough last weekend. Indeed, on the Sunday I asked my audience how many were under 40. 3% I think Andy calculated. On a personal level, when I joined Wolverhampton MRC in 1973, aged 27, I was a bit below the average age of the club. It had just started and the core 'doers' were in their 30s and 40s. Several guys around my age joined around the same time, bringing the average age down to about 30. Now, at 68, I'm just a bit older than the average age for the club. Most members are in their 50s and 60s. Carry that forward another few years and see the potential problems. Is WMRC typical? I'm also a member of Market Deeping Club as well and many members are older than I am. At the delightful Scarborough MRS show at Pickering in August, most 'younger' men had families, suggesting they were out for the day on the NYMR, and just popped in. Many told me that was the case. They were interested in railways but weren't active railway modellers in the main. 

As for the reasons for a 'decline' in the (what were once) large numbers of younger men (and women?) in the hobby, I believe it's mainly because they're not old enough to have been trainspotters in those wonderful Ian Allan days when steam reigned supreme on BR. Days when every boy in my class (I kid you not) in the '50s could be seen at Chester General on a Saturday or during the holidays. Days when those returning from 'foreign' holidays, brought back tales of exotic 'cops' from distant lands - Scotland, South Wales, the West Country, East Anglia and even London. Many of that boomer generation now build models of what they saw - like I do. Even if only 10% of post-war trainspotters carried on into railway modelling, that's still thousands. Indeed, in conversation with the major manufacturers in more recent years, many of their models are now sold to guys returning to the hobby, in retirement! Kids gone, mortgage paid, spare time (we wish!) and space. 

Slightly strangely, having cited the above, during my numerous railway photographic jaunts in the 1970s, '80s and early '90s, I saw several trainspotters. Many were youngsters, like I'd been, but now they noted the blue diesel/electric numbers (on a Dictaphone in some cases!). Several can be seen in my new book from Irwell Press, Into The Blue - £9.99 from Irwell or WH Smiths, featuring as 'extras' in my pictures. It's a giggle, if only for the hair styles and fashions! Are there large numbers of those now-mature men modelling the blue/grey period of BR? I doubt it. What I found most interesting looking back to my pictures was that, although the motive power was non-steam and adorned in a standard uniformity of colour, it was running in many cases on a Victorian railway, complete with complex track formations, mechanical 'boxes and wonderful semaphore signals. Take the corporate blue away and you could have been in the '50s and '60s. Why don't legions of modellers model that most interesting time? The young guys I'm helping don't model what they remember - it's stuff from their grandad's day or earlier in some cases. 

What's there to model today anyway? A railway rationalised in many cases down to the minimum. Almost all passenger trains running in uniform formations as units, many painted in a ghastly, polychromatic mess! Heavy freights pulled by standard locos whose only difference is in their liveries, mostly awful, or worse. I hope those modellers of today's scene will present a fiercely-argued counter view.   

Thanks Alan,

Speaking of the visual effect, the following two pictures show LNERBoy4468's progress with his SE Finecast C12. Actually, his name's Jack, and he's only 15, but what a good job he's made so far of this.

attachicon.gifDSC_9490.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_9493.JPG

Wow that's some amazing work, nice one Jack, wish I could do stuff like that lol, btw the free DVD that came with the BRM was very good especially the exptional loads feature.

Enough for the moment of doom and gloom for the hobby's future.

Though it's not my intention to have a backscene to the west on Little Bytham, the entrances/exits from the fiddle yards needed some kind of screen behind the respective bridges, as did the background to the M&GN bit. Prior to today, those screens were just painted a powder blue (too dark, really). So, this afternoon, out with the palette (shades of art school days), the trusty Winsor & Newton's sables and a few squirts of limited colours of acrylics. Yesterday, I just daubed on some impressionistic clouds with a 2" brush, using cheap emulsion, and the results thus far are shown below.

post-18225-0-13110500-1414185934_thumb.jpg

Even today, little has changed in the landscape, other than the MR/M&GNR embankment being totally overgrown. So, just a distant vista needed to be suggested.

post-18225-0-55577000-1414185947_thumb.jpg

More distant trees and fields had white added to their greens to suggest atmospheric perspective.

post-18225-0-00896400-1414185966_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-47817400-1414185981_thumb.jpg

In tighter perspective, the effect isn't very good, but spectators are asked to look from a front-on angle. The nearest group of painted trees represents the Spinney - still there today, but a bit bigger.

post-18225-0-43176900-1414185997_thumb.jpg

With less in the way of tight perspective, I'm more pleased with the effect and I hope a sense of distance is apparent, even though the backscene is only two or three inches away from the MR/M&GNR tracks. 

post-18225-0-96123800-1414186012_thumb.jpg

With an inevitable angle in the backscene to accommodate the tight curve going offstage, the effect is hardly realistic, but I couldn't resist painting the spire of St Medhard's Church. 

post-18225-0-83188500-1414186023_thumb.jpg

At the south end, the screen doesn't extend the full width of the shed, so is more compromised. There's still a bit to do on this.

