Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

John not Mike but never mind!

Sorry John,

How did I get you muddled up with the Stationmaster? Your post was in response to one of Mike's.

Old age?

By the way, my report on the Convention is in the latest issue of BRM (though someone didn't seem to know quite what BRMA stood for - I just put the acronym). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This thread sure flies along. It was post #31666 where I showed the latest with my resin wall cast from homemade masters/moulds. Since then, which only seems a day or two ago, I've got the top walling and some colour and dirt on as it's crumbling polychromatic Victorian brickwork, and it's looking like this:

attachicon.gifDSC_7591.JPG

G.

Amazing building!

It was worth the effort Tony.

Thanks John,

I should have mentioned that three of the shots were taken from the 'far side'. That's the habitat of the non-obese. I can squeeze in quite easily, though I'm not as slim as I used to be (like most older blokes, I've now got a pod!)

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

Lower angles like these are when something quite wonderful happens and a beautiful layout sorts of kicks the viewer right between the eyes, as it jumps into 'real life'. I imagine this effect is a result of more closely reflecting what we'd expect to see in reality.

When viewing at shows I'm always trying to get eye level views for this very reason. 

• RMweb Premium

In between attending to Mo's needs (I'm opening cans of soup and heating the contents up, and I've also worked out the mysteries of the microwave!), I've taken some more pictures this afternoon. I've experimented with a few new angles. I'm not sure if they've all 'worked', but here they are..............

attachicon.gifAusterity on Up minerals.jpg

There is a real "Colin Gifford-ness" about this shot - wonderful.

Sending Mo my very best wishes.....and I hope she is feeling better soon!

Although I have to admit I'm concerned for her welfare if you are cooking!  :O :lol:

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

Re: Soups

I am surprised at a man of your abilities relying on 'RTH' (ready-to-heat) soups, when it is so easy to make one's own!

Using basic raw materials (onion, potato, tomatoes, some chopped tomatoes if in the stock cupboard, seasoning to taste ( I'm in a tarragon phase) I always make up a big pan, eat one portion, with wholemeal bread of course, and freeze the remainder in portion-sized containers. Then you can use your newly acquired microwave skills to heat when required.

Even without an Isinglass drawing I'm sure you could manage that!

Now I must make leek, potato and bacon soup today, to use up ingredients, after doing some work on a nice simple LMS cattle wagon.

Pigs ( for bacon) can be transported in one of those!

Further (simple) instructions can be supplied if required.

NB I'm sure you must know this, but please do not put a can, or anything metallic, in the microwave.

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 3

Re: Soups

I am surprised at a man of your abilities relying on 'RTH' (ready-to-heat) soups, when it is so easy to make one's own!

Using basic raw materials (onion, potato, tomatoes, some chopped tomatoes if in the stock cupboard, seasoning to taste ( I'm in a tarragon phase) I always make up a big pan, eat one portion, with wholemeal bread of course, and freeze the remainder in portion-sized containers. Then you can use your newly acquired microwave skills to heat when required.

Even without an Isinglass drawing I'm sure you could manage that!

Now I must make leek, potato and bacon soup today, to use up ingredients, after doing some work on a nice simple LMS cattle wagon.

Pigs ( for bacon) can be transported in one of those!

Further (simple) instructions can be supplied if required.

NB I'm sure you must know this, but please do not put a can, or anything metallic, in the microwave.

Many thanks indeed,

Though being very dim with regard to culinary things, I do know not to put anything metal into a microwave - or a damp poodle! 

You're writing to the world's least-emancipated man. I admit, I've been ruined. For most of the time, I use the kitchen as a thoroughfare. There are many mysterious items in it, some big, some small. Some get hot and others get cold. Some make whirring noises and others gurgle. I don't use an ironing iron because I don't want to burn my ear if anyone phones up at the same time. 

With regard to RTH soups (what a lovely twist of English), whereas I NEVER read loco kit instructions, I diligently read those on the cans - and those on the wrappers on the microwave stuff. 

All of which goes to show (as with many I'd suggest) that blokes (particularly domestic duffers like me) would be totally helpless without their wives/girlfriends/partners. I couldn't have achieved anything in railway modelling (assuming I have achieved anything) without the unstinting support of Mo. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

You can recreate weather conditions in 4mm scale using this technique, however.  The representation of lightning is very impressive. 

