Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

A diversion, Clive?

Nonsense, it's back to where it belongs.

Just one thing, may I please divert you away from your building of that electric coal elevator, at least for a short time? Divert you long enough to dispose of those ghastly tension-locks! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

Tension locks will go one day but for the moment they work and to me that is important while I get the whole layout sorted.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have seen smaller exhibition venues.

Now you can see why we bought this house.  Beth thought that she'd bought a house.   I knew that we'd bought a rather large shed. An owl lives in another part of it off the top right where we keep our logs.

Jamie

• Like 7

Have you got any of the Hungry Horse chain of pubs in your neck of the woods? They do a very nice steak and ale pie, you can swap the normally offered chips for mash, comes with lashings of gravy as well:)

They also served the worse pub sandwich I have ever had! 

It further reinforced my already very poor view of Greene King.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to change the subject a bit - Have just received  my subs copy of BRM which has the Little Bytham DVD on the front cover attached with gorilla snot. Very nice film showing a variety of trains on the M&GN and ECML sections. 

What an excellent description. Why can't they use the same formulation as everyone else, that comes off both surfaces properly?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Well that was a long break from RMweb, it’s amazing how used you become to being able to log in and catch up... I had to do some modelling instead!  Now, where were we....?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

It's good to have RMweb back.

Thanks to Andy and his team for fixing it.

I'm just off to the Stafford Show for the weekend - an excellent event. I'll be demonstrating loco/stock-building and loco-doctoring.

Mo is still recovering well, but she'll not be with me, preferring to fully-recover (with help from the lads) at home. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Yes, a welcome back to RMweb.

Having learnt/taken a leaf from TW I've indulged in a bit of horse trading with Jerry (Queensquare). In exchange for taking and supplying some photos (N/2mm kit built modernish wagons and multiple units) I've now got a kit to build a S&DJR 7F 2-8-0 - well a partial kit. I've already got a suitable chassis and although it will be a challenge (some fabrication of missing parts to undertake) I'm confident of building it. However, I can't start for a while due to household chores, the need to write an article (as requested) for BRM and some other modelling projects already started.

G.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chamby said:

Well that was a long break from RMweb, it’s amazing how used you become to being able to log in and catch up... I had to do some modelling instead!  Now, where were we....?

Me too.

Got a recent EBay purchase DCC (there we go - Tony will dislike that one) fitted Dapol Hall delivered a couple of weeks ago and tried it out, it was a bit of a faff to reprogramme but it was told resistance is futile and it accepted the programming - tried it out on the test track and it turned out to be a very poor runner despite being advertised as tested and a good runner. I thought in for a penny and stripped it right down. My goodness, it was packed full of grease covering the whole gear train to the point where it was oozing out of the frames and leaving oily deposits everywhere. Cleaned most of it out and it is now a really sweet runner.

Encouraged by that I then tackled a Dapol Manor which has been a thorn in my side for ages. It'd run but it was surging and cutting out. Stripped it down and I'm shocked at how the pickups are arranged on the loco. Like many of the Dapol N Gauge offerings it is tender drive via a layshaft to a gear tower in the loco. The frames are metal with a plastic block acting as a frame spacer. The loco pickups are done by using a split frame arrangement hence the plastic spacer block. Now comes the odd bit - the pickup connections to the tender are fixed to the bottom of the footplate and held in place by a small screw that is also used to secure the locomotive end of the wires to the tender. Those connections are a phosphor bronze or similar finger that just bears on the top of the sideframes. Unfortunately the top of the sideframes is covered in overspray and stray oil from the gear train ...

Clean the oil off and then out with the trusty fibreglass pencil to polish up the frames and put it all back together adding a little more pressure from the fingers. and away she went quite sweetly. It seems that the paint and oil had conspired to disable pickup from one side when running on the layout but not when on the workbench with the loco upside down. It is also not helped by the fact that the footplate is just a clip fit to the chassis block.

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

The scene around the top of Gasworks Tunnel on CF is now looking suitably run down and I hope captures the atmosphere of London N1 in the 30s.

Tim

Very run down and atmospheric. Great modelling.

G

• Agree 7

18 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The scene around the top of Gasworks Tunnel on CF is now looking suitably run down and I hope captures the atmosphere of London N1 in the 30s.

2rw5bat.jpg

Even with all the pollution, there is still some greenery, with ivy attacking a building quite vigorously.  The tree next to it is at least 35 years old.