How many other practical hobbies require an active participant to have a working 'ability' in woodwork, metalwork, miniature mechanics, electrics, the use of plastics, architectural modelling, the creation of realistic scenery, painting (both of models and backscenes) and an understanding of how railways actually worked? That's why, when one guy (or girl) does all those things for himself/herself, then he/she has my complete respect for really having a go. He/she is a true, all-round modeller; a 'real' modeller. Me, I mainly do what I like to do, resorting to horse-trading in the main to get the other things I need.

It's a brilliant hobby, and it would be a sad situation if it were to decline, either through diminishing interest, the loss of core skills or resort to only needing the ability to open boxes!

Edited by Mod4
Duplicate text removed
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifDSC_9544.JPG

With an inevitable angle in the backscene to accommodate the tight curve going offstage, the effect is hardly realistic, but I couldn't resist painting the spire of St Medhard's Church. 

Very nice Tony. I see you are following the politicians' style - if something is worth saying, say it twice :-). You could fill the vertical crack next to the church with a bit of Tetrion or similar to take the harshness out of it.

I'm a child of the 70's, and the last of an era- dad fired steam right up until we left the UK in 79, so I heard more stories than most.  I don't model what was familiar to me, GO, VIA, CN, CP, ACR...but rather the UK.  I changed about when I was 14, going from having a (large) toy train set to starting to build a model.  I've been exposed to models right since birth- dad had a pair of 3/4" scale traction engines, the 1 1/2" steam roller and a 5" gauge railway when we were in the UK.   I'm not sure why I like tin mice as much as I do, as I have most of the tools required to build live steam engines & have the skills for it.   But, I find fun from the attempt at making a signalman's view of Long Marton.  It's a challenge, in its own way.  As you say above Tony, there are all kinds of skills required in order to be a successful modeler.  I have taken a different approach to yours, in that I have shaken a fair amount of $$$ out on RTR stock, knowing that I can build kits, but that the eventual goal is not how well I build any particular coach, wagon or engine, but the total effect of the layout.  I also enjoy the programming aspects of using DCC & Railroad (&) Co software to simulate the operational aspects that I don't want to do.  If I want to drive a loco, I can haul out one of the live steam engines and go driving...all the experience of full size, just 1/16th as big.  I don't think Long Marton will ever be as good as Little Bytham is, but that is not going to stop me.  Well done to your apprentice, and it does behoove all of us to bring in new blood to the hobby.  I actually like it NOT being the youngest club member !

James Powell

• Like 3

Very nice Tony. I see you are following the politicians' style - if something is worth saying, say it twice :-). You could fill the vertical crack next to the church with a bit of Tetrion or similar to take the harshness out of it.

Many thanks, John.

post-18225-0-62997900-1414225499_thumb.jpg

Photoshop dries quicker than filler, but you still have the different light levels on the two surfaces.

post-18225-0-99207200-1414225515_thumb.jpg

Cloning gets rid of those differences. But this is an entirely artificial illusion. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Of course I've helped him, but about half of what you see above is his work. I made sure the chassis was true and that the motor/gearbox ran sweetly, but he put the wheels on, fitted the pick-ups (with me watching) put one rod on, erected the brake gear, assisted me with the bogie and pony and soldered on one of the main sides. It looks very nice work, and it is, and it works so sweetly (even after I'd carelessly knocked the chassis onto the floor- but it landed on carpet). So sweetly, that three adult observers yesterday wished they'd made it themselves. He'll need my help less and less. Don't you think stuff like this lad is doing has equal merit to model railway empires built just with the power of cash? Like a fair bit of mine, though over a long time in fairness. Without newcomers like Jack (drop the daft user name, my lad!), then the actual personal making of model railways might have a long-term future, if only there are more of him. He's really trying (not trying me!), and won't give up. Good on you!

-------------------------------------

Great progress so far Jack,,, and a lovely prototype to have chosen,,, a 4-4-2 has a natural balance & with some expert guidance on hand I'm pretty sure your on to a winner.

There really is more to life than kicking a pigs bladder or pushing buttons on an inanimate piece of black plastic!!!