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks indeed,

Though being very dim with regard to culinary things, I do know not to put anything metal into a microwave - or a damp poodle! 

You're writing to the world's least-emancipated man. I admit, I've been ruined. For most of the time, I use the kitchen as a thoroughfare. There are many mysterious items in it, some big, some small. Some get hot and others get cold. Some make whirring noises and others gurgle. I don't use an ironing iron because I don't want to burn my ear if anyone phones up at the same time. 

With regard to RTH soups (what a lovely twist of English), whereas I NEVER read loco kit instructions, I diligently read those on the cans - and those on the wrappers on the microwave stuff. 

All of which goes to show (as with many I'd suggest) that blokes (particularly domestic duffers like me) would be totally helpless without their wives/girlfriends/partners. I couldn't have achieved anything in railway modelling (assuming I have achieved anything) without the unstinting support of Mo. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I made a mess of our work microwave with tinned soup. Just tipped into bowel and nuked.

Someone said to put a plate over the top.

Didn't I do it at home?

We don't have a microwave oven, as hardly used it and it was starting to fail.

Boiling in saucepan is no slower than using a microwave oven.

Things in kitchen, I got very technical when we replaced the oven and stuff.

I have also repaired the washing machine.

Funning that I can quote model numbers of TV, PC CPU (Q8200), a few of my VCRs but not the kitchen white goods.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

After seeing what Peter Jackson said about WW1, they saw colour and remembered it like that.

Monochrome is fine for artistic reasons, but my favourite 1960s stuff is Ivo Peters Cine footage.

• Like 2

My favourite of those B&W copies of the photos is the top one. It looks as if someone took a happy snap of their house and a goods train was plodding by in the background. Very nice indeed and very inspirational. Second up for me is the photo of the station building.

regards,

Craig W

Many thanks.

Though I would never dare to compare myself with the incomparable Colin Gifford ( that could well be tautology!), I think B&W images of steam-age models are far more redolent of the period.

So, those same scenes as earlier, now in monochrome................

attachicon.gifAusterity on Up minerals.jpg

attachicon.gifBritannia on Up fitted goods.jpg

attachicon.gifJ6 on Down stopper.jpg

attachicon.gifJ6 shunting.jpg

attachicon.gifO2 4 on engineers' train.jpg

attachicon.gifV2 on parcels.jpg

attachicon.gifWilloughby Arms.jpg

I think I prefer these to the colour ones.

Thus enthused, I've 'monochromed' a few of my more recent images..............

attachicon.gifme 02.jpg

I think I look better in B&W, though Tim's use of muted colours on my clothes was perfect. 

attachicon.gifA2 on Down express.jpg

From an elevated viewpoint (the photographer must have climbed a tree!), I think this works, up to a point.

attachicon.gifK1 on Down empties.jpg

Standing on the loading dock now, the photographer captures a very shabby K1 on empty minerals. He's thin, of course, to be able to reach the 'far side'. 

attachicon.gifComplete footbridge 04.jpg

Because my camera has the comparative eye-line of a giant, I cannot get exactly the view a 4mm picture-taker would get if standing on the platform, but B&W certainly adds to the 'realism' of this shot I think. 

attachicon.gifO2 2 63927.jpg

Again, the photographer would have been standing on stilts on Marsh Bridge to get this view of an O2/1 plodding southwards. With only a couple of exceptions, all the prototype views of LB from this angle are in BW, and those in colour were taken after the station closed. B&W, then, is much more 'realistic'.

attachicon.gifScratch-built Flying Pig 43127.jpg

Apart from one (more distant) colour shot, I have nothing in polychrome with regard to prototype shots of the MR/M&GNR bit. Again, then, B&W is much more appropriate. This shot was taken before Tony Gee installed his lovely M&GNR lower-quadrant signals. 

attachicon.gifsecond SEF J6 weathered 03.jpg

And, apart from a few KRP colour shots of J6s, by far the vast majority of the pictures I have of these ubiquitous ex-GNR 0-6-0s are in monochrome.

I think B&W is the way forward, at least for part of the time. 

If you are going black and white ... a couple of thoughts .... or three

Might you consider rigging up a directional light source to produce some shadows? Might give even more atmosphere?

I think the shots might benefit from a little more work on the sky ... even if only a darkening towards the top to give a feel of distance.

Finally, it might be fun to play around a little with graining .. just to add a little noise.

Excellent shots though icon_e_thumbup.png

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 1