Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Mike Radford hasn't forgotten that review, Tony - it came up the last time I spoke to him at a show.  It was one of the earlier brass kits I built and I don't recall many problems except that there was a lack of information about the underframe layout.  It trundled around Thurston for years.

thombz.jpg

Are there any springs on the second one you've illustrated above?

It would appear not! 

Many thanks Tony.  Re the seam, I will probably sand it down a bit but leave it a bit rough.  I spent a lot of time looking at the 'new' Mayflower as well as a few other pictures and sometimes it does look as though their might be a seam(weld) in it as though it had been fabricated as a two piece unit.  However, on other picture there is no hint of a seam.  

again many thanks that sort of information to us expats is invaluable.

Just now, dibateg said:

Tony - you'll have to copy Roy Jackson - I saw him with 3 sets of glasses round his neck once!

I think that's an idea, Tony,

Especially having squirmed underneath the baseboards today to replace a (yet another!!!!!) SEEP point motor. I really need 'upside-down' glasses, because, no matter how hard I try, the sharp field of vision is never quite where I want it when performing my contortionist's act. 

These SEEP point motors are really disappointing. In 11 years, that's over a dozen failed. Not to start with, but they're failing at the rate of three a year now, and it appears to be an increasing rate. 

How many Peco point motors did we have fail on Stoke and Charwelton? Two, in over a hundred shows, spread over 20 years? False economy on my part. Never again. I'm not replacing the SEEPs like for like; no, with Peco point motors.

Regards,

Tony.  

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Mike Radford hasn't forgotten that review, Tony - it came up the last time I spoke to him at a show.  It was one of the earlier brass kits I built and I don't recall many problems except that there was a lack of information about the underframe layout.  It trundled around Thurston for years.

thombz.jpg

Are there any springs on the second one you've illustrated above?

54 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It would appear not! 

Good Evening Gentlemen, 

It appears you both have problems with your Stratford BGZ under gubbins. They had an unusual arrangement of W irons and springs. The W iron was on the outside and the spring on the inside. Paul Bartlett has some nice photos in his collection. 

1 hour ago, Theakerr said:

Many thanks Tony.  Re the seam, I will probably sand it down a bit but leave it a bit rough.  I spent a lot of time looking at the 'new' Mayflower as well as a few other pictures and sometimes it does look as though their might be a seam(weld) in it as though it had been fabricated as a two piece unit.  However, on other picture there is no hint of a seam.  

again many thanks that sort of information to us expats is invaluable.

Just a few images of possible use..........................

692997346_B161379York3.5.582197.jpg.7147441b775fdc22dfac13b19fe5862d.jpg

MAYFLOWER herself, at York in 1958. Impossible to tell exactly if the coal division plate has been moved forward, though it could well have been.

529038253_B161033.jpg.bac169889c343c080c5666a299e89cac.jpg

DIBATAG, at Doncaster in the early-'50s, The plate will be to the rear, but it's very low.

1482747333_B161170.jpg.f5c7c46163f5fb5a09089d06fb43993b.jpg 

61170, also at Doncaster, around 1960. Plate still to the rear, and very tall.

1614455044_61026small.jpg.55f722ab4de88789e4ad51d6a451d2aa.jpg

61026, at Lincoln, in the early-'60s. This appears to have a tender with the plate still to the rear.

1008444342_B161120.jpg.5102aa59a93295ea22bf8bb4673323d4.jpg

61120, at Retford around 1963. Plate now forward, and tall. Why, as 'fastidious' modellers, do we bother to centre our cabside numbers? 

2137362876_V260803.jpg.bd0413c8fea0bec781f2acc1c8c7c23e.jpg

60803, at Lincoln, mid-'50s. Plate forward, and (just) evidence of a seam to the left. Someone was recently asking about the size of coal in locos' tenders. Look at the lump. It's as big as a man's torso!  

What do these show? That the moving forward of the rear coal division plate on the GS 4,200 gallon tenders was certainly not coincidental with the later style of BR emblem? I wonder if every one was altered.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Just a few images of possible use..........................

692997346_B161379York3.5.582197.jpg.7147441b775fdc22dfac13b19fe5862d.jpg

MAYFLOWER herself, at York in 1958. Impossible to tell exactly if the coal division plate has been moved forward, though it could well have been.

Were Jinties normally at York?  Seems well off the LM Region to me.

15 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Were Jinties normally at York?  Seems well off the LM Region to me.

47334, 47403, 47418, 47421, 47436, 47448 and 47556 were at at 50A at this time. Not only that, quite a few other 'Jinties' were also shedded at NER sheds in the late-'50s.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

I don't know where your local Specsavers is, Clive, but those W irons are definitely in front of the springs, skinny though they may be.

Hi Jonathan

OK on third view I can see something.  They could do with a bit of beefing up, they were not readily noticeable like the prototype.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Fitting in with Tony's ethos of making things for oneself, here are a few picks of a current project, a 4mm scale, RT Models tipper wagon modified to have a solid buffer beam rather than dumb buffers.  It's a white metal kit which has, sorry Tony, been glued together, weathering and painting is a mix of acrylics, pastel chalk and AK Interactive 'rust'.  Lighting is awful but you get the idea:

DSC01870.jpg

DSC01871.jpg

DSC01872.jpg

and, for a size comparison, with a Hornby 21T hopper:

DSC01873.jpg

John

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I shall endeavour to wear my RMweb name badge so you can identify me when I'm not leaning out of the cab of a 'Castle' (assuming your eyesight is good enough to see that much on my avatar).

If you're wandering by the DEMU stand and want to rest your weary self - by all means use our stand's chairs [on Saturday at least!]

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I think that's an idea, Tony,

Especially having squirmed underneath the baseboards today to replace a (yet another!!!!!) SEEP point motor. I really need 'upside-down' glasses, because, no matter how hard I try, the sharp field of vision is never quite where I want it when performing my contortionist's act. 

Tony.  

I have also had problems with field of focused vision whilst working underneath baseboards.  I mentioned this to my optician sister in law and she told me to go to the nearest supplier of cheap reading glasses and get the strongest I needed and use those.  At £1 for two pairs Asda's (Other suppliers are available) work a treat.   I keep a pair on my modelling desk and a pair in my toolbox for when I need to work under the layout.   They work a treat as long as I don't wear them for too long.   The alternative would be the very very expensive ones of the type that Dennis Taylor used for playing snooker.

Jamie

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

That's not a "seam" on the pickup dome, it's quite clearly a length of angle left over from the fitting of the division plate.

I was referring more to the piece of metal on the far left of the inside of the tender, though, on closer inspection, it looks more like the remains of a flange plate. 

Is that how the original plates were fixed on - by angle plates and flanges? It seems to make sense. Yet (and of course I can't immediately find the piece) I've read that the original plates were flame-cut off, and the new (further forward) ones welded in place. Flame-cutting off the old ones and welding in the new ones would seem to be a quicker procedure.

Anyway, thanks Mike.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point

7 hours ago, johndon said:

Fitting in with Tony's ethos of making things for oneself, here are a few picks of a current project, a 4mm scale, RT Models tipper wagon modified to have a solid buffer beam rather than dumb buffers.  It's a white metal kit which has, sorry Tony, been glued together, weathering and painting is a mix of acrylics, pastel chalk and AK Interactive 'rust'.  Lighting is awful but you get the idea:

DSC01870.jpg

DSC01871.jpg

DSC01872.jpg

and, for a size comparison, with a Hornby 21T hopper:

DSC01873.jpg

John

What wonderful work, John,

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1