Wonderful shots of this weeks progress Tony,,, I particularly like the illusion of depth looking towards the M&GN flyover.

Regards

Hi SAD

Does it matter if our hobby does not interest the younger generation? Model railways have never been stronger. Each weekend a host of exhibitions to go to, RTR better than we have ever seen, kits in all sorts of mediums, 3D modelling and Cameo cutters making your own models easier and scratch building still continues. Soon many of the suppliers may disappear along with their customer base as we all grow older, but until we meet the grim reaper why not just enjoy what we have got and not worry about the future.

The future will sort its self out. A few weeks ago the layout behind mine at the Mid Essex Model Railway Club's exhibition was built and ran by the children/students of Moulsham School in Chelmsford, it was as good as any other on display.

• Like 3

I'm a child of the 70's, and the last of an era- dad fired steam right up until we left the UK in 79, so I heard more stories than most.  I don't model what was familiar to me, GO, VIA, CN, CP, ACR...but rather the UK.  I changed about when I was 14, going from having a (large) toy train set to starting to build a model.  I've been exposed to models right since birth- dad had a pair of 3/4" scale traction engines, the 1 1/2" steam roller and a 5" gauge railway when we were in the UK.   I'm not sure why I like tin mice as much as I do, as I have most of the tools required to build live steam engines & have the skills for it.   But, I find fun from the attempt at making a signalman's view of Long Marton.  It's a challenge, in its own way.  As you say above Tony, there are all kinds of skills required in order to be a successful modeler.  I have taken a different approach to yours, in that I have shaken a fair amount of $$$ out on RTR stock, knowing that I can build kits, but that the eventual goal is not how well I build any particular coach, wagon or engine, but the total effect of the layout.  I also enjoy the programming aspects of using DCC & Railroad (&) Co software to simulate the operational aspects that I don't want to do.  If I want to drive a loco, I can haul out one of the live steam engines and go driving...all the experience of full size, just 1/16th as big.  I don't think Long Marton will ever be as good as Little Bytham is, but that is not going to stop me.  Well done to your apprentice, and it does behoove all of us to bring in new blood to the hobby.  I actually like it NOT being the youngest club member !

James Powell

Thanks James,

You seem just the kind of guy I was referring to in my earlier post - a bloke prepared to do things for himself, a 'true' all-round railway modeller in my book. 

Does it matter if 'Long Marton will ever be as good as Little Bytham' (your words)? In many ways it'll be 'better', because it'll be more personal - your work, rather than the work of professionals. My project has professionally-built trackwork, professionally-painted locos, professionally-built locos and stock (that's what I used to do), plus the input of many other top-drawer modellers who could make things professionally if they didn't have 'proper' jobs. Yes, the product of professionals can be inspirational, but the real value in any model, in my opinion, is what the owner has done for him/herself. 

As my list of 'apprentices' grows, I'm more and more convinced of that. The delight in the guys' faces as a loco is made to work, previously only being lots of parts in a box. Or an RTR loco is 'brought to life' by additional detailing or weathering. And, this is the main thing, they've done it for themselves. Of course, I've assisted, but they've taken their work away, fired up soldering irons and brought back the results of their own efforts. In one case, the weathering I get on my locos by Tom Foster in return for my assisting him in loco construction is fantastic. He's teaching me! Or would be if I were not so indolent.

So, carry on in your endeavours. As I've stated before, you sound like what a real railway modeller is to me - someone who actually makes models.

• Like 3

Television spells the end for cinemas....Ten Pin bowling spells the end for Television.....Slot-car racing will kill of model railways.......It's a fair bet doom-mongers have been around since the first human learned to communicate. We may be more advanced than animals but the trouble is we think too much. A 20yr old person can only think within his own 20 years experience and because he/she has witnessed a change they assume it spells doom. Those of us who have been around much longer have realised life is a cycle and you can bet your bottom dollar that nothing is really new in the human condition and that it has been around before  -  many times.

Blimey, it's only 10am.....Too early for deep thinking. Good job its not tomorrow!

• Like 4

What I found most interesting looking back to my pictures was that, although the motive power was non-steam and adorned in a standard uniformity of colour, it was running in many cases on a Victorian railway, complete with complex track formations, mechanical 'boxes and wonderful semaphore signals. Take the corporate blue away and you could have been in the '50s and '60s. Why don't legions of modellers model that most interesting time? 

Not sure I count as a youngster anymore (I'm 46) but this is exactly what I'm planning for my next layout - South Pelaw Junction on the Tyne Dock To Consett line - lots of complex track, more semaphores than you can shake a stick at (the NER seemed to love complex signalling) with blue diesels passing a mechanical box with loads of point rodding.