70gw9t.jpg

Tom’ Knapp’s magnificently painted Paget Mission building is well bedded-in with a new pavement in front, has a LFB Street Alarm in front of it, as well as bollards at the end to protect it from way-ward vehicles.  It will needs some signs on it.

141jujc.jpg

Meanwhile, the entrance to the KX Goods Yard is looking a bit more official. 

5osguu.jpg

All it needs now is the rest of the layout behind it to flesh out the pictures  (and a better photographer!)

Tim

I am also loving the atmos. I can almost see the steam wafting over the parapet, and I bet there are a couple of dead bodies stuffed in the outhouse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, Tony Wright said:

I'm just off to the Stafford Show for the weekend - an excellent event. I'll be demonstrating loco/stock-building and loco-doctoring.

Mo is still recovering well, but she'll not be with me, preferring to fully-recover (with help from the lads) at home. 

It was nice to see you today and you were in good form. You seemed to have a magic wand on fixing my poorly running kit built Castle. A few photos on my thread when the weather warms up.;)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MJI said:

A message for Tony

As the forum now puts a mad T next to Tony can he please be given an avatar, something Little Bythamy would be nice.

Martin

I thought he'd become part of 1980s British Telecom!

• Funny 1

As the new layout seems to need a post to get it into the Activity list, here is a Class 40 heading back to the Midlands. The split code versions were rare beasts in NE England, and I was going to dispose of it. However, it's posted here because I weathered it having re-watched Tom Wright working on a Deltic with chalk pastels on one of the DVD series. In my case, I used Tamiya products, but basically the same stuff as Tom. 

IMG_20190201_095333.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

On the modelling bench at the moment: some Enginemen picked up from the Modelu stand at Warley last November, currently in a half-painted state.   The detail on them is delightful, I only hope I don't lose too much of it under a layer of acrylic paint.

It has got me wondering... is there a collective noun for enginemen?

Edited by Chamby
spelling error

• RMweb Premium
On 2/1/2019 at 7:19 PM, CF MRC said:

2rw5bat.jpg

Even with all the pollution, there is still some greenery, with ivy attacking a building quite vigorously.  The tree next to it is at least 35 years old.

70gw9t.jpg

Tom’ Knapp’s magnificently painted Paget Mission building is well bedded-in with a new pavement in front, has a LFB Street Alarm in front of it, as well as bollards at the end to protect it from way-ward vehicles.  It will needs some signs on it.

141jujc.jpg

Meanwhile, the entrance to the KX Goods Yard is looking a bit more official. 

5osguu.jpg

All it needs now is the rest of the layout behind it to flesh out the pictures  (and a better photographer!)

Tim

Having had the pleasure of seeing this little bit of the layout yesterday, I would just like to say that it looks even better in the flesh. When you see it in a photo, with nothing to gauge the size, you really don't get the feeling of just how small it all is. The finesse of tiny components, beautifully painted and composed, is modelling of the highest standard.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It was nice to see you today and you were in good form. You seemed to have a magic wand on fixing my poorly running kit built Castle. A few photos on my thread when the weather warms up.;)

My pleasure, Robin,

I hope it's still running sweetly. I hope you weren't too alarmed at my hacking great lumps out of the Castle's interior. Two observations, if I may (I think I pointed these out). One; the cylinders must be attached to the frames, either by a tack of solder or glue, or, preferably, by being screwed in place. Having them fall out of the frames when taking the body off is nonsense. Two; if the body cannot be removed from the frames without it being a very tight squeeze then something is wrong (RTR manufacturers, please note). The principal reason for your loco's noise was because the flywheel was catching inside the firebox (hence my assault on the interior with a bastard file!). 

Many thanks for your most-generous donation to Cancer Research. Along with other donations and the sales of Syd's RTR locos/stock, I've come back home with £183.00 to give to CRUK (many thanks again Syd/Juke). May I thank all those who donated so generously? One friend handed over a fiver (because he always does - thanks again Gordon) and another chap handed over a tenner because I answered his questions! 

May I also thank the organisers of the Stafford Show for putting on such a splendid event, and also all those who enquired as to Mo's health? She really is much better, thank you.

Finally, may I please thank all those (many) people who said how much they liked the LB article and DVD in the latest issue of BRM, and also those (many) people who agreed with everything I'd written in the RM? Would it surprise anyone on here to know that not one of those Facebook critics came up to me in person at Stafford and explained to me why they thought my RM piece was so bad? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
poor punctuation - Yes! I forgot a question mark
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2