Whether I can pull it off myself of course is a different matter but it is going to be fun trying :)

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I agree the average age of the most model railway clubs and societies appears to be rising, my own Society the High Wycombe and District MRS has a number of younger members.

When I joined *cough' years ago at the age of 15 I was the youngest member a position I held for about 25 years!
One of the reasons I joined the HWDMRS was the fact that it did not have a separate "junior" section and that I was treated as just one of the members accordingly, a style that remains today. 

We now have a number of members under 25 and they can bee seen operating many of the club layouts and also other club members layouts at shows as well being encouraged to have a go and learn modelling techniques.

In fact at one of our demonstration evenings the session on soldering white metal kits was conducted by a 16 year old member!

• Like 4

Whilst I agree the average age of the most model railway clubs and societies appears to be rising, my own Society the High Wycombe and District MRS has a number of younger members.

When I joined *cough' years ago at the age of 15 I was the youngest member a position I held for about 25 years!

One of the reasons I joined the HWDMRS was the fact that it did not have a separate "junior" section and that I was treated as just one of the members accordingly, a style that remains today. 

We now have a number of members under 25 and they can bee seen operating many of the club layouts and also other club members layouts at shows as well being encouraged to have a go and learn modelling techniques.

In fact at one of our demonstration evenings the session on soldering white metal kits was conducted by a 16 year old member!

It's something that's been very evident to me with a degree of contact with HWDMRS; some very intelligent and gifted modellers with the likes of St. Simon now producing his own 3D range of accessories at a comparatively young age. Excellent. Similarly I was with the Ilkeston & Woodside club the other day and they have a healthy junior section and it's simply down to the ethos of the club whilst some prefer it to be a club for the needs of a group of established modellers. There may not be a large number of junior modellers but there many of the ones that are will be the ones to adopt new technologies and be part of a change in the hobby. That change will be driven by cost and economics as much as demand and there surely will be a demise of cast or etched kits and injection moulded parts with a rise in 3D printed (particularly resin) and laser-cut components. Having said that there are new etched kit producers tackling anything from complete kits through to detailing packs such as Pete Harvey

I think it's fair to say that online resources such as RMweb provide a soapbox for early adoption of technologies and equipment more than the printed media and those participating are of a generally younger age mean than those building using traditional skills. It also provides a platform for collaboration and correspondence between like-minded modellers which does as much to push boundaries as anything else I see.

Maybe the clubs of the future, if they are to survive and grow, should look toward providing new-technology equipment access more than spending funds producing another formulaic layout to populate the exhibition circuit?

• Like 2

Sandra,

I'm sorry the meaning of my last post was undecipherable.

My main message was to encourage modellers to have a go for themselves, as James appears to be doing. Just as you are doing. Perhaps it was ambiguous.

A pleasure to meet and chat to you last weekend, by the way. 

Catching up on some of the other comments; Larry, of course, is dead right. That said, trainspotting as a hobby for small boys is now moribund or dead.

I look forward to seeing the South Pelaw Junction project in BR blue days. Go for it!

The Wycombe Club is doing really well, and it's my privilege to have visited its premises on several occasions. It's also a privilege to know many of its members as friends. But, I wonder how typical it is, especially with regard to its age-profile. 

• Like 2

It's something that's been very evident to me with a degree of contact with HWDMRS; some very intelligent and gifted modellers with the likes of St. Simon now producing his own 3D range of accessories at a comparatively young age. Excellent. Similarly I was with the Ilkeston & Woodside club the other day and they have a healthy junior section and it's simply down to the ethos of the club whilst some prefer it to be a club for the needs of a group of established modellers. There may not be a large number of junior modellers but there many of the ones that are will be the ones to adopt new technologies and be part of a change in the hobby. That change will be driven by cost and economics as much as demand and there surely will be a demise of cast or etched kits and injection moulded parts with a rise in 3D printed (particularly resin) and laser-cut components. Having said that there are new etched kit producers tackling anything from complete kits through to detailing packs such as Pete Harvey

I think it's fair to say that online resources such as RMweb provide a soapbox for early adoption of technologies and equipment more than the printed media and those participating are of a generally younger age mean than those building using traditional skills. It also provides a platform for collaboration and correspondence between like-minded modellers which does as much to push boundaries as anything else I see.

Maybe the clubs of the future, if they are to survive and grow, should look toward providing new-technology equipment access more than spending funds producing another formulaic layout to populate the exhibition circuit?

I thoroughly agree, Andy.

By the way, could you remove the duplicate message I somehow posted yesterday, please?